Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

david75 wrote: »
    The internet is a public toilet. YouTube is the outer rim of the dirtiest toilet in there and every single germ on that toilet is screaming his opinion into a void.
    I avoid YouTube at all costs. Give me some credit.
    I despair at people posting YouTube videos simply because it agrees with their opinion. Either for or against. It's horrific and best ignored for health and sanity.

That reductionism is applicable to any medium, why specify the Internet for particular vitriol? There are plenty of thoughtful, creative, professionally published videos and channels on YouTube, if you're willing to look for them. Not least on the subject of film, for starters.

Yeh there's a lot of junk, pop culture fawning etc (and yeah, there is a LOT) but hey, walk through a bookstore and get back to me about the percentage of tat vs. stuff worth ones time. YouTube definitely has an image problem and you're proving it, but there are plenty of channels worth anyone's time -on any manner of subjects that might interest a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

I don't think it's the channels or published videos Dave is on about, more the comment sections. That whole area of youtube is a cortisol inducing, stress seeking, aggro infested lair of a total waste of time.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I know it’s not particular to the Star Wars sphere but there are lads out there on YouTube with millions of followers down the number through to hundreds of thousands of followers, and they’re all talking complete boll*x and making money off it.

Worse yet, their nonsense gets reported as fact by the likes of the daily mail.

That’s who I was talking about.

Don’t even get me started in the comment sections.
    That’s exactly why YouTube is best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney did the reval today on what will go on the streaming site...

All R-rated stuff will go on Hulu not the Disney streaming site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Greyfox wrote: »
    The world's best tv writers working in a universe with endless possibilities, this will be wonderful news when someone resurrects this thread in about 4-6 years

Once GOT departed from the book material it went downhill like a freight train (still seriously entertaining granted), I'd say they're good at what they do in general in crafting, adapting and producing shows, but the world's best writers is way off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sith origin series of films would be good for them to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Hopefully their films will be used retcon TFA & TLJ and Disney can then go and expunge all records of those awful messes!
    Perhaps a Bobby Ewing type dream sequence

The two GOT lads have given a very specific time and era to work in according to Iger.
    That could only be Knights of the old republic.
    There’s a never ending campaign for that era to make it to screen somehow. A tv series of series of films in that era seems right out of their toolbox.

Well that’s a bit weird

Disney Streaming Service Details Surface; No R-Rated Content or Netflix Marvel Shows

http://collider.com/disney-streaming-service-details/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Would be nice if they were let off the hook to do an 18/R rated Star Wars.

"Sorry about the mess......" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

$1.3 billion is not a drubbing. In any universe.

That's box office, not public reaction.

The two don't coincide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Tony EH wrote: »

The two don't coincide.

Do film companies use public reaction as a metric in measuring success though? From their perspective it's a success, no?

The two don't coincide.

A great many more people enjoyed the last Jedi than didn’t. Those that didn’t have just been more vocal. Everywhere. A lot more vocal. Getting abused and shouted down for enjoying a film would turn anyone off wanting to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Once GOT departed from the book material it went downhill like a freight train (still seriously entertaining granted), I'd say they're good at what they do in general in crafting, adapting and producing shows, but the world's best writers is way off the mark.

I disagree, other than a pacing issue its the same quality. Some of the best written scenes in GOT are things that are not in the books, examples been Cersei/Robert scene in S1, Arya/Tywin scene in S2, the writing here is better than or at least on a par with the best of the wire and B bad.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Do film companies use public reaction as a metric in measuring success though? From their perspective it's a success, no?

Yes, they do.

Just because people paid for a ticket to a film, it doesn't mean they enjoyed it.

Film companies are very focused on audience reaction and opinion. They know their market relies on good feedback.

With the likes of a franchise, it's a long game. These are not just one and done films.

A great many more people enjoyed the last Jedi than didn’t. Those that didn’t have just been more vocal. Everywhere. A lot more vocal. Getting abused and shouted down for enjoying a film would turn anyone off wanting to talk about it.

"Vocal" matters. But what matters more is the consistency in the content of the vocals.

Across different types of people from different backgrounds, there's been a definite consistency to the complaints that are being made against 'The Last Jedi'. Disney would remain ignorant of those complaints to their detriment.

Smug talk of ticket sales is useless in the face of a growing dissatisfaction from a fan base who have sustained a franchise for decades.

As for "Getting abused and shouted down for enjoying a film", the situation is quite the opposite and you know it. People have criticised Disney, Kennedy, Johnson etc for problems with their film and their choices. Whereas, the defenders have usually resorted to attacking the naysayers as racists, sexists and just all round bad people.

For not liking a Star Wars film.

"Vocal" matters. But what matters more is the consistency in the content of the vocals.

Across different types of people from different backgrounds, there's been a definite consistency to the complaints that are being made against 'The Last Jedi'. Disney would remain ignorant of those complaints to their detriment.

