Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pedopriest

Fire and fury!

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finishing 'The nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Based on WW2 from the eyes of French women civilians in France. An outstanding book. I have to say I've got great reads out of the Easons €4.99 offer. Wide variety of books covered.

Next up Fire & Fury watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

appledrop wrote: »
    Just finishing 'The nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Based on WW2 from the eyes of French women civilians in France. An outstanding book. I have to say I've got great reads out of the Easons €4.99 offer. Wide variety of books covered.

Next up Fire & Fury watch this space!

I love The Nightingale! I read it last year and was captivated. I must read it again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just finished Jackie Tyrell's autobiography.
    I'm not even from Kilkenny but I'm a GAA fan and really enjoyed going behind the scene in Kilkenny's psyche and stamina and it's some very intense stuff!
    Gives a good insight into the management and players who would shed blood and sweat for their county and why.
    Worth the read.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

New Home wrote: »
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I tried reading it a few times before but just couldn't get into it. It's going a bit better this time, I wouldn't say that I love it, but it's not bad. Maybe I'll love it by the time I've finished it.

I think it's this author's style of writing. I have her 2nd book the 'Ministry of utmost happiness' + I don't know how many times I've started + stopped reading it. I just keep getting drawn into better book's! I will finish it eventually though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

appledrop wrote: »
    I think it's this author's style of writing. I have her 2nd book the 'Ministry of utmost happiness' + I don't know how many times I've started + stopped reading it. I just keep getting drawn into better book's! I will finish it eventually though.

I finished reading it, eventually, but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy the next one, I can't say I liked it all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

GAMBLING FOR LIFE - Harry Findlay

Story of a professional gambler who owned some famous race horses such as Denman.

Interesting and easy read for anyone who is interested in sports/gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The Hearts Invisible Furies - John Boyne

Awful aul rubbish....

I knew just by reading the back of this that the main character would bug the sh*t out of me, so I'm not reading it. I barely made it through A History of Loneliness because the protagonist was so fcuking annoying and this sounds like more of the same. My sister read it over Christmas and was like "Yeah, you'd hate it."

I just find Boyne so hit and miss. Mutiny on the Bounty, The House of Special Purpose and The Thief of Time were all great. Crippen, This House is Haunted and Next of Kin were readable, but nothing special. And The Congress of Rough Riders, The Absolutist and A History of Loneliness were utter muck.

I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology. It's grand for dipping in and out of in the jacks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_for_Red_October

Back to reading the Jack Ryan series

Decent book that was made into a terrible film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Chris Bonington- ASCENT

Autobiography

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I recently finished The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vasquez. A great novel about the beginning of the drugs trade in Colombia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. I had ordered The Grapes of Wrath from the library but ordered the dvd by mistake, so I'm going to read that in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.

This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The World untill yesterday by Jared Diamond - great read, in fact anything by Diamond is a great read, if you like Anthropology check him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Angels with Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina by Jonathan Wilson

Not just a history of football there, but a history of Argentina and the social and economic ups and downs the nation has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started The Wonder by Emma Donoghue.

Turtles All The Way Down by John Green

• Advertisement

Just Started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Only 30 pages in and it's starting to make me feel cold and claustrophobic. It's about 800 pages so I hope it doesn't get bogged down too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just finished "Since we Fell" by Denis Lehane. Readable as always, and the second half particularly moves along at quite a pace. Not up to his masterpiece "Mystic River" though. Before that I read "Grant and I" by Robert Forster of the Go Betweens. Good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

trashcan wrote: »
    Just finished "Since we Fell" by Denis Lehane. Readable as always, and the second half particularly moves along at quite a pace. Not up to his masterpiece "Mystic River" though. Before that I read "Grant and I" by Robert Forster of the Go Betweens. Good read.

'Since we Fell' was my first book by Lehane I've read, it was indeed readable, but not memorable. The second was 'Shutter Island' - boy, that was a page turner with goosebumps and some sleepless nights, and a real surprise at the end. 'Mystic River' is still on the bedside pile.

I started reading the second book by Jo Spain: 'Beneath the Surface': Murder in Leinster House, sinister ministers, shrewd businessmen, the sellout of Irish natural resources ... the premise is promising.

If you like Irish crime fiction give Alan Glynn a go. Winterland, Bloodland and Graveland are part of a trilogy and definitely worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Circle of Friends by Binchy. About half way through, it's alright I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Munich by Robert Harris. It's excellent, I don't want it to end.

I've really got into him over the past few months. He weaves fictional tales into historical backdrops.

Conclave is another of his which I'd highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ipso wrote: »
    Just Started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Only 30 pages in and it's starting to make me feel cold and claustrophobic. It's about 800 pages so I hope it doesn't get bogged down too much.
    Decent book. I loved the premise. Unfortunately, the supernatural embellishment of the true story was the weakest part of the story for me, but your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I enjoyed the terror somewhat and I'm looking forward to the tv adaptation.

I've recently finished Wise Mans Fear by Patrick Rothfuss and I've just started Persepolis rising by James s.a. Corey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ATM I'm reading Robert Harris 'Fatherland', read a good bit of it on Christmas Eve but I was pissed on Tyskie followed by a lot of whiskey so I've to start again because I can't remember a thing I read lol.

Quoting myself here, but I'm REALLY struggling with this book. After a month (I'd normally finish a book in a few evenings) I'm still waiting for this to capture my imagination.

Back to some cold war spy books (fiction), any recommends? ~ I've read loads but I don't mind turning back the clock twenty years and doing them again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Goodbye things, the new Japanese minimalism by Fumo Sasaki. A nice simple book about on persons experience with leaving the world of stuff and consumerism behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement