Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

73Cat wrote: »
    I plan on rereading all my Stephen King books at some point. Black House was brilliant, it is linked in some way to another book of his if I remember correctly, possibly The Talisman. At the moment I am very slowly reading Sleeping Beauties by King and his son. Too many good books and not enough time:(

Yep, it's the follow-up to The Talisman.

I enjoyed Sleeping Beauties. There were a few clunky passages where I was like "That's definitely Owen's writing" but overall the joint effort worked well and it didn't go too far down the Under the Dome road of repugnantant toxic masculinity, which was a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Sacred - Denis Lebanese. Very enjoyable so far. Read some of his
    Other stuff and haven't been disappointed so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A God in Every Stone - Kamila Shamsie.

I adore how she writes.

Working Stiff Two Years, 262 Bodies, and The Making Of A Medical Examinar by Judy Melinek M.D. And T.J. Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

eviltwin wrote: »
    A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Did that recently, was surprisingly different to what I expected, particularly towards end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Working Stiff Two Years, 262 Bodies, and The Making Of A Medical Examinar by Judy Melinek M.D. And T.J. Mitchell

A fascinating book:). If you enjoy that, and you haven't read it already "Smoke gets in Your Eyes" by Caitlin Doughty is a great insight into the world of cremation.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

The strange death of Europe by Douglas Murray,highly recommended.

73Cat wrote: »
    A fascinating book:). If you enjoy that, and you haven't read it already "Smoke gets in Your Eyes" by Caitlin Doughty is a great insight into the world of cremation.

Agreed :) thank you for the recommendation I have read that one - it was very good too :) One for you along these lines if you haven't read it is Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Gallery of the dead by Chris Carter. Love this mans mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors by Con Iggulden. The fourth and last of his War of the Roses series, fascinating period of history and a family tree that is like a pretzel.
    He's not as good a writer as Bernard Cornwell (who I'd like to see tackle the story).
    Has anyone a recommendation for a good book on the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Agreed :) thank you for the recommendation I have read that one - it was very good too :) One for you along these lines if you haven't read it is Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

There's a good one written by a medical examiner. Morgue by Vincent Dimaio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Is that her real surname?😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

About 20 years after I first read it I'm rereading Strumpet City. It's a fantastic book. I won't say it mimics current society, but there are some similarities, which considering the plot is set a century ago suggests nothing much changes in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

griffin100 wrote: »
    About 20 years after I first read it I'm rereading Strumpet City. It's a fantastic book. I won't say it mimics current society, but there are some similarities, which considering the plot is set a century ago suggests nothing much changes in this country.

Have you read The Circus Animals by the same writer my husband really rates it but I can't get into it, I have made a couple of attempts to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

The Old man & the sea. Hemingway. Not my first or last time to read this. So good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

kimokanto wrote: »
    The Old man & the sea. Hemingway. Not my first or last time to read this. So good.

I'm hitting a birthday milestone soon, I may re-read it. Then I'll go to sleep and dream about the lions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

seveneves by neal stephenson.
    i think he's great in general but it's slower going than i'm used to.
    great book so far though
    just finished the bear and the nightingale which was great, i'm gonna get the next one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick.
    The story of the pilgrim fathers. Nicely written and very informative on an aspect of history I only had a passing knowledge of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

bluewolf wrote: »
    seveneves by neal stephenson.
    i think he's great in general but it's slower going than i'm used to.
    great book so far though
    While it was generally well received, a lot of people really hate the gear change in the last third of it. I enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've started Stoner by John Williams, as I'd never heard of it before, but it seemed to be recommended by quite a few people. So far so dull really. I'm about a third of the way through and it's not appealing to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

John Simpson's We choose to speak of war and strife.

It's a book of stories about new foreign correspondants. Not my normal type of thing but it is really interesting and broken down in to nice bite sizes.

I'm about half way through Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King. It's not bad but a bit heavy on the all men are scumbags theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I bought "the couple next door" months ago. I should start giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm about half way through Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King. It's not bad but a bit heavy on the all men are scumbags theme.

I thought he was remarkably restrained in that compared to Under the Dome.

I finished Carrie Fisher's The Princess Diarist on Saturday. I was a little underwhelmed, tbh. Starting Joyce Carol Oates' A Book of American Martyrs today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

Just finished reading "The Woman in the Window"
    Debut novel by AJ Finn recently released
    Amazing, Hitchcock style thriller

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭recyclops

only getting around to the dark tower series now, ( 33 years old dont know how i never started)

just finished the drawing of the three and all i can say is WOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

Starting on Boyhood by J. M. Coetzee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Big Fellow by Frank O'Conner, a biography of Michael Collins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement