Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Isn't there already a Farmer's market at the greyhound track every saturday? Nothing ever done with it for matches etc. and it's right beside Semple Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tastyt wrote: »
    I have just seen that plan for the new market in the town just over where the source is . Looks like a great idea, it’s a nice courtyard space there.

If they get the Saturday farmers market there, and a few events and gigs during the summer and during big games in the stadium it could be a great addition to the town centre.

Could be a lovely space for Christmas Market and Halloween too

That was planned for years. It was Thurles Town Council who hired design consultants in 2012/13 for the Liberty Square and town park projects. The money was allocated to these projects before abolition. Tipperary County Council just needlessly delayed these projects. They were probably hoping that they could spend this money elsewhere in the county, unfortunately for them concerns were raised about the progress by numerous people.

More paving bricks taken up and replaced with ready mix. Paving bricks being a repairable, reusable, more durable material. Eircom and Irish Water will soon be along to jackhammer this ready mix and patch it up. Irish Water loves patching concrete with poor tarmacadam. It’ll no doubt be ready mix for the Liberty Square refurbishment.

Forgot to ask. Drove past railway road yesterday and seen a banner on Stakelums “Happy Market”

Presuming it’s a Mr.Price/Home Savers type of store opening there. Noticed some calor gas bottles outside

Edit: It's a Polish shop going off data from the CRO

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Has Subway been scrapped?

Has Subway been scrapped?

Looks that way. https://restaurants.subway.com/ireland/tipperary/thurles/1-liberty-square-thurles

It’s still showing on the Subway website, so there could be a slim chance it’ll reopen.

• Advertisement

With regard to the new car park - I have to say I don't agree with the barrier system being installed. It will cause untold chaos along Slievenamon road with people going in there. Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Slievenamon road traffic was screwed when the bright sparks in planning gave permission for the bloody funeral home...
    Causes major delays when funerals take place.

mikep wrote: »
    Slievenamon road traffic was screwed when the bright sparks in planning gave permission for the bloody funeral home...
    Causes major delays when funerals take place.

Yep, that's true. I think though they only gave planning due to this new car park.

Also, from what I've read, it's a one way system - you can only go in from Slievenamon Road and out onto the square. I could be wrong though whereby you can also go out on Slievenamon but the square is out only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Yep, that's true. I think though they only gave planning due to this new car park.

It still shouldn't have been given planning in that area.

Oops! wrote: »
    It still shouldn't have been given planning in that area.

I fully agree. Especially given the traffic that Lidl will create once it's opened regardless of the fact that it will be connected with the Mill Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Also, from what I've read, it's a one way system - you can only go in from Slievenamon Road and out onto the square. I could be wrong though whereby you can also go out on Slievenamon but the square is out only.

Drive in at square presently, and in/out by Slievenamon rd,it will probably revert to pay and display when the barrier starts causing traffic issues!
    Some patchwork on Abbey Rd, like a minefield up there,,Clongour patching all coming assunder now too and only done a few days!

Drove past Subway and I see a To Let sign in the window. There was no need to apply for permission to extend opening hours. The rules were relaxed at the start of this pandemic. Subway franchises are probably finished here anyway in Ireland. Shocking amount of sugar in that “bread”
    Don’t consume carbs anyway, but I will miss the carbonated cherry Pepsi max

Those idiots have taken up the paving bricks outside formerly Lily Caplin/The Gate Cafe on Westgate and have poured ready mix concrete. No pipes burst, no damaged paving bricks, just unnecessary and aesthetically displeasing busy work.

Those badly redone strips on the road at the new Lidl development are an absolute disgrace. There's a "hill" on one of them which hit the exhaust system on my car last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭pedatron

Those badly redone strips on the road at the new Lidl development are an absolute disgrace. There's a "hill" on one of them which hit the exhaust system on my car last night.

One of the biggest hack jobs I've ever seen done on a road. It's going to fall to pieces once the weather gets very poor if not even before it. How could anyone look at that and say 'Yeah, that's a decent auld job lads. Well done.'

The ready mix laid last week.

Paving blocks 1996-2020
    Concrete 1 week

Such a disaster. I don't know why they had to install all the meters at the front of houses. Anyone?

Thanks to them and this new location my choices for a water softener location are either out the front of the house or in the attic. The mains on the old meter was perfect as it would have meant installing the softener in the kitchen where I wanted it. Argh!

They’re back on Abbey Road to repair the road surface and footpaths. Using a small Wacker plate (the kind you’d buy in Lidl) to flatten poor quality tarmac to concrete footpaths. The use of a yard brush suggests it’s going to be more patching despite resurfacing e.g planing and paving promised by council.

Irish Water’s parent company Eriva fully resurfaced the streets in Nenagh after laying gas pipes, it’s just Thurles and Tipperary town that get the watered down tar. How the council signs off on this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

They must have done a deal for the same watery stuff at Clongour!
    They spent all this week digging up and re doing what they done two weeks ago.
    Real amateur stuff.
    Traffic backed up to golf club most days because of their attempts at roadworks!

Presuming the defence forces are training here again? Helicopter circling the town, a number of their vehicles and personal. You can hear gunshots too. Sounds are coming from the north of the town.

• Advertisement

Presuming the defence forces are training here again? Helicopter circling the town, a number of their vehicles and personal. You can hear gunshots too. Sounds are coming from the north of the town.

I heard shots or what sounded like fireworks next door to my work place as few minutes ago.

Do you work beside the Munster?

Oops! wrote: »
    Do you work beside the Munster?

Nope, near Harvey's VW.

Kind of hard to tell if it was bangers or gunfire

They are in Semple Stadium. I’m near the church and it’s definitely in the stadium its happening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They are in Semple Stadium. I’m near the church and it’s definitely in the stadium its happening

That's sheedy give the lads a dressing down after Sunday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Flaming grill and pizza league Park Avenue. Another pizzeria in the town. What a great location though, near the railway station. Commuters, GAA fans, students etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Flaming grill and pizza league Park Avenue. Another pizzeria in the town. What a great location though, near the railway station. Commuters, GAA fans, students etc

Wow another pizza place on Friar street along with Mizzoni and Apache .

Hopefully they will have a sit in restaurant with this one maybe ? Ya great location to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Are they a franchise or is it just a once off diner set up by someone local?

Who owns the Park Avenue now?

• Advertisement

Are they a franchise or is it just a once off diner set up by someone local?

Once off I believe. There’s no other takeaways or restaurants with that name

Advertisement