Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariagirl

hi all, am practicing these numerical prectice tests. I cannot get any decent score. Has anyone done these before..Are the real tests on the day just as hard? I am not going to pass if they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Read the competition booklet cover to cover noting all the minute details

I haven't got the booklet for this comp to hand but most of the questions above are usually usually answered there. If its not, typically that's all the info theyll give anyway. It's well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

Read the competition booklet cover to cover noting all the minute details

I haven't got the booklet for this comp to hand but most of the questions above are usually usually answered there. If its not, typically that's all the info theyll give anyway. It's well worth reading.

On this topic, does anyone still have the PDF booklet for this competition, I stupidly did not save it, and interested in a few items on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

On this topic, does anyone still have the PDF booklet for this competition, I stupidly did not save it, and interested in a few items on it.

It’s still available in the message on your publicjobs.ie account. Just download again and save.

griffid wrote: »
    It’s still available in the message on your publicjobs.ie account. Just download again and save.

Thanks I have had a look in the messages and it is not there just a reminder message to complete the application and a link to the pretests.

It also does not appear to be in the "My Applications" section neither as it only includes my online application form but not the actual booklet on the job.

• Advertisement

Thanks I have had a look in the messages and it is not there just a reminder message to complete the application and a link to the pretests.

It also does not appear to be in the "My Applications" section neither as it only includes my online application form but not the actual booklet on the job.

My message says:

"As outlined to you previously, Stage 1 of the selection process will comprise aptitude tests. Pre-test information is available in the link below. You are advised to read this carefully before taking the actual tests.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/2045902_Stage_1_Pre_test_Information_Booklet_Final.doc

The Actual Tests

A message will be sent to your publicjobs message board on Thursday 28th May containing a link to your actual aptitude tests. If you have not received this message by this date, you should email aprecruitment@publicjobs.ie
    "

I've highlighted the link to the booklet in red. Yours should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

quad_red wrote: »
    A friend mailed PAS asking what the pass mark was and was it correct that once the pass mark was achieved in all 3 segments (verbal, maths and situational), only the verbal score affected the OOM (as some have claimed on here).

They were told that PAS would not provide any information in how testing is scored to candidates.

So they're only using 1 of the 3 to determine the OOM? I've never heard of them doing that before. Seems odd that they wouldn't count the Situation Judgment test too. Makes me a bit apprehensive about the soft skills of the people who might get hired too!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Booklet attached

griffid wrote: »
    My message says:

"As outlined to you previously, Stage 1 of the selection process will comprise aptitude tests. Pre-test information is available in the link below. You are advised to read this carefully before taking the actual tests.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/2045902_Stage_1_Pre_test_Information_Booklet_Final.doc

The Actual Tests

A message will be sent to your publicjobs message board on Thursday 28th May containing a link to your actual aptitude tests. If you have not received this message by this date, you should email aprecruitment@publicjobs.ie
    "

I've highlighted the link to the booklet in red. Yours should be the same.
    delricyo wrote: »
    Booklet attached

Thanks for your help on these posts guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Just wondering what score in general people are getting in the practice sessions for verbal. I’m actually finding it difficult and not sure if it’s baby brain as I’m 8 months pregnant or if they are actually difficult. Can see people saying numerical is difficult but not verbal so getting worried

• Advertisement

Just wondering what score in general people are getting in the practice sessions for verbal. I’m actually finding it difficult and not sure if it’s baby brain as I’m 8 months pregnant or if they are actually difficult. Can see people saying numerical is difficult but not verbal so getting worried

When I did the verbal first I scored badly. Then I tried again but I actually read the instructions the second time. They don’t mind you making the inference from the text so while it might not specifically say something, if you can make the assumption that is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

lucat wrote: »
    So they're only using 1 of the 3 to determine the OOM? I've never heard of them doing that before. Seems odd that they wouldn't count the Situation Judgment test too. Makes me a bit apprehensive about the soft skills of the people who might get hired too!

No - I am absolutely not saying that.

I mentioned that this had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I included what I'd heard from a friend in that PAS have refused to confirm this.

Hence, I would take it that all three count for the OOM unless PAS definitely advised otherwise (and they will not).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

quad_red wrote: »
    No - I am absolutely not saying that.

I mentioned that this had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I included what I'd heard from a friend in that PAS have refused to confirm this.

Hence, I would take it that all three count for the OOM unless PAS definitely advised otherwise (and they will not).

I missed that in your original post, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

45% in first try of verbal reasoning, bit of work to do before Wednesday week!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

45% in first try of verbal reasoning, bit of work to do before Wednesday week!

got the same on the first try and 63% on the second.. haven't tried since!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Is there only one practice test per aptitude type on the SHL site?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Wooh. Only 40% first go of verbal and I thought I had done well. 18 of 30 wrong though. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinboard

The real tests are live. Just going to do them now and enjoy the great bank holiday weather 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Did your link work? I'm not going to do it until Saturday but I just wanted to make sure it worked and ...well.. it didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Looking forward to hearing how people get on! Think I will save mine for Sunday as I def need Saturday for numerical reasoning practice. Then at least I have Sunday afternoon to enjoy what's left of the weekend (no bank holiday where I am).

Would like to know if we can choose in what order to do the tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Pdbtsi wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing how people get on! Think I will save mine for Sunday as I def need Saturday for numerical reasoning practice. Then at least I have Sunday afternoon to enjoy what's left of the weekend (no bank holiday where I am).

Would like to know if we can choose in what order to do the tests?

I don't think we had in the past? It was verbal, numerical and then job simulation when I did these before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Not sure if anyone else will have the same problem but I got an error message when I clicked directly on the link but worked when I copied the link and opened it in another tab. Lot of guff to get through to get to the main screen.. It *Looks* like all tests are available to do i.e. you don't have to do them in order. In such cases I usually do the maths first as a warm up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shesastute

urgelgru wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else will have the same problem but I got an error message when I clicked directly on the link but worked when I copied the link and opened it in another tab. Lot of guff to get through to get to the main screen.. It *Looks* like all tests are available to do i.e. you don't have to do them in order. In such cases I usually do the maths first as a warm up ;)

Thanks for the work around

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greensoda

do you have to do the three of them in one session or can I do one today and one tomorrow?

The real tests are live. Just going to do them now and enjoy the great bank holiday weather ��

Best of luck!
    Saving mine for Wednesday was the practice tests have made me feel a bit thick and I need all the practice I can get!

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Wooh. Only 40% first go of verbal and I thought I had done well. 18 of 30 wrong though. Yikes.
    Same I think i got 16 right the 1st time!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

Best of luck!
    Saving mine for Wednesday was the practice tests have made me feel a bit thick and I need all the practice I can get!

I’m the same. I definitely need to do more practice before Wednesday.

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinboard

Just done and found them a lot easier that the practice set. Best of luck everyone and enjoy the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

Well done on getting them out of the way quickly! And good to hear that you found them easier than the practice tests ! Still feeling nervous about the numerical, mainly the time element

Advertisement