Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Headed to the Roscommon 10 mile event yesterday. Super well organised and got loads for the entry fee - highly recommend to all for next year. Took it easy - pace overall 11:22/mile. Didn't tear off too fast at the start like I usually do and enjoyed it much more as a result. I even had a few chats along the way. Stopped for water at the tables and a few jellies here and there. At the finish, I definitely could have continued running...but once I stopped I got terrible cramps and pain in my left glute, down my left leg to my knee. It eventually subsided but very weary and feeling tender and a bit sore today. Shoulders achy too. Delighted today and tomorrow are rest days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Week 3 and a mere 111 days to go...

As Mr Guappa is on his hollybops, I’m stepping in to give the week three preview. Some big shoes to fill, so go easy on me.

REVIEW:

A big week where DCM sold out - again! It’s great to see that some of you were lucky enough to secure entries.

It looks like most of you are settling into the routine and rhythm of your respective plans. Those of you following the Boards plan had a crack at your first pace run. Some found it easier than others and this post from KSU (one of the forum’s most knowledgeable posters) was instructive: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110595543&postcount=850

Let us know how you got on. I’ll repeat Mr Guappa’s homework from last week and ask you to answer the following questions in relation to week two:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

THE WEEK AHEAD:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|3m easy|rest|5m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|5m with 5 x hill sprints|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|13m lsr|2m rec

HHN1
    This week sees the midweek run increase from three to four miles and a step back to five for the LSR. Enjoy :)

Boards Plan:
    The plan this week sees you increase the Thursday easy run by one mile and the lsr by three miles. You will also do hill sprints on Wednesday. My preference is to do these towards the end of the run but whatever you decide:

- make sure you are thoroughly warmed up for these.
    - pick a hill in advance. Ideally, it will be pretty steep. Think: short and sharp.
    - these are done fast, but not for long. Think of the sprint for the line at the end of a race.
    - count slowly to 8 or 10 for each sprint. There is no benefit in doing them for longer and no need to use your watch.
    - after each sprint, walk back or jog very slowly. Recover completely before you start the next one.
    - really focus on form: drive the arms to propel you up the hill, lift the knees high and keep the shoulders relaxed. Don't strain.

Happy running!

Headed to the Roscommon 10 mile event yesterday. Super well organised and got loads for the entry fee - highly recommend to all for next year. Took it easy - pace overall 11:22/mile. Didn't tear off too fast at the start like I usually do and enjoyed it much more as a result. I even had a few chats along the way. Stopped for water at the tables and a few jellies here and there. At the finish, I definitely could have continued running...but once I stopped I got terrible cramps and pain in my left glute, down my left leg to my knee. It eventually subsided but very weary and feeling tender and a bit sore today. Shoulders achy too. Delighted today and tomorrow are rest days!

Well done! This is a super important lesson to learn in advance of DCM.

Recover well after your efforts. Over the next few weeks on your runs, make a conscious effort to relax your shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Six days completed again. Happy with the consistency so far.

Pace all seemed good. Long run was the Clontarf half so a bit longer than plan. Probably ran a bit too hard for the last mile considering I was running at the very fast end of my easy pace based on McMillan and a good minute a mile faster than most long runs. Seem to have come through unscathed though.

Any tips for a spot for hill sprints in Dublin city center? Only place I can think might work is Christchurch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Pace all seemed good. Long run was the Clontarf half so a bit longer than plan. Probably ran a bit too hard for the last mile considering I was running at the very fast end of my easy pace based on McMillan and a good minute a mile faster than most long runs. Seem to have come through unscathed though.

Any tips for a spot for hill sprints in Dublin city center? Only place I can think might work is Christchurch?

Is the Phoenix Park too far for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is the Phoenix Park too far for you?

Yeah, I think it’s a bit out of range. I’d be starting and finishing around Dawson St.

Yeah, I think it’s a bit out of range. I’d be starting and finishing around Dawson St.

Then Christchurch is probably your best bet...use the steepest part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yes did all my runs to plan - 5 runs in total

Yes i was happy enough with the paces i ran at, enjoying the plan so far!! Good luck to everyone going into week 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

Good week 2. Got all the runs in despite being away.

Forgot to bring watch charger on holiday 🀀

Like a tree falling in the woods when no one is there to see it....is a run that doesn't make it to Strava really a run 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Week 2 all runs completed.
    Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yup, easy runs at ~6min/Km and LSR was ~6:30min/Km.

For the week ahead it looks like it's going to stay warm but good chance of rain throughout the week, decent running weather so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Hi Guys,

My name is Aisling and I'm training to run DCM and my very first marathon!!

I've raced before (half marathon x 3, few 10ks only) with my personal best for 21k at 2.18. Depending on my frame of mind, I sometimes need to take walk breaks but try my very best to stay away from the urge - which I'm sure we all know is a challenge in itself! Currently training 4 times a week and have been following the Novice 1 plan, along with the help of a friend (also doing his first marathon). Previous to that I would have been training 3/4 times a week, mix of gym and running.

It would be the dream to finish strong and not hate the whole thing....My biggest concern to date is getting my head in a 'I can't do it, what am I at?' attitude on race day. I would love to set myself a time of 4.30 but i'll take an enjoyable experience over beating a time target.

I'm doing the marathon for a challenge. To prove to myself that I can do things once I put my mind to it....and also for the fun and high at the end of it all!

I look forward to 'virtually' meeting you all and helping each other with achieving our goals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Week 3 and a mere 111 days to go...

As Mr Guappa is on his hollybops, I’m stepping in to give the week three preview. Some big shoes to fill, so go easy on me.

REVIEW:

A big week where DCM sold out - again! It’s great to see that some of you were lucky enough to secure entries.

It looks like most of you are settling into the routine and rhythm of your respective plans. Those of you following the Boards plan had a crack at your first pace run. Some found it easier than others and this post from KSU (one of the forum’s most knowledgeable posters) was instructive: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110595543&postcount=850

Let us know how you got on. I’ll repeat Mr Guappa’s homework from last week and ask you to answer the following questions in relation to week two:

THE WEEK AHEAD:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|3m easy|rest|5m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|5m with 5 x hill sprints|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|13m lsr|2m rec

HHN1
    This week sees the midweek run increase from three to four miles and a step back to five for the LSR. Enjoy :)

Boards Plan:
    The plan this week sees you increase the Thursday easy run by one mile and the lsr by three miles. You will also do hill sprints on Wednesday. My preference is to do these towards the end of the run but whatever you decide:

- make sure you are thoroughly warmed up for these.
    - pick a hill in advance. Ideally, it will be pretty steep. Think: short and sharp.
    - these are done fast, but not for long. Think of the sprint for the line at the end of a race.
    - count slowly to 8 or 10 for each sprint. There is no benefit in doing them for longer and no need to use your watch.
    - after each sprint, walk back or jog very slowly. Recover completely before you start the next one.
    - really focus on form: drive the arms to propel you up the hill, lift the knees high and keep the shoulders relaxed. Don't strain.

Happy running!

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? yes..had to push LSR out till today but got it done.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace
    Yes I'm finally getting a handle on the slow runs.

looking forward to the week ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Did you get in all the runs on your plan? Yes - did more miles than required.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? 11.27 - 12.12 is the pace recommended for me on McMillan for easy runs (which I am assuming is what the mid week runs are on Hal Higson plan - if I am wrong please let me know!). My first 3m was too slow - 13.01. Second 3m was perfect - 11.42 and 3rd 3m was slightly too fast 11.25. Did the Roscommon 10m on Saturday - 11.22 pace which is 5 seconds faster than my goal marathon pace (11:27) and slightly faster than the 11.30 recommended for a LSR on McMillan.

Looking forward to the week ahead.

Well done on Clontarf. Feel free to keep the start of the week at a super easy/recovery effort if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

huzzah

Do you recommend a recovery run the day after a LSR?

Did you get in all the runs on your plan? Yes - did more miles than required.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? 11.27 - 12.12 is the pace recommended for me on McMillan for easy runs (which I am assuming is what the mid week runs are on Hal Higson plan - if I am wrong please let me know!). My first 3m was too slow - 13.01. Second 3m was perfect - 11.42 and 3rd 3m was slightly too fast 11.25. Did the Roscommon 10m on Saturday - 11.22 pace which is 5 seconds faster than my goal marathon pace (11:27) and slightly faster than the 11.30 recommended for a LSR on McMillan.

Looking forward to the week ahead.

Well done on slowing down the runs. 13 minute miles are certainly not too slow, so no need to worry about that run. We’re recommending to runners here to to run at the slower end of the paces recommended by McMillan, so I’d try and not go faster than 12 minute miles and even 12:30 if you can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

A good week of running with 38 miles total across five runs, all easy except for a hill session on Tuesday.

Today's long run was 14.5 miles, the longest I've done at least in the last three years. It was a bit of a slog in parts, mostly because of trying to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone. My house is uphill from most of the rest of Dublin so whichever route I take I'll always be finishing with a couple of uphill miles. I ended up really shuffling along today at over 11:30 minute miles for the last two miles, to keep my heart rate from going up into the next zone. At one point about three quarters of a mile from my house I genuinely wondered if I would ever make it, as I just seemed to be making no progress.

The other miles were OK and mostly done at around 10:30 - 10:40 pace, which felt fine. I took my first ever gel - one of the aqua ones - around 2.5 miles from my house. The weird texture nearly made me gag, but just because it was unexpected - it won't be so bad the next time. It didn't seem to have any effect on my stomach. I'll take one earlier in the run the next time and see how it goes.

The other thing I noticed about the gel was how heavy it was to carry. (I know the aqua ones are heavier.) I started out with it in my shorts pocket but I had to stop and take it out as it was making the waistband of my shorts move up and down with every step, and I was worried about chafing. I ended up putting it in my phone armband and that worked fine - I think I'll probably carry them there from now on.

Next week is another step back week for me, as I signed up for the Day of Irish PBs on Sunday. Probably around 25 miles in total, with no long run, then back to increasing mileage the following two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Did your run all your runs ?
    No ,unfortunately, but added km to each of mid week runs and 2km to lsr , so ended up doing the required mileage

Pace
    Kept to pace 7min/km mid week and 7:15/7:30 for lsr, so I'm happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Did you get in all the runs on your plan?
    I was one run short due to a busy week.. But happy I even got 4 runs in. Time will be freer after next week so its full steam ahead.

LSRs seem to be all happening on Sundays for various reasons, out for 11 miles this evening and felt good.

I'm getting better, I find it quite easy to slow on the LSR.. almost like subconsciously I know I'm in for the long haul, so don't push it.

Midweek runs need more discipline. I've possibly been getting away with it because that's two weeks of 4 runs, not 5. That extra day a week could cause me issues if i don't slow down from next week.

Overall, really enjoying it...and a 60 minute sports massage booked tomorrow! Hamstrings badly in need of attention

I was one run short due to a busy week.. But happy I even got 4 runs in. Time will be freer after next week so its full steam ahead.

LSRs seem to be all happening on Sundays for various reasons, out for 11 miles this evening and felt good.

I'm getting better, I find it quite easy to slow on the LSR.. almost like subconsciously I know I'm in for the long haul, so don't push it.

Midweek runs need more discipline. I've possibly been getting away with it because that's two weeks of 4 runs, not 5. That extra day a week could cause me issues if i don't slow down from next week.

Overall, really enjoying it...and a 60 minute sports massage booked tomorrow! Hamstrings badly in need of attention

I'll reply to you but it is for general consumption really. The idea of running slow is not just to reduce the risk of fatigue and injury. It's to help make the physiological adaptations to run for 4/5/6 hours. It's to train the aerobic system which you need for long distance running.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi all!

Did you get all your runs in? If not, why not?
    Bear with me on this one... I have explained this before but just to get it all in one place here! I'm planning on following the HHN1 Marathon Plan, but I had signed up for the Clontarf HM aaages ago to motivate me to get up to the miles I needed to be up to before starting the Marathon Plan... confused yet? The Clontarf HM was yesterday.
    So, up until yesterday I was actually following the HHN1 Half Marathon Plan. This meant the past week was a taper week. I adjusted days a little bit so that I'd get the required 2 rest days prior to the half marathon. And... I couldn't resist a recovery jog today!
    So, the week went like this:
    Monday: 4 miles easy; 12.02 min/mile
    Tues: 3 miles easy; 11.30 min/mile
    Wednesday: 2 miles easy; 11.21 min/mile
    Thurs and Fri: Rest (huh... fat chance..."rest" is a relative term in this house!:rolleyes:)
    Saturday: 13.1 miles, pushing it a bit (for me!), seeing as it's a race; 11:33 min/mile
    Sunday: 3 miles very, very easy recovery; 12:42

Did you run at appropriate paces?
    Yes, I think so. I'm running to heart rate, so that dictates my speed.

The Clontarf Half Marathon was a great experience really. It's the furthest I have ever run :o
    I went out pretty easy, with the intention of using the race as a long slow-ish run. Looking back over the splits, I kept a really good consistency in pace throughout (average 11:33 min/mile), and whilst I realise this is not at all fast, the thing that stuck out to me was that I didn't really get any slower as the race went on, and I finished feeling pretty good and strong. Yay!
    The soft sand at each end of the beach section was a bit of a drag, but short-lived. I lived right beside the beach for many years, and did loooads of running on hard sand, so I loved most of the beach bit! I'd great support from family too, as I'm originally from the area, so they hopped on and off buses, and cycled, to bring them up and down the course, popping up at unexpected places to cheer me on, much to my delight :D
    Chip Time: 2:31:03 :)
    I did struggle though, with an ongoing problem I'm having with tummy pains as I run...sharp, radiating cramps just under my diaphragm... appeared after Mile 1, and stayed with me until about Mile 4, then disappeared (which made the run so much more enjoyable!), then rejoined me from about Mile 9 right to the bloody end. I'm going to have to figure this out, as it has plagued me for years now, and the thoughts of battling the marathon itself with this feckin pain... ugh :(

So, that's the end of the Half Marathon Plan.
    I now have a bit of a dilemma. I've progressed up to LSRs of 9, 10, and 11 miles over this training block. If I do the HHN1 Marathon Plan as originally intended, I feel I'm dropping back on this hard-won consistency... so... Fab Mentors... is there anything to be said for doing the HHN2 plan instead?
    I'm a bit unsure about both HHN2 and the Boards Plan as I don't fully understand how the planned faster runs within these plans fit with my overarching wish to stick to heart rate training... I do a hills session every week as it is, but it's hills-in-reverse... run fast down them, jog back up them, to get the speed up without sending the BPM over threshold!
    I'd value your opinions :)

Well done to everyone on another week! And to everyone who raced over the weekend too! I know a couple of us can now call ourselves Half Marathoners after this weekend :p:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Missed one short run as I had a long cycle on this week and thought it better to have another rest day in advance of that.
    I believe so. For the undulating terrain of most of my runs I find running the uphills at 90 seconds per mile slower and the downhills 90 seconds per mile faster than whatever average pace I'm supposed to do seems to balance out and keeps the "feel" of the run constant.

For this week I'll be swapping the Wednesday and Saturday runs around as I have a parkrun tourist trip on Saturday along with a 10K (will be doing both at easy pace!) and I'd prefer not to interrupt my LSR by breaking it up.

kyomi wrote: »
    A good week of running with 38 miles total across five runs, all easy except for a hill session on Tuesday.

Today's long run was 14.5 miles, the longest I've done at least in the last three years. It was a bit of a slog in parts, mostly because of trying to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone. My house is uphill from most of the rest of Dublin so whichever route I take I'll always be finishing with a couple of uphill miles. I ended up really shuffling along today at over 11:30 minute miles for the last two miles, to keep my heart rate from going up into the next zone. At one point about three quarters of a mile from my house I genuinely wondered if I would ever make it, as I just seemed to be making no progress.

The other miles were OK and mostly done at around 10:30 - 10:40 pace, which felt fine. I took my first ever gel - one of the aqua ones - around 2.5 miles from my house. The weird texture nearly made me gag, but just because it was unexpected - it won't be so bad the next time. It didn't seem to have any effect on my stomach. I'll take one earlier in the run the next time and see how it goes.

The other thing I noticed about the gel was how heavy it was to carry. (I know the aqua ones are heavier.) I started out with it in my shorts pocket but I had to stop and take it out as it was making the waistband of my shorts move up and down with every step, and I was worried about chafing. I ended up putting it in my phone armband and that worked fine - I think I'll probably carry them there from now on.

Next week is another step back week for me, as I signed up for the Day of Irish PBs on Sunday. Probably around 25 miles in total, with no long run, then back to increasing mileage the following two weeks.

Hi Kyomi - that's a nice week - well done. Living in Stepaside, I can empathise with home always being at the top of a climb ;)

Do you think the slog on the long run was caused solely by trying to keep your HR in the correct zone?

Soulsun wrote: »
    huzzah

Do you recommend a recovery run the day after a LSR?

Hi Soulsun, I think stick to the plan at this point. If you want to do a 20 minute walk the day after a long run, it will aid the recovery process.

Nice work. Well done. Just in terms of midweek discipline and also the moving of long runs to Sunday, just make sure there's enough recovery between the recovery and the midweek session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got on 4 runs, HH plan, weekly planned km was 26, got just over 31 done.
    I'm also mixing it up a little, doing Mon/Tues/Thursday instead of Tues - Thursday, but plan on sticking to original plan once I sort out a Sunday plan (explained below)

I need to add in another exercise for Sunday instead of a rest; the gym membership ran out the start of the month and am in the process of getting a bike but could take a few weeks. I'd also like to look into some swimming, nearest is about 30 mins away but will be a good alternative form of exercise. Other than that, I'd go for a long walk or hike on Sundays with herself so it's not a complete rest anyway.

Monday: 6:01km 30:09
    Tuesday: 5.27km 29:18
    Thursday: 7km 38:34
    Saturday: 13:06km 01:19:39

Have to learn to slow it down a bit more I think? My ultimate aim is to finish and I would be delighted anything under 5:00 to be honest. But feeling really good after this week, not out of breath and no niggles after the runs. Even the 13KM I felt no tightness or soreness after which is weird!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

All runs completed

Paces were good for the most part, although there'd be no harm slowing the LSR down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I got them all in but not in order as per the plan. The long runs at the weekend don't really suit me, so will probably move the majority of these to Friday's.

3 miles @ 8.40 m/m
    5 miles (2 miles w/u and c/d @ 8.30 m/m and 3 at PMP 7.38 m/m)
    10 miles @ 8.55 m/m
    2 miles @ 9.10 m/m
    3 miles @ 8.45

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

No only got out for 3 runs again this week! Travelling for work and a funeral in the family meant i didn't get the 4th run in.

Paces where good for the most part. Midweek runs at 10:30 and long run (7 miles) at 11:00.

One question. I am always bursting to go to the toilet at the end of the long run. Is there anything i can do to help this. Barley made it home this week. I go as much as i can before the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I got them all in but not in order as per the plan. The long runs at the weekend don't really suit me, so will probably move the majority of these to Friday's.

3 miles @ 8.40 m/m
    5 miles (2 miles w/u and c/d @ 8.30 m/m and 3 at PMP 7.38 m/m)
    10 miles @ 8.55 m/m
    2 miles @ 9.10 m/m
    3 miles @ 8.45

Is this the order they were done in? What gap was between the PMP run and long run?

Advertisement