Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was in Belfast over the weekend, ASDA offering 84.1 for the Euro.
    Superdrug had good 250m shower gels on offer at 49p, ASDA had Roses/Heroes etc at £4 a pop, Weight Watchers Tuna/Mayo tins at £1.50 per 3 pack in ASDA, 18cans of Coke £4.50 in ASDA, Tesco had 50% most of the Sharwoods range, Simonoz Car shampoo £1 in Halfords...some highlights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

VincePP wrote: »
    Sentiment and fear made it touch 86p for about 10 minutes.
    Markets have settled and sterling is now settling back where most of the main commentators predicted - 82-85p and it should remain within this range for a while with possible strengthening towards 80p by Christmas.
    If pricing items use 1.25 as your exchange to include difference in consumer exchange rate and bank commissions.
    Official rate GBP to EUR is currently 1.201 - EUR to GBP is 0.8331.
    Many people make the error of thinking 0.80 = "about 1.20" (using 0.80 for ease of math) not realising that the 0.80 is your base number and its the multiplier on that that you use. So 0.80 x 1.25 = 100. Hence and item costing £1 at a rate of 0.80, is costing €1.25

Now trading at 88.4p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

An post giving 85 to euro today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Saw several shops last week offering euro to stg.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

bladespin wrote: »
    Saw several shops last week offering euro to stg.

Do you have location of the shops, newry etc?

• Advertisement

Do you have location of the shops, newry etc?

Enniskillen and the way there.

Any shops in Newry going 1 euro/1 Pound yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not a chance in hell of Euro/sterling going anywhere near 90p let alone over 90p.
    Financial currency commentary is saying a worst case scenario is 85-86p. Whilst marlets called the result wrong, they were quite correct in their predictions if the result was leave - most were saying sterling would move to 82p-85p range immediately.
    As a frequent traveller to Ballycastle, sterling would need to be over 90p to make it worth planning shopping as part of the journey.
    Eh...?
    Currently 89.9p 90p 91p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Think you may have to rethink your currency values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Not a chance in hell of Euro/sterling going anywhere near 90p let alone over 90p.

Financial currency commentary is saying a worst case scenario is 85-86p. Whilst marlets called the result wrong, they were quite correct in their predictions if the result was leave - most were saying sterling would move to 82p-85p range immediately.

As a frequent traveller to Ballycastle, sterling would need to be over 90p to make it worth planning shopping as part of the journey.

It's notoriously difficult to predict short-term changes in exchange rates, which is why I try to avoid it.

The fall overnight could just be a trading anomaly, or it could be taken as negative sentiment.

It's at 90 pence now, approx.

Either way, where will it be in 2017? I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Geuze wrote: »
    It's notoriously difficult to predict short-term changes in exchange rates, which is why I try to avoid it.

The fall overnight could just be a trading anomaly, or it could be taken as negative sentiment.

It's at 90 pence now, approx.

Either way, where will it be in 2017? I don't know.

They're saying the exchange rate will now be long term at this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

BOE reporting a "flash crash" overnight. Anybody planning a new motor? :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/1007/822100-sterling-dives-to-31-year-low-on-hard-brexit-fears/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

BOE reporting a "flash crash" overnight. Anybody planning a new motor?

It seemed to have dropped and was refixed fairly sharpish

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Sterling tanking again this evening. Think we won't have to wait to the end of the year now to see the euro hitting the 95p mark.

Going to The Quays and Buttercrane should be fun come November with a chunk of The Quays carpark a building site. And mammy and daddy going for the santy stuff. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Decent booze deals in Tesco...

£15
    Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 1 Litre
    Gordon's Special Dry London Gin 1L
    Whyte And Mackay Scotch Whisky 1L
    Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold 1 Litre
    Captain Morgan White Rum 1 Litre
    Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey 70Cl

Lisburn is better, Toys r us etc, loads of parking and all big chains close together.

Decent booze deals in Tesco...

£15
    Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 1 Litre
    Gordon's Special Dry London Gin 1L
    Whyte And Mackay Scotch Whisky 1L
    Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold 1 Litre
    Captain Morgan White Rum 1 Litre
    Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey 70Cl

Laphroaig 10YO only £28 in Tesco at the moment. It's €58 in O'Brien's!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Quackster wrote:
    Laphroaig 10YO only £28 in Tesco at the moment. It's €58 in O'Brien's!

£25 in Asda .

madanall wrote: »
    £25 in Asda .

Yep, saw that. Pity there's no Asda in Newry but great if you're gonna be passing one.

• Advertisement

And in Asda get your petrol @1.07pGBP/1.17c instead of 129.9 in Applegreen on the way back at C/Bellingham.

Asda in Enniskillen offering 89.6 pence today for euro notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Petrol being cheaper in NI won't last - the crash in sterling will add 8-10p to that quickly; their duty is still higher than here and oil is the same price everywhere. If you're nearby, fill up every can possible.

90p is basically the point where high margin - clothes and homewares basically - stores will likely start doing 1=1 soon.

Going to The Quays and Buttercrane should be fun come November with a chunk of The Quays carpark a building site. And mammy and daddy going for the santy stuff. :)

It was "fun" today and it's not even November yet;)

I got into the Quays OK around 1.30pm if a little slow, but the building site is affecting things a lot. It was slow getting out (about 8 mins to the barrier) and lots of cars coming in at that time. November will indeed be a nightmare.

Mostly Louth registered cars from the south which you'd expect given the exchange rate; lots of NI reg cars also so the South hasn't taken over quite yet but post halloween will be a different story i think.

Sainsburys' are doing £26 for Hendricks gin (currently 40 euro in O'Briens) so I saved my petrol money by buying up some spirits for Christmas.

Hennessy fine de Cognac also £26 (51 euro O'briens)

Hennessy VS £36 a litre - similar price for 750cl in the South so again some savings there.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Tesco have 25% off 6 bottles of wine or more.
    When you go into the website it won't open, is this because I'm in ROI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is their much of a difference between Tesco Superstore and Tesco Extra in Banbridge as regards what they stock? Also, is it possible to click and collect with a ROI credit card and billing address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Kalyke wrote: »
    Is their much of a difference between Tesco Superstore and Tesco Extra in Banbridge as regards what they stock? Also, is it possible to click and collect with a ROI credit card and billing address?
    We used click and collect with an ROI card but put in an English address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I made the trip up north yesterday out of south Dublin - M11/M50 area.

Time to travel - Approx. 2 hours to Banbridge, at a relaxed 100km/h, with a short stop in Castlebellingham Services
    (speed limit on M1/N1/A1 is 120km/h)

Banbridge shopping:
    I enjoyed The Outlet, as I was primarily clothes shopping for myself. There's a fair selection of shops, including Next, M&S, Gap, Nike and so on. There's a handful of food places too, but mostly coffee shop type offerings, with a McDonald's drive thru in the car park. There is a cinema on site too, but you don't drive that distance to go to the cinema. After that, head across the car park to Tesco Extra to do food/booze/anything else shopping. I didn't buy much here, as I was planning on heading back down to Newry next.

Newry shopping:
    Parked in Buttercrane, and started by walking the few minutes into the main street of Newry itself. Really, unless you have a reason to do so - don't. The place is rather dull. I went into Superdrug for a couple of bits (that I realistically could have picked up in Boots in Butercrane) and that was it.

You would be better off going to the complex just up from Buttercrane, which has a Savers, Poundstretcher, B&M, TK Maxx, Argos etc. I picked up a few bits in Savers and B&M, but they were nothing too special really - you may find something, or you may not.

Back in Buttercrane I found not that much of interest. There's a couple of your usual suspects - Poundland, Dunnes, Penneys, but I didn't go north to shop in them. I did get a necklace in Warren James at a good price (note - if you are buying as a gift, nice packaging costs extra, but their starting prices are really good value too), and a dress in one of the smaller clothing shops. After that I went across to The Quays.

The Quays are currently building in the car park, so a lot of the spaces are shut down. Be aware of that if you do choose to go at a busier time. Inside there are a handful of places that may be of interest. Sports Direct have a shop there, but I found it rather soulless and not that interesting. There seems to be an eclectic mix of everything clothing related in there now, but you might find something worthwhile. H&M's store was nice, but looking at the tags, the exchange rate they are using isn't that far off. I saw a top priced £24.99/€29.99, so you would be buying because you liked it, and not that it was an unmissable bargain.

The offers in Sainsbury's were not great, and having been in Tesco earlier in the day, the Tesco prices are better on booze at the moment (offers change regularly though, YMMV). There is now a Tesco Extra in Newry too, so it is easy to shop around between them (exit The Quays car park where you came in, go right, follow the signs for A1/A28. It's on the left).

Back in Tesco I did get around to buying drink. They are currently doing buy 6 bottles of wine and save 25% (some exclusions and minimum bottle prices apply). I got 3 Rose, 2 White, 1 Cava (prices from 4.50 to 6.00) for 24.11 (was 32.15), John Smiths 18 pack for £13, and a 6 bottle selection of ale for £8.

Exchange rates:
    I used my debit card (€1-£0.88 ish), but a lot of shops in Buttercrane were doing €1-£0.90. The saving of a couple of pound was not worth having to carry a lot of cash, so I am not too concerned there. There is every chance, though, of the exchange rates going further in favour of the Euro, so I would not be surprised if parity, or almost parity is offered soon.

Verdict:
    In most cases, I would say you would be served well more by going to Banbridge, as I think the selection and prices make it more worthwhile, especially if you are hitting there, Tesco, and the road south. If you are making a day of it, Newry would offer somewhere to stop and get a bite to eat that isn't a coffee shop sandwich, with the benefit that you can swing around to Tesco at the end of the trip in order to load up, particularly if you are considering chilled products as part of your shop.

Small notes:
    ** Petrol cost in a 1.4 note was €25, with tolls an additional €8.
    ** The Wednesday (lunchtime arrival) in The Outlet Banbridge led to the place being very quiet, both for locals and southerners. I was advised that weekends can be bedlam though, particularly the closer you get to Christmas.
    ** Parking in the centres in Newry is £1 for 2 hours, with The Quays offering 2 hours free with £10 purchase in Sainsbury's

M

Never knew they had opened a Tesco in Newry, had a search, it's located here, I presume 24 hour opening doesn't apply to alcohol sales...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.1828734,-6.3324944,3a,75y,249.24h,87.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWyC-Qzv0Vu12uTvPcioWOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=5031

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Never knew they had opened a Tesco in Newry, had a search, it's located here, I presume 24 hour opening doesn't apply to alcohol sales...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.1828734,-6.3324944,3a,75y,249.24h,87.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWyC-Qzv0Vu12uTvPcioWOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=5031

It's a nice one in Newry. Massive car park underneath, and yes, alcohol sales are licenced hours only.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Drucilla07

Hi guys I'm travelling to Belfast for the first time ever with my husband and new baby. We are looking to get some bargains for the baby and for Christmas - any suggestions gratefully appreciated . I've looked up waterwipes and they are the same if not more expensive . Anyone know of anything in particular we should stock up on ?
    Thanks

M

Drucilla07 wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm travelling to Belfast for the first time ever with my husband and new baby. We are looking to get some bargains for the baby and for Christmas - any suggestions gratefully appreciated . I've looked up waterwipes and they are the same if not more expensive . Anyone know of anything in particular we should stock up on ?
    Thanks

Not for the baby but alcohol, in particular spirits and wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

The Quays are currently building in the car park, so a lot of the spaces are shut down.

What are they actually doing to the car park does anyone know. Its been like that for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wait, there will be plenty of booze bargains in the run up to Christmas down South now.

Just this weekend I got a 70cl bottle of Martell cognac for E29 in Supervalu. It's usually E35/6

Just wait, there will be plenty of booze bargains in the run up to Christmas down South now.

The duty alone will mean NI will always undercut prices on alcohol here. Most other things there's very little in it.

• Advertisement

The duty alone will mean NI will always undercut prices on alcohol here. Most other things there's very little in it.

There is not much difference in duty anymore.

liamo22 wrote: »
    What are they actually doing to the car park does anyone know. Its been like that for ages!
    £20M Expansion. I think it was put on hold for a while but it's back on again.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2016-10-03/newry-set-for-major-shopping-boost/

M

£20M Expansion. I think it was put on hold for a while but it's back on again.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2016-10-03/newry-set-for-major-shopping-boost/

Hopefully a multistory car park is part of the plans, otherwise it will become a complete nightmare with those spaces gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Unless you live within a reasonable distance of the occupied 6 counties, you are wasting time (and fuel) going up there. The savings are negligible, you'd have to be buying some amount to make any sort of significant saving - even with the pound approaching parity with the Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ad on tv just now. £20 for 2 btls of spirits, presume they're 750ml. Equates to €22.30 on Revolut. Thats a saving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

dfeo wrote: »
    Unless you live within a reasonable distance of the occupied 6 counties, you are wasting time (and fuel) going up there. The savings are negligible, you'd have to be buying some amount to make any sort of significant saving - even with the pound approaching parity with the Euro.

Was looking at Canon Eos 6d with lens.
    £1600 stg equates to €1770.
    €2200.00 down here for same package.

Crates of beer for £11, same here for €25(promotional price), I put it down to duty but maybe it's something else, wine is even cheaper for the ewuivalent, the savings are huge.

There's plenty of savings in NI now with STG/EURO rate- if you're prepared to spend the time getting there.

Crates of beer for £11, same here for €25(promotional price), I put it down to duty but maybe it's something else, wine is even cheaper for the ewuivalent, the savings are huge.

Distributor margins are the biggest difference for beer and wine; also supply chain price increases that will hit the UK haven't yet.

The UK marginally cut beer duty (very, very marginally) in recent years as a populist measure - had all the Tory supporting tabloids raving about how much it'd save their normal alcoholic readers; but its still very close to ours and was higher before sterling slumped. On >7.5% beer ours is lower.

Spirits duty is noticeably lower but that's it. The rest were near identical or higher before Sterling slumped.

Beer duty is higher in UK than Ireland.

Prices are lower due to more competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Geuze wrote: »
    Beer duty is higher in UK than Ireland.

Prices are lower due to more competition.

Is that still the case for higher alcohol percentages such as over 7%. I always find it difficult to find beer/cider with percentages over that level at a reasonable price here.
    They always seem much more common and cheaper in the north, just check out sainsburys or tescos for instance to see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Plenty to be saved some quick examples below first two from smyths, tv from currys, all exact same product

Lego Minecraft crafting box: €48 £35 approx €8 saved or 16%
    Barbie Malibu girls: €67 £49 approx €12 saved or 18%
    Samsung 32 inch smart: €350 £250 approx €60 saved or 17%

There is €80 saved on a few items, from dublin to newry is 100km so probably 40 - 50 quid in fuel for round trip. I will say could be better getting items posted and using parcel wizard/motel etc. but if buying a lot is worth the drive.

Is that still the case for higher alcohol percentages such as over 7%. I always find it difficult to find beer/cider with percentages over that level at a reasonable price here.
    They always seem much more common and cheaper in the north, just check out sainsburys or tescos for instance to see the difference.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

Spirits = 42.57 per litre of alcohol in the spirits

Beer, exceeding 2.8% volume = 22.55 per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer

Wine - still, exceeding 5.5% volume but not exceeding 15% volume = 424.84 per hectolitre

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowance-excise-duty-alcohol-duty/alcohol-duty-rates-from-24-march-2014

UK excise duty

The UK have an extra excise on high alc beers.

Beer

Alcohol type Rate per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer

Beer - General Beer Duty £18.37

Beer - high strength:
    Exceeding 7.5% abv - in addition to the General Beer Duty £5.48

Beer - lower strength:
    Exceeding 1.2% - not exceeding 2.8% abv £8.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm looking at heading to Newry on a Sunday. I always park in the Quays to go to Sainsburys. I understand that they only open at 1PM on a Sunday. Does anyone know at what time they open the car park? Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement