Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Berberis wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I have one of those DAA €10 Airport shopping voucher, so will use that also.

I had one of those vouchers and they refused to accept it when buying a kindle. Wouldn't give a reason apart from "my manager said so" which I wasn't impressed with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

mcgovern wrote: »
    Berberis wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I have one of those DAA €10 Airport shopping voucher, so will use that also.

I had one of those vouchers and they refused to accept it when buying a kindle. Wouldn't give a reason apart from "my manager said so" which I wasn't impressed with.

I really hope you went further with this and lodged a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

jamesd wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea will the kindle touch be available in ireland for before the xmas?

They're not being released outside of the US as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

renga wrote: »
    Sparrow, can I ask for clarification: (1) Do you mean you used the browser via 3G? and (2) Is it an Irish-bought Kindle Keyboard you used?

I posted a specific question elsewhere on boards.ie (link) that you might be able to address, as this is a make-or-break for me.

Thanks

Yes 3G works fine, mine was bought here in Ireland from amazon.com.
    i.e shipped from the US.

P.S browsing is painful, but it does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

renga wrote: »
    Sparrow, can I ask for clarification: (1) Do you mean you used the browser via 3G? and (2) Is it an Irish-bought Kindle Keyboard you used?

I posted a specific question elsewhere on boards.ie (link) that you might be able to address, as this is a make-or-break for me.

Thanks

Sure. Yes I used the browser via 3G in those countries and it was a Kindle Keyboard that was bought from Amazon UK and delivered to my sister in the UK as opposed to purchased here.

But if the Kindle Keyboard has 3G, I can't imagine that it matters whether it was bought here or from Amazon UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

silvine wrote: »
    jamesd wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea will the kindle touch be available in ireland for before the xmas?

They're not being released outside of the US as of yet.

I managed to get a friend to get me one in Chicago, only 73 euro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭brianomc

Just wondering if you had any trouble with it Alpish from the buying of books point of view. Were you able to buy from the irish/uk store or did you need an american credit card to buy from the american amazon store?
    Have been asked to buy one in america next week for someone but I want to make sure there's no issues.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

Yes 3G works fine, mine was bought here in Ireland from amazon.com.
    i.e shipped from the US.

P.S browsing is painful, but it does work.
    Great - that's what I needed to hear. Many thanks! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

brianomc wrote: »
    Just wondering if you had any trouble with it Alpish from the buying of books point of view. Were you able to buy from the irish/uk store or did you need an american credit card to buy from the american amazon store?
    Have been asked to buy one in america next week for someone but I want to make sure there's no issues.
    Thanks.

I don't actually have it yet but as far as I know as long as you have an Amazon account you can get books from either the UK or US Amazons regardless of where you purchased it. I purchased the kindle from my own account but got it sent to my friend in Chicago. When purchasing the kindle it asked if I wanted it registered to my own Amazon account or have it unregistered(this option is if it was for a gift etc.)

Also, if you use torrents there are loads of kindle books that you van download :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭brianomc

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thanks.

I got a mate to send one over from America,I bought it and sent it to his address and he sent it on to me.I have had no problems with it.I used my Irish credit card and my own amazon account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Thanks.
    I buy from the US store using an Irish credit card and address - no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can buy a lot of things from the US or UK kindle stores, but they will only sell UK kindle books (not sure if it's all of them or just some) to someone with a UK address on their amazon account due to publishing restrictions.

having said that, all they do is check your address registered on the account and if it's UK one they let you buy kindle books, even with an irish credit card, so just change it. although i have heard that they have disabled some accounts due to people continually changing address back and forth just to buy books, so i wouldn't make a habit of it, just in case.

i had no trouble buying a US kindle touch from the amazon.com store with an Irish credit card, although they would only ship to a US address, so i got a forwarding address for free from www.viaddress.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Jaysus! they're only $79 in the states but €110 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

groom wrote: »
    Jaysus! they're only $79 in the states but €110 here.

The $79 models have advertisements in them, the $109 model is what they sell here

Oh wow. Ad enabled. That's what 'with the special offers' means

I had a quick looks around and saw this

The whole “starting at $79” complication to the product is because of a new wrinkle to Amazon’s price structure, added earlier this year: the ad-supported “Kindle with Special Offers” approach. In exchange for a discount on the Kindle hardware, your Kindle displays ads when it’s turned off, as well as a small ad tile on its home screen. (Relax—there are no ads in the books themselves.)

It sounds kind of chintzy, embedding ads in a product like this. And that’s why Amazon will let you pay $109 for a fourth-generation Kindle without Special Offers. However, I’ve talked to some people with the Special Offers Kindle who say that the ads are more of a feature than a liability. I’ve heard of good deals on Amazon merchandise, and even gift-card deals such as $20 Amazon credit for $10. If you have a stomach for a little marketing and enjoy getting deals on Amazon.com goods, the Special Offers Kindle might be an even better deal than it appears to be.

(And honestly, since Amazon doesn’t let you swap in your own images for its custom screen saver, all you’re doing is seeing ads instead of old woodcut illustrations of dead authors. I’d think more carefully about the Kindle with Special Offers if I was replacing pictures of my kids with ads.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b3CCakMUM0

Doesn't sound too bad. Anyone got one with the ads. Aparently you don't see them in the books

I have the one with the ads.it makes no difference whatsoever,only comes on when the Kindle isnt in use,its like a screensaver.There aren't any pop up ads or anything like that,no interference while you are using the kindle.it doesnt waste any extra battery life either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

i got my 3g-wifi keyboard from amazon.com and as far as I know I can only buy books from the amazon.com website. It's annoying the odd time I see a good deal on amazon.co.uk but I'd say on balance it probably works out buying all my books in dollars.

RE. Browsing - it does work painfully slowly but there is a way of making it work slightly less painful by choosing article mode when you're browsing. that brings up the article that you're reading like a normal kindle page. makes it a bit easier to read too. I think the 3G browsing is a useful extra when you might be away and your mobile browsing might be too expensive or not working but i wouldn't want to rely on it for first-aid advice or anything like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have the one with the ads.it makes no difference whatsoever,only comes on when the Kindle isnt in use,its like a screensaver.There aren't any pop up ads or anything like that,no interference while you are using the kindle.it doesnt waste any extra battery life either.

Have one too and echoe the above.

An ad fills the screen when the screensaver kicks in.

At the menu there is a ball rectangle ad right at the bottom of the screen.

Nothing ever comes up with Im reading the Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Have one too and echoe the above.

An ad fills the screen when the screensaver kicks in.

At the menu there is a ball rectangle ad right at the bottom of the screen.

Nothing ever comes up with Im reading the Kindle.

FYI if you're interested here's how to remove the ads. I've done it and it works a treat!!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139279&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

vibe666 wrote: »
    you can buy a lot of things from the US or UK kindle stores, but they will only sell UK kindle books (not sure if it's all of them or just some) to someone with a UK address on their amazon account due to publishing restrictions.

having said that, all they do is check your address registered on the account and if it's UK one they let you buy kindle books, even with an irish credit card, so just change it. although i have heard that they have disabled some accounts due to people continually changing address back and forth just to buy books, so i wouldn't make a habit of it, just in case.

i had no trouble buying a US kindle touch from the amazon.com store with an Irish credit card, although they would only ship to a US address, so i got a forwarding address for free from www.viaddress.com.

I've done this aswell. Hoping all goes to plan with ViaAddress and customs doesnt end up costing too much (if I get caught!).

Thanks for the tip Vibe! :)

garion wrote: »
    I've done this aswell. Hoping all goes to plan with ViaAddress and customs doesnt end up costing too much (if I get caught!).

Thanks for the tip Vibe! :)
    they will generally process everything that comes through based on the declared value, occasionally opening stuff up to see that what's inside matches what's been declared if they are in the mood.

a friend sent us some baby presents from Oz a couple of months ago and declared the value as $500AU thinking that if it got lost that we'd get 500 quid for it, not thinking that customs would just charge import duties based on the $500 declaration (shocking for someone with a masters degree, but i digress).

the postman turned up with it and my wife refused to take it. he said that she should appeal it and get them to open it up, which they did and then let us off without any charge as the real value wasn't very much at all and it was genuinely gifts for our new baby.

anyway, i have a trick for greasing the wheels as far as customs goes, so i'll let you know when they are delivered if it worked or not, don't want to jinx it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

how much did the shipping work out at then m8?

should be about $38 dollars for a kindle on it's own, but mine includes a rather large childens toy and was about $260 dollars, so i'm probably not the best person to ask. :D

on the bright side, the kindle postage was practically free when added to the toy postage, so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

So can anyone tell me are these worth buying? What are they like for newish releases? I am getting my mate who is in the states to get me one. 75 euro. Won't be bothering with the 3G as Wifi is everywhere now so bit pointless and especially if they are as bad as people say for browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

battser wrote: »
    So can anyone tell me are these worth buying? What are they like for newish releases? I am getting my mate who is in the states to get me one. 75 euro. Won't be bothering with the 3G as Wifi is everywhere now so bit pointless and especially if they are as bad as people say for browsing.

Very good for new releases, especially pure text, fiction... - we downloaded the Booker Prize winner about 5 minutes after it was announced.

Less good for books from 10 - 30 years back - may not be easily obtained in digital form.

Reference books and technical books - it depends. Works well for some with pdfs - others say it's a pain.

Good for very old books or ones that have gone out of copyright - Project Gutenburg etc. are making these available for free or very cheap.

Not great for anything with photographs or where you have to refer to specific page numbers as this changes depending on the font size you select etc.

You can't sell or give away the "book" after you've read it (well - you can to some degree). You can't donate it to the local library or the charity shop.

Better for American titles - UK titles less available (unless "International"), Irish titles.... any???

Bargain Alerts strikes again. I didn't know I wanted one yesterday afternoon but now a $79 one is winging its way to me via Nashville. Yee Haw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I think that they are great.

1. Buy Kindle.
    2. Download Calibre software.
    3. download/beg/borrow/copy books.
    4. Use calibre to load books to kindle.
    5. instant portable library.

yep, totally. :)

it's hard to go wrong with them tbh. you've got great battery life, a good clear screen that is close enough to real paper so you're not going to get a headache reading it, even after hours at it and you've got practically unlimited wireless access to almost any book you could wish for.

what's not to like? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Bargain Alerts strikes again. I didn't know I wanted one yesterday afternoon but now a $79 one is winging its way to me via Nashville. Yee Haw!

how much was shipping in the end m8?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Can you select which carrier with viaddress because in my experience fedex, ups slap customs on 100% of parcels and dhl most of the time whereas I have only once paid cutoms on a usps packet about 7 years ago

there was two options on mine, but i'm pretty sure both were fedex.

although they will repackage your item(s) free of charge and then declare whatever value and description you tell them to on the outer packaging.

in related news, my Viaddress package arrived in Stansted from Indianapolis at around 5:30pm today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Guill wrote: »
    I think that they are great.

1. Buy Kindle.
    2. Download Calibre software.
    3. download/beg/borrow/copy books.
    4. Use calibre to load books to kindle.
    5. instant portable library.

What's calibre? The utorrent for ebooks? Sounds good guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What's calibre? The utorrent for ebooks? Sounds good guys.

Nope, its more like the iTunes for ebooks. Allows you to manage your collection, convert books between the various formats, preview the books, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

How did you manage to order one from ths US kindle site?

doxy wrote: »
    How did you manage to order one from ths US kindle site?
    same way as i did, using amazon.com and a US based mail forwarding address from www.viaddress.com. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Make sure you post an update here tomorrow when you have a final total ($79 + shipping + duty (?))

I'm getting a kindle for Dad for Christmas and may go the same route if it works out cheaper than €109.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

same here ! , had been reading this thread ,then a colleague asked me if i wanted anthing brought back from States in mid December ,bang! , going to see if he can get me a Kindle Touch "with special offers" for $99. At least thats what I see on the amazon site , anyone know if all types of kindles are available in regular stores in US ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Rooy wrote: »
    same here ! , had been reading this thread ,then a colleague asked me if i wanted anthing brought back from States in mid December ,bang! , going to see if he can get me a Kindle Touch "with special offers" for $99. At least thats what I see on the amazon site , anyone know if all types of kindles are available in regular stores in US ?

I was in Vegas last month, couldn't find it anywhere, even in the 4 US Airports i was in over there, The Irish and Uk Airports had them.

Then again, i dont think many people go to Vegas to read..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

best store in terms of accessibility, in that there are plenty of them in all major cities in the US for buying Kindles is Best Buy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

same way as i did, using amazon.com and a US based mail forwarding address from www.viaddress.com. :)

How exactly does this work do you pay duty on it and hwo long did it take to arrive.

Cheers

Rooy wrote: »

Get it delivered from Amazon to the hotel your colleague is staying in.Sign up to a free trial of Amazon Prime and there will be free shipping that takes 2 days,if your stuck for time.I have got amazon to post to hotels before and theres no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Get it delivered from Amazon to the hotel your colleague is staying in.Sign up to a free trial of Amazon Prime and there will be free shipping that takes 2 days,if your stuck for time.I have got amazon to post to hotels before and theres no problem.

Thanks Y. , it is actually an American collague coming over here for a week which makes it a bit easier , so will look at ordering from amazon myself and get delivered to him ,should have thought of that myself! , save him a try to mall and no worry that he will buy the wrong one!

bennyc wrote: »
    How exactly does this work do you pay duty on it and hwo long did it take to arrive.

Cheers
    i ordered a kindle fire & kindle touch (as xmas pressies) as well as a large children's toy that you can't get outside of the US and had them repackage it all as one box. it was ready for dispatch tuesday night, so i paid the shipping fees and they tried to deliver it this morning, but i'm moving house today and tomorrow and wasn't expecting it to arrive so quickly and put my new address on for delivery and we're not there yet. :o

the tracking page says they'll attempt delivery 3 days in a row, so i should have it by tomorrow when we're in the new house. :)

no word on import duties, but i imagine they'll ask for COD for those tomorrow.

no word on import duties, but i imagine they'll ask for COD for those tomorrow.

Anytime Ive ordered something expensive from US/abroad (something every couple of months) if our lovely govt. is looking for tax/duties on it I have received a letter from them telling me they have a package for me but will not release it until I have the taxes paid. It only happened twice before. Before completing any orders I ask the shop/supplier if they will mark the item as "GIFT" or if possible use EMS courier services. For some reason EMS always breezes through

Id say you are in the clear here

if you ask viaddress to "repackage" your item(s) into smaller packaging (which they will do for free), they will do so in plain wrapping and then put on the inventory whatever you tell them to, complete with your own assessment of the contents and value of said item(s), which i'm guessing would be the only way they will have to calculate the import duties unless they open it up for an inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

As a matter of interest how much would one expect to pay for delivery of a kindle ?

sign up for an amazon prime trial and get free delivery to your US forwarding address, then it'll be $38 to get it shipped to Ireland, plus whatever customs charges are, assuming you get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

I bought my Kindle through the Amazon.com, the only way from ireland. Because if this Amazon add in all duty charges for importing to ireland and show you the total at checkout. Landed on my door in 4 days.

Advertisement