Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    Just going back to yesterdays discussion. How would one rate a song that you personally hate and would turn off the radio if it came on but from a rational point, you know its a decent song. Wonderwall is an example for me, I personally hate it, but I know its a good song, I would hesitate giving it a zero, it wouldnt be a fair rating imo..
    I'm trying my best to be objective, but obviously it's tricky

Best example is You're So Vain. I don't even know why but I hate it, but I gave it 12 because I get that it is good

The way I see it is, if the song is really that good, even if I absolutely hate it and give it 0 points, but everyone else loves it it should be getting 16-20 points from everyone else so in that case my 0 points don't really matter, it'll get enough points elsewhere to go through.

If it turns out that not everyone loves it as much as expected, and several people score it low, the tribe has spoken and it doesn't deserve a spot in the head-to-heads anyway, as far as we the voters are concerned, there are plenty of worthy songs waiting in the wings to take its spot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There's one in part 3 that I absolutely adore but I can't score high because the best parts are sung by the male :(

Necro wrote: »
    There's one in part 3 that I absolutely adore but I can't score high because the best parts are sung by the male :(

Freddie? Yeah, there are a few duets that are dominated by a male vocalist, and I've been marking them down as a result. If its a really great song, I'll still give it points, just not as many as it might get otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Necro wrote: »

Ya there's a couple, which aren't duets, they are songs with men singing the lead vocal and women essentially singing the backing vocals. Even if I like the song generally I'm scoring it low/ giving zero because it's not really in the spirit of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If a song has qualified for the contest, I would rate it overall regardless of who is singing. Otherwise, duets with males should have been banned.

• Advertisement

If a song has qualified for the contest, I would rate it overall regardless of who is singing. Otherwise, duets with males should have been banned.

giphy.gif

For the most part, I'd be inclined to agree, but to me a duet is where both vocalists share the song in equal measure, there are one or two songs masquerading as duets that are very much male vocalists with a bit of support from a female vocalist, but again, if you feel that warrants full points, go for it. That's the great thing about democracy... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well there's one particular song where the entire lead vocal is male, and the female vocals is ooooohhhs and aaaaahs in the background. I don't consider that a duet.

Well there's one particular song where the entire lead vocal is male, and the female vocals is ooooohhhs and aaaaahs in the background. I don't consider that a duet.

Ah yeah I mean in that case it probably shouldn't be here. A proper duet though I'd probably rate overall.

Right, enough of me nit picking, better get listening :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Submitted parts 2 and 3 (out of order, lol) this morning.

I think I only gave top marks to 6 out of the 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just going back to yesterdays discussion. How would one rate a song that you personally hate and would turn off the radio if it came on but from a rational point, you know its a decent song. Wonderwall is an example for me, I personally hate it, but I know its a good song, I would hesitate giving it a zero, it wouldnt be a fair rating imo..

If I hate the song it's getting a zero - if it's a well written piece loved by most it will do well anyway - thats why these comps end up devisive but you would expect the cream to rise to the top - but then didn't 99 Luftballoons win one.of these already - so sometimes it's best to try and eradicate the ones you don't want to hear in the heats. I think...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Maybe male-female duets could be a seperate competition in their own right.

Happy to see that nobody has nominated the likes of Nicky Minaj or Rihanna yet. Well done you cultured lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Listening to part 3 now and I think I will have my first 0.
    But also loads of 20s in this list!!
    Some great nominations, that I didn't expect to see - and great variety overall!!

Maybe male-female duets could be a seperate competition in their own right.

Happy to see that nobody has nominated the likes of Nicky Minaj or Rihanna yet. Well done you cultured lot :)

:D The only place they might have a chance of winning best song is on Mars, where there are no other songs, and thus win by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

One song on today's list came on and the power went for the entire neighbourhood. Now all I can hear are house alarms and it's a blessed relief, can we give minus points?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Only two songs with zero for me this round, a few with top points, including two of my songs. My personal favorite of the ones i nominated is here and, i don't want to beat my own banana or anything but it is great and should get through, if it somehow fails i will cry and silently judge you all.

Just FYI Strawbs the version of this on the Spotify playlist is by Doris Day, not the Mamas & Papas one. In this case it actually doesn't make much difference to my score (both fine versions imo) but just highlighting it in case anyone out there likes one version but not the other. :)

Whoever nominated Sour Times from Portishead, big kudos

giphy.gif

Just FYI Strawbs the version of this on the Spotify playlist is by Doris Day, not the Mamas & Papas one. In this case it actually doesn't make much difference to my score (both fine versions imo) but just highlighting it in case anyone out there likes one version but not the other. :)

Oooops. I’ve deleted Doris and put Mama Cass back in her rightful place.

Those who have already voted nay need to review this one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Whoever nominated Sour Times from Portishead, big kudos

giphy.gif

EO1NZqt.gif

In group 4 Emma Hewitt & Cosmic Gate – Going Home is the original on Spotify, but Club Mix on YouTube...

I'm guessing whoever nominated it wanted the original because the Club Mix is dirt. I'm rating with the Original in mind unless told otherwise, but just thought it worth pointing out while I spotted it.

• Advertisement

This round is probably my highest scoring round so far - a few artists and songs I really rate - only 4 zeros (again these may be some popular choices so probably won't make a difference overall)

Oooops. I’ve deleted Doris and put Mama Cass back in her rightful place.

Those who have already voted nay need to review this one again.

I knew the Mama's and Papa's track well enough not to have to listen to rate it - and Doris Day had a really special voice, I forgot all about her in my noms.

Round 3 submitted, score frequency below.

I think Aoife Ní Fhearraigh's "The Best Is Yet to Come" is my favourite nomination thus far that I had never heard before, so thanks to whoever nominated that! :)

Score #
    20 2
    18 1
    16 2
    14 2
    12 8
    10 2
    8 1
    6 2
    4 3
    2 2
    0 1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Strawbs, would you mind if I edit your OP to include the links to the posts for each round for easy finding?

Work away, QB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,374 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My scoring for part 3 consists of:

5 scored 20
    1 scored 19
    3 scored 18
    1 scored 15
    4 scored 10
    2 scored 5
    10 scored 0

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Finished scoring group 3, here's how it came out:

SCORE NUMBER
    0 8
    2 3
    4 4
    6 1
    8 1
    10 1
    12 1
    14 1
    16 2
    18 2
    20 2

I probably scored group 3 higher than 4 and 3 of my noms are in group 4

Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOF8MMEgcF4ngT_NQOxCLeK_pbVYd1t-y

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1WLceBD6p6T77OMutWEdPN?si=WVMA85yuQj6b2qK_5NyUAA

Heaven is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle
    Goldeneye - Tina Turner
    Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday
    Caledonia - Dolores Keane
    Haunted - Sinead O'Connor and Shane McGowan
    I Love Rock 'n Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    Bring Me to Life - Evanescence
    Symphony - Clean Bandit
    A Little Time - The Beautiful South
    Jackson - June Carter & Johnny Cash
    All the Things She Said - t.A.T.u.
    ironic - Alanis Morisette
    Sour Times - Portishead
    Black Boys on Mopeds - Sinead O'Connor
    My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne
    Ripples in the Rockpool - Rita Connolly
    Halo - Beyonce
    Think - Aretha Franklin
    22 - Taylor Swift
    Make Your Own Kind of Music - Mama Cass
    How Do I Live - Leanne Rimes
    Coat of Many Colours - Dolly Parton
    China in Your Hand - T'Pau
    Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
    Going Home - Emma Hewitt
    Myth - Beach House

• Advertisement

None of my own nominations made an appearance in Group 4, but it was my highest rated bunch of songs yet...

Points for this Group:
    9 Songs got 20 Points
    5 Songs got 16 Points
    5 Songs got 12 Points
    4 Songs got 8 Points
    1 Song got 4 Points
    2 Songs got 0 Points

Of all 4 Groups so far:
    22 Songs got 20 Points (5 of which I had nominated)
    14 Songs got 16 Points
    15 Songs got 12 Points
    17 Songs got 8 Points
    13 Songs got 4 Points
    21 Songs got 0 Points

Advertisement