Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Acolyte trailer drops tomorrow.

Series starts June 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Really cool teaser image, but unless it gets wildly positive reviews, I'll be staying well clear of this. The past couple of Star Wars projects were rough, to say the least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Andor increasingly feels like the exception that proves the rule; and about the only project with a degree of maturity and competence behind the wheel. Couple that with my most hated aspect of the SW universe - the po-faced Jedi - and it'll take a hum-dinger of a trailer + some trusted, positive reviews before I take a punt on this.

If it's just another series of emotionally constipated Jedi standing in a room with a Volume-powered background, then ... ehhhhhh. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm almost sure I've read that they'll be use the volume on this one too, but with some location shooting as well.

The creation of the volume has been both a blessing and a curse. I appreciate how great it's been for excellently integrating people into incredible CGI sets (which often don't look like sets at all). But then it can also make a lot of shots feel quite clostriphobic and lacking in dramatic scope, with characters all huddled quite close together in the scene because of the physical limitation of space inside the stage.

Clearly it makes a huge difference how the scenes are directed and blocked. Directors either have to get used to the tech and play to it's strengths, or try and limit it's use where possible (still hard to beat actual physical sets and proper location shooting!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, agreed: presumably you gotta limit the camera angles, keeping them flat and straight, or else you run the risk of the backdrops looking more obviously like a 2D screen. Equally, I presume the flat lighting is because you can't have spotlights etc. throwing light onto those LED screens either.

When used smartly it has looked fabulous - this fight I believe was done used Volume - yet instead it has become a bit of a crutch; witness a huge portion of Season 3 of Mandalorian with its drab, flat looking scenes on the Planet of the Bucketheads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Carrie Ann Moss bringing some Matrix vibes there...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm excited to see some Star Wars that can't be hijacked by cartoon characters.

Yup, this is gonna have to wait for some review 'cos just not seeing enough to make me in the slightest bit interested, for all the reasons mentioned. It's a good idea to set the thing way back in the past, so that it at least gives the story a bit of creative license, but blergh, 'effin Jedis man.

And it's such a silly small thing but the fact Obi-Wan's then obviously desert-hobo clothes from Episode IV are now the de'facto Jedi uniform is just ... again. Blergh. Even their clothes are drab and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh dear this looks like more of the same crap.

Was wondering why there were so many female characters and then I remembered who the director was.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Looks terrible - like all the other Star Wars Disney has churned out recently, with the exception of Andor (which didn’t use the volume I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Acolyte didnt use The Volume

While speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, showrunner Leslye Headland opened up about the new Star Wars series, which had its first trailer debut today. Headland confirmed that her new series, which was shot mainly in the UK, wouldn’t be utilizing the Volume. “We did a lot of our [filming] practically in London,” Headland noted. “We didn’t use the Volume at all, so it was a lot of prepping for the show.”

Still think it will be terrible though.

Advertisement