Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sorbet

Just entered for the South Dublin 10k. Had originally entered the other two races in the series thinking that I didn't need to bother with a 10k but with my new found addiction to determining correct pacing ;) thought I'd join in.

Noticed that there is a closing date for it of this Friday and thought I should pass on in case anyone wasn't aware;

South Dublin 10K

Grange Castle Business Park (www.grangecastle.ie)

Sunday 21st July at 10.35am in Clondalkin. Entries close 5th July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Did my first marathon pace miles this morning and they were not easy. I can kiss goodbye to any notion of a 4:30 marathon right away.

I ran my easy run last night with a friend which resulted in a faster-than-usual run which was a mistake I wont be repeating. Maybe the weather also played a part. I am so tired.

Edited to add that I am also happy with myself for sticking to pace more or less. I was about 30sec faster sometimes, then would slow down to end up 30sec slower. Trying to get the pace right was tricky but the overall pace per mile was right. This will get easier as the weeks go on I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Don't give up on that after the first MP run. Your recent 5km shows pace isn't an issue and you'll build the endurance with the plan. There are days when MP will feel rubbish, and there will be days when it feels great.

As you said, you ran faster than usual last night, and depending what time that was at, perhaps not allowing a full 24 hours between runs will even affect you. Keep the chin up, even if felt hard you went out and got it done.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Don't give up on that after the first MP run. Your recent 5km shows pace isn't an issue and you'll build the endurance with the plan. There are days when MO will feel rubbish, and there will be days when it feels great.

As you said, you ran faster than usual last night, and depending what time that was at, perhaps not allowing a full 24 hours between runs will even affect you. Keep the chin up, even if felt hard you went out and got it done.

Thank you ReeReeG and apologies for coming across so negative. Heh, more evidence of the tiredness. I actually am very pleased to have gone out and done the run, in the type of weather that I would have avoided in the past. That, to me, shows great progress.

As you say, there is plenty of time to increase endurance. We are only at week 2. And I'm really looking forward to being fitter than ever. There are also a lot of factors at play including your correct assumption that there wasn't 24hrs rest in between both runs.

Anyway, I honestly don't mind if 4:30 is a non runner this year because it will be one day. Just glad to be part of it and want to enjoy it. And hopefully the heatwave goes away soon :P

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Anyway, I honestly don't mind if 4:30 is a non runner this year because it will be one day. Just glad to be part of it and want to enjoy it. And hopefully the heatwave goes away soon :P

Great attitude, and you're not afraid of the work anyway! I think you'll surprise yourself along the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

I had a similar experience this morning, running my first 3 miles at PMP (that's 5:40/km for me)
    I had trouble with pacing, all of it was too fast, so the total pace including the mile warm up and mile warm down was 5:41/km :eek:

jackc101 wrote:
    I had a similar experience this morning, running my first 3 miles at PMP (that's 5:40/km for me) I had trouble with pacing, all of it was too fast, so the total pace including the mile warm up and mile warm down was 5:41/km

Practice, practice, practice. Do you use a watch that you can set up pace bands on? It can be helpful to let you know when you're going too fast, and it will beep so much you'll be annoyed into keeping it right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Ya, pacing still an issue for me. I find I'm constantly looking at the watch making sure I'm going the correct pace.

Warm up @ 8'30 m/m and PMP @ 7'40.

I ran the first 1/4 mile of PMP and said I wouldn't look at my watch to see if I could do it by feel looked at the watch and I was at 6'30, I'm sure it'll get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Did my first marathon pace miles this morning and they were not easy. I can kiss goodbye to any notion of a 4:30 marathon right away.

I ran my easy run last night with a friend which resulted in a faster-than-usual run which was a mistake I wont be repeating. Maybe the weather also played a part. I am so tired.

Edited to add that I am also happy with myself for sticking to pace more or less. I was about 30sec faster sometimes, then would slow down to end up 30sec slower. Trying to get the pace right was tricky but the overall pace per mile was right. This will get easier as the weeks go on I'm sure

Don't worry at all about this

I did a 5k race 7 weeks ago and at the time hit roughly what I had hoped for marathon pace. Currently I am running the same pace at roughly HM effort and don't expect it to feel like MP for roughly another 7 weeks. As long as you keep plugging away you will surprise yourself with how the fitness comes along.

Think of it like rolling a snowball. Takes alot of effort to get going but once you do as long as you keep it rolling the fitness will grow bigger and bigger before your very eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭py

For those uploading your workouts to either Strava or Training Peaks, if you have a premium account you should check out the Fitness & Freshness (Strava - set it to heart rate and 6 month period) or Performance Management Chart (Training Peaks, no url for this as I'm not a premium member at this time). You should see the effect that your workout or rest days have on your fitness/fatigue levels. Whilst it is early days, if you're following your plan as required you should be seeing your fitness levels slowly creeping up whilst your fatigue should remain steady (again, provided you've not been going off plan). The gradual approach to the plans is to manage fatigue. If any of you have done races recently and have access to either of the charts, you should see a big spike in both fitness and fatigue with the latter taking a few days to subside.

• Advertisement

I just realised I did one mile too many this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Smothered with a cold all week. Havent been able to get out, very frustrating:(:(. Better to miss a run or two early on I suppose. I presume its better to just take up plan when feeling better rather than squeezing extra runs in to make up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

KGC wrote: »
    Smothered with a cold all week. Havent been able to get out, very frustrating:(:(. Better to miss a run or two early on I suppose. I presume its better to just take up plan when feeling better rather than squeezing extra runs in to make up for it?

Yep, when they’re gone, they’re gone. There’s no point in chasing lost miles, so just pick the plan back up when you’re able and be careful you don’t too much when you’re back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

any advice or tips on running posture?

Soulsun wrote: »
    any advice or tips on running posture?

There are a couple of "methods" out there that I've read about.

Pose method

Chi running

I'm sure there are more and I've no preference to either of the above. What I've found works for me is to relax my upper body and then the lower part goes on auto pilot. That includes shoulders being relaxed, arms swinging but tight to the body, open palms on each hand (creating a fist tenses muscles), head up with relaxed and open jaw (again avoiding tensing muscless, so it tends to bob open). This works for me, it may or may not for other people. I'm not even sure it's 100% correct but it's worked for me as I've built up from nothing in late 2018 to being able to do ~30Km per week with the DCM plan without any discomfort whilst running or afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Huzzah! wrote: »
    As in race it all out? Not a great idea as that would mean two tough runs back to back, which would be an injury risk.

Ok so obviously i don't want to jeopardise my DCM training so i will try my very very best to run Sundays race at my easy pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ok so obviously i don't want to jeopardise my DCM training so i will try my very very best to run Sundays race at my easy pace :)

It's very good practice. All going well, at the start of DCM, you will feel fresh and full of running and will need to hold yourself back. Use Sunday as an opportunity to practice.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's very good practice. All going well, at the start of DCM, you will feel fresh and full of running and will need to hold yourself back. Use Sunday as an opportunity to practice.

This is gonna take some will power haha but its all for the bigger picture :D

This is gonna take some will power haha but its all for the bigger picture :D

I am running a half marathon race as an LSR on Saturday. I am going to be mortified crossing the line in a time that I could definitely beat if I just walked! :o And I am nowhere near as quick as you are, so I can't imagine how hard it will be for you. But ...eyes on the prize. We are in it together!

Good luck on Sunday!

I am running a half marathon race as an LSR on Saturday. I am going to be mortified crossing the line in a time that I could definitely beat if I just walked! :o And I am nowhere near as quick as you are, so I can't imagine how hard it will be for you. But ...eyes on the prize. We are in it together!

Good luck on Sunday!

Thanks a mill and best of luck to you too on Sat :D

• Advertisement

This was suggested to me as an option or i could just skip the race altogether??

Rest tomorrow, 3 miles very easy (10 min miles) on Saturday, 2 miles very easy straight before race as a warm up, race and 2 more recovery miles as a cooldown within 15 mins of finishing race, 2 miles recovery pace??

This was suggested to me as an option or i could just skip the race altogether??

Rest tomorrow, 3 miles very easy (10 min miles) on Saturday, 2 miles very easy straight before race as a warm up, race and 2 more recovery miles as a cooldown within 15 mins of finishing race, 2 miles recovery pace??

What benefit does the race add towards building for the DCM?

py wrote: »
    What benefit does the race add towards building for the DCM?

It doesn't... as i have previously stated it was a race i had booked ages ago & forgot about...thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What other races are you doing before the marathon? I recall you mentioning a Half at some stage, any other ones planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It looks good to me. It gives you time on your feet over the weekend similar to the plan and a 5k doesn't take much recovery. Keep everything except the race itself at recovery pace over the few days. I wouldn't do it too often during the plan though. Enjoy it!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    What other races are you doing before the marathon? I recall you mentioning a Half at some stage, any other ones planned?

I am doing the race series but i am not here for the half marathon in the Phoenix park, which i did mention previously so i am doing a half marathon the week before, the 14th Sept i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I am doing the race series but i am not here for the half marathon in the Phoenix park, which i did mention previously so i am doing a half marathon the week before, the 14th Sept i think

Ratoath?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Well I was so skeptical about running slowly ... but I was so wrong. I usually run out too fast for 1k and spend 2-3k trying to get right again before trying to end with a fast run. The result is usually exhaustion and nothing about any of it is remotely nice. I have now had two evenings going slowly and it is so enjoyable! I feel wonderful and much stronger - so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭positron

py wrote: »
    There are a couple of "methods" out there that I've read about.

Pose method

Chi running

I'm sure there are more and I've no preference to either of the above. What I've found works for me is to relax my upper body and then the lower part goes on auto pilot. That includes shoulders being relaxed, arms swinging but tight to the body, open palms on each hand (creating a fist tenses muscles), head up with relaxed and open jaw (again avoiding tensing muscless, so it tends to bob open). This works for me, it may or may not for other people. I'm not even sure it's 100% correct but it's worked for me as I've built up from nothing in late 2018 to being able to do ~30Km per week with the DCM plan without any discomfort whilst running or afterwards.

Good videos.

I have looked at Chi running videos in the past, and found them all very interesting and it all made sense.

But.. it all changed when I went for a barefoot jog at the beach last night. I was out with kids enjoying the sunshine and decided to do a short run while kids were getting ready to get back in the car. And while I always knew the benefits of barefoot etc, barefoot running proponents always sounds a bit like vegans, hippies you know, that eccentric type of folks. But it really was a pleasant surprise. I started off feeling completely lost but within 5 minutes, everything changed, I found myself taking shorter, quicker steps, and leaning forward came naturally. I feel I run very differently and perhaps correctly barefoot than with shoes. That quick 4.5k is the most amount of fun I've had running in last 3 years I've been running.

I am not suddenly saying shoes are evil or anything, you do need shoes to protect yourself when you run on all sorts of surfaces, but when the weather, surface and everything else comes together, I would definitely recommend everyone to try barefoot, even if it's for a few minutes. You wouldn't regret it ( unless you cut yourself on a piece of glass or something, in that case, I am so sorry.. :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Well I was so skeptical about running slowly ... but I was so wrong. I usually run out too fast for 1k and spend 2-3k trying to get right again before trying to end with a fast run. The result is usually exhaustion and nothing about any of it is remotely nice. I have now had two evenings going slowly and it is so enjoyable! I feel wonderful and much stronger - so thank you!

Couldnt agree more. Was finally able to get out tonight for first run of the week. Was sick for a few days so really concentrated on not overdoing it. Pace was nice and steady the whole way. Strange to look at the average pace at the end and be really happy that it 15sec/km slower than last run!!!!!

Advertisement