Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswoman states America should be "more fearful of white men"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

notobtuse wrote: »
    Poor Bette. She really should stick to bubble of Hollywood types, hardcore progressives, extreme liberals and urban elites… and avoid the real world.

Well, at least one tinseltown resident had the guts to call her out on it.

https://twitter.com/kirstiealley/status/1154369323923922944

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so Trump is a racist but yet he pays black people to be at his rallies. That's a strange kind of racism. He clearly dosnt need the black vote so why would he bother? And if his supporters are all racists why would they want to see black people at his rallies? Curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

so Trump is a racist but yet he pays black people to be at his rallies. That's a strange kind of racism. He clearly dosnt need the black vote so why would he bother? And if his supporters are all racists why would they want to see black people at his rallies? Curious.

That’s the mentality of the liberal Democrat. It’s racist 24/7 do as I say not as I do hypocrisy.

So, she was asked:

Interviewer: 'A lot of conservatives would say our country should be more fearful of "Jihadist terrorism". What do you say to that?
    Interviewee: 'I would say our country should be more fearful of White men across our country'

So, it was a comparative statement. Do some people here actually believe violence by 'Jihadist terrorists' in the US is greater than violence by White men?

That said, she phrased her argument stupidly and ignorantly. While 64% of the US prison population is 'White', a proportionately far greater percentage of the prison population is 'Black'. She would have come across far more reasonable had she just pointed out the murder rate in the US by "Jihadist terrorists" compared to the murder rate by all the other sections, or something like that, without engaging in reverse racism by talking about "White men".

So, she was asked:

Interviewer: 'A lot of conservatives would say our country should be more fearful of "Jihadist terrorism". What do you say to that?
    Interviewee: 'I would say our country should be more fearful of White men across our country'

So, it was a comparative statement. Do some people here actually believe violence by 'Jihadist terrorists' in the US is greater than violence by White men?

That said, she phrased her argument stupidly and ignorantly. While 64% of the US prison population is 'White', a proportionately far greater percentage of the prison population is 'Black'. She would have come across far more reasonable had she just pointed out the murder rate in the US by "Jihadist terrorists" compared to the murder rate by all the other sections, or something like that, without engaging in reverse racism by talking about "White men".

If you compare all the deaths by white terrorist in America to all the deaths by Muslim terrorists in America. You will find far more deaths have occurred by Muslim terrorists than white terrorists.

And then if you compare all the deaths attributed to white terrorists in the world to Muslim terrorists. Well then it’s no contest. Who has killed more in the name of their ideology?

Going even further. All the security checks we have to go through, even going back to the 70’s is attributed to Muslim terrorists.

She can twist it which ever way she wants but you can’t argue with facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Of course the number of people killed by terrorism on US soil was 3,043 between 2001 and 2014, that includes 9/11.

In comparison 440,095 have been killed by firearms during same time period. On average there is more than one mass shooting per day in the US with more than 15,000 killed in such incidents in 2016 alone.

Congress don't seem to want to put any security measures in place to deal with gun violence.

As for increased security due to terrorism, yes but most of the money spent especially at airports is to give passengers the illusion of safety rather than actually protecting them.

It's done in comedic fashion but still informational

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yaqoub Oudeh

Khalida Jarrar

Bashir AL Khairi

Mahmoud Jaddah

Hasan Safadi.

Still waiting...

So, she was asked:

how about proportionally? so compared to their percentage of the whole population, who are the most likely to commit violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ....people killed by terrorism on US soil was 3,043 between 2001 and 2014, that includes 9/11.

In comparison 440,095 have been killed by firearms during same time period. On average there is more than one mass shooting per day in the US with more than 15,000 killed in such incidents in 2016 alone.

Fail to see the point of making this comparison, other than to perhaps highlight that new gun control laws in America are badly needed. Okay, fair enough, but how is that relevant to the topic?

Can't be to solidify Omar's contention about white men as blacks are responsible for more gun deaths than whites proportionality are (once you exclude suicide which accounts for almost two thirds of gun deaths). So, not sure what pointing out that more people are killed by firearms than terrorism actually does.

I know CNN are fond of pointing out that stat alright, just never saw the relevance of it, other than that is, to try and drown out any discussion that's taking place about terrorism. But but but... gun violence, seems to be something CNN do a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Of course the number of people killed by terrorism on US soil was 3,043 between 2001 and 2014, that includes 9/11.

In comparison 440,095 have been killed by firearms during same time period.

That's crazy when put like that. I would not have had that image in my head when you hear all the talk of terrorism and the fight against it.

(PS I hate airport security :) but I think we all do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Fail to see the point of making this comparison, other than to perhaps highlight that new gun control laws in America are badly needed. Okay, fair enough, but how is that relevant to the topic?

Can't be to solidify Omar's contention about white men as blacks are responsible for more gun deaths than whites proportionality are (once you exclude suicide which accounts for almost two thirds of gun deaths). So, not sure what pointing out that more people are killed by firearms than terrorism actually does.

I know CNN are fond of pointing out that stat alright, just never saw the relevance of it, other than that is, to try and drown out any discussion that's taking place about terrorism. But but but... gun violence, seems to be something CNN do a lot.

CNN and the other mainstream networks are the reason terrorism is ingrained in the public consciousness. If an incident happens there is wall to wall coverage for days on the cable networks.

The point of my post is to highlight the fact that despite the mass hysteria over terrorism, its still quite rare in the west. Even then all the money spent on counter-terrorism here in Europe and the USA is not being spent in the right areas. Our public buildings, airports, train stations, hotels, hospitals, shopping centres are sitting ducks for attack. When I was in India earlier this year you have to go security check points to pretty much enter any of the places I listed. In the US you can walk into airport baggage check off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Common sense will get you nowhere, here.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, an old clip is resurfaced and then the context changed.

The actual context was on terrorism from Jihadi terrorists. She pointed out, quite correctly, that white males are more likely to commit an act of terrorism by far within the USA. This is a plain and simple fact.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Sonics2k wrote: »

The actual context was on terrorism from Jihadi terrorists. She pointed out, quite correctly, that white males are more likely to commit an act of terrorism by far within the USA. This is a plain and simple fact.

What's the problem?

She's female, muslim, non white and left wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

batgoat wrote: »
    How extreme the party has become? Versus how moderate the GOP have become with Trump as their leader? The same guy who only went on a racist tangent against the squad last week? There's a reasonable possibility that his behaviour is having a more unifying influence on the Dems tbh.

Have you even seen the Democrat debates? They're all slathered in crazy. Plus there wasn't ONE US Flag on their set. You can't tell me with a straight face that they have the best interests of the US in mind. The Left have to take some measure of the blame for some on the Right going extreme. You can't have one side go absolutely nuts without other side going the same way to counter balance.

So, she was asked:

It wasn't a comparative statement. It was a thinly veiled attempt at deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Have you even seen the Democrat debates? They're all slathered in crazy. Plus there wasn't ONE US Flag on their set. You can't tell me with a straight face that they have the best interests of the US in mind. The Left have to take some measure of the blame for some on the Right going extreme. You can't have one side go absolutely nuts without other side going the same way to counter balance.

Holy jaysus preserve us......

Odhinn wrote: »
    Holy jaysus preserve us......

An intelligent thought provoking response as usual. :rolleyes:

was it a bit of an unguarded comment? yes.

was the releasing and lack of context a hatchet job? definitely.

but the american left dosnt have a leg to stand on in calling foul on hatchet jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It wasn't a comparative statement. It was a thinly veiled attempt at deflection.

Can you provide an actual example of this "crazy"? Eg this thread is literally an edited video and the substance of her point is pretty valid. Domestic white terrorists are one of the biggest threats in the US and there is an actively growing movement of white nationalists as demonstrated in Charlottesville.

BTW, the Democrats wouldn't be classified as "Left" by any European standard...

• Advertisement

of the biggest threats in the US and there is an actively growing movement of white nationalists as demonstrated in Charlottesville.
    i think the white nationalism thing is vastly over exaggerated. the KKK has somewhere between 3000 and 6000 members. Between 500 and 1500 people went to Charlottesville, a number dwarved by the protesters. Meanwhile, The Nation of Islam promotes black separatism and believes that white people were created by a Jewish scientist to harass black people. Their membership ia between 20 and 50 thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Sonics2k wrote: »

What's the problem?

:confused:

Whatever about her actual statement, thats an arseways look at things.
    There's a thread about dog attacks going at the minute, Golden Retrievers cause more serious injuries than pit bulls, does that mean that golden retrievers are more likely to commit a serious dog attack, no it means there is loads and loads of golden retrievers.

I'd be curious if anybody has links to changing attitudes within the American Muslim population, AFAIK they were previously generally Republican voters and fairly moderate coming from places like Iran during the revolution. Have social attitudes changed in that demographic. Despite my dog analogy lumping groups together often hides a lot.
    e.g in Europe the Turkish Grey Wolves are active, they would be generally from a Muslim background yet their ideology is much more ultra-nationalist than a religious based thing.

That’s exactly right. You can’t stoke the fire, and fan the flames and not expect white extremists to go all ape****. With those kind of statement.

On a similar point. It occurred to me how she’s constantly deriding Israel, and the Jews. Calling the detention centres consecration camps.

I’m yet to hear her call out China on their quite frankly, despicable treatment of Chinese muslims. I’m mean if she thinks the detention centres are bad and the Israelis are bad. They ain’t got nothing on China and it’s internment camps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

mad muffin wrote: »
    That’s exactly right. You can’t stoke the fire, and fan the flames and not expect white extremists to go all ape****. With those kind of statement.

On a similar point. It occurred to me how she’s constantly deriding Israel, and the Jews. Calling the detention centres consecration camps.

I’m yet to hear her call out China on their quite frankly, despicable treatment of Chinese muslims. I’m mean if she thinks the detention centres are bad and the Israelis are bad. They ain’t got nothing on China and it’s internment camps.

Calling the concentration camps what they are is not "deriding Jews"...

They're not Concentration Camps. The migrants can leave and return home whenever they want to. You want an example of how insane Liberals have become? Consult a mirror. Comparing the Detention Centers to Concentration Camps where tons of horror was committed is proof of insanity [or just ideological stupidity]

They're not Concentration Camps. The migrants can leave and return home whenever they want to. You want an example of how insane Liberals have become? Consult a mirror. Comparing the Detention Centers to Concentration Camps where tons of horror was committed is proof of insanity [or just ideological stupidity]
    its also makes a mockery of the millions who perished in the holocaust

its also makes a mockery of the millions who perished in the holocaust

Especially calling the guards nazis. When they are 90% Latino and vote Democrat.

Way to demonise your voter base.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh no! Please! Please! Please! Don’t tell you you truely believe that :(

Creepy joe who can’t keeps his hands and lips to himself? Who tried to stop bussing in black kids to schools?

Communist millionaire frothing at the mouth mad for trumps head sanders. Who advocates $15 an hour minimum wage, but doesn’t pay it to his staff?

Kamala I’m black Harris? Who is of Indian extractions, but identifies bizarrely now black. Who just recently criticised trump for breach of power, after Kanye West ask trump if he could see and help a$ap rocky an American citizen in Sweden. Yet is always going on about how trump isn’t doing anything to help illegal immigrants.

No my friend. The dems are looney tunes.

As usual lies and half-truths.

1) Sanders is not a communist;
    2) Harris's father is Jamaican - she's half Indian-American;
    3) The level of mental gymnastics that relates A$AP Rocky to illegal immigration is immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Dumbest ****ing post I've read in a long time. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Firstly, the term concentration camp is not confined to the concentration camps/ and eventual Extermination camps in Germany. Concentration camps have existed in numerous countries. Just use Google.

Secondly, migrants can't just leave. Migrants in detention facilities are in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and attempting to leave a facility without authorization is a criminal offense. The option of "voluntary departure" is blocked off to many by significant legal and financial barriers, and the entire process is subject to the authority and discretion of immigration officials and courts. Migrants cannot simply "leave at any time."

Finally, stop reading the tweets of right wing reactionaries and pick up an actual academic text book which documents the rise of right wing nationalism.

Advertisement