Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bren2001 wrote: »
    The only way to qualify is to be in the top 11 in the world or get a sponsors pick or be defending champion. An event with a qualifying structure like that shouldn't get any ranking points. May as well give 4 lads who play a round together ranking points if this competition is getting them.
    Yeah, four random lads is pretty equivalent to the field at the hero alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GreeBo wrote: »

Exactly, I had a competition today with 4 lads. We did the SOF calcs and came up with a OWGR points of 0!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭bren2001

GreeBo wrote: »

I was being deadly serious with that comment all right. I don't think a field like the World Hero should get ranking points. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

bren2001 wrote: »
    I was being deadly serious with that comment all right. I don't think a field like the World Hero should get ranking points. That's my point.

I agree with you, and for what it's worth any moderator on here who thinks the way 'gypsy' went on here is OK is not doing his/her job correctly.
    Typical keyboard warrior.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree with you, and for what it's worth any moderator on here who thinks the way 'gypsy' went on here is OK is not doing his/her job correctly.
    Typical keyboard warrior.

Moderators can't read every post on every thread, that's why there is a Report Post Button (small red triangle), once this is used then it gets brought to Moderator attention.
    Please use the Report Button going forward rather than comment on perceived Moderator Inaction mid-thread

Back on Topic please all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

@gypsy79 I'm going to leave your posts untouched as examples of how we do not want to behave on this forum.
    You are entitled to have your opinion but please put it across without expletives and remember to attack the post and not the poster.
    Remember you can always PM someone rather than public spatting.
    Please read forum rules regarding back seat modding - that was the last straw

@others, please do not respond to flaming posts, please use the Report Post Button so it can be alerted to a Moderator and nipped in the bud

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I saw yesterday that rory has come out and defended Patrick Reed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-on-patrick-reed-controversy-wouldnt-be-a-big-deal-if-it-wasnt-patrick-reed

"People love to kick Patrick when hes down. "

As a fellow Patrick, I can empathise with that statement. I get a lot of undeserved kickings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Good decision from Rory turning down the appearance fee in Saudi, not a bad idea having it leaked out that there that it was 2.5m. Nice to see him make a smart move and get some good PR for once.

I think he should have just said nothing, but if I was him I would have played and donated the money to charity.
    In any case hasn't Phil taken his place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

In fairness, he donates a lot to charity already and its perhaps a bigger statement to not take the money. 2.5 million is nothing to Rory, and it has probably increased the value of his image by more than that by not playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

slave1 wrote: »
    I think he should have just said nothing, but if I was him I would have played and donated the money to charity.
    In any case hasn't Phil taken his place...

So such moral ruminations for our money man
    big Phil, Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Rikand wrote: »
    I saw yesterday that rory has come out and defended Patrick Reed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-on-patrick-reed-controversy-wouldnt-be-a-big-deal-if-it-wasnt-patrick-reed

"People love to kick Patrick when hes down. "

As a fellow Patrick, I can empathise with that statement. I get a lot of undeserved kickings ;)
    I agree with him in this instance, in actual fact i think Reed has been very good about the whole situation considering what actually happened and the abuse he has received.

The liklehood is that the camera angle is very misleading. If you look at it closely the camera focussing is different between the ball and where the sand moved which would suggest there was a reasonable gap between both areas. When a camera is zoomed in from a distance it can compress the distance making it look like it is really close when the reality is that there is a sizeable gap.

This is most likely why he asked if there was a different camera angle to show how far back his club actually was and when there wasnt he just accepted his punishment. Fair play to him.

You have to ask yourself - all players know there are cameras on them every single second of the round - why would they bother try and cheat when they know it is being recorded, it makes no sense. Arsehole that he may be or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

davegilly wrote: »
    I agree with him in this instance, in actual fact i think Reed has been very good about the whole situation considering what actually happened and the abuse he has received.

The liklehood is that the camera angle is very misleading. If you look at it closely the camera focussing is different between the ball and where the sand moved which would suggest there was a reasonable gap between both areas. When a camera is zoomed in from a distance it can compress the distance making it look like it is really close when the reality is that there is a sizeable gap.

This is most likely why he asked if there was a different camera angle to show how far back his club actually was and when there wasnt he just accepted his punishment. Fair play to him.

You have to ask yourself - all players know there are cameras on them every single second of the round - why would they bother try and cheat when they know it is being recorded, it makes no sense. Arsehole that he may be or not.

I have to disagree with you on this.

The amount of sand moved, not once but twice suggests that it was either done on purpose to improve his lie, or he just didn’t care about the rules and did it without thinking.

With another player, you might give him the benefit of the doubt, but Reed is a special case, his history with cheating goes before him.

I must say, I commend McIlroy for his utterances over the last week. He could have stayed quiet on the two most controversial issues to come up over the past week, Reed and SA. But he spoke up on both, throwing Reed a life buoy, and passing on the pay day because of moral objections. Good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Dav010 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you on this.

The amount of sand moved, not once but twice suggests that it was either done on purpose to improve his lie, or he just didn’t care about the rules and did it without thinking.

I tend to agree with this. To me it looked like the second movement was ever so slightly to the inside of the first and got the sand he missed the first time. Whether it was a conscious act or instinctive and done without thinking, who knows. Maybe that view is coloured by the fact that its him.

Totally agree its possible to clip a few grains of sand and not feel or notice (wasn't it one of the Swedish ladies that happened to in a playoff a couple of years ago ?), but I can't really buy that you wouldn't notice what Reed did.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭redhill

Exactly wrote: »

Yes, I think with other improvements to the clubhouse the total spend is €2million. A fantastic gym and then a room with 5 golf simulators, three in rooms that can be closed off and two in a large open plan room with full bar facilities etc, coffee area. All have a track man built in and have numerous golf courses to play on the screens if that is your want....
    They currently are running a Winter League over 9 holes at Royal Portrush, groups come and play once a week, one drives, rest have a drink and a few laughs all round, brings a bit of money in all week long during the long winter.
    I have been up a few times to use the trackman and the set up is great. It’s open to non-members and the non-member cost was a very reasonable 10-12 pound per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

He gets a lot of stick, mainly because of his roots (anglo/irish bull****) but he comes across as a really genuine type of guy. He wears his heart on his sleeve and has done incredible things for irish golf. I hope he wins the Masters, he deserves it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

He gets a lot of stick, mainly because of his roots (anglo/irish bull****)

I would say he gets a lot of stick because of what he said on that subject, not because of his roots. He actually gave the media a rod to beat him with on this particular subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    I would say he gets a lot of stick because of what he said on that subject, not because of his roots. He actually gave the media a rod to beat him with on this particular subject.

What he has said obviously hasn’t helped but he was getting stick long before the Olympic thing became an issue . The reason he gets it in the Republic of Ireland is because he comes from a different tradition ( albeit still a catholic) doesn’t wrap himself in the tricolour or wear his County Down jersey . His naturally confident persona doesn’t sit so easily with people here ,perceived as cockiness or arrogance a lot of the time , we are used to our sports stars being humble and not so outspoken .

I hope he wins the Masters

I hope he wins the masters too. And a few more majors.

• Advertisement

Mod Comment

Stay well away from the nationality topic, this is not up for discussion.
    Read the Charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1220811987095097344

That's some serious shot from Rory. I wish I could hit a ball like that once in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hitting it beautifully from tee to green again today. Missed plenty of chances though. Still only two back as of this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another two cracking shots from Rory to set up an eagle putt at the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

3 behind Rahm going into the final round I'd still give him a half chance to claw it back but Rahm has been very solid so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1220811987095097344

That's some serious shot from Rory. I wish I could hit a ball like that once in my life

he wishes that he could win the board’s captains prize once in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Three bogeys in first four holes when in contention starting final round. That's the type of mental scarring he really does not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

The mental scarring was that bad he was -5 for the next 5 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Remind me wrote: »
    The mental scarring was that bad he was -5 for the next 5 holes

Like when it was a lost cause? He's shown exactly this before, goes on a great streak having started really poorly and is out of contention. Or playing a great round after having a mare on day one. Like in the Open, for example.

The mental scarring I was referring to refers to the next time he stands on the first tee on round 4 and in contention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Like when it was a lost cause? He's shown exactly this before, goes on a great streak having started really poorly and is out of contention. Or playing a great round after having a mare on day one. Like in the Open, for example.

The mental scarring I was referring to refers to the next time he stands on the first tee on round 4 and in contention.

Mental scarring :rolleyes: the hyperbole is laughable. I'm sure Rory as an 18 time PGA tour winner will be mentally scarred as a result of missing out on the Farmers.

Imagine the mental scarring Rahm must be suffering from having gone 4 over through 5, I'll say a prayer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement