Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not a mention on that forecast after the news of the thunder showers in the West and Midlands

Storm 10 wrote: »
    MT called this today with showers moving South into Connacht from a front over Scotland fair play, it's disappointing when they don't happen

The only weather forecaster that is relevant to me is MT Cranium. He is head and shoulders above Met Eireann. Always excited when I read his weather analysis for the day and the coming weeks every morning, like a child eagerly anticipating Christmas Day. Terrific stuff.

Pretty active storm moving towards Ennis

Pretty active storm moving towards Ennis

I live in Ennis and its pretty dark out there very ominous clouds gathering and just starting to rain now. No rumbles of thunder or flashes of lightening just yet.

I live in Ennis and its pretty dark out there very ominous clouds gathering and just starting to rain now. No rumbles of thunder or flashes of lightening just yet.

It looks like it might miss you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not much showed up in Kerry Cork after all. Some heavy showers in Tralee but even about 14 km NW there was little rain. The second feature producing more sferics, looks like it powered up from more diurnal heating later in the day. The occluded front looked quite stationary probably too messy a profile and never got enough heating going ?

78sovpS.png

ppBw7do.gif

hAkHb4N.gif

HIyiN9U.png

Great capture by Nightskyhunter

https://twitter.com/martinastro2005/status/1392562085775749120?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Got some very heavy rain in Shannon a few minutes ago. Small clap of thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

In contrast, some nice lenticulars to close the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sadly, it was just too cold and not humid and sticky enough for any decent storms. Cells were never going to form today, I don't know my ME issued such a wide scale yellow alert, but there you go.

Only got to 13C here in Cork, but once the rain kicked off it stayed below 11c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still under cold air aloft and showers breaking out again tomorrow with isolated TS possible more so in the Northern half of the country . The East might feature or N Leinster, again lots of areas of convergence aiding lift. Lapse rates good but shear is low so again pulse type storms again .

BoiOBwu.png

TbAnMGG.png

baWGX7M.png

bGXSDNK.png

• Advertisement

Heavy showers moving from the North along the West Coast any chance of sparks from them

A lot of convection over the Wicklow mountains
    Building and rumbling to the west of me too,on its southern edge in the south of the county only a few kms inland and tailing into north wexford

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A lot of convection over the Wicklow mountains
    Building and rumbling to the west of me too,on its southern edge in the south of the county only a few kms inland and tailing into north wexford

Was just popping in to post similar. A lot of dark and building cloud over Dublin Mountains.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like convergence over Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »

Been looking at that all morning from my bedroom office window. Has been building all the time, wouldnt be surprised to see sparks from it later.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Yesterday afternoon's line of convection from Clare to the NE ( wrap around occlusion ??) into the evening showing up well on Sat24. Good lesson on how a feature moving into relatively clear air and afternoon heating can produce thunderstorms. I remember thinking that the DP was quite low for sparks but not so.

Hi DOCARCH any chance of sparks from the showers building off the West

Hi DOCARCH any chance of sparks from the showers building off the West

Converging winds showing up well, more chance over land then off the coast I would think, nothing sparking yet in the West, could still do this afternoon, wonder will the convection build over Clare and produce a few sparks ??

OP2M4ah.png

hfB0khC.gif

Activity has decayed over the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains (without a spark).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Typical lol. Hopefully over the summer months we get some T-storms coming up from the Bay of Biscay during a warm and humid spell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, dissapointing, at least the sun held out here, I was expecting a dull evening.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and evening with a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 15:25 Thursday 13/05/2021 to 22:00 Thursday 13/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lightning strikes showing up over Donegal now

There was a Rumble around lunchtime on the south end
    Showed an orange X on met Eireann radar for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We had some threatening clouds near Limerick earlier this afternoon. But the activity has now died down to spotty showers at the time of writing. I had a video camcorder rolling with the hope of capturing any lightning for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Big crash of thunder around 3:30pm during a hail downpour in Letterkenny

rxK9tH7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

rxK9tH7.png

Really petty efforts that last couple of days

• Advertisement

Risk of thunderstorms in Northern Counties tomorrow. Lapse rates decent there.

A bit more shear available, maybe a few funnel clouds again.

uWH3gZq.gif

QYrZQJW.png

4sXvbFF.png

KQnGVtQ.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement