Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booze deals [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was in a Tesco today and their self service checkout wouldn't take contactless for a €35 payment, I read some BS from them the other day about updating their systems blah blah... if independent stores and relatively small chains can do it they can. Nul points, Tesco.

Yes can't understand it, Dunnes, SuperValu did it, a tiny butchers near me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Yes can't understand it, Dunnes, SuperValu did it, a tiny butchers near me too.

Aldi have upped the contactless limit too whick is great, think its 50 too

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Was in a Tesco today and their self service checkout wouldn't take contactless for a €35 payment, I read some BS from them the other day about updating their systems blah blah... if independent stores and relatively small chains can do it they can. Nul points, Tesco.

Yes, just Tesco being lazy. Also claiming the amount of sales in the 30-50 bracket wasn't enough to justify changing their system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

So what are the hours for alcohol sales today?
    Do Lidl and Aldi choose to operate on Sunday hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mgray wrote: »
    Also claiming the amount of sales in the 30-50 bracket wasn't enough to justify changing their system.
    That is crazy as an excuse, esp. as most people are doing far bigger shops these days, or should be trying to. The hand santiizer and wipes at their self service checkouts probably cost more to get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Possible that their IT systems people are UK based and cannot/will not make a change. Equally, they may just have decided not to bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

sceach16 wrote: »
    Possible that their IT systems people are UK based and cannot/will not make a change. Equally, they may just have decided not to bother!

They were saying that it required each reader being manually upgraded, x thousand across all their stores.

They didn't want to do it and risk a malfunction of all pos terminals, which would obviously not be ideal.

Given that the update has been applied and is now running fine in smaller retailers, any further delay in implementing the roll out would look like heel-dragging on Tescos part.

Surely they could do it on a store by store basis, overnight, while shelves are being stocked, and have it tested before opening time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Been drinking cans so I dont have to go to a bottle bank but if I drink any more Im going to turn into a can.

So its time for bottles. Any good deals going on bottles of craft beers delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ben Done wrote: »
    They were saying that it required each reader being manually upgraded, x thousand across all their stores.

They didn't want to do it and risk a malfunction of all pos terminals, which would obviously not be ideal.

Given that the update has been applied and is now running fine in smaller retailers, any further delay in implementing the roll out would look like heel-dragging on Tescos part.

Surely they could do it on a store by store basis, overnight, while shelves are being stocked, and have it tested before opening time?

Sorry to off topic but Tesco were one of the last supermarkets to have contactless payment. Ridiculous really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

MadYaker wrote: »
    Been drinking cans so I dont have to go to a bottle bank but if I drink any more Im going to turn into a can.

So its time for bottles. Any good deals going on bottles of craft beers delivered?

Are you Dublin based?

Martin's are doing a delivery service, along with crafty central which is a website.

However, the big romance bar are doing cases of 24 cans of body riddle or whiplash, cases are 56 euro which is great value. Also doing draught beer in growlers, lervig had a stout (not the 3 bean one) on the list the other day when I was ordering.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ben Done wrote: »

Yeah, that's a BS excuse. They've been in need of upgrading for yonks anyway to be able to accept Google/Applepay payments over €30 so they have even more reason than other retailers to do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

MadYaker wrote: »

12 x bottles from St Mels for e32 here:
    https://beercloud.ie/product/st-mels-mixed-case/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

elderberry wrote: »
    12 x bottles from St Mels for e32 here:
    https://beercloud.ie/product/st-mels-mixed-case/
    Some decent deals on Beer Cloud. I got 24 bottles of Sheep Stealer Saison delivered for €50. Not a bargain but good value IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

1ltr Powers is €30 in supervalu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is Lidl doing slabs of Guinness at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Lidl were doing Guinness at the weekend 24 cans for €20. It depends on your local Lidl's stock levels I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

geordi wrote: »
    Some decent deals on Beer Cloud. I got 24 bottles of Sheep Stealer Saison delivered for €50. Not a bargain but good value IMHO.
    Shame the delivery costs €12 though

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Shame the delivery costs €12 though

Was €6 delivery for me. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Bought a Boom Box for €65 plus €8 delivery from Third Barrel. Delivery pushes up unit cost but I like the brew and not easy to get

https://thirdbarrel.com/product/boom-box/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Not sure if it's amazing or not but 4 x Cobra 660ml bottles in Dunnes for €10. Got them today in town (George's St.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Hi

If anyone comes across deals on cans of bulmers in Dunne’s, Tesco or Centra can you please update. Had surgery so can’t drive at the moment so cant send shopper in & out of shops
    C
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭magicmoves

Bannergal wrote: »
    Hi

If anyone comes across deals on cans of bulmers in Dunne’s, Tesco or Centra can you please update. Had surgery so can’t drive at the moment so cant send shopper in & out of shops
    C
    Thanks

You can get 4 cans for 8 euro with tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

magicmoves wrote: »
    You can get 4 cans for 8 euro with tesco

tesco best price per ml at the moment is 12cans for 19euro, which is expensive.

Linden village (made by bulmers and 6%) is a fiver for a 2L flagon, and has been for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭BullBauld

24 cans of Guinness for €20 in my local Lidl. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BullBauld wrote: »

I'm getting sick of it now to be honest gotta pick up something else. I opened one last night the widget didn't react and poured like a glass of coke. I mean I drank it but totally put me off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If anyone is in a border area- Sainsburys have a wine sale on at the moment- lots of nice wines in the £5-6 ranges. Also Kahlua 70cl @ £10 a bottle. 1 litre Absolut @ £20 etc etc

No discounts on whiskey unfortunately :(

Edit: Tullibardine Sauternes Finish Malt Whisky 70cl @ £30, reduced from £45....... Not cheap, but nice...........

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm getting sick of it now to be honest gotta pick up something else. I opened one last night the widget didn't react and poured like a glass of coke. I mean I drank it but totally put me off

I have Carlsberg also for these nice warm days. Nicer with the BBQ.
    I poured one last week and it was like sour milk. It was foul looking. I did not drink it! The only bad one out of the slab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

BullBauld wrote: »

I checked in mine twice no slabs at all.When did it start today

sasta le wrote: »
    I checked in mine twice no slabs at all.When did it start today

Not sure to be honest. Was in around 4:30 today.... loads there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rob316 wrote: »

I hate when the widget doesn't react and in my opinion it happens way too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rubadub wrote: »
    Linden village (made by bulmers and 6%) is a fiver for a 2L flagon, and has been for ages.

since 1994 if I remember correctly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Can people mention the lidi they get the Guinness in please? I've been in three and none had them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Can people mention the lidi they get the Guinness in please? I've been in three and none had them.

Appropriate username regarding how you’re dealing with the situation ;-)

Loads left in Lidl Cabra, D7 today

Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

What's beamish from a can like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

At a time when most people are staying at home and cutting trips to an absolute minimum you decided to visit 3 different supermarkets looking for f***ing Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

At a time when most people are staying at home and cutting trips to an absolute minimum you decided to visit 3 different supermarkets looking for f***ing Guinness?

Look at their username. They need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

No, I decided to visit 3 different supermarkets looking for f***ING Guinness that is €20 for 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Andrew00 wrote: »
    What's beamish from a can like

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. A lot better than Guinness from a can. Any offers about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. A lot better than Guinness from a can. Any offers about?

Murphy’s is head and shoulders above both Guinness and Beamish in can form.

Never talked about though as it’s never on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Bannergal wrote: »
    Hi

C
    Thanks

Dunnes have 24x440ml cans for €30 however they also had 12x500ml cans for €15.50 which works out at better value than the slab!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

kn wrote: »
    Dunnes have 24x440ml cans for €30 however they also had 12x500ml cans for €15.50 which works out at better value than the slab!!

Yes, noticed the slabs are 440ml.

Guinness. Budweiser and Carlsberg 500ml are €34.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Dunno if this belongs here but there's a beer in Aldi called Kortenhoef and I find it not too bad at all. Comes in 8 packs and is only 7.79 or something like that. Under 8 euro anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Anything on Heineken lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got 330ml cans of foxes rock american style IPA for a steal €.50 on Wednesday.

dated the end of the month. This was in Dunnes Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Anything on Heineken lads?

20 euro for a box of 20 bottles in tesco , probably the best you'll do at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,467 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1968 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's amazing or not but 4 x Cobra 660ml bottles in Dunnes for €10. Got them today in town (George's St.)

They usually have Estrella and Staropramen 660 4 for €10 as well.

Watch out though, the 660 Staropramen is brewed in the UK and not nearly as nice as the 500mL bottles brewed in Prague.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any offers on Baileys or something close to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Watch out though, the 660 Staropramen is brewed in the UK and not nearly as nice as the 500mL bottles brewed in Prague.

ive def been caught out by this so. :confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The 4 x 660 ml bira Moretti is also really nice. 10 euro.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement