Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

They can just label the ( disks and tube >< ) products cruelty free and antibiotic free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I just don't get it, statements like this
    “We simply cannot have plant-based products deliberately disguised as something they are not,” IFA President Tim Cullinan said.

do they think people are been conned into buying something? are people mistakenly buying quorn burgers?

The only time I hear of mistakes is people buying say "spice bugers" thinking the were veggie, even though the ingredients clearly state it. Or people getting "vegetable soup" which was made with chicken stock.

Do they think they are losing significant sales? and think there will be a big increase in sales of meat if "veggie burgers" are rebranded as "veggie patties".

I do laugh at the ridiculousness. Take a turkey sausage for example. Will this fall outside regulations? Sure we all know a sausage means pork, don't we? ( Though pork being an euphemism for pig flesh which wooshes over most heads. )
    Will beef tomatoes need to be renamed if this silly legislation is passed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about Easter eggs (hollow ovoidal chocolate shapes) and chocolate bunnies (hollow leporidae-shaped novelty chocolate )? And creme eggs? And ice cream bombes (do not contain actual explosives)? I still haven't been told why cleansing milk is ok, but almond/soy/oat/etc isn't.

Peanut butter.

Cream of coconut.

Coconut milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

How does one embed in a post whether it’s a video, article or picture ?

I’m using the touch site on smartphone.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

The IFA are a bunch of Meatflakes.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Alpro have brought out a new milk for a cup of tea.

https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/drinks/soya-plain/my-cuppa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Interesting, I wonder how close it'll be texturally? Cause the plant milks never got get the texture right in my opinion.

Tilikum17 wrote: »

I wonder why it says 'Vegetarian' and not 'Vegan' - since it's Plant-based. 😕

Worztron wrote: »
    I wonder why it says 'Vegetarian' and not 'Vegan' - since it's Plant-based. &#55357;&#56853;

Soya base (Water, Hulled soya beans (5.7%)), Vegetable oils and fats (Sunflower, Shea), Sugar, Chicory root fibre, Emulsifier (Sucrose esters of fatty acids), Sea salt, Stabilisers (Locust bean gum, Gellan gum), Flavourings

That's what's in it. Plant based is the marketing friendly term for vegan. People tend to be more open to something that's plant based rather than labelled vegan. Many people find the word vegan off putting. I know a few cafes that sell vegan deserts but never tell the customers that they are vegan because people won't buy them. It's absurd really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Anyone had the Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles yet - they are fantastic! Picked them up in Tesco over the weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yep, taste like I remember (little softer which is good)! Haven't had any in nearly 20 years.

Worztron wrote: »
    I wonder why it says 'Vegetarian' and not 'Vegan' - since it's Plant-based. 😕

https://www.alpro.com/za/faq/detail/is-alpro-suitable-for-vegetarians-and-vegans
    Is Alpro suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans?
    Yes. All products in the Alpro range are suitable for vegetarians and vegans, and approved by the Vegan Society as being free from animal ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I live near it, I'll be in on opening day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Had a Bearlemon Lemon and Blueberry muffin from Bua Coffee a while back, it was good. Look forward to checking out the bakery.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »

Gonna check it out over the weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

2n4yhufl.jpg

Went in to today! I was delighted (and saddened) to see the giant queue, I'm even more delighted that these were excellent.
    A lot of stuff was gone by the time I got there so I guess I'll have to go back for an icecream sandwich. I got a biscoff muffin, a blueberry lemon pistachio one (my girlfriend said it was the best muffin she ever had) and a sea salt brownie. Staff were very friendly (shoutout to guy in the pink tshirt), coffee was excellent too, really recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

We got mini doughnuts today in vegano delicatessen in Galway.

Unreal.

Was also at bear lemon with the OH. The queue was halfway down the street by 11.30. Got a cinnamon swirl bun, one of them muffins and a chocolate croissant. All amazing and really tasty. It's such a great addition to the city. I also really recommend it!

Lockdown is cruel :(

Not jealous at all :p

auspicious wrote: »
    ..judge Robin Postle ruled he was “satisfied overwhelmingly that ethical veganism does constitute a philosophical belief".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/veganism-has-always-been-more-about-living-an-ethical-life-than-just-avoiding-meat-and-dairy-129307

Under the UK Equality Act beliefs are compatible with human dignity and don’t conflict with the fundamental rights of others.

A philosophical belief is a non-religious belief and includes things like humanism, secularism and atheism. Something can be a philosophical belief if you strongly and genuinely believe in it and it concerns an important aspect of human life and behaviour.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-50981359

A philosophical belief is a non-religious belief and includes things like humanism, secularism and atheism. Something can be a philosophical belief if you strongly and genuinely believe in it and it concerns an important aspect of human life and behaviour.

Good to see.

Although I didn’t really know about the term ethical vegan and it’s difference to the term vegan.

Good to see.

Although I didn’t really know about the term ethical vegan and it’s difference to the term vegan.

There is none as we know it.
    I think 'vegan' is reference to people who go WFPB for health or environmental reasons. Just a misnomer in this instance.

I seen a Guardian article that referenced this 2015 study

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1368430215618253

Saying that vegans are discriminated against like other minority groups.

Have to say apart from boards.ie current affairs I don't encounter any type of discrimination thankfully. Work, friends and family are very supportive.

Unless they say it behind my back :( :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I've moved the thread discussing the MRCI report into working conditions in the meat sector to the Current Affairs forum

There is a redirect link still in this forum. Honestly I think it's a better fit there, especially as it is a current news item

:)

Advertisement