Smug talk of ticket sales is useless in the face of a growing dissatisfaction from a fan base who have sustained a franchise for decades.

As for "Getting abused and shouted down for enjoying a film", the situation is quite the opposite and you know it. People have criticised Disney, Kennedy, Johnson etc for problems with their film and their choices. Whereas, the defenders have usually resorted to attacking the naysayers as racists, sexists and just all round bad people.

For not liking a Star Wars film.

Tony the most vocal and consistently vocal of all those who didn’t like the last Jedi were making death threats against Rian Johnson and sending the Asian girl racial abuse. *and they still are* that is in no way at all to suggest anyone who hated the film is in that gang but that’s the face of it and it’s unfair. But are you saying people who didn’t like it are somehow not consistently still going on about it and attacking people? I can show you posts..

Report only today that they have actually hired notable women and people of colour to write and direct these upcoming films but they aren’t announcing simply because of the racial and disgusting abuse Rian Johnson etc got and he’s white.

Nobody has the true god seat on the last Jedi either side but the constant running someone down cos they like it (on this forum, more than anywhere apart from twitter) is something I’ve experienced in countless posts and otherwise. You liked that sh!t? You’re a fvckin mindless goon. Etc ad infinitum almost.

Don’t dismiss that. Suddenly we’re wrong and getting attacked for liking new Star Wars by people who seem to have hated it yet have nothing else to do but attack us cos they didn’t. If they didn’t like it, just don’t give it money time or attention.
    The guy on the Internet didn’t make the film. Stop projecting the butthurt and blame onto him cos he liked it.

Your last statement...Orwellian tbh..wo Star Wars fans who liked the films are the bad guys for liking it and not allowng you sh!t all over, everything. Jesus.

Is all.

*6can post. Lucky you.

Tony the most vocal and consistently vocal of all those who didn’t like the last Jedi were making death threats against Rian Johnson and sending the Asian girl racial abuse.

That's not true.

Those idiots are an EXTREME minority.

I'm talking about fans who have expressed their dissatisfaction about a Star Wars film or elements within, not internet clowns who want to talk shit.

That genuine dissatisfaction has been voiced pretty consistently on the sites and in RL conversations that I'd seen and had.

Don't conflate the most extreme with the most vocal.

That's not true.

Those idiots are an EXTREME minority.

I'm talking about fans who have expressed their dissatisfaction about a Star Wars film or elements within, not internet clowns who want to talk shit.

That genuine dissatisfaction has been voiced pretty consistently on the sites and in RL conversations that I'd seen and had.

Don't conflate the most extreme with the most vocal.

I made a whole post addressing this, you’re being selective at best in response.

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    There will be too much Star Wars eventually and will just become hated.

/me checks watch.

That time is soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Surrender Tony. Give into the darkside and recite after me: "Everything is awesome". :pac:

Falthyron wrote: »
    Surrender Tony. Give into the darkside and recite after me: "Everything is awesome". :pac:

If only everything was awesome... :(

I made a whole post addressing this, you’re being selective at best in response.

No David, you went off on your own tangent.

I am specifically talking about people in level headed discussion, talking about why they didn't like 'The Last Jedi', or parts thereof.

I don't give a damn (and neither does anyone else) about a tiny minority of edge lords who populate YouTube comments sections and write hardshaw tweets containing empty threats to directors of movies, or derogatory statements about actresses who have different shaped eyes.

Those types of fools don't deserve any focus and any reasonable discussion platform weeds them out pretty fast.

Anyway, we're off topic here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Question: do we need separate threads for these films? Or would a single "Star Wars franchise" megathread work better? There are several SW threads on the first page of the forum right now in which the same people are having pretty much the same discussion. Like, I started this thread thinking people would have some strong opinions on the GOT writers but (tellingly perhaps) nobody has much to say about them and would rather just re-post their thoughts on the Disney movies to date. At the very least it seems to me that this thread was probably a mistake and should be locked. Thoughts?

I think keep them separate Prof. One big mess will be...well, one big mess. There'll be too many people talking over each other about the different films, I reckon.

On the separate threads, there's bound to be some overlap though.

As for thoughts on GOT producers, it's kind of too early to tell and given how people have come and gone in Disney's Star Wars, chances are they could be chucked in 6 months. :pac:

At the moment, it's relatively good news to me anyway.

Says it all that they had to do this

Lucasfilm Reportedly Hired Women And People Of Color In Secret for “Star Wars”
    https://www.tvovermind.com/entertainment-news/lucasfilm-reportedly-hired-women-people-color-secret-star-wars

I think keep them separate Prof. One big mess will be...well, one big mess. There'll be too many people talking over each other about the different films, I reckon.

On the separate threads, there's bound to be some overlap though.

As for thoughts on GOT producers, it's kind of too early to tell and given how people have come and gone in Disney's Star Wars, chances are they could be chucked in 6 months. :pac:

At the moment, it's relatively good news to me anyway.

Their appointment raises further questions with regards to their post-GoT plans. Late last year it was announced that Weiss and Benioff were going to be making their new show called 'Confederate', set in an alternate timeline where slavery still exists, iirc. This was their next big thing. It received quite a backlash from various groups. Is this still going ahead? If so, does that mean they are only writing their Star Wars films, not directing? If 'Confederate' has been cancelled or postponed because of the controversy, will they drop Star Wars if the first film in their proposed trilogy receives a similar backlash?

GoT was a monumental task, but when the source material is already popular and a success, and if you don't deviate from it too much, while having access to a decent budget, they were always going to get more right than wrong. The lack of source material in the last season has shown their struggles to keep the ship afloat. Perhaps they will be doing The Old Republic and will use the games and novels to build a new world with great characters like Revan and Malak. Fingers crossed, but its Disney. I don't have much hope for a dark and adult treatment of the Star Wars franchise.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Their appointment raises further questions with regards to their post-GoT plans. Late last year it was announced that Weiss and Benioff were going to be making their new show called 'Confederate', set in an alternate timeline where slavery still exists, iirc. This was their next big thing. It received quite a backlash from various groups. Is this still going ahead? If so, does that mean they are only writing their Star Wars films, not directing? If 'Confederate' has been cancelled or postponed because of the controversy, will they drop Star Wars if the first film in their proposed trilogy receives a similar backlash?

GoT was a monumental task, but when the source material is already popular and a success, and if you don't deviate from it too much, while having access to a decent budget, they were always going to get more right than wrong. The lack of source material in the last season has shown their struggles to keep the ship afloat. Perhaps they will be doing The Old Republic and will use the games and novels to build a new world with great characters like Revan and Malak. Fingers crossed, but its Disney. I don't have much hope for a dark and adult treatment of the Star Wars franchise.

Haven't heard of 'Confederate', but it sounds awful.

However, I thought that they were working on 'Game of Thrones' spin offs?

In any case, these are just ideas and ideas can be dropped.

Why I am kindly disposed, at present, to their involvement in Star Wars is that they have proven that they can help develop live action characters that are multi-layered, have genuine reasons for being who they are and what they do, which is sorely missing in the sequels.

Sure, they had good source - I never read them - but it takes effort to translate that to a screen as well.

I don't think Star Wars has to go quite into the darker or more adult areas that 'Game of Thrones' did - and frankly a lot of that was done for pure titillation purposes only, it was 'Game of Tits' for a while - but if they can inject some characterisation into the mix that makes sense and is worth bothering with, it'll be a step forward over the sequels, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Question: do we need separate threads for these films? Or would a single "Star Wars franchise" megathread work better? There are several SW threads on the first page of the forum right now in which the same people are having pretty much the same discussion. Like, I started this thread thinking people would have some strong opinions on the GOT writers but (tellingly perhaps) nobody has much to say about them and would rather just re-post their thoughts on the Disney movies to date. At the very least it seems to me that this thread was probably a mistake and should be locked. Thoughts?

I’d say transform this into a ‘future Star Wars films’ thread. Then dedicated threads when there’s enough substance to actually talk about.

• Advertisement

Haven't heard of 'Confederate', but it sounds awful.

However, I thought that they were working on 'Game of Thrones' spin offs?

In any case, these are just ideas and ideas can be dropped.

Why I am kindly disposed, at present, to their involvement in Star Wars is that they have proven that they can help develop live action characters that are multi-layered, have genuine reasons for being who they are and what they do, which is sorely missing in the sequels.

Sure, they had good source - I never read them - but it takes effort to translate that to a screen as well.

I don't think Star Wars has to go quite into the darker or more adult areas that 'Game of Thrones' did - and frankly a lot of that was done for pure titillation purposes only, it was 'Game of Tits' for a while - but if they can inject some characterisation into the mix that makes sense and is worth bothering with, it'll be a step forward over the sequels, that's for sure.

Confederate is a green-lit show from HBO with Benioff and Weiss as showrunners. Weiss and Benioff deserve credit for their work on GoT, but quite a lot of it is lifted directly from the books and that certainly has helped with establishing the show as a success. IIRC, there is only one scene that takes place in Season One that is different to the book - where Jon Snow takes his vows for the Nights Watch. In the book he goes to a weirwood and swears before one, where as in the show he takes his oath with his other brothers in the courtyard. Apart from that, the book is almost word for word translated on to screen for Season One.

Link here: https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/hbo-announces-confederate-a-new-drama-series-created-by-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-31e5d4e705bb

It doesn't have to go darker than GoT or strive towards that level, but something a bit deeper would be nice. Proper characterisation, time invested in developing the main characters at least, and a really interesting period in time would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement