Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda shoots himself in the foot

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm reminded here of awebcam set up somewhere in the USA that is 'looking' at a cocked revolver on top of a wardrobe, observing the possibility that it will somehow squeeze its own trigger and fire. I'm advised that it is, in fact, empty of ammunition - just trying to make a point.

And yes, I'm also of the opinion that the manufacturers, who have spent millions of euros in R&D to ensure that the gun is safe to handle unless the trigger is deliberately squeezed whilst it is pointed at a target, will end up taking the hit for this. Ineptitude always blames the tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I'll be more specific Cass... They are used by ONE unit. Just one... And not the one you said your grandad was in. Which on a side note I've never actually heard of but perhaps it's something that's been renamed in the last 15 years ? .... I'm assuming he's retired.

Sick & tired or not, they're keyboard warriors hiding behind user names. I'm not pissed nor do I feel wronged. Just engaging in a little debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm reminded here of awebcam set up somewhere in the USA that is 'looking' at a cocked revolver on top of a wardrobe, observing the possibility that it will somehow squeeze its own trigger and fire. I'm advised that it is, in fact, empty of ammunition - just trying to make a point.

And yes, I'm also of the opinion that the manufacturers, who have spent millions of euros in R&D to ensure that the gun is safe to handle unless the trigger is deliberately squeezed whilst it is pointed at a target, will end up taking the hit for this. Ineptitude always blames the tool.

Totally agree with tac here. Except that there probably won't be any taking the hit, because it'll most likely be swept away with no repercussions for anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Robotack wrote: »
    I'll be more specific Cass... They are used by ONE unit. Just one... And not the one you said your grandad was in. Which on a side note I've never actually heard of but perhaps it's something that's been renamed in the last 15 years ? .... I'm assuming he's retired.
    My Godfather, and yes he is well retired. I think its called CAB or possibly renamed again since.
    Sick & tired or not, they're keyboard warriors hiding behind user names. I'm not pissed nor do I feel wronged. Just engaging in a little debate.
    You've just called them names again.
    Keyboard warrior

a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the Internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.
    You're better off attacking their point, and not the person.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Robotack wrote: »
    Hammer is not bobbed on AGS SIGs. They are DAO, not not DAK. Plus the issued holster covers the hammer. But I guess he could have had a different holster. But the only way to be sure is to see the LHS of the frame for a decking lever.

They can be both actually... And I DO know when I see a exposed hammer,irrespective of the holster,whether issued or not. BTW AGS also kindly provided Limerick Post with a pic of the type of SIG used which is in the link article a few posts back. Now,I'm prettyyy sure they didnt run off to wherever to go and get the ultra correct gun for the media...BUT this one DOES have a decock,exposed hammer and saftey

And for carrying on work.25 years of private investigation.Five of those being on a personal protection detail in the US and two EU countries carrying various different side arms and long arms that were available or issued by whatever company had on their rack! Does that entitle me to an "opinion" in your books?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The original story,and from what the Nationals are feeding off.
    Best line "A Garda source said that the injured Garda is "very respected" and "is very experianced in using firearms":)

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/07/25/garda-recovering-from-accidental-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR2vUhqYK5GgsvBHC7kubIblu4Y_5UlSXqEJPlg5tAYpIimXzwhfiMdVGJE
    They can be both actually... And I DO know when I see a exposed hammer,irrespective of the holster,whether issued or not. BTW AGS also kindly provided Limerick Post with a pic of the type of SIG used which is in the link article a few posts back. Now,I'm prettyyy sure they didnt run off to wherever to go and get the ultra correct gun for the media...BUT this one DOES have a decock,exposed hammer and saftey

And for carrying on work.25 years of private investigation.Five of those being on a personal protection detail in the US and two EU countries carrying various different side arms and long arms that were available or issued by whatever company had on their rack! Does that entitle me to an "opinion" in your books?

If that's the post article that you mention, the journalist just Google'd P226 and found an image, as the one in that post is from this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFP36TQw2qs

Well spotted Sir.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Talk about making shlt up to suit your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Martin, I'm thinking that you might not be so smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I think this thread is straying off the path into a slagging match...not good....

• Advertisement

The thread has well and truly run it's course.

There is nothing to be added to the discussion that is new or going to progress it. Perhaps when more information comes out we can revisit it, but until then i'm closing the thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tac foley wrote: »
    I think you'll find, in most cases, that the ankle is closely located to the foot, unless, of course, things are different where you live.

Right now, Sir, your record on 'quote-quoting' is batting a solid zero - MY quote -

News Irish News Thursday 25 July 2019

Probe launched after garda accidentally shoots himself in the foot

Soooooo, either put up, or................................

https://www.thejournal.ie/gsoc-investigation-discharge-garda-firearm-4823001-Sep2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Isn't it worth a smile when they are issued with a personal fire arm of a Sig P226 SELF-LOADING pistol, not a SEMI-AUTOMATIC pistol.

Is this because self loading doesn't sound as bad as Semi Auto?

Maybe we should collectively start to refer to ours as self loading?

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm taking this as a bit of a quote from the previous posts referenced news paper article).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

dc99 wrote: »
    Isn't it worth a smile when they are issued with a personal fire arm of a Sig P226 SELF-LOADING pistol, not a SEMI-AUTOMATIC pistol.

Is this because self loading doesn't sound as bad as Semi Auto?

Maybe we should collectively start to refer to ours as self loading?

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm taking this as a bit of a quote from the previous posts referenced news paper article).

The British forces beat them to it, semi auto only FAL aka SLR.

Well in these days of gender being a constraint and labelling is discriminitory.Mine identifies as a single shot.22 pistol,and my rifle identifies as a double barrel shotgun! :rolleyes:

"The ASU when it was the RSU (Regional Support Unit) was previously armed with UZI machine guns but these were decommissioned in favour of the MP7 submachine gun.

“The Uzis were taken out and the mp7s brought in because they were deemed to be better and safer.”

Holy Sht snacks!! So using select fire close quarter battlefield weapons in a civillian setting is considerd safe and better??:rolleyes:

The ASU in Limerick were instrumental in solving the gang feud. They are an absolute credit to the force and the gangs are terrified of them,” one source said.

Righhhtttt...ok...Whatever you say there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The safety record of the Gardaí with firearms is worrying to say the least.

Thankfully they are not all armed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Anyone know what the current requirements are for Gardai to be deemed suitable to carry a firearm?

I assume that they are required to put time in at a range regularly, do periodic refresher training courses etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone know what the current requirements are for Gardai to be deemed suitable to carry a firearm?

I assume that they are required to put time in at a range regularly, do periodic refresher training courses etc.

Apparently having either the chamber empty or the safety on is not a requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

[/LIST]
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0611/1146938-garda-gun-accident/

It would be a member of Donnybrook Garda station who was on Diplomatic duty at either the American, British or Israeli Diplomatic missions.

If coming off duty more than likely bring weapon back to Donnybrook when the accidental discharge occurred.

Hope the member is okay.

Sig Sauer P226 more than likely or an older Smith and Wessen revolver possibly.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p226/

If they are not shooting themselves in the foot they are eating their service arms.13 of them have ended it all in the last decade with their issued sidearms.
    Carrick on Shannon was a scary one.Retired guy of 35 years still had the keys to the arms locker a month after retirement!Takes a UZI and ends it all down in the station toilet!
    Thankfully he was only going to do himself in,and not Carrick on Shannon!
    Literally the 1st thing that is taken off you in the US PDs after your last shift is any access to police arms when you retire.
    Scary that these situations and tragedies are then used to bias against us "mere civillians"in ownership.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

"Each individual garda trained in the use of a firearm must do a minimum of two live firearm refresher training sessions and one computer generated situation, known as a FATS, each year to retain the authorisation to carry a firearm.

Since 2013, 10,049 members of An Garda Síochána have received basic training and refresher courses."

Irish independent 28/12/16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kunekunesika

Considering they have had 2 very similar incidents (from our limited information) in a very short space of time, I'm wondering have they got one of these rare combinations of gun type, holster type with car seat/seat belt type, that may cause (increase the possibility) this? Curious to see if same car type and seating position was common to both? If not, then?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, I'm not happy that this discussion falls under the sports/shooting category so I'm closing it and going to ask the shooting mods to review it.

I am currently reviewing the thread.

After i posted my link to the newspaper article i unsubscribed from the thread and so did not receive notification for the new posts. Had i, i would have closed the thread too as the idea of this thread and the posts within were not intended as an opportunity to bash AGS.

The topic of the thread was supposed to be about firearm safety/handling and how it relates to the specific articles linked in this thread. We are free to discuss and critique AGS, but its not a "free for all" and bringing supposed issues into the discussion simply to try and find fault is pointless and irrelevant.

Not to mention if someone really wants to get into a discussion on AGS there is a dedicated forum for AGS, its here.

Once i have had the chance to discuss this with the other Mods i'll post a notification here and the thread will either be reopened or remain shut.

Anyone with any issues on this should contact me via PM and i'll happily discuss the matter with you and take on board any suggestions you might have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement