Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Has the cycle track extension helped much with the schools traffic. The obvious ample parking around Athlone Town Stadium and 2 minute walk for the kids from there, allowing the folks back onto the bypass seems to be a winner in theory. That said ive not drove by other side at rush hour in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Here's where the problem is:
    ...2 minute walk for the kids from there

Kids getting ferried to school aren't gonna walk when they can be chauffeur driven to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Was like a ghost town this morning at 8:20 .
    Some difference in the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

I believe the school busses plan to use Athlone Town Stadium car park to pick up /drop off for 3 secondary schools in near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Has the cycle track extension helped much with the schools traffic. The obvious ample parking around Athlone Town Stadium and 2 minute walk for the kids from there, allowing the folks back onto the bypass seems to be a winner in theory. That said ive not drove by other side at rush hour in ages

is the marist accessible from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone explain the traffic light strategy that is in place at Junction 10 Eastwards exit on the Athlone bypass as it heads left towards Ballymahon and the lights immediately afterwards left to Clonbrusk and right to Cloghanboy Avenue, and just before the next set of lights controlling the junction at Croghan's SuperValu?

In my lifetime, I have probably driven a million or more miles, in USA/Canada and across Europe.

I cannot recall a less co-ordinated set of junctions with such a terrible set of driver obstacles that appear to have been deliberately put in place.

THEIR SEQUENCING IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

Those allegedly in authority (who are earning an income off my residency of Athlone and the thousands of others like me), please study it and sort it out!

Short answer, someone in traffic management had shares in a traffic light company and installed as many sets as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Blanco100 wrote: »
    is the marist accessible from there?

Yes, West along the Greenway, past the old Athlone Town pitch and in the back gate, but it is full kilometer, not 2 minutes walk. And the back gate is locked until someone opens it in the morning.

500m to the tech, 800m to the Bower.

Yes, West along the Greenway, past the old Athlone Town pitch and in the back gate, but it is full kilometer, not 2 minutes walk. And the back gate is locked until someone opens it in the morning.

500m to the tech, 800m to the Bower.

Aye the schools are all bordered by the 2 tracks. In the case of the Marist and Bower, its the live track that little feet arent allowed on.

Still, the tech has the lions share of students - you'd think it would help traffic being so close to the greenway and bypass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the traffic light strategy that is in place at Junction 10 Eastwards exit on the Athlone bypass as it heads left towards Ballymahon and the lights immediately afterwards left to Clonbrusk and right to Cloghanboy Avenue, and just before the next set of lights controlling the junction at Croghan's SuperValu?

In my lifetime, I have probably driven a million or more miles, in USA/Canada and across Europe.

I cannot recall a less co-ordinated set of junctions with such a terrible set of driver obstacles that appear to have been deliberately put in place.

THEIR SEQUENCING IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

Those allegedly in authority (who are earning an income off my residency of Athlone and the thousands of others like me), please study it and sort it out!
    Ah it's not that bad at all, I drive it twice a day and apart from a few glitches particularly early on they do a good job.

• Advertisement

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Ah it's not that bad at all, I drive it twice a day and apart from a few glitches particularly early on they do a good job.
    Three sets of lights in close proximety, what can go wrong!
    They're hopeless during peak periods, they should have used mini roundabouts for the two minor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

I'm on the 3oclock train departing galway for Dublin and I'm getting off in Athlone.The train is wedged,people are having to stand after paying big money for a seat.It was the same last thursday as well with people having to stand.Surely this is unfair and unsafe.An extra carriage on the train would solve the problem.Has anyone else experienced this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'm on the 3oclock train departing galway for Dublin and I'm getting off in Athlone.The train is wedged,people are having to stand after paying big money for a seat.It was the same last thursday as well with people having to stand.Surely this is unfair and unsafe.An extra carriage on the train would solve the problem.Has anyone else experienced this ?

Not sure what this has to do with Athlone.....

Not sure what this has to do with Athlone.....

It's the train to Athlone used by loads of Athlonians

I see boxer is still out keeping people informed of rising floodwater on social media in real time, while sorca Clark is taking out "go raibh mile" adds in athlone advertiser.

rn wrote: »
    I see boxer is still out keeping people informed of rising floodwater on social media in real time, while sorca Clark is taking out "go raibh mile" adds in athlone advertiser.

Expected nothing less.

Good man Boxer. A worker.

Fairness im quite sure that most elected in SF midlands are simple foot soldiers and quota fillers who won't be making much noise themselves. Similar to McFadden in FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's the train to Athlone used by loads of Athlonians

And used by a lot more people during mid term.

If your train is or can be full, either book a seat or arrive 20 minutes before departure.

Its what i do every evening. 4.50 arriving, 5.10 departure. The train ends up packed but i'm already sitting, headphones on, doing work on laptop so don't need to hear the god-awful as-gaeilge announcements or commuter/weirdo moans.

The early bird catches the worm.

Town floods just after Mr Flood gets kicked out. No luck at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Town floods just after Mr Flood gets kicked out. No luck at all

I’d say he’s raging it didn’t happen 4 weeks ago.

Suppose the only good thing is he's still minister during the clusteromnishambles going on in Dail Eireann at the moment and he'll remain in the job for duration of this event.

Meanwhile Robert troy is busy telephoning people in the council from the relative safety of mullingar, Dublin or anywhere except Athlone. Some leadership there...

rn wrote: »
    Suppose the only good thing is he's still minister during the clusteromnishambles going on in Dail Eireann at the moment and he'll remain in the job for duration of this event.

Meanwhile Robert troy is busy telephoning people in the council from the relative safety of mullingar, Dublin or anywhere except Athlone. Some leadership there...

Troys loyalties are to his commuters in Mullingar - kept seeing his ad on the M4 express bus. I doubt he knows directions to Athlone.

No sign of any of these gowls creating constituency offices or clinics in Athlone either. Town to goto sh1te till the next election.

Troys loyalties are to his commuters in Mullingar - kept seeing his ad on the M4 express bus. I doubt he knows directions to Athlone.

No sign of any of these gowls creating constituency offices or clinics in Athlone either. Town to goto sh1te till the next election.
    Robert Troy has a constituency office in Athlone beside Carey's pub .

Town to goto sh1te till the next election.

The idea that Boxer Moran was the making of Athlone is a joke. He got money spent on flood defences, which are not finished for this flood. Many breakfast rolls sold to lads in hi viz. Not exactly a huge boost to the economy.

The idea that Boxer Moran was the making of Athlone is a joke. He got money spent on flood defences, which are not finished for this flood. Many breakfast rolls sold to lads in hi viz. Not exactly a huge boost to the economy.

Actually he is also actively making cosmetic improvements to the town e.g approach roads, roundabouts, amenities, pushed for fast-tracking the cycle track extension and regularly uses his Saturdays with his sons to tidy up residential areas around the town.

Regardless of the opinions on Boxer, having zero TDs for a town this large is a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Actually he is also actively making cosmetic improvements to the town e.g approach roads, roundabouts, amenities, pushed for fast-tracking the cycle track extension and regularly uses his Saturdays with his sons to tidy up residential areas around the town.

Regardless of the opinions on Boxer, having zero TDs for a town this large is a bad thing.

Ah cop yourself on coming on here spouting facts dont you know the thing to do now is bash boxer and praise that sinn fein yoke that wont do a tap for the place

regularly uses his Saturdays with his sons to tidy up residential areas around the town.

This is true - elected as a member of our legislative body and appointed a government minister, he is often to be seen in a hi viz picking up litter.

No feckin idea that he is no longer just a town councillor. Well, he'll no longer be a TD either shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ah cop yourself on coming on here spouting facts dont you know the thing to do now is bash boxer and praise that sinn fein yoke that wont do a tap for the place

She has been elected to the national legislator, part of the problem is parish pump politics. Let local councillors do what they are paid for.

This is true - elected as a member of our legislative body and appointed a government minister, he is often to be seen in a hi viz picking up litter.

No feckin idea that he is no longer just a town councillor. Well, he'll no longer be a TD either shortly.

When he was a councillor he looked for government funding repeatedly but fell on deaf ears. Now that he has some power, he's putting it to good use.

No idea what your issue is with someone helping make an area clean and nicer to live in. I'm the first to admit that I don't get involved, but more power to anyone who does. Shows that the notions of the bigger job never got to him. Hopefully his young lad follows on from his good job.

He might be better suited to local council than the Dail but there is no denying the trojan work he puts in. Absolutely breaking his boll*x for the people effected with the flooding in the locality these past days/weeks. Never got the hump over the pathetic lack of support he got from the town in the recent election. Fair play to him.

Hopefully he gets a nice warm shower somewhere soon.

https://twitter.com/kevinboxermoran/status/1232982769778774016

• Advertisement

Word from Wolfe Tone terrace - they complained that the Shannon Barrier created to save them from flooding was not glass/seethrough.

"It blocks our view of the River"

See it plenty if they take it down and it enters your kitchen love. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I read the bauld Boxer calling for pay allowances for army to be increased now due to all the work they are doing during the floods. If he had supported them before then I have no doubt that he'd have been elected again

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I read the bauld Boxer calling for pay allowances for army to be increased now due to all the work they are doing during the floods. If he had supported them before then I have no doubt that he'd have been elected again

Maybe he suspects there will be a return to the polls soon.

He's ex army AFAIK so will obviously back them up to the hilt

He's ex army AFAIK so will obviously back them up to the hilt

He went MIA when a vote was called to address Army pay and allowances.

He went MIA when a vote was called to address Army pay and allowances.

Id imagine being in gov means you have to vote for some stuff you don't like to stay in power. Likely got concessions as a result.

Lucky for us no wars occurred during this time

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Word from Wolfe Tone terrace - they complained that the Shannon Barrier created to save them from flooding was not glass/seethrough.

"It blocks our view of the River"

See it plenty if they take it down and it enters your kitchen love. :eek:

Not all the residents, a minority.

Is their something going on in town.?? I'm meeting a lot of loud boisterous people wearing jerseys with paint on their faces on church street and in the Athlone Town centre. Seems strange.

Is their something going on in town.?? I'm meeting a lot of loud boisterous people wearing jerseys with paint on their faces on church street and in the Athlone Town centre. Seems strange.

What time did you see them in town at? Marist are playing a Leinster Semi Final today but thats throwing in now in Kinnegad afaik.

What time did you see them in town at? Marist are playing a Leinster Semi Final today but thats throwing in now in Kinnegad afaik.

About 12.30 to 1pm.they all looked about 18 or so, male and female and very loud and noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rag week?

Rag week?

That was a couple of weeks back.

Some IRadio style promotion maybe. Or students union elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Schools game. The Jes from Galway are playing in Athlone today

Anybody know what this new development around Golden island will be? There was mention of something on Westmeath independent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anybody know what this new development around Golden island will be? There was mention of something on Westmeath independent

That's want to fix the flooding issues for the land at the back of Golden Island first, I'm sure. I would assume that's where any large scale development would take place.

Demolish the Diskin complex and build new shops and offices there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Demolish the Diskin complex and build new shops and offices there.

I heard something about that around about a year or 2 ago. I wonder will they assist in relocating the businesses that currently occupy the centre?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I heard something about that around about a year or 2 ago. I wonder will they assist in relocating the businesses that currently occupy the centre?

It is an awful eye sore in fairness in this day and age and theres a fair bit of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I understand Mr Price may move their retail unit to their warehouse. Talks of a retail park going in on the Diskin Centre. With so much empty retail units over in Monksland you would wonder about the logic. Time will tell. Another issue would be traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

I hear Inglot makeup has closed shop in the town centre

Advertisement