Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

1568101141

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal


    david75 wrote: »
    Don’t forget Simon Kinberg and Dave Filoni are still involved in all this including Kinberg who is currently writing a TBA Star Wars film.
    Both these guys have done immense work with Rebels and Clone Wars so it’s likely they’ll be among the people writing for this.

    It's genuinely baffling to me that they weren't tapped for the sequels in the first place.
    There was a wealth of writing talent out there that understood the universe and instead of taking advantage of that pool of talent Kennedy chose to hire directors she would subsuquently fire or those like Johnson who clearly had no clue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer


    conorhal wrote: »
    ...like Johnson who clearly had no clue.

    I wouldn't say he had no clue, but more so he just wanted to break the wheel and have start all over again. SW fans are the kids putting together a LEGO Millenium Falcon set, then Rian is the kid that comes along and decides it would be cooler to use the pieces to make something else that he thinks is cool but is completely inferior.

    I never wanted Trevorrow to direct IX but having heard that he fought to keep Luke alive, and planned big things for him and Leia (pre-Carrie's death), and a proper handover to Rey, I'm much more on board with his intentions than Rian's.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear


    So to recap quickly,

    In film we have:
    Solo - May 2018
    Ep. IX - Dec 2019
    Alternating trilogies from Johnson and Benihoff and Weiss

    Seemingly that'll mean we only get 1 SW film in 2019. They surely can't crank one out by September 2019 so it'd be Spring 2020 before either of the new trilogies start.
    After that, if we got 2 a year that'd carry us up to Christmas 2022.

    They probably can't get too many more in than that, because they'll surely be pushing the big films for Summer or Christmas and they already have 2 or 3 Marvel films they want in those slots as well.

    They've already had to juggle Avengers 3, Solo and Deadpool from the end of April to May.

    TV:
    Filoni's new animated show (almost certainly)
    Favreau's new show (is that this Star Wars: Resistance we've heard about?)

    If there's any reason for more broad belief in Disney's vision for Star Wars, it's how little they've done, rather than how much.

    They're pushing ahead with lots of written content - there's about 8 comic runs and books coming out all the time, but they've had Star Wars for what, 4,5 years now and they didn't just spunk out TV shows straight away or vomit out a million cheap games.

    I can't imagine they're pleased with EA's failure but they must've known they were getting a limited number of games by giving them an exclusive license. You can drop Star Wars into pretty much any genre and that they've avoided that, hopefully means they're trying to go for quality over quantity.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    conorhal wrote: »
    It's genuinely baffling to me that they weren't tapped for the sequels in the first place.
    There was a wealth of writing talent out there that understood the universe and instead of taking advantage of that pool of talent Kennedy chose to hire directors she would subsuquently fire or those like Johnson who clearly had no clue.

    To be honest I think they’ve been letting Filoni and Kinberg cut their teeth and now they’ll get off the bench and into the directors and writers chair for these new live action series.
    Filoni is George’s protoge and studied at the feet of JJ and Johnson it seems.
    Filoni knows and writes Star Wars better than anyone else in the world right now but probably wouldn’t be a great director for a main Star Wars film whereas Johnson is a great director who probably should have been reigned in and given a more detailed outline to write in rather than a totally free reign.

    I definitely think you’ll see all future hires be directed to collaborate with the storygroup more. We know Johnson did to some degree wrt the Jedi and their lore. But I can see them being more involved in the writing from now on.

    They’d have to be if these series and new films are to work within the established galaxy canon and timeline. Or not if they’re doing totally new things



    For example im beginning to think it’ll be a tv series for Kenobi rather than a film.
    So that’ll need the story group deeply involved to keep story elements in line with established canon. But who knows


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    Gbear wrote: »
    So to recap quickly,

    In film we have:
    Solo - May 2018
    Ep. IX - Dec 2019
    Alternating trilogies from Johnson and Benihoff and Weiss

    Seemingly that'll mean we only get 1 SW film in 2019. They surely can't crank one out by September 2019 so it'd be Spring 2020 before either of the new trilogies start.
    After that, if we got 2 a year that'd carry us up to Christmas 2022.

    They probably can't get too many more in than that, because they'll surely be pushing the big films for Summer or Christmas and they already have 2 or 3 Marvel films they want in those slots as well.

    They've already had to juggle Avengers 3, Solo and Deadpool from the end of April to May.

    TV:
    Filoni's new animated show (almost certainly)
    Favreau's new show (is that this Star Wars: Resistance we've heard about?)

    If there's any reason for more broad belief in Disney's vision for Star Wars, it's how little they've done, rather than how much.

    They're pushing ahead with lots of written content - there's about 8 comic runs and books coming out all the time, but they've had Star Wars for what, 4,5 years now and they didn't just spunk out TV shows straight away or vomit out a million cheap games.

    I can't imagine they're pleased with EA's failure but they must've known they were getting a limited number of games by giving them an exclusive license. You can drop Star Wars into pretty much any genre and that they've avoided that, hopefully means they're trying to go for quality over quantity.


    I’ve been saying that for a while. They’re treating it all very carefully and going quietly when it comes to all the new projects. Think it was iger said the streaming service would start in 2019 and the first tv series would be its flagship, around the same time production began on project Joshua tree. Everyone assumed it was Kenobi. But not a peep about it since but that company /production name has been registered as they do with all their films so I’d say they’re sitting on announcements in order to prevent it feeling like overload before it’s even released.

    Next Star Wars celebration is in 2019. Usually May that happens. You’ll see a raft of announcements there. Know for sure the next animated series will be announced there and probably the first couple of episodes shown as they usually do. And Filoni and Hidlago have said it’ll be then too.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH




  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab


    Think we’ve seen enough of obi wan and know enough of his story, I’d really like to see a secondary character fleshed out or even just a story with nobody that has ever met a skywalker in it. Infinite universe with infinite stories!


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    I agree.

    Unfortunately, I don't think Disney sees it that way. OT characters are still the biggest draw/sellers, so they'll continue to milk that until they're destroyed.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    Well the latest rumour is that James Mangold is going to write and direct a Boba Fett spin off.

    Just a rumour but still, Disney really are lowballing the franchise so far if it's true. Arguably the zeneth in minor Wars characters elevated way beyond their worth. One cool helmet and he gets a film of his own...


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear


    pixelburp wrote: »
    Well the latest rumour is that James Mangold is going to write and direct a Boba Fett spin off.

    Just a rumour but still, Disney really are lowballing the franchise so far if it's true. Arguably the zeneth in minor Wars characters elevated way beyond their worth. One cool helmet and he gets a film of his own...

    There's enough intrinsic good stuff in a bounty hunter in this universe, and they've set up enough in canon that there's plenty to work with.

    As something vaguely original, I think it's a better bet for a standalone than Solo or Kenobi.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda


    The Star Wars universe really is creatively redundant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab


    My worry with Boba Fett is that if he has his own story they will try to make him out to be the good guy in the story, I like to think that he was just a hardened bounty hunter who is still angry about his father.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    I think Tony mentioned this previously, but if they are doing Boba Fett and Obi Wan (with Solo already started), it is clear they are trying to etch out an 'Avengers' style film which could possibly see all three characters cross path at some point. Less so Obi Wan, but Solo could build a team of scoundrels to do heists while Boba Fett and his team are also competing/chasing Solo's group of outlaws.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives


    salmocab wrote: »
    Think we’ve seen enough of obi wan and know enough of his story, I’d really like to see a secondary character fleshed out or even just a story with nobody that has ever met a skywalker in it. Infinite universe with infinite stories!

    Out of all the stories Disney could do, Obi Wan is the one I would like to see.
    I'm in this universe for the Jedi, the force and all that craic...

    The Last Jedi really annoyed me, I will wait to see solo on Digital release, but I will still watch it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    salmocab wrote: »
    My worry with Boba Fett is that if he has his own story they will try to make him out to be the good guy in the story, I like to think that he was just a hardened bounty hunter who is still angry about his father.

    Yeh. It's Disney. There's just no way they're going to have a bad guy front and centre in their movie and Boba Fett is a bad guy. He was created purely so the audience would worry about Han Solo. We're talking about someone who's famous for disintegrating his bounties. :pac:

    I think really the only way for this film to really work, is to rip of 'For a Few Dollars More', with Boba Fett facing off against someone like Cad Bane, who was based off of Lee Van Cleef anyway.

    Not really that enthused by the director choice either. Wasn't mad about the '3:10 to Yuma' remake. Although, I did like 'Cop Land'. So, it's column A and column B.

    I spose I'm going to have to watch 'Logan'.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    Tony EH wrote: »
    [...]
    I spose I'm going to have to watch 'Logan'.

    Honestly, if you're sick of, or at least a little fizzled out with the MCU, Logan might be the film for you; it's bleak and beautiful at the same time, while being the cinematic equivalent of raging against the dying of the light. It's quite brutal, and I don't mean the violence. Obviously I won't spoil too much, but to effectively cap off the Jackman-Stewart line of X-Men films with something as openly angry & despairing as Logan was a stroke of genius. Heck, it retroactively casts the previous Wolverine-centric movies in a new light.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're sick of, or at least a little fizzled out with the MCU, Logan might be the film for you; it's bleak and beautiful at the same time, while being the cinematic equivalent of raging against the dying of the light. It's quite brutal, and I don't mean the violence. Obviously I won't spoil too much, but to effectively cap off the Jackman-Stewart line of X-Men films with something as openly angry & despairing as Logan was a stroke of genius. Heck, it retroactively casts the previous Wolverine-centric movies in a new light.


    Yeh, it's kind of been on the to do list for a while, even though the MCU does nothing for me.


    I DID like the original X Men films...so...


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot


    Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, it's kind of been on the to do list for a while, even though the MCU does nothing for me.


    I DID like the original X Men films...so...

    You haven’t seen Logan??? Jaesus Tony!!!

    It’s superb..... And it’s savagely bleak but just brilliant... I actually found it hard to watch at times... My suggestion is to watch Deadpool afterwards to pick you up!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom


    Out of all the stories Disney could do, Obi Wan is the one I would like to see.
    I'm in this universe for the Jedi, the force and all that craic...

    The Last Jedi really annoyed me, I will wait to see solo on Digital release, but I will still watch it.


    The problem with an Obi Wan movie is what's left to tell that's not already been covered in previous movies at this point? The entire story of Obi Wan has been pretty much covered in the prequels and original movie from him being a young padawan up to his hiding out in the desert keeping an eye on Luke.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby


    Venom wrote: »
    The problem with an Obi Wan movie is what's left to tell that's not already been covered in previous movies at this point? The entire story of Obi Wan has been pretty much covered in the prequels and original movie from him being a young padawan up to his hiding out in the desert keeping an eye on Luke.

    I would have agreed with you before having seen Solo.

    A solo spoiler follows so, don't read if you haven't seen it.
    With the revelation that Darth Maul is still alive during the period that Obi-wan is watching over Luke on Tatooine..... we have a ready made villain for an Obi-wan movie. One with a background animosity already there.
    Surely they haven't set that up for no reason? It HAS to be for the Obi-wan flick.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk


    Kirby wrote: »
    With the revelation that Darth Maul is still alive during the period that Obi-wan is watching over Luke on Tatooine..... we have a ready made villain for an Obi-wan movie. One with a background animosity already there.
    Surely they haven't set that up for no reason? It HAS to be for the Obi-wan flick.

    That story was resolved in Rebels, though. I doubt they'll mess with it or do a live action version of it. I hope not, anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    Drumpot wrote: »
    You haven’t seen Logan??? Jaesus Tony!!!

    It’s superb..... And it’s savagely bleak but just brilliant... I actually found it hard to watch at times... My suggestion is to watch Deadpool afterwards to pick you up!!

    I haven't seen loads of bloody things. I've a washing list of stuff to watch as long as your arm. I've unopened Blu rays on the shelf with their arms in the air going WTF man? Jesus, I'm not even watching the stuff I torrent these days. :rolleyes:

    If you're talking about the first 'Deadpool'. That's one relatively new MCU thing I have actually seen. I can't remember a single thing from it, except him getting it up the bum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09


    Also lads , Logan and Deadpool are not MCU films there made by Fox


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin




  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman



    This is great news!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk


    Would have liked for them to continue with the Obi-Wan project, at least. Ewan McGregor deserves it. Not really interested in anything else, including the Boba Fett movie.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman


    Relikk wrote: »
    Would have liked for them to continue with the Obi-Wan project, at least. Ewan McGregor deserves it. Not really interested in anything else, including the Boba Fett movie.

    The prequels were the Obi Wan story. McGregor has no interest in it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    Of course the May release date could have had something to do with Solo’s disappointing performance.

    Why is this bunkum continually repeated? Every Star Wars film apart from Diswars was released in May.

    May 25 1977
    May 21 1980
    May 25 1983
    May 19 1999
    May 16 2002
    May 17 2005

    The release date has bugger all to do with Solo's failure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda


    An Obi Wan spin off would be awful and it would make zero sense.

    The only untold part of his story is the part where he hid in cave for a decade.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear


    The whole bounty-hunters angle, space western thing is a good avenue to explore, I think. It doesn't have to be with any characters we've already met though. Maybe some minor part to sell it as a Star Wars film might be worth it from getting people in the door, but it doesn't need to be a story about Boba Fett.

    That said, I wouldn't mind if they did have a Boba Fett film.
    He was vaguely interesting in the animated series, but even leaving that to one side, just because he doesn't really have a character doesn't mean they can't give him one.

    It doesn't have to be some big budget rollicking space adventure. PG Django Unchained with aliens was more what I was thinking of.


Advertisement