Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

7c in Cork and 4.4mm rain.

Good old May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Trying to get anywhere is a nightmare with the amount of drivers that seem to have forgotten basic rules of the road grrrrr

Heavy rain in Waterford and Dunmore East but nothing else

Dark clouds spilling in here near Arklow at the moment
    I'd say the sferics are gone though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

A few shots of the showery skies in North Kildare this afternoon:

The second two videos were supposed to be one longer video but I lost connection with the drone and the recording stopped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 npokilkenny

Some very heavy rain in North Kilkenny (near Tullaroan) this afternoon.
    Followed by some very impressive lightning

Not often you can see it so clearly during the day light hours

Since around 6.30pm there is a much fresher feel to the weather and the sun has made a reappearance.

Edit; looking east towards Castlecomer/Athy area there still seems to be allot of very tall cloud tops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice line of convection producing thunderstorms along the Southern coasts today with convergence very much in effect I would reckon , decent surface temperatures and cold upper pool with good lapse rate as the trough made progress across the South of the country. Heard there was very heavy rain near Killarney but only a light shower over near Tralee.

UrDZw2x.png

H39YZgR.png

pN98lJ3.png

qUtEzex.png

MciJGYQ.png

Funnell just outside Tralee near Camp on the Dingle Rd. this morning.

https://twitter.com/MartinO50713693/status/1394219577576509442?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Has the look of having widespread similar type thunderstorms tomorrow, short lived pulse type storms but the uppers are that bit colder then of late with a bit more Deep layer shear although not as warm as it was along the S today. Again convergence zones and sea breezes and orographic lift coming into effect.

Scattered thunderstorms could break out in areas away from the Western coastal areas and look to peak in the Eastern half of the country in the afternoon and again along S and SE coasts I reckon.

fzf9m2O.png

i9gljQX.png

irD63dp.png

VZMhPPn.png

RN8aHgM.png

KIflkYu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Some impressive looking dark cumulonimbus clouds looking out my window in Dublin 16. Most likely no thunderstorms tonight but maybe tomorrow will be the day for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And here's Knock airport, with the weather station enclosure that greener part of that square grass area in the centre of the picture, just to the right of that building with the light blue roof. The airport is closed for a few days, so all hourly reports are automated, with no weather or cloud data.

51185892028_6d98abc654_b.jpg

51185891943_6166f879b7_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Met Éireann showing higher temperatures than I thought for the East tomorrow, will be interesting to see if the convection kicks off in the afternoon.

A not too insignificant rotating lowering/funnel passed directly over me at home late this evening in North Kildare. I was positioned at the south west end of a hefty shower, just about away from its rain core. I'd estimate the bottom of the funnel like feature was somewhere between 50m and 100m above ground level. Was very interesting to. Did a very quick timelapse of it with my phone as it passed. Apologies for the big change in exposure level in the video, was trying to darken the scene a little but the phone went overboard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Great captures!

Big convection brewing here in Tralee, slowly moving inland, bit of heat off the sun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

ME mentioning hail and lightning in their latest update at 10:21 for this evening in the midlands, east and southeast. We shall see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Waterford
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thundery showers with the risk of lightning and local hail.

Valid: 14:00 Tuesday 18/05/2021 to 20:00 Tuesday 18/05/2021

Issued: 11:32 Tuesday 18/05/2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some lovely deep blue skies here in Castlebar with towering clouds building and moving east.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Some cauliflower heads beginning to form in dungarvan area

• Advertisement

Anvil developing to west direction lismore & mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

The sky in North offaly is getting very strange looking

Thunder heard one minute ago in North kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Hillwalking in west Mayo at the moment. It's beautiful here with a cold wind, but bigger clouds visible in the distance to the east (see below)

553426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Looks very dark to the east of cork city at the moment

Rumbles continuing to my west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder heard in Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ominous clouds building, waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Rumble heard D4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

highdef wrote: »
    Thunder heard one minute ago in North kildare

Kildare isn't even on met eireanns yellow warning

Plenty of sparks showing up across the east now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My view right now from Sutton, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

We had a heavy shower with pea sized hail in Dublin 9 and a rumble of thunder. The rain is light now.

A few flashes and bangs in dungarvan, about to bucket down⛈💦💧

thomasj wrote: »
    Kildare isn't even on met eireanns yellow warning

I may be in Kildare but near the Meath border and the storm has just about kept on the Meath side of the border throughout....barely a drop a rain here on the Kildare side but a great view of the storm.

Despite constant thunder for about 20 minutes, I didn't see one flash. Going by the sound of the thunder, it all appeared to be intercloud and very high up, from my viewpoint anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at webcam of DunLaoghaire Harbour and it looks like some serious hail falling there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at webcam of DunLaoghaire Harbour and it looks like some serious hail falling there?
    Certainly some hail mixed with the rain ~1.5 miles away

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Active cell to the West of Dungarvan giving plenty of sferics on the radar.
    Could be an active afternoon by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Lights flickering on the Waterford/Kilkenny border. Rain has started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

About 30 mins in North County Dublin ,Balbriggan area, a nice bright flash followed by 2 sets of Thunder followed by a biblical downpour.

Bolts coming down all around, two hit field right in front of me

• Advertisement

Thats some storm in the Dungarvan area

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Distant rumbles audible in Bray at 1432hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Re blitzortung.org: When there's a strike in one location the usual white cross appears, but now also a set of smaller green dots at seemingly random distances, connected briefly to the strike location by white lines. Anyone know that this new feature represents? (A quick Google hasn't helped)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Re blitzortung.org: When there's a strike in one location the usual white cross appears, but now also a set of smaller green dots at seemingly random distances, connected briefly to the strike location by white lines. Anyone know that this new feature represents? (A quick Google hasn't helped)

They are the detector locations and the lines show which detectors are picking up (and triangulating) the strike location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Distant thunder. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Not so distant now. Loud Thunder and hail. Meath

The Meath thunderstorm, despite generating copious amounts of intercloud lightning, didn't look that severe on the timelapse video I took:

And a quick look at it at normal speed before I did the timelapse, with a hunting sparrowhawk seen too:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Sunny in Dublin 22 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Constant thunder in Kildare now with one flash seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭gipi

Distant rumbles in North Drogheda over the past 20 minutes, dark as night too. Haven't seen any flashes. There was a torrential rain and hail shower about 1.45pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement