Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Unearthly wrote: »
    Game Changers will be available on Netflix October 16th

Interesting actually that I know 2 people who have gone vegan since watching this. They are very bro science/Bro Rogan so haven't got much between the ears but the vanity of vegan lads having muscles has won them over.

Looks like it's working to win over men

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Unearthly wrote: »
    Interesting actually that I know 2 people who have gone vegan since watching this. They are very bro science/Bro Rogan so haven't got much between the ears but the vanity of vegan lads having muscles has won them over.

Looks like it's working to win over men

That "scientific study" on erections. Come on, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

uuurgh just said im not going to 2 christmas dinners because the restaurant (in a hotel ) has been serving the same one vegetarian option for 23 years ive lived in the town. my 5 year boycott of eating in there continues !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I had a similar complaint about a big business-related dinner in a big hotel a few weeks ago. I asked to see the menu in advance to see if anything would be suitable. Starter: Melon; Main course: Vegetarian course of the day; Dessert: Selection of desserts (probability of them containing gelatin, or suet, or whatever else: very high). Yet, for the non-veg*ns, each of the courses was described in full detail. I decided not to go (I wasn't going to spend €30 on a few slices of melon, and on two other courses I didn't know whether I could eat or not), it turned out the main course was a vegetable curry. Zero imagination.

• Advertisement

i would have less problem if they said they dont serve vegetarians at least thats honest rather than a token throwvsometing on a menu.

mind you they think that serving you a steak on a hot stone and you having to cook it yourself is some sort of innovation !

donegal town also won foodiest destination 2019 - as long as your not vegan or vegetarian though :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Link saved. I reckon I'll be posting it a 100 times a day considering how much of a stick it's used to beat vegans with ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Could they not have called it something more bloody palatable than "duckweed"???!! :rolleyes:

Snozzcumbers anyone?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Duckweed aka
    the company’s water lentil crop containing the ingredient Lentein® plant protein 

They've trademarked it already? Nice way to print money tbh.

Have you ever seen duck weed? Not something I'd be scooping out of the local pond and getting sued for doing so when there are better non trademarked sources out there tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

fat bloke wrote: »
    Could they not have called it something more bloody palatable than "duckweed"???!! :rolleyes:

Snozzcumbers anyone?! :pac:

They're also called 'bayroot' according to Wikipedia.

gozunda wrote: »
    Duckweed aka

They've trademarked it already? Nice way to print money tbh.

Have you ever seen duck weed? Not something I'd be scooping out of the local pond and getting sued for doing so when there are better non trademarked sources out there tbh ...

You can't trademark that haha, they are trademarking a processed product from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You can't trademark that haha, they are trademarking a processed product from it.

Plenty of biotech companies have already patented plants - it's not new unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

New documentary on Netflix - don’t f with cats.

About a guy that puts two kittens into ziplock bags. Tracking him down. I’m sure people will be horrified. I wonder will they make a documentary about all the male chicks that are put straight into ziplock bags at birth because they can’t lay eggs.

Coming from someone that lives with 3 cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see the BK vegan burger is not vegan as its cooked on the same plates as the regular ones.

https://lovindublin.com/food-drink/burger-kings-plant-based-whopper-isnt-suitable-for-vegetarians-or-vegans
    Ahead of the UK release, Veganuary spokesperson Toni Vernelli played down the significance of the fact that the meatless patty is prepared on the same broiler as meat products, suggesting that the Rebel Whopper is more designed for flexitarians.

Not just the UK, same notice on the Irish site.
    https://www.whopper.ie/

rubadub wrote: »
    I see the BK vegan burger is not vegan as its cooked on the same plates as the regular ones.

https://lovindublin.com/food-drink/burger-kings-plant-based-whopper-isnt-suitable-for-vegetarians-or-vegans

Not just the UK, same notice on the Irish site.
    https://www.whopper.ie/

I would consider that not plantbased but vegan, since it doesn't harm any animals to have it cooked nearby meat I have no issue with it personally.

had an amazing dinner at prashad (gujarati vegetarian) near bradford last friday, been meaning to go for years and finally got the opportunity

https://www.prashad.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I would consider that not plantbased but vegan, since it doesn't harm any animals to have it cooked nearby meat I have no issue with it personally.

My understanding isn't that it's just cooked near the meat, it's that it's cooked directly on the same griddle as the meat. So they lift off a meat burger, and could well just put the vegan one down in the same place, on top of any meat juices etc. That's too gross for me personally. Although I also wouldn't BK, MacDonalds and certainly not KFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah I get why people WOULDN'T have a problem with it, and if the net result is fewer beef whoppers ordered then great.

I'd as soon eat it as I'd eat something cooked on the same grill as a human hand though :pac: really not impressed how it was launched tbh, I know a lot of people feel the same way I do and ordered them when they wouldn't have if they'd known how it was cooked. BK have to have known how people would interpret the marketing as well, they've had a Vegetarian Society approved burger with the last, what, 15 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

..judge Robin Postle ruled he was “satisfied overwhelmingly that ethical veganism does constitute a philosophical belief".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/veganism-has-always-been-more-about-living-an-ethical-life-than-just-avoiding-meat-and-dairy-129307

Under the UK Equality Act beliefs are compatible with human dignity and don’t conflict with the fundamental rights of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

Thread in another area of boards called 'Vegan death cult'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058045320

65535 wrote: »
    Thread in another area of boards called 'Vegan death cult'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058045320

When the basis of a topic is from Sv3rige, a racist who has a violent, mentally ill past and wants a world where the strongest survive including rape and murder of humans, then it's fair to say we are on the right side here

living on the veg starts on itv now.actually started last sunday so ep2 on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

New vegan deli open in Galway.

Newcastle Rd.

GE2020.

Not wanting to start a political debate here: this is for everyone's information. No responses needed or wanted. Make up your own mind but please don't waste your vote - you will be in effect supporting the old white male parties.

Please vote for a candidate supporting animal rights (in some form, whether welfare, anti-subsidy or veganism). See below for more info.

Vote right down the ballot paper, put your least favourite at the bottom (like to start from the bottom and go upwards towards "least worst").

https://banbloodsports.wordpress.com/2020/01/08/general-election-2020-candidates-and-animal-cruelty-issues/

GE2020.

Vote right down the ballot paper, put your least favourite at the bottom (like to start from the bottom and go upwards towards "least worst").

do not do this (unless you want to) but if there are candidates you dont want your vote ever going to just leave them off, otherwise your vote could count for someone you dont want it to count for.

Apologies - mods maybe a ge202 thread might be more appropriate

do not do this (unless you want to) but if there are candidates you dont want your vote ever going to just leave them off, otherwise your vote could count for someone you dont want it to count for.

Apologies - mods maybe a ge202 thread might be more appropriate

Have a read here.

Individually, it is true, failing to vote right down through the list has only a marginal effect. But if this sin of omission is repeated on a widespread basis by fellow voters it can actually assist a candidate who you would prefer to see defeated by lowering the effective quota, and making it easier for him/her to reach it. As an election proceeds and the number of non-transferable votes accumulates, the number required to be elected – the effective quota – falls.

In an election in which there is a strong non-transferable trend, this marginal trend can become very pronounced and results become very unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We only have 1 candidate here that voted in favour of the hunting ban. The rest all voted against the ban (and various other poor animal welfare views) so what should I do? I definitely don't want my support going to them.

• Advertisement

We only have 1 candidate here that voted in favour of the hunting ban. The rest all voted against the ban (and various other poor animal welfare views) so what should I do? I definitely don't want my support going to them.

Tough decision. There are other issues to take into account apart from animal welfare though.

Advertisement