Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Bond-007 wrote: »
    We all know that that is a scam. If you pay in sterling in those shops you get a discount.

Have to disagree - if a shop is offering euro for pound and displays the price of the goods in sterling then it is obliged to charge that price and not give discount. I saw a jacket in a shop at home recently and asked about the euro/pound deal. The price displayed was the price being charged - needless to say I took it in euros so no scam there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

gally74 wrote: »
    for anyone near claremorris in mayo, visit the n17 food club, did it this evening and its better that asda etc. in the north. well worth a visit and nice to see a response to lidl and aldi in ireland,

the brands are all the well known and prices are A1.http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

And this has exactly what to do with shopping for bargains in Northern Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

The euro 20c coin works in sainsburys also, use that next time

Thanks for the heads up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

newmills wrote: »
    Have to disagree - if a shop is offering euro for pound and displays the price of the goods in sterling then it is obliged to charge that price and not give discount. I saw a jacket in a shop at home recently and asked about the euro/pound deal. The price displayed was the price being charged - needless to say I took it in euros so no scam there!!
    They can give any discount they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Famous45 wrote: »
    Another couple of issues about shopping there last night.

I went into Boots in the Quays and purchased something for £8.00. The person before me had handed the cashier €40. So I pay with a €50 note and I ask the lady can I have the change in € she says no we don't have any notes, I said but that previous lady just gave you €40 after much debate she stood firm and didn't want to entertain me at all.

They were also only offering .81 yet the rate was .90 but she said it's set on a Sunday and remains like that all week.

A question, I seen a lot of Bank of Ireland atms there, is it cheaper to withdraw the required amount for shopping thru the atm and get the current rate with boi and pay for the shop in sterling, does anyone do this?

They probably have a policy in Boots that they don't give Euro change. The cashier would have to work out what rate to use anyway, as it would be a currency transaction the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

What would be the best way to get your cash changed to pounds at good rates? Would you change it up north?

Any ATM in Northern Ireland. They give the best rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any ATM in Northern Ireland. They give the best rates.
    ATMs don't take cash, though! :D

Not your ornery onager

Indeed they don't.:D

They merely exchange the cash € in your account for stg.

I can't understand why people insist on using euro in a state where it is not the official currency. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

esel wrote: »
    ATMs don't take cash, though! :D
    Very good :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What savings can be made on petfood etc up north?

Massive savings.

Whiskas cans €0.91 here or 51p in the north.
    Bakers complete 15kg sack €33 here. £22 in the north.

I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Jollyes Pet Shop in Newry

Royal Canin 15kg bag = £33
    Pet Stop Blanch = c€70

No contest!

Pet Stop Blanch
    Enuff said. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm going to Newry in half an hour. Where is the best to fill up on bathroom stuff, washing powders, beers etc. The heavy non-consumables.

Tesco/Sainsburys/Dunnes... etc. Are they all in Newry?

No Tesco or Asda in Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Went to Sainsburys Newry yesterday at about 12.15pm. Busy enough. Thought the shop looked like a warzone, empty boxes everywhere - looked like Super Crazy Prices used to or Lidl, boxes cut open rather than shelves stacked. It amazes me how a company can let shelves lie empty why arent merchandisers packing the shelves throughout the day ? No brainer surely. Couldn't get a whole load of cereals or detergents but managed to get great deals in the Chemist next door - cheaper than Sainsburys. Worth a visit, much better bargains than Boots.

20c in trolley worked too.

A question I was originally trying to get to Asda in Kilkeel but to get to it I seemed to have to go into Newry, should I have come off at the Jonesboro exit or gone via Carlingford

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

No Tesco or Asda in Newry.

Crap. What big stores are in Newry. Is it worth travelling to find one of the large stores.

Jesper wrote: »
    Crap. What big stores are in Newry. Is it worth travelling to find one of the large stores.
    Sainsburys and Dunnes stores in Newry.

For anything bigger you will need to travel further north to Banbridge for Tesco or almost Belfast for Asda.

Jesper wrote: »
    What big stores are in Newry. Is it worth travelling to find one of the large stores.

Sainsburys
    - look at chemist next door to Sainsburys too
    Supervalu
    Marks & Spencer & Dunnes in Buttercrane

• Advertisement

I would hardly describe Supervalu as a major store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

zokrez wrote: »
    Went to Sainsburys Enniskillen yesterday

Didn't know there was a Sainsburys in Enniskillen, where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danielleabell

Does anyone know where to get baby products in belfast i.e. prams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Got a quick trip to Newry in yesterday morning. Did Jollys (pet shop), Boyds, Fruit & Veg Shop, Bakers, Butchers and Dunnes! :)

Filled the car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

sheba chicken/turkey 100g 45p each
    sheba cat chicken 80g 56p
    sheba tuna& prawn 80g 56p each.
    .some of that cat food you cant get down here, spent over £60 in cat food alone. will do the two cats for a couple of months tillour next visit. will try and price the sheba chicken/turkey 100g in dunnes down here when i get a chance.
    got to newry about 08.40 yesterday and by 09.30 all the 27 tills were about 7 trolleys deep. i asked one of the guys at the desk is it always like this on a sat ,he said it's like this everyday. after that we went up to sains and B&Q in sprucefield where there was alot more variety.filled the car up completely. lots and lots of sains plastic bags, great for the kitchen rubbish and no charge for the bags either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

24 can pack of Asda brand cat food = £9.28 ~39p/tin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

DonJose wrote: »
    Didn't know there was a Sainsburys in Enniskillen, where is it?

There is definitely no Sainsburys in Enniskillen. There is an ASDA, Dunnes, Tesco and Marks and Spencers. So it's not doing too bad!

Sorry meant Newry. :o

Anyone tell me how the best way to travel to Asda in Kilkeel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Does anyone know where to get baby products in belfast i.e. prams

I was in Newry yesterday who picked up pram along with lots of other baby stuff like rocker, high chair, feeding chair, carseat etc.

He picked up pram, carseat and couple of smaller stuff from Mothercare. Rest from Smyths.

You can check the prices from mothercare UK site. Even if you are going to Belfast I would suggest to give them a call before you go to find out if the model you are looking for is availble. Yesterday we found that atleast 25-30 models of pram were on display but only about 10 in stock. You can book in store and collect a week later but that will involve another trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have sinus problem so I rely a lot on Disprin (Asprin). Use if for the hangover days as well :)

I was in Newry yesterday and picked a loads of Apsrin from Boots. Its their own brand.

16 Soluble tablets: 38p
    16 standard tablets: 16p
    16 Extra strength Asprin: 1.26p

Picked up my quota for a year :)

Advertisement