Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Vulgar Favours, a true crime account of the murder of Versace

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

recyclops wrote: »
    only getting around to the dark tower series now, ( 33 years old dont know how i never started)

just finished the drawing of the three and all i can say is WOW

I'm in a similar position. Have it queued up on the Kindle to read next.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Is that her real surname?😊

I think so :) she's an American author

Currently reading Past Mortems by Carla Valentine

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Just finished "The North Water" by Ian McGuire.
    Victorian era novel set in the dying days of the whaling industry.

This novel plays out in a tough world & is an unrelenting, exciting & violent read.

I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A ton of Malice - Barry McKinly

Half way thru, very enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates. The protagonist is a racist, sexist, bigoted evangelical Christian whom I thoroughly hate. I'm bet into it.

A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold by George R.R Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just finished Call of the Wild by Jack London. Fantastic little book that I should have read years ago as a teenager. Starting White Fang next.

kimokanto wrote: »
    Just finished "The North Water" by Ian McGuire.
    Victorian era novel set in the dying days of the whaling industry.

This novel plays out in a tough world & is an unrelenting, exciting & violent read.

I loved it

Sounds like my kind of book...just ordered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Reading a thriller is a change of pace for me but this one was recommended to me by friends and work colleagues ,so decided to give it a go.
    Just finished chapter two and I may already be hooked.:D
    Critics are calling I AM PILGRIM Unputdownable ,Booklist The best book of 2014 Suspense Magazine The next Girl with the Dragon Tattoo , The New York Post A breakneck race against time and an implacable enemy An anonymous young woman murdered in a run down hotel all identifying characteristics dissolved by acid. A father publicly beheaded in the blistering heat of a Saudi Arabian public square .A notorious Syrian biotech expert found eyeless in a Damascus junkyard Smoldering human remains on a remote mountainside in Afghanistan. A flawless plot to commit an appalling crime against humanity .One path links them all and only one man can make the journey

• Advertisement

Reading a thriller is a change of pace for me but this one was recommended to me by friends and work colleagues ,so decided to give it a go.

Was very underwhelmed with this book to be honest and can't see what all the fuss is about. Lags badly in the middle and only picks up near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I loved this book, not the kind of thing I usually read very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lancaster against York by Trevor Royle. After reading some fictionalized history on the war of the Roses I decided to read something more non fiction based. He also has a book on the Cromwellian wars which I might read at some point.
    Also the North Water, mentioned above, sounds good. Going to read that next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I just bought Frank Herbert's Dune novel along with Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Can't wait to get stuck into them as i've been really eager to read Dune for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I just bought Frank Herbert's Dune novel along with Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Can't wait to get stuck into them as i've been really eager to read Dune for a while now.

Dune really is a fantastic book, massive scope and still an allegory for so much of the world.

I'd recommend God Emperor too, the later books and in particular the cash ins by Herberts son are poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I started The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

gutenberg wrote: »

Definitely up there as my favourite book that I read last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

gutenberg wrote: »

That book is unreal. Up there with one of my favourites.

Fatherland by Robert Harris. More of a thriller than I was expecting which I wouldnt usually read but very enjoyable all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

How are you finding it? I recently read The Choice by Edith Ever and it was a very interesting read. Thinking of buying this one next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

appledrop wrote: »
    How are you finding it? I recently read The Choice by Edith Ever and it was a very interesting read. Thinking of buying this one next.

I've an interest in history and have a 'gra' for WW2 to be honest, so just finding another viewpoint on this terrible time.

Saying that, the story itself is interesting, and the subjects pov is quite original and yet so very , very central to the full horrors of Auschwitz. It's really amazing how Man can be so barbaric and yet also amazing how Man can struggle to survive that very barbarity.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like an interesting read definitely on the list for the next book. If we get this snow in that we are promised I'll be flying through them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Dune is an amazing read, enjoy it, probably my all time favourite.

Right so finished reading Fatherland. I did really enjoy it but disappointed with the ending. Anyone else feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Reading a physics book called
    “the greatest story ever ...so far. Why are we here” by Lawrence M Krauss.

I have a biochemistry background and physics is not my strongpoint but this book is giving me a much better understanding of quantum mechanics.
    Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

I recently finished David Szalay's book - "All that man is"
    It reads more like a collection of short stories than a novel but this in no way reduces the quality of this book.
    There is a subtlety & simplicity to his writing which belies its magnificance.
    Bleak at times but touchingly sensative & funny also.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

Just finished The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay. Part 1 of a trilogy. From 19th C London to the convict colony of Van Diemen's Land, a really good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

appledrop wrote:
    Right so finished reading Fatherland. I did really enjoy it but disappointed with the ending. Anyone else feel the same?

It's on the list!! Just finished Conclave which wasn't bad, intriguing ending.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement