Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like Orographic lift played it's part giving Donegal the most strikes recorded and powered up the storms as they went offshore. Hope Donegal Ken got some god pics and video.

Gif shows the showers increasing in size as they headed N. A few showers around Tralee today, had to wait in the car during one heavy one in town but only a few drops out my way. On to tomorrows potential.

c402yhm.png

Dd2tK9j.gif

From today in Donegal I take it.

https://twitter.com/Sinead_od1/status/1391392708489404416?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was thinking that tomorrow there could be more widespread thunderstorms and some very heavy localized rainfall with the risk of hail and possibly spot flooding. No warnings on Met Eireann but wouldn't be surprised if they kick off with enough intensity then warnings could be issued.

Cold upper pool and LP centered over Ireland , winds fresh on coasts but not as strong overland but with different directions due to the nature of the LP then convergence will be the key to producing lift tomorrow along with diurnal heating. Very little DLS available but decent lapse rates .

Showers not as quick moving as today so places could get a good drenching and storms might not be moving as quick so might produce a good cluster of strikes in places. Soundings below around the Galtee Mts so maybe a bit North of that might see storms. Will be interesting to see what develops, not too sure how long storms might last as not much DLS so maybe more pulse type ?? Any thoughts.

uPIwlU9.gif

FaQxAzm.gif

x8BoQSY.png

1AoKXKL.png

5e4mWpm.png

2Dp5SbO.png

8qvdgfA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Had the drone up was located at Mullaghmore Sligo. Some footage from today https://mobile.twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1391467428039827461

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heard a few distant rumbles today though they were barely audible and well out in the distance. Got caught in a massive hail downpour when driving that caused a lot of flash flooding though, some nice pea sized hail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The end of Meteorite58 post includes a weather balloon diagram. I identified the location to be around Limerick Junction station Co. Tipperary. I presume the date and time of this graph is a forecast and not actually measured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Over the past few days the balloon launches have ended up near Limerick, you can replay the data here:

https://radiosondy.info/

Last week one came my way, I tracked it and got it, my first capture !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Tipperary

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thundery showers this afternoon and evening with hail and heavy downpours bringing the risk of spot flooding.

Valid: 13:46 Monday 10/05/2021 to 20:00 Monday 10/05/2021

Issued: 13:47 Monday 10/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just about to go boom anytime now, wind really picking up and hail starting to fall (SW Laois)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Fantastic looking cell to my west, towards edenderry, generating Sparks. Can't attach photo, getting an internal server error.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How do the showers know to stop before County Dublin?

I'm within sight of the Dublin/Meath/Kildare tri-border, hoping for some action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »

I know the feeling! :P

Fine day so far in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's darkened a bit in Dublin 22. The rain isn't that heavy, but it has that look that the heavens will open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'm within sight of the Dublin/Meath/Kildare tri-border, hoping for some action.

Exactly. Just had a heavy hail shower in the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Thunderstorm SIGMET in effect for another hour.
    Thunderstorms forecast, with cloud tops FL260 (26,000 ft), moving Northeastwards at 10 knots, no changing trend.
    EISN SIGMET 04
    VALID 101506/101714
    EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR
    OBSC TS FCST WI N5345 W00620 - N5330 W00625 - N5305 W00645 - N5245 W00715 - N5236 W00808 - N5310 W00755 - N5400 W00800 - N5423 W00800 - N5402 W00605 - N5345 W00620 TOP FL260 MOV NE 10KT NC=

51170577623_a20170b9b1_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunderstorm SIGMET in effect for another hour.
    Thunderstorms forecast, with cloud tops FL260 (26,000 ft), moving Northeastwards at 10 knots, no changing trend.

51170577623_a20170b9b1_o.jpg

Thirteen county's under Thunder warning today by ME did anything happen

Sharp showers all day in Arklow
    Fast moving
    5.6mm so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thirteen county's under Thunder warning today by ME did anything happen

When I looked at the radar a couple of hours ago. Most strikes were across Donegal. There was some across Louth/Down area and I think one or two around Sligo/Fermanagh.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Over the past few days the balloon launches have ended up near Limerick, you can replay the data here:

https://radiosondy.info/

Last week one came my way, I tracked it and got it, my first capture !

Never saw that site before, very interesting, I see one landed in Tralee today, tempted to go looking ! :)

Netweather

Some heavy bursts of rain today. A couple of big showers in Tralee this morning but grand day otherwise.

pVr3HM6.png

Rainfall accumulations last 12hrs

yKUAqX3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nothing interesting in Letterkenny today, could see some very dark skies to my north around 4pm which seems to correspond to the sferics above but nothing more than light/moderate showers here today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Never saw that site before, very interesting, I see one landed in Tralee today, tempted to go looking ! :)

This is the equipment you will need, its a small single board computer running off a power bank.

https://ibb.co/vhSVZWg

It receives the signal from the weather balloon on 400 MHz and you can connect to an android phone to display the balloon data & position on a map. As the balloons get lower in altitude the internet tracking stations lose them, but if you can be close enough by then you can get a good position. Then as you get closer when its on the ground it picks up the signal again so you can walk right to the balloon (the balloon's batteries are good for about 4 hours).

Here's the GPS/Transmitter and sensor package on the balloon, this is the one I tracked and collected last week. You also get some great catapult elastic (the balloon) and some silk string. Its good fun, let me know if you want to borrow the tracking kit, its only about €30 to buy.

https://ibb.co/6F6cxw1

Thanks for that SlowBlowin, got me very interested, checking out a few videos on YouTube about the computer board and tracking, there is a Swiss guy that gives great insight. Will Definetly get one and get on the hunt! Would be a nice trophy for the office next to the weather console, would be cool to print out the track and Data collected and make a display. Another project!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

could be some long intense downpours on the west coast this afternoon with potential for severe localised spot flooding

Some serious stormage in North and Mid Wales just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Looking at the rainfall Radar there could be a thunderstorm in or near Galway city this evening. There seems to be some development along the slow moving rain band to affect the Galway area.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The main focus for Thunderstorms on Wednesday will be across Munster, south Leinster and across Ulster also especially later in the afternoon. Today there was less of a risk. Some warnings may be issued tomorrow.

Yea looks like a an occluded front rotating on its axis under an upper trough possibly with a negative tilt but not sure ??. Shear levels appear to be low to me but convergence and diurnal heating coupled with the cold upper pool and Orographic lift all aiding lift. I presume with the nature of the front rotating on its axis it would produce forcing with the upper level divergence. Looks like producing heavy rain in places with hail possible and a good chance of thunderstorms especially Munster with the ECM highlighting Kerry ( S and E ) and Cork as being fairly high risk of thunderstorms. Some very high CAPE values. Would agree possible warnings more so for Munster tomorrow morning if the weather plays out like being shown. Will see if some possibility into Leinster also.

Tf5Vxsf.gif

43ICQ2W.png

fkc1Ebt.gif

GnBR1s0.png

uGBtCRp.gif

9U92qEI.png

ZgG6mJn.png

Some serious stormage in North and Mid Wales just now.

Very sadly it seems a young boy was killed on a football field in Blackpool from a lightning strike that came from this system as it drifted north. RIP.

Very sadly it seems a young boy was killed on a football field in Blackpool from a lightning strike that came from this system as it drifted north. RIP.

Terrible. Friend in Liverpool had it right overhead. Was on video call and could see the lightning lighting up the room.

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Leinster, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Munster

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, with a risk of hail and localised spot flooding.

Valid: 13:00 Wednesday 12/05/2021 to 22:00 Wednesday 12/05/2021

Issued: 10:01 Wednesday 12/05/2021

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement