Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options
  • 20-08-2012 6:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The much anticipated sequel has finally arrived!

More films!

More recent!

More Boogaloo!

Also, just on a housekeeping note, it's usually worth checking if there's a dedicated thread to more recent films you might be posting about. You could even consider starting a thread! More likely to kick off an in-depth discussion which can sometimes get lost in megathreads such as this.

The original thread can be found here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055488699

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dammit I wanted the 10,000th post!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dammit I wanted the 10,000th post!!!

Heh didn't even realise it was you who got the last 'proper' post in the thread as well as the first! May the circle be unbroken as they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Looking forward for this thread to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Nice timing, ending the previous thread on the 666th page :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Electric Boogaloo = great name for a racehorse! (*adds to long list of racehorse names for when he's an eccentric racehorse-owning billionaire.... with a massive mickey*)

• Advertisement

Nice timing, ending the previous thread on the 666th page :pac:

And let the devil movies begin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

After reading the title of the thread I wish that this
    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086999/ was the last thing I watched:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

From the last thread:
    Mickeroo wrote:
    Redbelt Really enjoyed it, love Mamet and love Chiwetel Ejiofor ("This is a good death...an honourable death.")
    Great film, deserves a lot more recognition. I love how it manages to be a proper human drama yet still maintains the basic plot of a standard martial arts film.

Redbelt? This Redbelt? That film was awful. The characters where both dull and ridiculous, the fights were like really poorly done BJJ demonstrations (slow and awkward) and the moves shown just don't work.

The last exorcism.

It's not up there with all the other horror films but if you have nothing to watch its worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"A Further Gesture" (1997) tonight on VHS purchased on Adverts.ie! Yet another IRA movie with Stephen Rea in the main role. Slow moving but worth the effort of watching. Stephen Rea, Brendan Gleeson and the usual suspects escape from a NI prison but the escape is fiasco and Rea is forced to flee to the USA where he lies low in a non-Irish part of New York. There he is befriended by a Latin American brother and sister and the movie moves towards its inevitable conclusion.... 6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the old thread deserves to be a sticky, anyway for that to happen

saw 2 good film recently, The Cabin in the Woods and The Tall Man, 2 very good thrillers and both really seemed to fly under the radar in the cinema,

For anyone not watching it - "Lava Storm" (2008) is on RTE.2. at the moment and as one of the reviews on Imdb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183727/reviews put it , 'it's like a car crash, it is so terrible that you just can't look away'.....awful script, direction, acting.....:D

don ramo wrote: »
    the old thread deserves to be a sticky, anyway for that to happen

saw 2 good film recently, The Cabin in the Woods and The Tall Man, 2 very good thrillers and both really seemed to fly under the radar in the cinema,

The cabin in the woods seems to be getting good reviews on here. I must give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Raid: Redemption. Enjoyed it, though I was kind of annoyed by the dub. Should've watched the subtitled version. *insert Fr Ted image*

Battle Royale: Director's Cut. Haven't seen it in a few years but it's still as good as I remember. One day I'll get around to reading the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The Raid: Redemption. Enjoyed it, though I was kind of annoyed by the dub. Should've watched the subtitled version. *insert Fr Ted image*

Battle Royale: Director's Cut. Haven't seen it in a few years but it's still as good as I remember. One day I'll get around to reading the book.

Watched the Raid a few nights ago. Enjoyed it. Hollywood can learn a thing or two from it.

Watch God Bless America last night. Its in my top movie list of the year so far. Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Something the Lord made

Made for TV film, HBO up to their usual high standards

It's a true story about a medical researcher played by Alan Rickman.

He was a top man, very famous who did fantastic work on treating people who go into shock.

Takes on a young black man as a janitor but he's razor sharp and proves to be a brilliant researcher.

Doc's career moves upwards, brings the black assistant along who gets treated like a dog by the snobbish upper class doctors. :mad:

He does great work too but doesn't get paid much and doesn't get much credit, got screwed over tbh

But there is a happy ending

Great film, I loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brief Encounter - melodramatic and a little dated, this is still an affectionately realised, engaging romantic drama. Confession: for the first five-ten minutes, I thought it looked and sounded like a cheesy soap opera. But it livens up considerably, and there's some beautiful character moments and visuals throughout. An interesting snapshot of social values during very different times. Two performances are excellent, and while the voiceover is over-literal, it's mostly forgivable. It's IMO a tad less brilliant than some critical hyperbole might suggest, but this is still a truly romantic, engaging tale on a small-scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Thin Red Line I was fairly drunk watching it, the dreamlike quality really suited my mood. Then I sobered up a little and it was a hard slog to stay awake. I forgot how many actors pop up. I was like "Jesus Christ...No, that's just Jim Caviziel."

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol Enjoyed it much more this time around. I loved it when I saw it in the cinema, loved it more this time. The Dubai sequence is a stunning piece of work. I point to this and The Avengers as good examples of how recent Hollywood blockbusters getting better at giving all their characters something to do. Also, they have a good reason for doing what they're doing. It's not just action to have action. I call that "The Bourne Effect"

The Green Ray / Summer - superb slice of life drama from Eric Rohmer. If you want a 'nothing happens' film done right, you can't go far wrong with this. The protagonist is rendered with such care and detail I got completely drawn into her small-scale dilemmas, eccentricities and frustrations. A film about indecision and chance. Simple, but immensely rewarding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lockout: Fairly awful

The Avengers: Decent enough, doesn't warrant an 8.6 on IMdB though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Just watched Paddy Considine's offering Tyrannosaur. Really really good film. Some seriously gritty scenes, had to hold back the tears for one or two. Just a perfect character driven piece with a fabulous cast.

"The Runway" (2010) RTE tonight. Part of RTE's 'Ireland on Screen' season. A very poor, stage Irish movie which failed to come to life. Inspired by the true story of a South American pilot who made a forced landing at Mallow Racecourse in 1983. Apart from the fact that a temporary air strip was built in both cases there's little else to connect the movie and the Mallow incident. Would be a good movie for children's viewing.

In a strange twist of fate the Mallow plane was ultimately destroyed in a fatal crash in Texas in 2004 killing all on board. It had been due to transport George Bush Snr.
    http://www.mallowtown.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1023&sid=4608f165493efea85422f3d585fa5d8b

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Naughty Room 2011
    British film about two 20 year old neighbours that grew up after loosing their fathers. A gem of a story, Watch this if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Glengarry Glen Ross - Don't think i have ever seen a better acted film, everyone in it was brilliant especially Jack Lemmon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

Love thy neighbour - non-PC comedy about blacks in 1970's Britain.

Pauline at the Beach - I guess I've accidentally ended up having a mini-Eric Rohmer phase this week! I'm really warming to his reserved, naturalistic style. In other hands this tale of holiday romances would be a silly farce in other hands. Under this director, it emerges as an engrossing, carefully delivered study of a number of interesting characters. There's something about the performances in this film that just leap off the screen - characters who feel fully formed, with mannerisms and motivations that give them huge amounts of depth.

Like The Green Ray, it's deceptively simple, but it calmly observes the five lead characters as they negotiate 'love' in many different varieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The Station Agent - quirky funny sad very enjoyable film

The Avengers - saw it last night for the first time and loved it , The Hulk and Ironman were great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Watched about 30 min of The Three Stooges, possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Going to watch Bernie now, movie with Jack Black and Matthew McConnaughy. Hopefully its a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Roger Moore and Lee Marvin.This has not dated well IMO.Seen it as a Kid and loved it.This time it was........................Mehhhhhh!.
    During World War One an English poacher, an American adventurer and the latter's attractive young daughter, set out to destroy a German battle-cruiser which is awaiting repairs in an inlet just off Zanzibar.

Can't believe some of the prices for this DVD online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Im glad im not the only one that thought the cabin in the woods was awful,started off okay but the ending was totally mad in my opinion,couldnt wait for it to be over,
    Watched A Walk to Remember last night and thought it was just brilliant,real sad film but couldnt stop thinking of it after i watched it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement