Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

1235740

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    *plus all those fight & action sequences were totally out of place with the rest of the film..


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,770 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    david75 wrote: »
    They’re both just so lifeless and sullen and completely sealed off from an entry into it. Just never spoke to me at all. Completely joyless also. There’s nothing in either to enjoy apart from they occasionally look good. That’s really all. Sequel doesn’t have to worry about characters given they’re all so wooden and one note in the first one so hey let’s just do that again.
    My loss for not being able to enjoy them. Did try though.

    They're supposed to be.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi


    Tony EH wrote: »
    You're asking this of the man who destroyed his original classic films, made the prequel trilogy, and killed Star Wars for 10 years.

    George Lucas lost whatever mojo he once had. Handing Star Wars back to him is not the answer.

    Maybe, if he can be paired with someone that can temper his steel, like a Gary Kurtz, it might be worth a shot. He's a man that has fantastic ideas, no doubt. But, let's not forget, even when coupled with Spielberg, we ended up with 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'.

    I'm sorry to say. But, George Lucas is done.

    I was thinking more of just giving him a "one and done" movie that takes place away from the main storyline and characters. Just out of curiosity, of course. Just to see what he would do.

    I think the biggest problem with Lucas is exactly what you said. He messed around with the originals too much. Then, in the prequels, he totally botched the backstory of a lot of the iconic characters from the originals.

    I'm just wondering what he would do if he was given another chance and wasn't able to touch on things we've seen before.

    Generally, I think what we need is new Star Wars will all new characters while still retaining a respect for the lore around the force etc. So maybe not Lucas! It was just an idea.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer


    Lucas is a great world builder. Without being shackled by his bizarre insistence on forcing moronic and unnecessary links between almost every aspect of his OT with the PT, I'd be pretty open to seeing what he'd come up with, in a whole new, one-shot take.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,770 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH


    Saruhashi wrote: »
    I was thinking more of just giving him a "one and done" movie that takes place away from the main storyline and characters. Just out of curiosity, of course. Just to see what he would do.

    I think the biggest problem with Lucas is exactly what you said. He messed around with the originals too much. Then, in the prequels, he totally botched the backstory of a lot of the iconic characters from the originals.

    I'm just wondering what he would do if he was given another chance and wasn't able to touch on things we've seen before.

    Generally, I think what we need is new Star Wars will all new characters while still retaining a respect for the lore around the force etc. So maybe not Lucas! It was just an idea.
    Lucas is a great world builder. Without being shackled by his bizarre insistence on forcing moronic and unnecessary links between almost every aspect of his OT with the PT, I'd be pretty open to seeing what he'd come up with, in a whole new, one-shot take.

    I think a lot of folk would be open to it, but it would very much depend on who his partners were. When left to his own devices and given complete creative control, Lucas is a disaster. When working with good partners, he can turn out the likes of 'American Graffiti', 'THX-1138', the original Star Wars trilogy and the first two Indiana Jones films. All absolute gems.

    But, then, when the world is his oyster, we get the likes of the Star Wars prequels and 'Red Tails'.

    So, creatively the man is a minefield, to say the least. Especially where his magnum opus is concerned. He's done more to damage Star Wars than any other individual...and that's a pretty sad thing to say.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    He wrote those scripts for his Underworld series with a series of top writers and we know he doesn’t collaborate generally but he did with these. They were working on it right up to the sale to Disney. Kennedy said ‘they’re a goldmine’ of brilliant Star Wars ideas so they’ll either take elements out in later projects or they’ll make them.

    How much is GOT per episode? It’s ridiculous amounts right? They’ll spend at least that if it is to work. Star Wars on tv wouldn’t be cheap to make.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin


    Tony EH wrote: »
    I think a lot of folk would be open to it, but it would very much depend on who his partners were. When left to his own devices and given complete creative control, Lucas is a disaster. When working with good partners, he can turn out the likes of 'American Graffiti', 'THX-1138', the original Star Wars trilogy and the first two Indiana Jones films. All absolute gems.

