Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Ipso wrote: »
    One Chapter into The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, supposedly the Rolling Stone's song, Sympathy for the Devil, may have been inspired by it. I like the style of writing and it doesn't seem clunky for something written in Russian.

Generally find the great Russian literature tends to translate well. There's so many laugh out loud moments in The Master and Margarita with the most horrific aspects of the purges hidden in subtext for most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Generally find the great Russian literature tends to translate well. There's so many laugh out loud moments in The Master and Margarita with the most horrific aspects of the purges hidden in subtext for most part.

I was surprised, I remember thing how parts of the Swedish book, Let the Right One in, seemed a bit clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Ipso wrote: »
    I was surprised, I remember thing how parts of the Swedish book, Let the Right One in, seemed a bit clunky.

Big factor for the older Russian stuff is that it's gone through translations multiple times so I guess you get the perfect version eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Started A Gentleman in Moscow but finding it a right struggle..

Don't think it's my cup of tea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Brave by Rose McGowan.

One of those books you can't put down dread picking up.

Half way through and so far she's just been a bratty narcissist with seemingly zero self awareness.
    You could not pay me to read that sh1te, when Im queuing in Tesco or Lidl Im always shaking my head at the utter crap on offer.
    I've just pre-ordered the new Irvine Welsh book, Dead Men's Trousers. This book is a follow up to the stories of the characters from his first novel, Trainspotting. I am really looking forward to reading this as Renton, Sick Boy, Spud and Begbie are my favour characters in fiction.
    Never heard of that thanks, the Trainspotting trilogy would be one of my all time favourite series, even though I felt he destroyed Begbies character in The Blade Artist, couldnt believe what I was reading it was so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Man in the high castle, remember very little of it from when I read it first nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

I just finished the Tattooist of Aushwitz by Heather Morris. Flew through it a great read. Very sad but also uplifting. Its amazing how some people refuse to let their spirit be broken.

Next up Educated by Tara Westover. Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics (Paperback) by Tim Marshall

It reads like a historical soap opera drama, the only difference is it is between landmasses not people.

The amount of times I said to myself I never knew that!
    It is very informative and gives an insight in the political games that are played today.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Just started Ken McGrath's autobiography. Just finished West Belfast by Danny Morrison. After years of reading biographies, historical and political books and for some reason thinking I wouldn't enjoy a novel, I found Morrison's novel one of the best I've read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics (Paperback) by Tim Marshall

It reads like a historical soap opera drama, the only difference is it is between landmasses not people.

It is very informative and gives an insight in the political games that are played today.

Read that myself. Rarely have I ever read anything as informative, if ever.

Another book in a similar genre worth reading if it takes your interest is The Rise of Islamic State by Patrick Cockburn. It blew my mind in terms of how confusing the whole thing is and sort of leaves you half bewildered. I think that's kind of the point though and I definitely feel my understanding, however superficial it still may be, was greatly enhanced by reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The Cocaine Diaries - about irish guy that ended up in jail on a one time smuggling exercise in Bolivia to keep his head above water, featured on Banged up Abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That's next on my pile of books to read, looking forward to it as I enjoy both history and geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Next one for me. Reminds of a book I read years ago, Iraq: from Sumer to Saddam.
    The author claimed that the drawing of the borders for Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia was the result of a British delegate who got pissed at Arab delegates squabbling so he came up with it himself in a hurry.
    Whatever the truth of it, the border of Kuwait (Small country with a big coastline, Iraq a big country with a tiny coastline and the oil located along the coast) really came back to bite everyone in the ass in later years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

On the last chapter of the mountain shadow by Gregory David Roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

On the last chapter of the mountain shadow by Gregory David Roberts

Verdict? Loved Shantaram...I know it's the written version of Marmite on this thread.

eviltwin wrote: »
    There's a good one written by a medical examiner. Morgue by Vincent Dimaio

Currently reading this one thanks for the recommendation :) Enjoying it so far; the author has been involved in a number of high profile cases over his career e.g the exhumation of lee Harvey Oswald to name one ; So it's intresting to read

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Reading the Deadly Trade by Ian Ballantyne, very good read

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Adrian Newey's How to build a car. Top designer of Formula One cars. I've no remains interest in the sport these days as I find it boring as hell, but much of the technical stuff is interesting.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Collie D wrote: »
    Verdict? Loved Shantaram...I know it's the written version of Marmite on this thread.

Not as good as Shantaram ,but readable,I went back and read the first book before I launched into this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

James Lee Burke - Robicheaux
    Excellent stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not as good as Shantaram ,but readable,I went back and read the first book before I launched into this one

I'm enjoying it so far but IMO its not as good
    thomasm wrote: »
    James Lee Burke - Robicheaux
    Excellent stuff

JLB is a star

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've almost finished Delirium by Laura Restrepo. It's very good but often hard to follow because of the many narrators and timeframes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Stolen Village - Des Ekin

History of the Barberry Pirate raid on Baltimore in Cork. Easy read and fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

'The Stolen Village' is a great read.

On a Knights Templar binge myself at the moment. Currently reading 'Born in Blood' by John J. Robinson and 'The Monks of War' by Desmond Seward.
    'Born in Blood' is really brilliant. If you like history and you want your history a bit out there and forward pushing that book is great tack to get into.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. It's about a wise-cracking american jack of all trades who finds himself transported through time from the late 19th century to merry olde england. I wasn't expecting much because I saw the film years ago and was unimpressed but it's a great read, an interesting concept very cleverly handled with some laugh out loud moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The Stolen Village - Des Ekin

History of the Barberry Pirate raid on Baltimore in Cork. Easy read and fascinating.

I remember Rte Radio 1 did a Sunday night programme on that story years ago.
    It was amazing.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just finishing "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

It's been kicking around the house for year or so and I never felt inclined to start it, but I'm totally hooked in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

The Reagan Diaries, by eh, Ronald Reagan.

The Innocent Wife by Amy Lloyd. An OK book, was a easy read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Bitter Twins - Jen Williams. It's the second in a fantasy series that has some of the best world building and setting I've read in ages. It doesn't move as quickly as the first one (The Ninth Rain) but still has been grabbed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement