Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Boulevard Outlet. Banbridge. Jack Jones were taking euro for pound in cash.
    Didn't have euros cash on me so paid by Revolut.

Sasso wrote: »
    Boulevard Outlet. Banbridge. Jack Jones were taking euro for pound in cash.
    Didn't have euros cash on me so paid by Revolut.

Is that place still open? It's usually a ghost town any time i visit.

Must look up the website to see what shops are there these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Watch out for the small print though

€ for £*
    *Valentine's day items only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Hadn't been there for years, when up 2 weeks ago. It's a nice day out. They have built a huge Tesco near the shopping mall, and a MC Donald's , which is handy. Clarke's, M&S etc, it's all on the website. No bargains when we were there. Attached on to Tesco is a high home store and more type shop, enjoy.

Thanks guys- I might pay it a visit mid-week when it's quiet and bring a few yoyo's so see what the appetite is to take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

was in Banbridge outlets at the weekend. Didn't find any great bargains.
    The Asics outlet in Kildare Village is cheaper.

Some great bargains in Tesco for booze though. 12 cans of 330 ml Punk IPA for £13. 1 ltre Smirnoff £17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

CBCB wrote: »
    was in Banbridge outlets at the weekend. Didn't find any great bargains.
    The Asics outlet in Kildare Village is cheaper.

Some great bargains in Tesco for booze though. 12 cans of 330 ml Punk IPA for £13. 1 ltre Smirnoff £17
    I was there last week and got some good bargains in the Skechers shop and Mountain Warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

I have to go to Enniskillen tomorrow. Never been. I was thinking of doing some shopping in my spare time. What's the best place for parking? What are tthe shopping centres /stores like?

When paying should I use my debit visa(Tapping) or credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

In my opinion its better to use cash.

With tap you have to pay the exchange rate the bank charges you on top of the item. If that makes sense.

I don't use a credit card up north so can't advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

check out the revolut forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

horse7 wrote: »
    check out the revolut forum.

Second that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I have to go to Enniskillen tomorrow. Never been. I was thinking of doing some shopping in my spare time. What's the best place for parking? What are tthe shopping centres /stores like?

ASDA and TESCO inthe town both have free parking while there is free parking bu the quays, Parked in all three and all are grand and close to shopping. Centres are grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone been in the Quays recently and know if they are taking euros or not in Sainsburys ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone been in the Quays recently and know if they are taking euros or not in Sainsburys ect?

I suspect every shop in the North takes euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

paska wrote: »
    I suspect every shop in the North takes euro.
    Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Sainsbury's are taking Euro notes at the tills.
    They do have a Bureau de change but their rate isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

admcfad wrote: »
    Sainsbury's are taking Euro notes at the tills.
    They do have a Bureau de change but their rate isn't great.

What exchange rate to they give you in the shop? Are you better off paying revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hogzy wrote: »
    What exchange rate to they give you in the shop? Are you better off paying revolut?

The market / interbank rate is €1.1332 per £1

Revolut are €1.14 (weekend 0.5% above interbank)

Visa are €1.138 + Bank fee of between 1% & 1.75%

At a guess, an in-store exchange will be about €1.15-€1.18 per £1

Yesterday morning I paid for an item online (£300) and my credit card rate worked out at €1.13. An hour later I drove down the road to Strabane and went into the Bureau de Change and bought a small amount of sterling and their rate was just slightly over €1.16.

I was always led to believe that the CC's were more expensive but based on yesterday's experience I think I might just pay by card in the future or withdraw cash from an ATM instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Hogzy wrote: »

I always use Revolut. But I keep an eye on the rates offered by the Bureau for cash and I have noticed that they are not giving a fair exchange rate as they would have done 18 months ago. I feel that they are cashing in on the current fall in sterling and not passing on the full benefit of the current exchange rates.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Yesterday morning I paid for an item online (£300) and my credit card rate worked out at €1.13. An hour later I drove down the road to Strabane and went into the Bureau de Change and bought a small amount of sterling and their rate was just slightly over €1.16.

Are you sure it was €1.13 and not 87p/€1?

A lot of people make this error.

Considering the interbank rate was €1.133/£1, it would be impossible to get a rate better than this unless it was an error.

If it says a gbp to eur rate of 87p, then the eur to gbp rate is €1.15. (or €1.1494 to be precise)

A lot of people make this error.

Considering the interbank rate was €1.133/£1, it would be impossible to get a rate better than this unless it was an error.

If it says a gbp to eur rate of 87p, then the eur to gbp rate is €1.15. (or €1.1494 to be precise)

Edit - if online purchase was Friday morning, the interbank rate was hovering at €1.136 until about 2pm when it moved back to 1.133.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I was always led to believe that the CC's were more expensive but based on yesterday's experience I think I might just pay by card in the future or withdraw cash from an ATM instead
    Was that using a credit card from a bog standard bank? When you make an FX transaction on these cards, the pending transaction that appears is just an estimate based on the MasterCard/Visa FX rate on the day of the transaction and doesn't include the bank fees.

The FX rate you actually get will be the MC/Visa rate on the day the transaction is finalised so may be higher or lower. Also, the bank fees will be applied at this stage so the effective FX rate you're getting will be significantly worse.

CC rate always cheaper in my experience - at least mine is.

Darc19 wrote: »
    The cost of the item was £299.99 and €338.71 is the charge showing on my CC account so that equates to £1 = €1.129 or €1.13 as stated above.

Quackster wrote: »
    Was that using a credit card from a bog standard bank?
    Avant card.

Quackster wrote: »
    When you make an FX transaction on these cards, the pending transaction that appears is just an estimate based on the MasterCard/Visa FX rate on the day of the transaction and doesn't include the bank fees.
    The €338.71 is showing as pending but based on past experience this usually ends up as the actual amount charged.

The cost of the item was £299.99 and €338.71 is the charge showing on my CC account so that equates to £1 = €1.129 or €1.13 as stated above.

Avant card.

The €338.71 is showing as pending but based on past experience this usually ends up as the actual amount charged.

Well the Avant Card FX fee is 2.65% on top of the MasterCard rate so this should be better than any Bureau de Change I would reckon. You'd save that 2.65% if you used Curve with your credit card (or indeed Revolut) instead.

Avant card.

It's either a minor error or the retailer had a set rate programmed in @1.13 as interbank rate did not drop below 1.1318 Thursday or Friday. Visa rate was 1.1357 for Fri https://www.visa.ie/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

Bank commission is now shown as a separate charge as per eu regs, So possibly you'll see their 2.65% fee as a charge in itself.

Overall, I find using cards is best value esp as you don't end up with a pocketful of blighty coin :)

Just to update the thread as the actual charge is now registered on my CC account. item purchased in Argos cost £299.99. Initially a payment of €338.71 was showing on the statement as "pending". That figure has now changed to €341.31 but there is also the separate foreign currency charge of €9.04 making a grand total of €350.35 :eek:

How does a man get one of these Revolut cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just to update the thread as the actual charge is now registered on my CC account. item purchased in Argos cost £299.99. Initially a payment of €338.71 was showing on the statement as "pending". That figure has now changed to €341.31 but there is also the separate foreign currency charge of €9.04 making a grand total of €350.35 :eek:

How does a man get one of these Revolut cards?

It'll be your best decision....

You will get a card and free credit once you top up...

I found it great in UK and online.

Sainsbury's spirits at the weekend:

Ha'penny Dublin gin: £22.50 (normally €35, bought 2)
    Monkey shoulder whiskey: £22 (normally €40+)
    Plymouth gin: £20 (normally €35+)

They have a couple of deals on their own brand spirits also, picked up a bottle of rum for £16 also. Bottles of yellowtail shiraz and campo viejo rioja were £6 each as well.

So, 5 bottles of spirits and 2 bottles of wine came to £114, or roughly €128.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Jack Daniels 1 litre currently GBP 20.00 in Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Thinking of taking a trip to Newry for Christmas Shopping. Anyone been? Is it worth it? I have a Revolut for Online shopping.

I know the exchange rate has weakened for us but do shops up there still offer parity?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Thinking of taking a trip to Newry for Christmas Shopping. Anyone been? Is it worth it? I have a Revolut for Online shopping.

I know the exchange rate has weakened for us but do shops up there still offer parity?

Thanks

Not sure about parity but booze is still a lot cheaper. Tesco's had 1l Bailey's for £12, buy 6 wines get 25% off, get 4 Ales for £6(exact ales are 10 euros here)

Not sure about parity but booze is still a lot cheaper. Tesco's had 1l Bailey's for £12, buy 6 wines get 25% off, get 4 Ales for £6(exact ales are 10 euros here)

Thanks very much for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you're travelling from Kerry or Wexford , I couldn't see it worthwhile.
    You get the best of Irish beer in Aldi /Lidl for 1.79e a bottle. Irish Country Cream for 6.79e and a bottle of lovely bourbon whiskey for 14.50.
    Fuel, tolls,eating out ,parking, it would be had value for money in my opinion.
    Maybe if you get into somewhere like Savage & Whitten you might save a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

I agree. I'm in Derry five days a week, but buy all my beer in Aldi or Lidl in Letterkenny. I've bought branded spirits in the north, but I wouldn't go out of my way to travel to do it.

Not looking for alcohol, to be honest I love browsing the Sainsbury's, boring I know, to see stuff we don't get here.

Also the card shop is very reasonable and you get the Granny Grandad Auntie stuff plus 5 cards for a pound, as we have a few of Sagittarius babies in the family.

Though the sister said they have Moet for about €25 a bottle if you buy 6 and she might want it for gifting, she says it's double that down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Glenn220390

Tesco.com at the moment is £25 off £70 for new customers using code XXHTFL at checkout. valid on orders up until 18/12

I have created a new account and used a random NI address and made my order for click and collect for Banbridge store. Code worked fine and discount applied.

All items I've ordered are already heavily discounted compared to my local Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not looking for alcohol, to be honest I love browsing the Sainsbury's, boring I know, to see stuff we don't get here.

This used to be my fave, all the special biscuit and chocolate collections we never had here but in the past couple of years I've noticed there's no difference anymore, that and sweets seem to be quite a bit more expensive in the North.

Though the sister said they have Moet for about €25 a bottle if you buy 6 and she might want it for gifting, she says it's double that down here.

They are, huge savings still to be had on drinks, especially the Branded ones.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    This used to be my fave, all the special biscuit and chocolate collections we never had here but in the past couple of years I've noticed there's no difference anymore, that and sweets seem to be quite a bit more expensive in the North.

They are, huge savings still to be had on drinks, especially the Branded ones.

We didn't make it in the end. I see sterling has dropped to 82p to the Euro which is huge difference from Summer.

I love browsing the food in Sainsburys, I'd love to go to Asda in Belfast but we have never made it. It's the novelty more so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although GBP had risen from 90p back in Oct to 83-84p, thanks to Brexit being sort of settled, the pound has fallen sharply in the last week or so.

18-Feb = 83p
    19-Mar = 93p

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

The 92.985p today is the lowest in ten years against the euro.

Geuze wrote: »
    The 92.985p today is the lowest in ten years against the euro.

I wouldn’t go to NI even if it was parity-would like to support ROI and all that our great retailers and workers are doing- but I’ll certainly buy STG cash if parity to use again when this blows over

I wouldn’t go to NI even if it was parity-would like to support ROI and all that our great retailers and workers are doing- but I’ll certainly buy STG cash if parity to use again when this blows over

No need to buy sterling cash when you can buy sterling in Revolut whenever. You can even set it to automatically convert when the exchange-rate hits a desirable point.

Will it hit parity by the end of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Just a quick query anybody driven up north recently just wondering if any covid checkpoints in place

• Advertisement
Advertisement