    But, then, when the world is his oyster, we get the likes of the Star Wars prequels and 'Red Tails'.

    So, creatively the man is a minefield, to say the least. Especially where his magnum opus is concerned. He's done more to damage Star Wars than any other individual...and that's a pretty sad thing to say.

    This was one of the big problems with the prequels. He surrounded himself with yes men like Rick McCallum, who surely knew that if he kicked up any fuss during TPM he'd be off the series altogether so he just went along kissing ass, praising Lucas whenever he could.

    Given what he brought to the table originally, there is a big part of me that would love to see Lucas sign off his career on a creative high, preferably a Star Wars-related film or show. I just can't see it happening though.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    This is purely wishful thinking but I think George still has one in him. Just watch this and imagine Lucas told Guinness the whole story (he didn’t. We know. This is all acting no direction as we also know) but Guinness’ reactions just with his eyes are cut beautifully with the truth of what happened. He’s playing it like he knows what’s happened(retrospect on our part) This clip is basically Obi wan lying to Luke but also the truth ‘ from a certain point of view’.
    I think Lucas should be given one more go. Kenobi? I don’t know. But watch n see.



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    This is purely wishful thinking but I think George still has one in him. Just watch this and imagine Lucas told Guinness the whole story (he didn’t. We know. This is all acting no direction as we also know) but Guinness’ reactions just with his eyes are cut beautifully with the truth of what happened. He’s playing it like he knows what’s happened(retrospect on our part) This clip is basically Obi wan lying to Luke but also the truth ‘ from a certain point of view’.
    I think Lucas should be given one more go. Kenobi? I don’t know. But watch n see.


    The primary component in eliciting an emotional and powerful response in that clip comes from Max Richter's music. Yes, the editing is good (though, I dispute the use of Anakin walking with the Stormtroopers as that is an image Obi-Wan would not have seen), but George wouldn't have that kind of style or, dare I say, class. He can't do emotion.

    "I hate you!"
    "From my perspective the Jedi are evil"
    "Sand."
    "I, truly, deeply... etc."
    "Noooooo!"

    As someone previously mentioned, he is a world builder, a nerd, and he is very good at that, but if he does another film he needs to hire a decent screenwriter.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    Falthyron wrote: »
    The primary component in eliciting an emotional and powerful response in that clip comes from Max Richter's music. Yes, the editing is good (though, I dispute the use of Anakin walking with the Stormtroopers as that is an image Obi-Wan would not have seen), but George wouldn't have that kind of style or, dare I say, class. He can't do emotion.

    "I hate you!"
    "From my perspective the Jedi are evil"
    "Sand."
    "I, truly, deeply... etc."
    "Noooooo!"

    As someone previously mentioned, he is a world builder, a nerd, and he is very good at that, but if he does another film he needs to hire a decent screenwriter.

    Guinness’ performance plays the same way in the OT or if you mute the music on that clip. He’s clearly not telling this callow youth all he knows or is responsible for. He can’t. He’s been watching over him since birth from a close remove how do you drop that newsxon him without totally alienating him? ‘Not Ready for burden were you’ Yoda tells him in ROTJ. So he wasn even ready at that point?
    George I think could and probably is setting up to give it one more spin. Disney taking it out of the hands of all these upstart young blood directors and ‘restoring confidence’ by getting Papa back in. It’s probably just a one shot. Unless he’s overseeing the Underworld series. Who knows.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    Guinness’ performance plays the same way in the OT or if you mute the music on that clip. He’s clearly not telling this callow youth all he knows or is responsible for. He can’t. He’s been watching over him since birth from a close remove how do you drop that newsxon him without totally alienating him? ‘Not Ready for burden were you’ Yoda tells him in ROTJ. So he wasn even ready at that point?
    George I think could and probably is setting up to give it one more spin. Disney taking it out of the hands of all these upstart young blood directors and ‘restoring confidence’ by getting Papa back in. It’s probably just a one shot. Unless he’s overseeing the Underworld series. Who knows.

    Sorry to break it to you man, but George Lucas will never be allowed near the Star Wars franchise ever again. Unless the franchise is on its last legs and they need something to bring it back to life, or it has been completely milked (its on course for that), then, and maybe then, we might see Lucas back. 99.9% chance, he will never touch Star Wars again.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    Falthyron wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you man, but George Lucas will never be allowed near the Star Wars franchise ever again. Unless the franchise is on its last legs and they need something to bring it back to life, or it has been completely milked (its on course for that), then, and maybe then, we might see Lucas back. 99.9% chance, he will never touch Star Wars again.


    Possibly. I did start by saying wishful thinking. I do keep forgetting everyone on boards are powerful clairvoyants :)
    I’ll save this post just in case :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    Possibly. I did start by saying wishful thinking. I do keep forgetting everyone on boards are powerful clairvoyants :)
    I’ll save this post just in case :)

    Print it and frame it. :D


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    Falthyron wrote: »
    Print it and frame it. :D

    Done! :)

    Just so we’re clear.

    Lucas just happened to travel from San Francisco to visit Belfast for a holiday.
    And it has nothing to do with any of the several tv series and films Disney just announced.

    Right?
    Just so I’m sure


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    Done! :)

    Just so we’re clear.

    Lucas just happened to travel from San Francisco to visit Belfast for a holiday.
    And it has nothing to do with any of the several tv series and films Disney just announced.

    Right?
    Just so I’m sure

    I never said that. I have no idea why he visited Belfast. Maybe he wanted to see the Giant's Causeway? Maybe he likes sectarian murals? Maybe he was asked to give his expertise and advice to Benioff and Weiss on their up and coming Star Wars films. Who knows. But the man won't be behind the camera directing. He won't ever be in charge of a Star Wars project again. 100%. :D


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    Falthyron wrote: »
    I never said that. I have no idea why he visited Belfast. Maybe he wanted to see the Giant's Causeway? Maybe he likes sectarian murals? Maybe he was asked to give his expertise and advice to Benioff and Weiss on their up and coming Star Wars films. Who knows. But the man won't be behind the camera directing. He won't ever be in charge of a Star Wars project again. 100%. :D

    You should probably read back on your posts on the matter.
    But I appreciate the ongoing sureties you offer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    You should probably read back on your posts on the matter.
    But I appreciate the ongoing sureties you offer.

    :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster


    david75 wrote: »
    Done! :)

    Just so we’re clear.

    Lucas just happened to travel from San Francisco to visit Belfast for a holiday.
    And it has nothing to do with any of the several tv series and films Disney just announced.

    Right?
    Just so I’m sure

    I can't believe you're still banging on about this! My god you are deluded - get over it man, Lucas has no involvement with Star Wars anymore, hence why he sold it.

    He was on a trip to Belfast, so what.


  • Registered Users Posts: 60,004 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson


    George Lucas was in Belfast scouting locations for the making his version of The Sinking of The Titanic with Indy on board.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    I can't believe you're still banging on about this! My god you are deluded - get over it man, Lucas has no involvement with Star Wars anymore, hence why he sold it.

    He was on a trip to Belfast, so what.

    You’re so easily rattled. It’s cute and worrying.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster


    david75 wrote: »
    You’re so easily rattled. It’s cute and worrying.

    I view this thread with interest to see news on new SW projects and you're cluttering it up with continued multiple posts of pure sh!te which several users have debunked.

    You even posted an old video trying to prove your point out of desperation.

    Let it go and try to take a more considered approach with your posting, have a look at your feedback on TLJ thread....


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    I view this thread with interest to see news on new SW projects and you're cluttering it up with continued multiple posts of pure sh!te which several users have debunked.

    You even posted an old video trying to prove your point out of desperation.

    Let it go and try to take a more considered approach with your posting, have a look at your feedback on TLJ thread....


    Refer you to the thread title :)
    the TLJ and this thread has you coming at me personally. Just don’t read it if it bothers you so much :)

    Ps they don’t like back seat moderating.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster


    david75 wrote: »
    Refer you to the thread title :)
    the TLJ and this thread has you coming at me personally. Just don’t read it if it bothers you so much :)

    Ps they don’t like back seat moderating.

    a) it's hard not to read when you're cluttering up the thread with so many posts

    b) you speculated (which is fine), this was then debunked several times, and you then kept posting the same sh!te so that's a lot more than speculation that's just spam.

    c) you've already essentially been kicked off the TLJ thread so perhaps re-read this and take it on board:
    Mod note Ok enough of the griping, personal digs, and persecution complexes please. If you ever have an issue with a post, report it and we’ll take a look. Responding or crying victim will just result in an endless cycle of negativity. Wild generalisations or jibes about other groups of posters are equally never helpful.

    We will never discourage passionate posters, but do be aware this thread is disproportionately dominated by a small number of posters. There’s no questioning this is resulting in some long-running, inevitably repetitive arguments that are making the thread a bit uninviting and hostile at times. When things get heated or it seems like the debate is going around in circles, it’s worth stepping back, taking a breath, and maybe talking about something that isn’t Star Wars for a few days :)

    I'm not backseat modding I'm asking you to amend your posting style and content please as it just turns away other users, myself included - as an avid user and lover of this film forum I think im entitled to do that.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    a) it's hard not to read when you're cluttering up the thread with so many posts

    b) you speculated (which is fine), this was then debunked several times, and you then kept posting the same sh!te so that's a lot more than speculation that's just spam.

    c) you've already essentially been kicked off the TLJ thread so perhaps re-read this and take it on board:



    I'm not backseat modding I'm asking you to amend your posting style and content please as it just turns away other users, myself included - as an avid user and lover of this film forum I think im entitled to do that.


    Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up kid huh?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor


    That's enough. Take the bickering to pm please. And leave the modding to the mods, thanks.

    /mod


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    This one keeps popping up. Ive never seen Handmaids tale but those I know who have, love it. This lady, Reed Morano, would be a cool fit for a Star Wars series by all accounts.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/is-reed-morano-next-star-wars-director-1075060


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    This one keeps popping up. Ive never seen Handmaids tale but those I know who have, love it. This lady, Reed Morano, would be a cool fit for a Star Wars series by all accounts.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/is-reed-morano-next-star-wars-director-1075060

    She has already denied doing Star Wars. This happened a few days after reports of a meeting between her and Kennedy.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75


    Falthyron wrote: »
    She has already denied doing Star Wars. This happened a few days after reports of a meeting between her and Kennedy.

    Has she? Could she say either way? It’s not like she could say either way. My question was would she be a good pick as a director. She’s clearly talented.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron


    david75 wrote: »
    Has she? Could she say either way? It’s not like she could say either way. My question was would she be a good pick as a director. She’s clearly talented.

    I reckon they approached her in line with the same kind of conversation Kennedy would have had with Benioff and Weiss. Maybe Kennedy asked her to do one of their trilogy? Maybe she suggested the trilogy to her first and she turned it down? Maybe she was asked to lead a Star Wars TV show? Who knows.

    Whatever the nature of the conversation, she won't be allowed to comment on what was discussed. All that we have to go on is that she turned down whatever was on offer. Tbf, The Handmaid's Tale has a lot more potential than what Star Wars can offer. Its a full time job, award winning series based on a great book. Star Wars can be a poisoned chalice; just look at the treatment of women in the new films so far, can you imagine the level of abuse a female director might get if she doesn't pull off a great film? Not worth it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭tigger123


    I think if you are a woman working in the industry you'd definilty think twice before taking any kind of job on Star Wars. It's a real pity.


Advertisement