Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

muffler wrote: »
    One big difference though from the good old days when sterling had a lower value, we will now see customs operating so you will possibly have the same personal allowances as if you were returning from a holiday in Spain for example.

OK. Let's start practicing our list of excuses now :p

1. Ah customs man, i thought i was in dundalk- that new border thing is too confusing so it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

So we were in the quays newry today, place was empty, no breakfast upstairs , Argos closed down, sainsburys was deserted, car park was deserted, no bargains what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nibs05 wrote: »
    So we were in the quays newry today, place was empty, no breakfast upstairs , Argos closed down, sainsburys was deserted, car park was deserted, no bargains what so ever.

Lisburn is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's a little early (to put it mildly) to expect bargains by way of currency changes. It is expected however that the pound to euro ratio will be somewhere in the £0.90-95 to the euro range by year end. I expect this thread will be a lot busier if that comes to pass.

It's a little early (to put it mildly) to expect bargains by way of currency changes. It is expected however that the pound to euro ratio will be somewhere in the £0.90-95 to the euro range by year end. I expect this thread will be a lot busier if that comes to pass.

Oh I know that seems to be the prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

To be honest that is the way it should be, we have become a society ready to part too easy with our hard earned money and expect everywhere to be open on a Sunday and the place heaving.

Lisburn - Sprucefield is more better.

I'm not complaining, I had a idea it was going to be like this lol, just wanted a day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Not a chance in hell of Euro/sterling going anywhere near 90p let alone over 90p.

Financial currency commentary is saying a worst case scenario is 85-86p. Whilst marlets called the result wrong, they were quite correct in their predictions if the result was leave - most were saying sterling would move to 82p-85p range immediately.

As a frequent traveller to Ballycastle, sterling would need to be over 90p to make it worth planning shopping as part of the journey.

VincePP wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell of Euro/sterling going anywhere near 90p let alone over 90p.

Financial currency commentary is saying a worst case scenario is 85-86p. Whilst marlets called the result wrong, they were quite correct in their predictions if the result was leave - most were saying sterling would move to 82p-85p range immediately.

As a frequent traveller to Ballycastle, sterling would need to be over 90p to make it worth planning shopping as part of the journey.

There's many reports and baby analysts predicting it will actually. A quick Google will verify same for you. It depends on how widely you read, and how optimistic or pessimistic you are. Currency fluctuations depend on numberous factors, but this is a seosmic shift in one fell swoop, the likes the markets haven't seen in years. I wouldn't be as bold as to say "not a chance" it will reach those levels; in fact given the fallout in the aftermath of the result of say it's more likely than not the 90p mark is breached.

There's many reports and baby analysts predicting it will actually. A quick Google will verify same for you. It depends on how widely you read, and how optimistic or pessimistic you are. Currency fluctuations depend on numberous factors, but this is a seosmic shift in one fell swoop, the likes the markets haven't seen in years. I wouldn't be as bold as to say "not a chance" it will reach those levels; in fact given the fallout in the aftermath of the result of say it's more likely than not the 90p mark is breached.

I buy sterling for my business, so I keep a very close eye on it. Sentiment plays a role in short term moves such as this week. Underlying fundamenals plays a longer term role.

AIB currency markets advised us that they saw the rate for sterling to be 74-76p if remain won the day and 82-84p if leave won the day. Barclays were similar.

The current risk is Boris Johnson / Michale Gove - if either of them become PM of UK there will be further weakening. If a pro europe candidate gets in, expect a little strengthening.

But a weak sterling is not good for USA exports or european exports, so central banks will make sure its doesn't deviate too much from current levels and if anythign, they will buy sterling to strengthen it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not a chance in hell of Euro/sterling going anywhere near 90p let alone over 90p....
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its on the brink of 84p tonight , so we close to the worst case scenario so.

Its on the brink of 84p tonight , so we close to the worst case scenario so.

Nope - 2.2p off it which is quite a bit in currency markets. Considering all the bad news is factored in, it is difficult to see it going past 85p - though it might for a short period.

Analysts generally are saying 80-83p for 6 months and going back below 80p within 12 months.

Only one of the main analysts is saying it will move above 86p (paribas)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€ just touched 85p

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Prices our side of border have been very competitive in recent years. Even doing a monthly shop up there is still not worth it. The Aldi/Dunnes €10 off €50 vouchers has made it even more so.

You would need €->£ parity combined with the Asdas etc dropping prices e.g Spirits for £13 before i fuel up and take a trip TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

hi there

first time posting here, so apologies as this may have been asked before. My sister has just bought a house and will do all of the general renovations, new kitchen, furniture, bathroom ware tiles etc, My question is there any good place to check for prices on TVs, appliances etc to see if it would be worthwhile travelling up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hi there

first time posting here, so apologies as this may have been asked before. My sister has just bought a house and will do all of the general renovations, new kitchen, furniture, bathroom ware tiles etc, My question is there any good place to check for prices on TVs, appliances etc to see if it would be worthwhile travelling up?
    Probably better getting a list done up and emailing or faxing it to several outlets and get prices back from them before amking a journey.

For other household appliances for example (if applicable) its easy to compare the stock between the 2 Argos sites or check online places like Asda, tesco,Richersounds etc

hi there

Depends what you want really......

Richersounds is for more high end, audiophile stuff....that said you'll get more bang for your buck there than regular retailers. If she's happy with bog standard tv and blu ray player then shop around (incl. richersounds btw). They have a forum here - have a look:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

As for the electrical stuff, same as above, shop around......but wait until the bank holiday weekend for sales (note: NI August bank holiday is the 29th, not the first weekend of August like down here). There are bargains to be had, it's just a case of finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

snubbleste wrote: »
    € just touched 85p

crawling towards 86p now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Lots of republic cars in The Quays yesterday, I think every second one wouldn't be close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Quick Northern Shopping related question
    When paying by card and you have the choice to pay in euro or sterling
    What do you select?
    Euro or sterling?

youngblood wrote: »
    Quick Northern Shopping related question
    When paying by card and you have the choice to pay in euro or sterling
    What do you select?
    Euro or sterling?

Sterling
    Always pay local currency

Really?
    € just touched 85p
    crawling towards 86p now

Sentiment and fear made it touch 86p for about 10 minutes.

Markets have settled and sterling is now settling back where most of the main commentators predicted - 82-85p and it should remain within this range for a while with possible strengthening towards 80p by Christmas.

If pricing items use 1.25 as your exchange to include difference in consumer exchange rate and bank commissions.

Official rate GBP to EUR is currently 1.201 - EUR to GBP is 0.8331.

Many people make the error of thinking 0.80 = "about 1.20" (using 0.80 for ease of math) not realising that the 0.80 is your base number and its the multiplier on that that you use. So 0.80 x 1.25 = 100. Hence and item costing £1 at a rate of 0.80, is costing €1.25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

Anyone have recommendations for what stores to go to in or around Newry for Washing and Drying machines? Delivery to the south would be great if the shop offers it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Stg has drifted lower since 15th July.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

15-July = 83.275 p

11-Aug = 86 p, a two-year low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Sterling still sliding. 1 EUR = 0.870101 GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Indeed, lowest in three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭uli84

Is b&m in newry decent size/is there good selection of homeware? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

uli84 wrote: »
    Is b&m in newry decent size/is there good selection of homeware? Thx

I think it's pretty good. I always buy a lot of stuff there. They sell paint there too.

There is also a Pound Stretcher across the road from it. I don't think it's as good as B&M though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

ando wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for what stores to go to in or around Newry for Washing and Drying machines? Delivery to the south would be great if the shop offers it

They dont normally, you can get a washer or dryer in a large hatchback/estate though

Advertisement