Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Naas looks to be the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

D15, come to Papa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Convergence really playing it's part today

fgoGzqD.png

abo5CGZ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Some intensification on the southern end of that line which might be of interest to Dublin. Slight northern turn to the precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Looks like the electrics have died over Kildare. No fresh sferics reported in a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Gone very dark in Dublin 15. Could be in for some sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Nothing for D22. It has brightened slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gone very dark in Dublin 15. Could be in for some sparks.

Heres hoping. A very pregnant sky indeed just now.

• Advertisement

Just some very welcome heavy showers overnight and early morning here near Tralee 10.4mm. Watching some showers intensify as they get lift over the Slieve Mish Mts heading towards my direction, projected to pass over me, would love just even 1 rumble!

Netweather

18F316c.png

WknQsCA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    D15, come to Papa.

Andy mammy hee hee

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Sky from Delvin, Westmeath looking south at 16:42

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Sky from Delvin, Westmeath looking south at 16:42

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not often we see FRQ (Frequent) mentioned in a thunderstorm SIGMET in Ireland. This one is valid up to around 19:30. Slowly moving northeastwards at 5 knots, tops 23,000 ft.

553146.JPG
    EISN SIGMET 02
    VALID 151627/151827
    EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR
    FRQ TS FCST WI N5345 W00745 - N5324 W00629 - N5254 W00624 - N5224 W00644 - N5154 W00809 - N5205 W00830 - N5225 W00840 - N5325 W00825 - N5345 W00745
    TOP FL230 MOV NE 05KT NC=

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fantastic convection building in West Clare all day long, however since 10am it's stayed bone dry here. Very humid today and pleasant in the sun.

Very dark sky looking towards Killaloe in Clare .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Captured this today

0-F3993-B6-3966-4126-AC62-FCC519-EB2-DC1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

A couple of claps of thunder in Clonmel, heavy rain also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

No thunder. No lightning. And absolutely no rain from that thunderstorm that left Kildare this afternoon enroute to Dublin. How bizarre :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lp takes up a new position tomorrow to our SE bringing winds in from the N, NE and NW'lys into Munster . Again cold air aloft and trough's moving down the country with low level convergence zones and diurnal heating aiding convection. Again heavy showers , some of hail and thunderstorms widespread. Like today probably short lived pulse like storms but with heavy downpours. Again Munster, Leinster and Connaught featuring more then Ulster, perhaps border counties might see some heavy thundery showers. Think Met Eireann will probably issue warnings for the three provinces again.

jiicacQ.gif

vFXojJM.gif

KFPMa4m.gif

qwu80Yu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sent from a friend in Mayo yesterday.

attachment.php?attachmentid=553178&stc=1&d=1621103761

553179.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

No need for more warnings we've had them all week and the thunder has been minimal with the majority seeing nothing but heavy showers.
    A biscay low moving north with storms and heat in situ,now maybe that warrants a warning
    It's about time warnings were used less and more so when they are warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

No need for more warnings we've had them all week and the thunder has been minimal with the majority seeing nothing but heavy showers.
    A biscay low moving north with storms and heat in situ,now maybe that warrants a warning

It’s nearly always the case for my county (Dublin) that we miss out on a decent thunderstorm unless it’s coming up from the Bay of Biscay as you mentioned. I still think the warnings are warranted though as a lot of rainfall can result from these hit and miss thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I'm not trying to be over the top here by saying this but a young kid was killed in the UK by a lightning strike this week while playing football.

All of us who frequent this forum know thunderstorms are hit and miss for the area the warning is issued in. After all its a yellow warning. To be mindful thunderstorms may occur but they can't pin point the exact locations of were it will occur all the time.

My parents go for daily walks in a forest up a hill, I advised them not to go up there the day there was a warning issued for here and its all the better they didn't as lightning occurred that day. Without thunderstorm warnings people would be caught out in situations like that and it would be a dereliction of duty from meteorologists if they didn't issue them when warranted. At least if there are warnings issued, people are informed and can make their own choice.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't today the first day this week there has been a thunderstorm warning for your county? There was plenty of lightning this week in North Donegal. Meteorites daily posting of lightning strikes have illustrated that.

Todays detected sferics and rainfall.

I agree with Tyrone212 very hard to pinpoint exactly where these storms break out and impossible to forecast the very localized nature of the heavy downpours and hail so better to make people aware of the potential and advise them of risk by issuing warnings for general areas .

Kx7PW52.gif

YCJDqjG.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I agree it was a very dissapointing day today. I thought when I saw that aviation warning above that there may be more to it than appeared, but in reality it produced very little in the way of lightning but plenty in the way of miserable conditions. We needed a few more degrees of warming to get things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Worth noting that even though I believe warnings were over done lately tomorrow for the South looks primed particularly near Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be over the top here by saying this but a young kid was killed in the UK by a lightning strike this week while playing football.

All of us who frequent this forum know thunderstorms are hit and miss for the area the warning is issued in. After all its a yellow warning. To be mindful thunderstorms may occur but they can't pin point the exact locations of were it will occur all the time.

My parents go for daily walks in a forest up a hill, I advised them not to go up there the day there was a warning issued for here and its all the better they didn't as lightning occurred that day. Without thunderstorm warnings people would be caught out in situations like that and it would be a dereliction of duty from meteorologists if they didn't issue them when warranted. At least if there are warnings issued, people are informed and can make their own choice.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't today the first day this week there has been a thunderstorm warning for your county? There was plenty of lightning this week in North Donegal. Meteorites daily posting of lightning strikes have illustrated that.

Call me old fashioned, but you tend to get a pretty good idea if a storm is coming for you well in advance, like when a big black cloud coming for you that is grumbling away; or do we now live in a time where people are so dependent on state institutions to tell them what's what they don't even bother to look up at the sky any more to know what is coming?

Warnings for a few random strikes that could turn up anywhere are way over the top and drama inducing. We don't exactly live in Kentucky or anything.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement