Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Yeah there was a report that they have hired some female directors and writers and weren’t announcing to basically protect them. Which is shocking. Better idea might have been to announce all the talent they’ve hired at the same time, the GOT lads getting hired has caused its own outrage in certain quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

tigger123 wrote: »
    I think if you are a woman working in the industry you'd definilty think twice before taking any kind of job on Star Wars. It's a real pity.

I think if you're anyone, you'd think long and hard about taking any part in a Star Wars film.

Star Wars fans are so precious about "their" franchise, that if you put any foot wrong, there's millions of words about it in cyberspace and regardless of some say, the is such a thing as bad publicity.

Into the bargain, the constraints with which people have to work under are insane. For a director (regardless of sex), you run the risk of tiresome studio interference, leading to large reshoots and or getting shunted off the project if it doesn't conform to rigid standards.

I used to think that I'd give my eyeteeth to be part of a Star Wars film. But, these days I think it would be a nightmare.

Says the guy who spends months railing against Star Wars films before they’re even released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think, if anything, it will just teach the studios and actors and directors, to completely ignore the fans, and solely rely on critical reviews and box office take to determine if they did the right thing.

astrofool wrote: »
    I think, if anything, it will just teach the studios and actors and directors, to completely ignore the fans, and solely rely on critical reviews and box office take to determine if they did the right thing.

You ignore fans of a franchise at your peril. It's the folk who've invested their time, money and a portion of their lives who engine such things.

A Star Wars film isn't just a movie. It's a chapter in a "history" and fans will expect certain things of it.

If Disney want this thing to survive long term, you bet your life they're listening to those fans.

Reviews and reviewers don't finance films. The fans do.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    You ignore fans of a franchise at your peril. It's the folk who've invested their time, money and a portion of their lives who engine such things.

A Star Wars film isn't just a movie. It's a chapter in a "history" and fans will expect certain things of it.

If Disney want this thing to survive long term, you bet your life they're listening to those fans.

Reviews and reviewers don't finance films. The fans do.

I hate YouTube but this was sent to me. Really good video. Takes down all of us on both sides of the aisle honestly and fairly. Worth a watch. Unanswerable question though. What do we want from Star Wars? (Spoiler alert. We’re all self entitled man babies all of us, and we need to grow up cop on and just enjoy it).

Enjoying something isn't just about "coping on".

Something has to be enjoyable first.

Enjoying something isn't just about "coping on".

Something has to be enjoyable first.

How can anyone enjoy something if they’re complaining about it before they’ve even seen it?
    You were going on about screeching fan Bois complaining and ruining it in your last post. ‘Star Wars fans are so precious about “their” franchise ‘ ... you scream and complain about Star Wars louder than anyone here and more consistently than anyone here.

I think if you're anyone, you'd think long and hard about taking any part in a Star Wars film.

Star Wars fans are so precious about "their" franchise, that if you put any foot wrong, there's millions of words about it in cyberspace and regardless of some say, the is such a thing as bad publicity.

Into the bargain, the constraints with which people have to work under are insane. For a director (regardless of sex), you run the risk of tiresome studio interference, leading to large reshoots and or getting shunted off the project if it doesn't conform to rigid standards.

I used to think that I'd give my eyeteeth to be part of a Star Wars film. But, these days I think it would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

astrofool wrote: »

That will work out well. The last Jedi has a critic score of 98% and an audience score of under 50% and, by all accounts, it's box office and merch sales are poor.

If the last few years have taught us anything it's that American critics seem to champion anything that resonates with their echo chamber rather than actually review on merits. I see JJ Abrams recently blaming the audience for wrongthink :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bambi wrote: »
    by all accounts, it's box office and merch sales are poor.

Except for by the account where it is the 9th highest grossing film of all time and the highest grossing film of 2017.

I don’t think box office numbers represent a goddamn thing in the general scheme of critiquing films, mind, regardless of whether a film is well or poorly received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I see JJ Abrams recently blaming the audience for wrongthink :o

Yeah, gotta love that. So... Luke's character assassination, the juvenile humour or the utterly pointless Canto Bight sequence didn't have anything to do with the fact that I didn't like the movie? Thanks for enlightening me, J.J.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Relikk wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta love that. So... Luke's character assassination, the juvenile humour or the stupendously pointless Canto Bight sequence didn't have anything to do with the fact that I didn't like the movie? Thanks for enlightening me, J.J.

He never said anything of the sort, at least that I can see?

Assuming we're all talking about the same interview, he was specifically responding to the crowd that has an immediate problem with the presence of women (the "fat Asian b***h" sort of crew):
    ‘Star Wars’ is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in ‘Star Wars. If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in ‘Star Wars.’

He actually goes on to say about the fanbase more generally, in a comment I'd struggle to find in any way provocative:
    “I think everyone is going to have their point of view. Certainly something I discovered early on in the ‘Star Wars’ world, is that you’re going to have an incredibly passionate and vocal fanbase, and they’re all going to have a lot of specific opinions.”

I think it's a good example of how headlines (the initial IndieWire headline is misleading, something that carried on through several articles that quoted it) and journalistic Chinese whispers can communicate a different meaning than what was initially said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

True, I didn't read it and that's a problem. Apologies for overreacting.

This has been used in the past as an argument, insinuating that people who didn't like the movie are somehow gender biased and in general it's becoming tiresome when it's used as an insinuation as to why I didn't like the movie. It felt a bit like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That will work out well. The last Jedi has a critic score of 98% and an audience score of under 50% and, by all accounts, it's box office and merch sales are poor.

If the last few years have taught us anything it's that American critics seem to champion anything that resonates with their echo chamber rather than actually review on merits. I see JJ Abrams recently blaming the audience for wrongthink :o

Do you seriously think the 'audience' score on these aggregators is beyond manipulation, groupthink, agendas, or just plain fan dog-piling? Give me a break - hell hath no fury like internet herds on a crusade. At least the critic scores aren't prone to review-bombing, something highlighted in the run-up to the release of Black Panther, where 'fans' were organising a boycott to intentionally downvote the film as a 'protest' against perceived slights against DC films. Half these votes have no reviews, no context, no extrapolation on thoughts.

david75 wrote: »
    How can anyone enjoy something if they’re complaining about it before they’ve even seen it?
    You were going on about screeching fan Bois complaining and ruining it in your last post. ‘Star Wars fans are so precious about “their” franchise ‘ ... you scream and complain about Star Wars louder than anyone here and more consistently than anyone here.

You're having a lot of trouble understanding the points being made aren't you.

In order for something to be ENJOYED, it has to be ENJOYABLE. If somebody doesn't find something ENJOYABLE, they're not going to ENJOY it.

It's not a matter of "cop on".

Enjoying something happens. You don't make it happen. You either enjoy something, or you don't and getting upset about people not liking something you do isn't going to change that.

Plus, I'm not "screeching" about anyone. That's in your own head. The observation being made is that working on a Star Wars film occurs under very tight constraints, by virtue of the fact that people have history with these films, books and comics, etc. That's an absolute minefield to negotiate.

As for "scream(ing)" and "complain(ing)"... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Do you seriously think the 'audience' score on these aggregators is beyond manipulation, groupthink, agendas, or just plain fan dog-piling? Give me a break - hell hath no fury like internet herds on a crusade. At least the critic scores aren't prone to review-bombing, something highlighted in the run-up to the release of Black Panther, where 'fans' were organising a boycott to intentionally downvote the film as a 'protest' against perceived slights against DC films. Half these votes have no reviews, no context, no extrapolation on thoughts.

Which group do you think is more prone to group think, manipulation and agendas:

A) A very small, homogeneous group.

or

B) Basically, the entire planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭tigger123

Which group do you think is more prone to group think, manipulation and agendas:

or

IMDB users are in no way representative of the entire cinema going audience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

or

Online aggregators do not represent "the entire planet" anymore than professional critics are "homogeneous". How many here on boards use these sites?. That goes double for any movie spawning from a franchise with a known core of fandom, who by dint of obsession are more likely to score something, be it positive or negative. Review bombing exists, and not just on aggregators either. To presume the user score is a single source of truth ignores all the flaws, factions, and prejudices that skew the final figure.

The toy sales are down in a huge way and collectors have even cottoned on to the fact that they’re simply repackaging them upon each new films release as a different edition but. It’s exactly the same figure that didn’t sell last time.

Also, a 50% Rotten Tomatoes score still means 50% of people who rated it liked it.

I mean, I still think it’s nonsense barometer of anything and hilariously open to manipulation one way or the other, but still.

• Advertisement

And RT scores on a slew of recent releases have been actively and demonstrably review bombed by different groups and ‘campaigns’ for various reasons. The black panther one being the most alarming imo

Also worth pointing out that industry-standard and refined audience metric barometers such as CinemaScore have given each of the last three Star Wars films very high ratings - an ‘A’ in the case of TLJ. Again, I don’t think it’s definitive proof of anything (most films that are in any way competent tend to skew positive), but as a real-time exit poll of cinema goers it is if nothing else a significant data point for anyone interested in such things (mostly studio executives).

You're having a lot of trouble understanding the points being made aren't you.

In order for something to be ENJOYED, it has to be ENJOYABLE. If somebody doesn't find something ENJOYABLE, they're not going to ENJOY it.

It's not a matter of "cop on".

Enjoying something happens. You don't make it happen. You either enjoy something, or you don't and getting upset about people not liking something you do isn't going to change that.

Plus, I'm not "screeching" about anyone. That's in your own head. The observation being made is that working on a Star Wars film occurs under very tight constraints, by virtue of the fact that people have history with these films, books and comics, etc. That's an absolute minefield to negotiate.

As for "scream(ing)" and "complain(ing)"... :pac:

My point was I’ve long marvelled at your gift of foresight and knowing these films will be crap long before they’re released but you then blamed outraged fanbois for their reaction and derided their behaviour&reactions when your own criticisms are usually a year ahead of them and in line with them upon release. Least your consistent but to single them out for while you’re doing the same is a bit rich.

John favreau has to be a lock at some point doesn’t he?
    He’s already done a voice for one of the animated series and another for a character in Solo.
    Be cool to see him get to do a film. Standalone or new saga.

My point was I’ve long marvelled at your gift of foresight and knowing these films will be crap long before they’re released but you then blamed outraged fanbois for their reaction and derided their behaviour&reactions when your own criticisms are usually a year ahead of them and in line with them upon release. Least your consistent but to single them out for while you’re doing the same is a bit rich.

Oh My Fucking god...

Oh My Fucking god...

I love you though xx

Now answer my John Favreau post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This thread has me thinking, I’d like to see a gritty empire side story, maybe an officer and a storm trooper in training without a big happy ending as presumably they don’t see themselves as the baddies. In fact in lots of parts of the galaxy they could probably be the good guys to start with.

salmocab wrote: »
    This thread has me thinking, I’d like to see a gritty empire side story, maybe an officer and a storm trooper in training without a big happy ending as presumably they don’t see themselves as the baddies. In fact in lots of parts of the galaxy they could probably be the good guys to start with.

There’s a couple of new canon books that do this and it’s really well done. Think if you play imperial in the batttlefront game there’s a big story along those lines too.
    Deadly idea though. Could be one of the tv series we’re getting. Imagine all the backstabbing and career imperials doing intrigue. Like Krennic and Tarkin but more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s a couple of new canon books that do this and it’s really well done. Think if you play imperial in the batttlefront game there’s a big story along those lines too.
    Deadly idea though. Could be one of the tv series we’re getting. Imagine all the backstabbing and career imperials doing intrigue. Like Krennic and Tarkin but more :)

Would you have a link to some good canon books I read one Star Wars book years ago and it was pants, wouldn’t mind a read of something good.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Would you have a link to some good canon books I read one Star Wars book years ago and it was pants, wouldn’t mind a read of something good.

Here’s a link to the entire list of of new canon books.
    Off the bat for real gritty to the political and intrigue to true deadly Star Wars id recommend Bloodline, lost stars, Princess Leia of Alderaan, lords of the sith, Tarkin, dark disciple, perfect weapon, and maybe the legends of Luke Skywalker but that’s a tie in to TLJ so maybe isn’t for everyone. Every book there is loved across fandom.
    Avoid the aftermath trilogy. They’re just bad.
    Here’s the complete list.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books

This one is probably better. Includes the comics and it’s chronological and has descriptions of each book
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/your-guide-to-the-new-canon-of-star-wars-books-comics/

Advertisement