Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ah, the nationalist card, that explains it, anyone who isn’t a fan must be xenophobic.
    No.Just morons.
    galwayllm wrote: »
    When is Rory's next outing, I need a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

Ah, the nationalist card, that explains it, anyone who isn’t a fan must be xenophobic.

Not everyone who isn’t a fan, just those from south of the border

galwayllm wrote: »
    When is Rory's next outing, I need a good laugh.

Your previous post in the golf forum:

"Anybody but Rory...C'mon everyone else"

Your bias is abundantly clear, and not of the constructive kind in debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He often scores well, when the pressure is off.

How is it anecdotal when the journalist is literally listing examples?

He often score well when the pressure is on as well. In fact, he scored the best on average of the entire tour last year. So in summary, he often scores well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hard to argue with that, but he would have topped a lot more if it wasn’t for the chokes.

Chokes? Or other golfers just happened to have 4 better rounds. Remember these guys are elite golfers and there's very little between any of them in any given week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

fullstop wrote: »
    He often score well when the pressure is on as well. In fact, he scored the best on average of the entire tour last year. So in summary, he often scores well?

He certainly did, and had some fantastic wins as well. It’s the wins that are important, I doubt Tiger or Jack mention their scoring averages, maybe they do. But that doesn’t change the fact that he also chokes, spectacularly.

Your previous post in the golf forum:

"Anybody but Rory...C'mon everyone else"

Your bias is abundantly clear, and not of the constructive kind in debate.

And he plays off about 20. I know who could give people more of a laugh.

He certainly did, and had some fantastic wins as well. It’s the wins that are important, I doubt Tiger or Jack mention their scoring averages, maybe they do. But that doesn’t change the fact that he also chokes, spectacularly.

Shift the goalposts, quick.

Does falling out of contention on a final day constitute a “spectacular choke “ in your view ?
    I can only think of two or three what I would consider spectacular chokes in his whole career . No more than anyone else

And he plays off about 20. I know who could give people more of a laugh.

Interesting post, I doubt all posters are scratch, or even single digit golfers, but apparently higher handicaps are to be laughed at. I might have a lower handicap than you, but I wouldn’t laugh at you.

• Advertisement

Interesting post, I doubt all posters are scratch, or even single digit golfers, but apparently higher handicaps are to be laughed at. I might have a lower handicap than you, but I wouldn’t laugh at you.

Nonsense response, as you well know. I don’t come in here purporting to be laughing at the abilities of touring professionals, just to get a rise, when they are light years ahead of any of us. But I wouldn’t expect you to comprehend the point I was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

your sentences are very hard to read to be honest.

We are talking about Rory here , on his thread , his issues are fairly unique, you are talking in grand generalities about performance.

You think people use mentality in place of actual causality. But again , we are looking at Rory .

But it is fairly clear in this case , it is the cause. That is why he gets justified flack.

But your applying your thinking on this to an actual case where it is accurate.

Could you tell us about these periods Jack and Tiger had a similar run.

They're not hard to read, others seem to have grasped them perfectly fine.

You might have found them hard to read when quoting half sentences though.

Yes, I believe people are also too quick to blame every shortcoming of Rory's on an issue of mentality to one degree or another.

Does it contribute? Yes of course

Is it always the cause? No of course not but the weighting of blame is overwhelmingly disproportionately attributed to his mental game.

Take last weekend, McIlroy shoots -3 for the round having gone 3 over through 4. This "lapse" is assigned to a faltering mentality.

Rahm on the other hand shoots -2 for the round having gone 4 over through 5. Is this "lapse" as often attributed to a mental issue in someone like Rahm?

Obviously Rory gets more coverage and we are discussing this on a Rory thread but even controlling for both, people are far quicker assign Rory's lapse to a break in mentality while Rahm and many others don't suffer from that type of coverage.
    The truth however is that Rahm was in a more advantageous position looking towards a win which would be more significant to his career which are variables likely to cause extra pressure.
    He loses and doesn't receive the mental critique that befalls McIlroy even though both are Top 3 players in the world.

Although I acknowledged your points regarding the differences between the gaps in major time, what exactly do you want to know about these periods?

Nonsense response, as you well know. I don’t come in here purporting to be laughing at the abilities of touring professionals, just to get a rise, when they are light years ahead of any of us. But I wouldn’t expect you to comprehend the point I was making.

You don’t laugh at touring professionals, but you are more likely to laugh at a 20 handicapper. You literally posted that. Do you think yourself that good a golfer that you laugh at others? Unsurprisingly, prawnsambo liked your comment, personally I think it is the height of ignorance when people laugh on the golf course at others trying their best, and enjoying it. Not everyone is a gifted golfer, but you don’t laugh at them.

You don’t laugh at touring professionals, but you are more likely to laugh at a 20 handicapper. You literally posted that. Do you think yourself that good a golfer that you laugh at others? Unsurprisingly, prawnsambo liked your comment, personally I think it is the height of ignorance when people laugh on the golf course at others trying their best, and enjoying it. Not everyone is a gifted golfer, but you don’t laugh at them.

This seems an unsurprisingly simplistic assessment of what just transpired. Galwayllm decided to descend into some very childish rhetoric which is evidently not too uncommon for him.

Subsequently, Fullstop decides to have a bit of a laugh at his expense- in light of Galwayllm infantile behaviour- by poking him at the posters handicap.

You in turn defend Galwayllm not because you're outraged at what FullStop actually said but because Galwayllm seems to hold a similarly bias view as yourself towards McIlroy.

I think it's quite clear to anyone reading the thread that Fullstop would not have made such a comment had the original utterances of Galwayllm not been so infantile.

Seems like a fair summary.

Rahm on the other hand shoots -2 for the round having gone 4 over through 5. Is this "lapse" as often attributed to a mental issue in someone like Rahm?

Rahm has often been criticised by commentators for his mentality and lapses in judgement. He has make a few strange decisions, but like Rorys in his early career, they are put down to youth and immaturity (not literal immaturity, but in the playing on tour sense, just in case), and if this was the John Rahm thread, no doubt there would be more posts about this, but it isn’t, it’s the Rory McIlroy thread, so saying there isn’t as much comment about other players, is odd.

This seems an unsurprisingly simplistic assessment of what just transpired. Galwayllm decided to descend into some very childish rhetoric which is evidently not too uncommon for him.

Subsequently, Fullstop decides to have a bit of a laugh at his expense- in light of Galwayllm infantile behaviour- by poking him at the posters handicap.

You in turn defend Galwayllm not because you're outraged at what FullStop actually said but because Galwayllm seems to hold a similarly bias view as yourself towards McIlroy.

I think it's quite clear to anyone reading the thread that Fullstop would not have made such a comment had the original utterances of Galwayllm not been so infantile.

Seems like a fair summary.

No, Mud28, McIlroy is a public figure, and one of the best players in the world, you can laugh, shout, cry, do whatever you want, but you know he occupies a different stratosphere to you in golfing terms (just to clarify Charleigh Inexpensive Electricity, I am not saying he actually lives on a different planet, in case you ask for a link). Laughing at someone who plays golf as a pass time is just rude, ignorant, and frankly, indefensible, but you liked his comment, now you are defending it.

No, Mud28, McIlroy is a public figure, and one of the best players in the world, you can laugh, shout, cry, do whatever you want, but you know he occupies a different stratosphere to you in golfing terms (just to clarify Mur28, I am not saying he actually lives on a different planet, in case you ask for a link). Laughing at someone who plays golf as a pass time is just rude, ignorant, and frankly, indefensible, but you liked his comment, now you are defending it.

Are you this woke about every joke that is equally benign?

The fact you would call such a benign joke indefensible and in turn decide that because I liked a subsequent post in response to you-not the actual post that outrages you so much- it is some form of approval on my part is beyond silly but again unsurprising from you.

Show me where I literally posted “I don’t laugh at touring professionals, but I am more likely to laugh at a 20 handicapper”. Because I literally didn’t post that, literally. Literally.
    You can try to twist it whatever way you want, but I’m sure most people can gather the point I was making. But you carry on feeling offended for someone who only ever comes in here to troll.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What have I just read! And we are back to talking about golf and let's stop bickering.

To avoid a repeat of the previous few pages of absolute garbage maybe it’s time for a Mcilroy fan thread and a seperate Mcilroy non fan thread ?

I welcome debate and discussion but when lads are linking articles on neurology and the like , to validate their position the whole thing turns to farce .As mentioned earlier , at the very least , a mandatory two post rule limit per point raised , should be enforced

• Advertisement

rooney30 wrote: »
    To avoid a repeat of the previous few pages of absolute garbage maybe it’s time for a Mcilroy fan thread and a seperate Mcilroy non fan thread ?

I welcome debate and discussion but when lads are linking articles on neurology and the like , to validate their position the whole thing turns to farce .As mentioned earlier , at the very least , a mandatory two post rule limit per point raised , should be enforced

I’m a Mcillroy fan, so I have no problem staying with you. Maybe you mean a thread where no negative posts are allowed?

rooney30 wrote: »

My bad there but difficult to make a point when people are so closed off to any opposing view.

Subsequent posts by the opposing poster have very much validated my opinion on them so no need to perpetuate discussion with them.
    I obviously wouldn't be bothered giving them the benefit of the doubt again.

That said, it's a fair point and a self imposed two post limit seems a good idea

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Us mods are happy to discuss anything via PM with any poster so let's get back to talking about golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's an antipathy to people from NI in certain quarters in this country. I'm not from NI, but have many friends from there and have spent a lot of time there. It's quite obvious when you become aware of it. Some sort of warped nationalism or some such crap. Always dressed up as something else, but that's what it is imo.

Nope, no glaring generalisations in that post at all.

And you can have the last word, move on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Nope, no glaring generalisations in that post at all.
    Speaking of generalisations, care to walk back your assertion about the 'frequent' occasions he's played himself into the top five on Sundays after being out of contention? You seem to have skipped past that one in order to have a go at me on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Rory is not playing this week or next but could still end up World Number 1.

Apparently if Rahm is outside the top 2 in Phoenix and Koepka is outside the top 13 in Saudi Arabia then Rory will go back to number 1.
    However it wouldn't happen this week. Bizarrely it would be a week later when all 3 are not playing any event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

paulos53 wrote: »
    Rory is not playing this week or next but could still end up World Number 1.

Apparently if Rahm is outside the top 2 in Phoenix and Koepka is outside the top 13 in Saudi Arabia then Rory will go back to number 1.
    However it wouldn't happen this week. Bizarrely it would be a week later when all 3 are not playing any event

Does this mean that Rory has choked if he doesn't end up number one after the weekend?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You know folks, if you have something that irritates you with a post being made you always have the facility to take it to PM rather than being public here and draging the thread off topic.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He will be back to #1 in the world tomorrow week, unless Rahm finishes top 2 later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement