Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

The High Hills of Portugal by Yann Martel, (who also wrote Life of Pi)
    Very strange but still a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just finished Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson. Pretty random, but also engrossing. I enjoyed it!
    Thought it was better than Behind the Scenes at the Museum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just started The Grapes of Wrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Ipso wrote: »
    Just started The Grapes of Wrath.

Love Steinbeck!

I've started Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing, a novel following successive generations from west Africa, through slavery, and into modern times. It's good so far, if harrowing in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dial Hard wrote: »
    A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates. The protagonist is a racist, sexist, bigoted evangelical Christian whom I thoroughly hate. I'm bet into it.

Well after getting off to a promising start this ended up being an utter chore to read, so much so that I only finished it at the weekend and I normally read at a ferocious rate.

Oates used a couple of really clumsy devices constantly throughout the book and it all just got very tiresome. The focus also shifted onto two other characters who were just plain annoying. I really couldn't recommend it, at all.

I'm re-reading Stephen King's Joyland for a break after that odyssey, and then it'll be The Earlie King and the Kid in Yellow, which is post-apocalyptic fiction set in Ireland and looks like it might be a bit challenging, but hopefully no Girl Is a Half-Formed Thing because, quite frankly, my brain can't take it after 700-odd pages of Oates trying to be literary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just about to start the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

gutenberg wrote: »
    Love Steinbeck!

I've started Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing, a novel following successive generations from west Africa, through slavery, and into modern times. It's good so far, if harrowing in places.

Loved that book. Read it a few months ago and it is heart wrenchingly beautiful.

Just about to start the road.

I must re-read this. I read it before I had children, I'm sure I'll have a different perspective now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Grapes of Wrath is probably my favourite book, the writing is amazing. East of Eden also well worth a read.

I loved East of Eden and Of Mice and Men. A few chapters into The Grapes of Wrath now, it hasn't grabbed me straight away like East of Eden did.
    I like the way the geography of the area in both books is almost like a character in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Thargor wrote: »
    Grapes of Wrath is probably my favourite book, the writing is amazing. East of Eden also well worth a read.
    Cannery Row is a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Grief is the thing with feathers by Max Porter. It's been on my reading list forever but only getting around to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain. An entertaining read about how bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are a complete scam, and an ecological disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Am reading Alan Furst at the moment. Just bought a new one of his book. Have just finished the last one. Missed reading him. He creates a brilliant evocation of France (particularly Paris) and of Eastern Europe during the interwar and WWII period. Some say he is an acquired taste, I find otherwise. His books don't always end with a bang and with all strings neatly tied up but that is part of the appeal. Very impressive atmospheric recreation of time and place with imperfect protagonists. A bit Eric Ambler but with a very unique style specific to the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

quintana76 wrote: »
    Am reading Alan Furst at the moment. Just bought a new one of his book. Have just finished the last one. Missed reading him. He creates a brilliant evocation of France (particularly Paris) and of Eastern Europe during the interwar and WWII period. Some say he is an acquired taste, I find otherwise. His books don't always end with a bang and with all strings neatly tied up but that is part of the appeal. Very impressive atmospheric recreation of time and place with imperfect protagonists. A bit Eric Ambler but with a very unique style specific to the author.

Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot about him. I enjoyed his books immensely. Must look what's new since the last book I've read (it's years ago).

Currently I'm reading the Celcius Daly series by Anthony J. Quinn. It's about a catholic PSNI-detective working murders in the borderlands of Northern Ireland, always coming across dead bodies and other crimes from the past, that resonate until today, mixed in with all the bigotry that still prevails up North.
    I'm on the third book and not sure yet if I really like them. Still I keep on reading, just for the historical aspect. The stories are gripping, but very, very dark. Sometimes I need to read the joke thread on AH in between to be able to smile again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Phantom

From the Harry Hole series.

So far so good.

The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor, decent read :) could see it being made into a movie or tv show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Just finished a novel called Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, a mystery novel set in France during the 19th and 21st centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

branie2 wrote: »
    Just finished a novel called Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, a mystery novel set in France during the 19th and 21st centuries.

Loved that book!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mangan_Liam

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt. Have it a few years now and hadn't had the chance to read it yet. Quality read so far - would recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt. Have it a few years now and hadn't had the chance to read it yet. Quality read so far - would recommend

I love all the books by Donna Tartt (well, she only wrote three so far), but this one is her best, imo. It's quite a tome, but the story unfolds in such a gripping, though slow way and is so thoughtfully written and well-worded that it's a pure pleasure.

Her books combine high literature with excellent storytelling, including lots of food for thought.

Highly recommended!
    As are the other two ("The Secret History", "The Little Friend").

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

God is not great by Christopher Hitchens
    Pure genius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

A friend of mine is obsessed with Conn Iggulden and he's given me the books about Julius Caesar, The Wars of the Roses and the Mongol empire.
    I'm just finishing the last of the Mongol books. Quite brutal - understandably, given the periods in history encompassed by the books.
    A helluva a lot of reading - I found I was suffering from information overkill. I felt after five lengthy books on the Wars of the Roses that I knew a little more about the period - but most of it had been lost in the reading!
    I'm trying to decide if Iggulden is a very good author or simply a prolific one.
    In return I gave my friend Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem. As expected, my friend complained that there was too much story and not enough blood and gore!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Canister! On! Fire!

A rather obscure, but a few chapters in so far, very encompassing and well researched book (two volumes) on Royal Australian Armoured Corps operations in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I have just finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - it's now one of my favourite books ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man. Literally only starting it so haven't formed any opinion yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭8mv

The Temporary Gentlemanby Sebastian Barry. All the components are there - good story, well written as you would expect, but for some reason it left me cold.
    Just starting The Road To Little Dribling by Bill Bryson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I'm reading Origin by Dan Brown right now. Enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Canister! On! Fire!

A rather obscure, but a few chapters in so far, very encompassing and well researched book (two volumes) on Royal Australian Armoured Corps operations in Vietnam.

Out of interest do they cover that tank that was used in a nuclear test and went on to see service in Vietnam?

• Advertisement

indioblack wrote: »
    A friend of mine is obsessed with Conn Iggulden and he's given me the books about Julius Caesar, The Wars of the Roses and the Mongol empire.
    I'm just finishing the last of the Mongol books. Quite brutal - understandably, given the periods in history encompassed by the books.
    A helluva a lot of reading - I found I was suffering from information overkill. I felt after five lengthy books on the Wars of the Roses that I knew a little more about the period - but most of it had been lost in the reading!
    I'm trying to decide if Iggulden is a very good author or simply a prolific one.
    In return I gave my friend Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem. As expected, my friend complained that there was too much story and not enough blood and gore!

The Wars of the Roses is fascinating, I enjoyed his books but even with him omitting stuff, I found there are way too many characters to keep track of.
    I'm not too crazy about his writing, I much prefer Bernard Cornwell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement