Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst company you have ever come across?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

pgj2015 wrote: »
    neither is a cleaning job, but if a cleaner didn't clean your house right you wouldn't hire them again would ya? low pay is no excuse for not doing your job right.

All of the courier companies have hundreds of parcels to deliver each day. I find DPD and GLS the least reliable courier companies but I still would not like their job of driving a van around trying to deliver parcels to people who are not there half the time, people with hard to find addresses in the middle of nowhere etc. Each driver has more than just your parcel to deliver each day. What he gets paid for delivering your parcel would not be a days wages, after paying for fuel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

addaword wrote: »
    All of the courier companies have hundreds of parcels to deliver each day. I find DPD and GLS the least reliable courier companies but I still would not like their job of driving a van around trying to deliver parcels to people who are not there half the time, people with hard to find addresses in the middle of nowhere etc. Each driver has more than just your parcel to deliver each day. What he gets paid for delivering your parcel would not be a days wages, after paying for fuel etc.

What?

You mean they get more than 3.85 euro per day and there are other parcels in the van too?

Everyday's a school day, thanks for sharing that insider information.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Still no excuse for not doing your job right. I mean I have had drivers asking me to drive into town to collect the parcel which they shouldn't do if you paid for it to be delivered to your house but fastway throw my parcels on my lawn and into hedges.

Still no excuse for not doing your job right. I mean I have had drivers asking me to drive into town to collect the parcel which they shouldn't do if you paid for it to be delivered to your house but fastway throw my parcels on my lawn and into hedges.
    If you are at home and the address is correct there is no excuse for not delivering to you. DPD throwing it over a fence to GLS putting it in a bin is no excuse either.

If you are at home and the address is correct there is no excuse for not delivering to you. DPD throwing it over a fence to GLS putting it in a bin is no excuse either.

yes, the address and eircode are correct and there is always someone at home, still thrown on the lawn at the end of the road.

• Advertisement

The worst company I ever came across....possibly Telecom Eireann or whatever they were called then, the monopoly position phone company in the eighties who took 9 months to install a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

The worst company I ever came across....possibly Telecom Eireann or whatever they were called then, the monopoly position phone company in the eighties who took 9 months to install a landline.

9 Months........I remember when it was 5 years :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well this is it, competing with amazon and other large e-commerce companies has turned the whole thing into a race to the bottom for every courier company. Fastway charge us 3.50 for the a4 satchel size, its a ridiculous price for courier delivery. Fastway driver on our route currently has 350 parcels a day plus collections, its an impossible workload. They simply don't even have time to ring your bell and wait for you to answer so dumping it in your lawn is the only way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

9 months was short - a decade wasn't unheard of. We only got a landline quickly in the 80s when my parents moved because someone else got cut off and we were top of the list due to being existing subscribers moving. We got their debt collectors calling for ages after as the number was recycled!

The state wasn't releasing sufficient funding to P&T for improvements.

After restructuring and investment, still state-owned Telecom Eireann got to the stage of having a world class network and then it was let rot once privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Albert Reynolds became Minster for Posts & Telegraphs and said he would get phone line installation down to 3 months.

He was mocked and jeered and nobody believed him

Applied that successful business mentality he had and fair play, he achieved it.

Nowadays 3 months would be seen a scandal but it was a success story back then. A rare example of a Minister kicking ass and getting results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Like all courier companies, you get good drivers and bad drivers. And sometimes drivers can be extra busy or have breakdowns etc. I find fastway very good but everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is not an easy or high paid job being a courier I bet.

Yes, but when sometimes is always then people have a right to form a bad view of them. I agree we are all entitled to our opinion, based on our experiences. Unfortunately mine have mostly been bad, and the only thing that would change my opinion on them as a service provider is if they were suddenly to improve. Someone else telling me they "never had a problem" doesn't really do much for me, or make me feel better about my parcel which is now 2 weeks outstanding.

Whether a job is difficult or not is irrelevant. My job is difficult, I don't use that as an excuse to do it badly.

rob316 wrote: »
    Well this is it, competing with amazon and other large e-commerce companies has turned the whole thing into a race to the bottom for every courier company. Fastway charge us 3.50 for the a4 satchel size, its a ridiculous price for courier delivery. Fastway driver on our route currently has 350 parcels a day plus collections, its an impossible workload. They simply don't even have time to ring your bell and wait for you to answer so dumping it in your lawn is the only way.

What if every business took this approach? the chipper half cooks your burger as it will take too long to cook it right and we are too busy for that, you get food poisoning.

the taxi driver drops you off on the side of the road as he doesn't have time to bring you the whole way, gets paid the full fare and you get mugged on the way home or knocked down by a car.

your accountant doesn't do your books properly and you end up being fined by revenue.

someone on here said fastway left a fridge at the wrong house, and they left computer equipment worth thousands outside in the rain on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What if every business took this approach? the chipper half cooks your burger as it will take too long to cook it right and we are too busy for that, you get food poisoning.

the taxi driver drops you off on the side of the road as he doesn't have time to bring you the whole way, gets paid the full fare and you get mugged on the way home or knocked down by a car.

your accountant doesn't do your books properly and you end up being fined by revenue.

someone on here said fastway left a fridge at the wrong house, and they left computer equipment worth thousands outside in the rain on the footpath.

The courier industry is one of THE most competitive industries going... couries are under severe pressure due to this... most operators i know have time definitive deliveries ie. guaranteed delivery by xx time or your money back... most companies have couriers delivering in too large a delivery area where they will struggle to meet their time commitment to the customer unless they drive over the limit, take chances and drop a package or two without a signature being obtained as they only have to redeliver the next day.. that said there is NO excuse for any courier 'leaving' a package either in a porch or anywhere without obtaining a signature... the height of carelessness and disregard..for the customer and their delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Great service: DPD. They deliver to both our workplaces, and cannot fault either delivery driver. The SMS notification is largely correct, but never had a lost item yet. Keith who does Dublin 7 is especially wonderful.

Terrible: Fastway, and by association, UPS and Amazon. Ordered something from Amazon US... got an email eventually to say if I didn’t collect it from the carrier within 48 hours it would be returned to the US at my expense. Followed the tracking; UPS had handed it on to Fastway, and they claimed they’d tried to deliver it but access to my door was blocked. My front door is 2m from the footpath, no gates etc. Large argument, nasty message sent via SMS from Fastway - I took a screen grab from Google showing my front door. Eventually a warehouse storeman arrived at 10.30pm to deliver it.

Two years later, again ordered from Amazon US. Two weeks later got an email to contact the carrier... yes, UPS had handed it on to Fastway who claimed they’d attempted delivery twice and I’d have to come out to the depot to collect it. You couldn’t actually speak to anyone though as their telephone customer service no longer worked - all online chat bots. I explained that these attempts were codswallop as I’d been home with the stomach flu. Eventually I sent them photos of my CCTV cameras and asked them to confirm the date and time of the delivery attempts. My doorbell rang the next morning at 6.30am, the Fastway van driving off before I’d even unset the house alarm.

Sky are crap. We’ve had problems with broadband and maintaining a connection to our Sky boxes for almost two months. Their scripted response is to ‘run a speed test’. We sent them a video showing the network disconnecting 17 times inside of 2 minutes. We had nearly 200 speed tests within a fortnight, but they wanted more.

AnPost fluctuate. Had a parcel sit inside Portlaise mail centre since mid January. Logged a complaint query early February, never got a response so I claimed it through PayPal as the retailer refused to believe I couldn’t go 150kms to collect it. They delivered it yesterday I kid you not. Last year my sister sent me a package and I sent her one, happened to be the same day in mid November - Christmas present exchange She lives abroad. Mine to her sat in Portlaise for three weeks even though it was an ‘Express International’ Service. Hers to me was a balls up; Anpost relabel incoming packages with new tracking numbers... except they gave one tracking number to three different packages. The first package went to Clonmel.. not mine. The second package went the other side of Dublin, also not mine. Mine eventually turned up ten days later but only after multiple phone calls. Last Anpost story; was expecting a package, eventually checked tracking to see Three delivery attempts recorded. I hadn’t received a missed delivery card. I went up to the depot and collected the package and raised that I’d not received any cards. I could hear the postman out back calling me a liar. So I asked fir the dates and times as I was happy to provide CCTV footage. Eventually received a letter stating that there was a technical issue for two attempts which were acknowledged as false but the postman was adamant on the third attempt but could not provide details that could be verified. Lying bastards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »

After restructuring and investment, still state-owned Telecom Eireann got to the stage of having a world class network and then it was let rot once privatised.
    It got the world class network so it could be privatised and so the new owners could freewheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Three ‘broadband’

I think I broke something in my brain trying to cope with their product ‘broadband’ that was rubbish and as dreadful as dial up only less reliable or fast - and then having to cope with their Indian script reading customer dis-service robots. Utter nightmare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It got the world class network so it could be privatised and so the new owners could freewheel.

Only partially - a lot of the investment was by governments with no intention to privatise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CrowdedBear

Three ‘broadband’

I think I broke something in my brain trying to cope with their product ‘broadband’ that was rubbish and as dreadful as dial up only less reliable or fast - and then having to cope with their Indian script reading customer dis-service robots. Utter nightmare.

It all depends on your area. For me the Three broadband has been great. Living in rural south Dublin gives me 40Mb/s which was about an order magnitude fast than I was on previously and for less cost than any other solution I can't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Three Ireland are one of therworst, the Pakistan call centre are an absolute nightmare to deal with, couldnt understand a word they were saying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strumms wrote: »
    The courier industry is one of THE most competitive industries going... couries are under severe pressure due to this... most operators i know have time definitive deliveries ie. guaranteed delivery by xx time or your money back... most companies have couriers delivering in too large a delivery area where they will struggle to meet their time commitment to the customer unless they drive over the limit, take chances and drop a package or two without a signature being obtained as they only have to redeliver the next day.. that said there is NO excuse for any courier 'leaving' a package either in a porch or anywhere without obtaining a signature... the height of carelessness and disregard..for the customer and their delivery.

I tried out for one of the companies mentioned. In fairness to the interviewer, she painted a realistic and not very pretty picture of what working there would be like. Reprimands for being 5 mins late, ok, but also for being 5 mins EARLY? Come on it's just Karen waiting for her delivery of cat accessories from Wish.com, not a consignment of a life saving vaccine.
    Thanks but no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I tried out for one of the companies mentioned. In fairness to the interviewer, she painted a realistic and not very pretty picture of what working there would be like. Reprimands for being 5 mins late, ok, but also for being 5 mins EARLY? Come on it's just Karen waiting for her delivery of cat accessories from Wish.com, not a consignment of a life saving vaccine.
    Thanks but no thanks.

Sounds like you are exactly what DPD look for in their drivers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Antares35 wrote: »

Not afraid of work, just unreasonable expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

agfasfos wrote: »
    9 Months........I remember when it was 5 years :eek:.

A load of my neighbours who had been on the waiting list all got their phones installed at the same time during the mid 80s. Most of them had been waiting a few years, some of them almost ten years. This in Dublin! There were just no more lines available in the area until then.

L1011 wrote: »

They were actually investing pretty heavily but most of it was going into state of the art digital exchanges. Most of the country was still on manual exchanges, the cities had automatic but they were mechanical, worn out and a maintenance nightmare. If they'd just added more and more lines onto that system it would have collapsed so they had to sort out the exchanges first.

Source: brother in law was a TE engineer in the 80s, made out like a bandit with the employee share ownership plan...

Didn't have to pull in a favour from him to get a phone though, we had had one since at least the early 70s, out of hundreds of houses in the immediate area there weren't many phones then and it wasn't uncommon to have someone knock on the door asking to make a call.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

scabo33 wrote: »
    Vodafone for me. My wife is Canadian and couldn’t understand how bad the broadband was and that Vodafone kept bringing speeds down and lying about it. She needed the speed for he remote works. She tore them a new a hole over the phone one day and I feel sorry for the poor person at the other end but it never happened since. She says in North America you have to lose your temper to get things done. Ireland are just too relaxed about everything

Eirclose second. Just filled my first ComReg complaint. All 5 neighbours have broadband and we can’t get it becusse of eircode database error. Getting no where with 6 months and we can’t move into our new house. Hopefully ComReg help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Antares35 wrote: »

DPD only need someone who can throw the package out the window of the van in the general direction of the recipient's house while driving by at high speed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Vodafone for me. My wife is Canadian and couldn’t understand how bad the broadband was and that Vodafone kept bringing speeds down and lying about it. She needed the speed for he remote works. She tore them a new a hole over the phone one day and I feel sorry for the poor person at the other end but it never happened since. She says in North America you have to lose your temper to get things done. Ireland are just too relaxed about everything

i'd rather be us than northamerican

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

i'd rather be us than northamerican

Never had had any broadband probs while living there. We currently can’t get it here while neighbours all have it. Travel really opens up your mind and the Irish are just too relaxed about everything. Took me a year to get a mortgage nearly lost the house, just too relaxed everyone needs a good bollocking to get things done Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I call bull****

She just says she's Canadian so she doesn't have to admit to being american eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

Eirclose second. Just filled my first ComReg complaint. All 5 neighbours have broadband and we can’t get it becusse of eircode database error. Getting no where with 6 months and we can’t move into our new house. Hopefully ComReg help

Eir first by a mile, thousands of complaints about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

I find VF currently the best, Eir by far the v worst

Advertisement