Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Mental scarring :rolleyes: the hyperbole is laughable. I'm sure Rory as an 18 time PGA tour winner will be mentally scarred as a result of missing out on the Farmers.

Imagine the mental scarring Rahm must be suffering from having gone 4 over through 5, I'll say a prayer

Is it the concept of mental scarring you find hyperbolic?

Or just the suggestion that mental scarring might be caused by someone teeing off in contention and making a balls if the first 4.

Do you not think that Rory has accumulated any mental scarring in his career?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This happens all the time though except people love to highlight it when it's Mcllroy. Lowry done the exact same thing yesterday when in contention but didn't bounce back and shoots a 74 but nobody here blinked an eye.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This happens all the time though except people love to highlight it when it's Mcllroy. Lowry done the exact same thing yesterday when in contention but didn't bounce back and shoots a 74 but nobody here blinked an eye.

It is the Rory McIlroy thread!!

Agreed it happens all the time. And when it does I believe it causes mental scarring.

One thing I would say, it feela that for someone of his immense natural talent and ability, to me it seems to happen more to Rory than other multiple major and PGA title winners. I fully accept that this is not backed up by hard data.

Yes, I find the concept that a player with McIlroy's prodigious career with its many successes and failures would be mentally scarred by shooting 3 over through 4 in a tournament which he was in contention for but not exactly leading. It wasnt a collapse and your rhetoric would suggest that it was closer to a collapse than an under par round where he finished joint 3rd.

I think people trying to determine how much of any "mental scarring" a player has accumulated is a laughable endeavour in and of itself tbh. Perhaps you can explain how exactly you measure mental scarring and approximate how much McIlroy might have accumulated last night.
    If you could also estimate Rahms that would be interesting too.

I wasn't trying to determine the amount of mental scarring, I was suggesting that it would have caused some.

I've no idea how to measure mental scarring, what the unit of measurement is, or if it can be measured in any meaningful way.

I could be completely wrong about Rory and mental scarring, re yesterday and in general. Nobody know but him.

Yes so you said it caused some and I'm asking you how you would determine that it causes any if as you admit you have no way of measuring it?

Mental scarring as a term is pretty hyperbolic anyway but believing that it arises because he went 3 over through 4 in a pretty inconsequential tournament seems ridiculous to me.
    Obviously believe whatever you want but that type of explanation for his performance is just lazy.

When I am in competition and I dont execute how I feel I should or have the ability to do, or expose a weakness I know I have, I believe I incur mental scarring. I've no idea how much or how to measure it. Nothing to do with Rory. It's something that exists for me, and I cant measure it.

I didnt give any explanation for his performance, I suggested that his performance might have caused some mental scarring. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I'm not too bothered to be honest. I dont need you to agree.

Anyhow, I'm getting bored with this now, feel free to respond but I wont be engaging with it any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes so you said it caused some and I'm asking you how you would determine that it causes any if as you admit you have no way of measuring it?

Mental scarring as a term is pretty hyperbolic anyway but believing that it arises because he went 3 over through 4 in a pretty inconsequential tournament seems ridiculous to me.
    Obviously believe whatever you want but that type of explanation for his performance is just lazy.

It’s just a turn of phrase to describe the effects of repeated disappointments, no need to be pedantic, expert psychologists probably don’t have a method of definitively measuring it either, that doesn’t stop them alluding to it though.

There is no doubting Mcillroy has a tendency to start poorly when in contention in final rounds, he certainly has talked about not taking the opportunities to win by scoring high early in the round. If he says it, that’s good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The poor fella might never pay again with the mental scars from yesterday. That 4 hole stretch combined with his awful finish to last year means it’s a long road back.

fullstop wrote: »
    The poor fella might never pay again with the mental scars from yesterday. That 4 hole stretch combined with his awful finish to last year means it’s a long road back.

Actually he had a fantastic 2019, he won big tournaments and I think I read somewhere that he had the lowest scoring average on tour, so I’m not sure where you think he has a long road back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dav010 wrote: »
    Actually he had a fantastic 2019, he won big tournaments and I think I read somewhere that he had the lowest scoring average on tour, so I’m not sure where you think he has a long road back to.

To recover from the mental scarring of his meltdown on holes 55 though 58 of the Farmer’s Insurance of course. Wasn’t being sarcastic at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Like when it was a lost cause? He's shown exactly this before, goes on a great streak having started really poorly and is out of contention. Or playing a great round after having a mare on day one. Like in the Open, for example.

The mental scarring I was referring to refers to the next time he stands on the first tee on round 4 and in contention.

Lost cause? At the turn he was in contention and the likely contender to Leishman,

He had a complete collapse in the Masters and has gone on to be number 1 in the world, 4 majors, multiple wins worldwide.

With all due respect to any ‘scarring’ you or I or 99.9% of golfers in the world suffer is maybe why we are playing in our weekly club competitions and not on tour. Players like Rory, Rahm, Tiger etc... learn from these things and that’s part of the reason why they’re the best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

I like Rory..... There I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Or maybe its more complicated, has anyone considered it could be that in his first tournament of the year, Rory played relatively well for the week, had a bad start to his final round, recovered very well to shoot 69 on day 4 with 5 bogeys, but ultimately a few 3 putts over the course of the 4 days probably cost him the win ?

I dunno, maybe the brain waves thing is simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Russman wrote: »
    Or maybe its more complicated, has anyone considered it could be that in his first tournament of the year, Rory played relatively well for the week, had a bad start to his final round, recovered very well to shoot 69 on day 4 with 5 bogeys, but ultimately a few 3 putts over the course of the 4 days probably cost him the win ?

I dunno, maybe the brain waves thing is simpler.

Ah don't let sense get in the way of a non-nonsensical argument.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Ffs lads , is this a golf forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooney30 wrote: »
    Ffs lads , is this a golf forum?

What do you mean by "golf" exactly? Can you provide any evidence that golf is in fact a thing or are you just exaggerating?
    Perhaps you can share links to some papers you have published or some studies you have been involved in?
    If not then your post is pointless and you should feel bad about it.:p

Clear ad hominem at play when pressed for much of anything so I'll leave it.

tenor.gif

Pot, meet kettle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Everyone has had their fun now let's all get on with our day jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

It is the Rory McIlroy thread!!

Agreed it happens all the time. And when it does I believe it causes mental scarring.

One thing I would say, it feela that for someone of his immense natural talent and ability, to me it seems to happen more to Rory than other multiple major and PGA title winners. I fully accept that this is not backed up by hard data.

It probably just seems that way because he puts himself in contention far more than most other players. 3rd place in his seasons opener has suddenly open him up to scrutiny and ridicule, simply a victim of his own success.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It probably just seems that way because he puts himself in contention far more than most other players. 3rd place in his seasons opener has suddenly open him up to scrutiny and ridicule, simply a victim of his own success.

No, it seems that way because it happens so often.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-has-become-a-bad-pressure-player-there-we-have-said-it-shane-ryan-voices/amp

Umm very damning indeed, a one sided biaased article written at the start of a season where he then proceeded to win the FEDEX and PGA Tour Player of the year :D:D

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Umm very damning indeed, a one sided biaased article written at the start of a season where he then proceeded to win the FEDEX and PGA Tour Player of the year :D:D

But topical as it has happened again.

But topical as it has happened again.

As I said it will happen many many times more, simply because he is in contention pretty much every week. FWIW he started the final round 4 shots behind the leader and finished up 3 shots behind the winner, hardly the collapse some on here would love to have happened.

It remins me of the debates that used to take place on horse racing where there was a perception that Ruby Walsh fell at the last more often that any other jockey so was therefore flawed in some way, when the reality was Ruby the best jockey and therefore invariably on the best horses was simply in contention at the last fence more often that anyone else so would obviously therefore have more falls at the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Guess who led the tour in late scoring average last year which is obviously more indicative of late stage tournament performances than the anecdotal examples that journalist is providing.

Of course he still went on to clarify that it's ridiculous to call McIlroy a choker of any kind.

Guess who led the tour in late scoring average last year which is obviously more indicative of late stage tournament performances than the anecdotal examples that journalist is providing.

Of course he still went on to clarify that it's ridiculous to call McIlroy a choker of any kind.

He often scores well, when the pressure is off.

How is it anecdotal when the journalist is literally listing examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

He often scores well, when the pressure is off.

How is it anecdotal when the journalist is literally listing examples?

It's anecdotal because it's not exactly proof that he chokes/loses in late rounds any more than any other player which is what he is clearly insinuating.

If he puts himself in position to win more often(as poster suggested) than others and subsequently capitalises on it less often than others then I could get on board with the sentiment.
    However, given he showed nothing more than a number of examples where McIlroy failed to capitalise opposed to the frequency of his failure to capitalise vs his peers, it's nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

Do you understand now?

It's anecdotal because it's not exactly proof that he chokes/loses in late rounds any more than any other player which is what he is clearly insinuating.

If he puts himself in position to win more often(as poster suggested) than others and subsequently capitalises on it less often than others then I could get on board with the sentiment.
    However, given he showed nothing more than a number of examples where McIlroy failed to capitalise opposed to the frequency of his failure to capitalise vs his peers, it's nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

Do you understand now?

How many times did Tiger or Nicklaus choke when in contention?
    If its simply down to being in contention more often, then both players above should have multiple examples of this.
    They didnt always win when in contention, but they rarely threw it away like Rory *seems* to frequently do before having a late rally to get into the placings.

GreeBo wrote: »
    How many times did Tiger or Nicklaus choke when in contention?
    If its simply down to being in contention more often, then both players above should have multiple examples of this.
    They didnt always win when in contention, but they rarely threw it away like Rory *seems* to frequently do before having a late rally to get into the placings.

Ya show us your work on that one, I sure you didn't just pull it out of the air, what tournaments and how many where there you researched to come you this conclusion

The hostility on this thread surprises me. Rory is remarkably consistent, and a single good finish away from being world number one again. More importantly, he has begun to close out tournaments after letting a few slip by. I believe he is a justifiable favourite for the Masters, and it wouldn't surprise me if he exited the summer with two majors in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The hostility on this thread surprises me. Rory is remarkably consistent, and a single good finish away from being world number one again. More importantly, he has begun to close out tournaments after letting a few slip by. I believe he is a justifiable favourite for the Masters, and it wouldn't surprise me if he exited the summer with two majors in the bag.

I know Rory gets way too much stick here, but Rory was favourite for a few majors in the past - and hasn't won one in since 2015.

I hope this year is a change, but I've lost a good few quid on that hope in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement