Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

emigration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

NSAman wrote: »
    MOst small towns outside of Large Metropolitan Areas. /.../
    The well paid job is one that I created for me and my staff. It requires hard work. I have worked at it for over 20 years.
    I could not agree more and I'm saying it not just for myself but all humankind - urban concentration is one of the worst factors of modern civilization. But concentration is a fact and for some reason it naturally makes companies and people to aggregate in bigger and bigger numbers. I would love to find a way to reverse this process and get people out of metropolitan areas. Great it works for you but do you have any idea how to make it working for the others?
    cnocbui wrote: »
    The Economist's latest world ranking of world cities for livability has 6 New Zealand and Australian cities in the top ten. Dublin's ranking is 51st. Nice to see one's own assessments vindicated.
    Dublin 51 from 22 according to thejournal. But it is like all Europe fall down significantly not just Dublin / Ireland. EU definitely is not working well anymore...
    https://pages.eiu.com/rs/753-RIQ-438/images/global-liveability-index-2021-free-report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Economist's latest world ranking of world cities for livability has 6 New Zealand and Australian cities in the top ten. Dublin's ranking is 51st. Nice to see one's own assessments vindicated.

That list is a misnomer... its heavily skewed by COVID and Auckland/Australian-cities are good, but got a massive boost as they are basically open while the rest of the world is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That list is a misnomer... its heavily skewed by COVID and Auckland/Australian-cities are good, but got a massive boost as they are basically open while the rest of the world is closed.

In 2016, Melbourne topped the same list and Auckland was eighth. In that year, there were 3 Australian and One New Zealand city in the top 10, so compared to 2016, those two countries have only gained two cities in the top ten, so it's not all because of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

zom wrote: »
    I could not agree more and I'm saying it not just for myself but all humankind - urban concentration is one of the worst factors of modern civilization. But concentration is a fact and for some reason it naturally makes companies and people to aggregate in bigger and bigger numbers. I would love to find a way to reverse this process and get people out of metropolitan areas. Great it works for you but do you have any idea how to make it working for the others?

You make it work for yourself. It is a choice.

Today you have the chance to change working practices. We have been doing it for years. VoIP, Internet, computers allow working basically anywhere. If your job does not involve having to be in one physical location, why would you not move?

People make any organisation work. Are the best people in any one location? No! Hence we have staff working from offices, their homes, in various countries and locations. It works for us and through staff wants and needs, people are happy. Obviously, a staff involvement in a company (financially) also make people interested in their work.

Why would I stay in a city paying 70k a month in rent when I can buy a building outside, gut it, re-design it, and re-build it into something that we can enjoy as a main office in the US? It’s not difficult to do, it requires people who can see the difference it makes to their lives and people with a Vision to make life easier for all. Less commute time, less stress, more time with family and in my mind a much better quality of life. Obviously, it is not for everyone.

Yes We have an office in Ireland also. We employ people in Ireland also.

The problem for me setting this up, was the lack of vision within Ireland. Hence America, investors were easier to find here. Ireland was a closed shop as I didn’t have the connections, the family name and investors who are looking for a guaranteed investment. America had and still has investors looking for something different. It has a can do attitude (I know that is a cliche but for me it has been a reality).

It’s not easy anywhere to make a business a success. It requires luck, an idea, hard work, great people and people who support you, thankfully so far that has worked.

As this thread is about emigration, my own two cents is anyone thinking of doing it, should actually give it a go. What have you got to loose? At the worst you will never end up wondering… what if

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm in Wellington, which is 4th in the world on that list, pretty much solely by virtue of being the 2nd city in New Zealand. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place, but in a normal non-Covid world, there's no way it gets near the top 10. There has been a huge increase in homelessness and petty crime/assaults around the city centre in the past year due to the housing crisis. It's a cool city to live in if you're relatively affluent, but its compact size makes the problems hard to ignore on a day to day basis.

4th is based on the fact that normal life has been in session here pretty much undisturbed for the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Valencia could be a runner...looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I'm too old to emigrate. There are thing about Irish society I really don't like but I'm settled here and there's good and bad everywhere so I suppose I'll just get on with things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mules wrote: »
    I'm too old to emigrate. There are thing about Irish society I really don't like but I'm settled here and there's good and bad everywhere so I suppose I'll just get on with things.

Why are you too old to emigrate?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hamachi wrote: »
    It also depends on work ethic, intellectual horse power, and ability to get on with people. Many Irish people have these attributes in spades and do very well in the US. Have seen my own colleagues fly up the corporate ladder over there.

BS. The saying is pull yourself up by your bootstraps because it's impossible. How many executives are black or Hispanic? The ceiling is right about middle management.

Why don't I give you my address as well???

No need. Zip code is enough and with the US Zip code system it wouldn't give away your address. Put up or shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Wompa1 wrote: »
    BS. The saying is pull yourself up by your bootstraps because it's impossible. How many executives are black or Hispanic? The ceiling is right about middle management.

Satya Nadella, Sundar Pichai, Shantanu Narayan are middle management? Presumably they also benefit from privilege?

No need. Zip code is enough and with the US Zip code system it wouldn't give away your address. Put up or shut up.

You’re coming across as a serious oddball demanding somebody’s zip code. Perhaps you should take your own advice and shut up..

You’re coming across as a serious oddball demanding somebody’s zip code. Perhaps you should take your own advice and shut up..

What is the risk? I can give you some of the zip codes I lived in. It's not like an Eir Code, it's not tied to a single house. It's very easy to prove the crime rate where he lives because as I said, the US keeps very good records.

Depends on how many companies are created and operated by Blacks or Hispanics. If you look at areas where Blacks and Hispanics dominate the local population, you'll find a greater amount of those racial groups in those positions.

When a nation has a predominate population, especially in states where those companies are established, there is going to be a difference in Whites Vs other racial groups. How many whites are in upper management in Mexico, Brazil, or other places which do have a significant non-native racial population?

Yes, in the US, there are barriers to Blacks and Hispanics, many of which are due to racial considerations, and perceptions/biases, however, in others, the issues do come down to education, ambition, interest, etc... of which Irish migrants going to the US tend to have. Then again, there are many Irish migrants who never make it out of the Subway Restaurant, serving sandwiches for 20 years. Do you care about them?

The US, like any nation, has a lot of scope for "upward" mobility for those willing to self-develop, gain the required education, and do the grunt work, getting the recognition before reaching the upper positions.

Satya Nadella, Sundar Pichai, Shantanu Narayan are middle management? Presumably they also benefit from privilege?

Did you read my comment before replying with the names of Asian men? :pac:

Depends on how many companies are created and operated by Blacks or Hispanics. If you look at areas where Blacks and Hispanics dominate the local population, you'll find a greater amount of those racial groups in those positions.

When a nation has a predominate population, especially in states where those companies are established, there is going to be a difference in Whites Vs other racial groups. How many whites are in upper management in Mexico, Brazil, or other places which do have a significant non-native racial population?

Yes, in the US, there are barriers to Blacks and Hispanics, many of which are due to racial considerations, and perceptions/biases, however, in others, the issues do come down to education, ambition, interest, etc... of which Irish migrants going to the US tend to have. Then again, there are many Irish migrants who never make it out of the Subway Restaurant, serving sandwiches for 20 years. Do you care about them?

I lived in Arizona. It has been a state for just over 100 years. It has a large hispanic population. Feel free to look up the largest companies there and look up their CEOs and Executives.

This isn't exactly news...if you have lived in the US it has been highlighted plenty of times about the make up of company boards. As well as other industry and groups too.

The US system is designed to systemically oppress certain races. The location of Section 8 housing, the funding for schools and local amenities through property tax. The differing sales taxes, the way they police communities. You'd have to live with your head in the sand within a gated community to think any different. :pac:

I lived in Arizona. It has been a state for just over 100 years. It has a large hispanic population. Feel free to look up the largest companies there and look up their CEOs and Executives.

Never lived in the US, but I'd done consulting work along the east coast. Encountered quite a few Black executives and upper management during that period, including some Hispanics. Mostly White people though, but that makes sense considering the demographics and the demands (in education, experience, etc) for the roles.
    This isn't exactly news...if you have lived in the US it has been highlighted plenty of times about the make up of company boards. As well as other industry and groups too.

I didn't claim it wasn't true.. perhaps read back over what I wrote?

Why all this hostility? It’s not good for your blood pressure!

Next, it’ll be white supremacy Irish arguments and …oppps …see we have already gone there.

I’ll give you a hint, it’s in the 6’s…with 4 numbers after the six.

Did you read my comment before replying with the names of Asian men? :pac:

I read your comment, but you clearly didn’t read my previous statement. You were too busy rushing in with your oppression narrative.

Let me guess, those fine men benefit from Indian privilege?

What is the risk? I can give you some of the zip codes I lived in. It's not like an Eir Code, it's not tied to a single house. It's very easy to prove the crime rate where he lives because as I said, the US keeps very good records.

Honestly, you seem pretty angry and hostile. The poster is right not to share any personal data with somebody of your mindset.

• Advertisement

Why all this hostility? It’s not good for your blood pressure!

Next, it’ll be white supremacy Irish arguments and …oppps …see we have already gone there.

I’ll give you a hint, it’s in the 6’s…with 4 numbers after the six.

Exactly. I made a comment about Irish people doing well in the US. I know colleagues who’ve transferred over and are flying up the ladder over there. They are advancing far faster than had they remained in Ireland.

In his mind, that’s the catalyst for a little diatribe about black and hispanic oppression. He then starts demanding the zip code of a stranger on the internet.

Demented..

Exactly. I made a comment about Irish people doing well in the US. I know colleagues who’ve transferred over and are flying up the ladder over there. They are advancing far faster than had they remained in Ireland.

In his mind, that’s the catalyst for a little diatribe about black and Hispanic oppression. He then starts demanding the zip code of a stranger on the internet.

Demented..

If you have luck, if you work hard and use the intelligence that you were given, it can work out for anyone (that is my honest opinion of the States).

I think the argument that Hispanics and blacks are oppressed, is down to a narrative that is being taught here. No doubt in previous times they were, similar to the Irish and Italians and polish and Lithuanians etc etc.

I doubt the guy who paints my properties sees it that way, a Mexican immigrant who employs around 40 others, has done very well for himself and is a hard worker also.

I still maintain my original premise that anyone can make it anywhere if you work hard and use that brain, instead of blaming everyone else, you make it work.

I am not saying the US is paradise, far from it! It has MAJOR issues facing it, social unrest, violence (hence the catalyst for the move by us), but there are many areas where those issues can be negated.

Irish people, generally, have what it takes when they emigrate to succeed. Yes there are those that sit in bars at night and lament having done it, seeing no hope of getting home. Yet there are those (and I see friends children originally from home) living a life they could not have back in Ireland.

As in all walks of life, you make the best of any opportunity, no matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Northernlily

In 2016, Melbourne topped the same list and Auckland was eighth. In that year, there were 3 Australian and One New Zealand city in the top 10, so compared to 2016, those two countries have only gained two cities in the top ten, so it's not all because of the pandemic.

Australia is a really good place to live to be fair and with top class cities. There is a lot we can learn from it here and its very frustrating that Dublin councillors seem to be constantly shooting themselves in the foot and stopping Dublin becoming what Sydney and Melbourne are today.

The pull wouldn't be enough to bring me back to Oz as the distance is too great and Ireland is my home and over all a pretty damn decent place to live. I think I'll buy a property in Spain at some stage to mix things up.

Try rise above the barbs, us Irish are not all as narrow minded and know a good solid country when we see one which Australia certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭global23214124

Possibly Spain but not sure there economy will be great but let's find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The joys of the remote working boom. Its not a bad commute if needs be. I'm sure there are ways of creatively working it the taxation side.

Too much corruption and two-faced attitudes among Spanish people towards foreigners. On the surface, Spain looks perfect, but any long-term living there will expose you to a host of problems. The Spanish economy is due to buckle.. and they have serious problems with their administrative/political regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I

I still maintain my original premise that anyone can make it anywhere if you work hard and use that brain, instead of blaming everyone else, you make it work.

That is the reason that the vast majority of Irish people stay in Ireland.

Hardly. Plenty of people have good careers and a nice lifestyle here. With the added benefit of being close to family and long term friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

True, because it is just as true for Ireland as it is for any other country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Australia is a really good place to live to be fair and with top class cities. There is a lot we can learn from it here
    Give us just Australia's bauxite deposits and Dublin will turn into Sydney in no time.
    Not even mention Australia's coal, iron ore, lithium, gold, diamonds or many other deposits.
    It is pretty easy to live rich decent life if your house lay on golden site.

Advertisement