Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,027 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to boards.ie and a nice first post :)
    handpref wrote: »
    I have 5kws of solar panels but I could count the days on my fingers where I would be exporting enough to charge the car.

What makes you say that? On a fairly decent day like today your system will probably have generated about 20kWh - plenty to charge your car. And it is only March.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭handpref

unkel wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie and a nice first post :)

What makes you say that? On a fairly decent day like today your system will probably have generated about 20kWh - plenty to charge your car. And it is only March.

Thanks unkel, I have always found boards a great place for real information.
    I just checked my stats from yesterday and i generated 17.3kws and consumed 19.3kw. My battery reached 100% at 12 midday and held that until 4pm till the solar died off and house load took over. The battery held the house till 10pm.

I exported 5.2kw’s but only because my battery is set to fully charge on the night rate, the solar provider is supposed to monitor this and make changes accordingly. At the moment I am so annoyed at the installer for not processing my grant I’m too angry to want to talk to them. I’ve made at least fifty calls and emails. It’s been going on a long time now and has unfortunately taken the good out of the project.

But getting back to your point the zappi would have been useful there yesterday, I’m lucky enough to be off during the summer so I’ll ususkly have some machine running to soak up any excess.

I will update my solar cost and savings on the renewables page when I hit the 12 month stage. Based on current projections and not including night time car charging the saving will be about €800 on the normal bill of €1720 annually. The house is all electric with two 3.5kw air to air heat pumps that give a year round house temp of 20-23 deg C in summer & winter.

The system cost €10,200 including vat and that was the price given just before the grant was announced and it was honored. Sadly the same system is now advertised as €13,000 which is disappointing to say the least and makes a mockery of the grant. It is actually acting as a disincentive to install solar which is far from ideal given our planets state of health. Imagine getting a 5.4kw solar set up and 5kwh of batteries for €6400 after the grant, that would be a much better incentive. However given my projection it would still be an eight year payback based solely on economic reasons with €800 saving a year x 8 years.

I was actually promised a free zappi by the solar sales guy but that never materialized..

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think i've come to the conclusion that the Rolec is the charger for me. I've no PV nor an electric shower, and the affordable zappi is tethered only (AFAIK), which wouldn't suit my driveway.

I've spec'd up a Rolec on https://evonestop.co.uk/
    32Amp
    Type 2
    Extras:
    - MIDI Approved kWh Meter
    - Changed the colour

Taxes and shipping brings it to £406.
    Is that good/Bad/typical?

What's the "18th Edition DC Monitoring Module", and it is required?
    Similar question about the "18th Edition Earthing". They sound like things I should include, but why would the only be optional if they're not required.
    Do I need either of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

18th Edition of the UK electrical wiring rule book. The DC bit is also required here (or if not yet, it will be). Not sure about the earth bit. Won't be any harm to have both anyway.

I think i've come to the conclusion that the Rolec is the charger for me. I've no PV nor an electric shower, and the affordable zappi is tethered only (AFAIK), which wouldn't suit my driveway.

I've spec'd up a Rolec on https://evonestop.co.uk/
    32Amp
    Type 2
    Extras:
    - MIDI Approved kWh Meter
    - Changed the colour

Taxes and shipping brings it to £406.
    Is that good/Bad/typical?

What's the "18th Edition DC Monitoring Module", and it is required?
    Similar question about the "18th Edition Earthing". They sound like things I should include, but why would the only be optional if they're not required.
    Do I need either of these?

Any other opinions on this? I'm collecting my EV on Saturday so I kinda wanna get my ass in gear around this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I've got two 32A Rolec Wallpods, worked flawlessly so far anyway, would recommend.

Re. the new wiring specs there's a statement on the Rolec site -
    "After careful consideration, we decided that all Rolec EV charge points installed from 1st January 2019 would include the new DC sensitive device and TT earthing facility as standard. This means that anybody installing a Rolec EV charging point will have the peace of mind and confidence in knowing that it fully complies with all current regulations."

Wonder if EVOneStop just have some 2018 models knocking around still. No harm having the latest version I assume.

Zenith74 wrote: »
    I've got two 32A Rolec Wallpods, worked flawlessly so far anyway, would recommend.

Re. the new wiring specs there's a statement on the Rolec site -
    "After careful consideration, we decided that all Rolec EV charge points installed from 1st January 2019 would include the new DC sensitive device and TT earthing facility as standard. This means that anybody installing a Rolec EV charging point will have the peace of mind and confidence in knowing that it fully complies with all current regulations."

Wonder if EVOneStop just have some 2018 models knocking around still. No harm having the latest version I assume.

Where did you buy yours? I'm trying to source one but EVOneStop is the only place I can find them. Can't find anywhere selling that mentions the "DC sensitive device and TT earthing facility as standard".

EVOneStop, with DC monitoring, Earthing, a KWh monitor, and a change of colour is coming in at £472.

Amazon have the Rolec 32A (no mention of DC monitoring, Earthing, KWh monitor or colour) for about €385.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can you link to what you're getting, so we can try compare apples with apples?

Good man.

I've used Midshire Electricals in the UK for my Rolec.
    Here's the link to the one you're looking at.

Now, you can't change colour, or add the monitoring module (whatever that is!).
    But the thing with Midshire is, when you select Ireland as your delivery address (+£18), they knock the VAT off! ;)

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Good man.

I've used Midshire Electricals in the UK for my Rolec.
    Here's the link to the one you're looking at.

Now, you can't change colour, or add the monitoring module (whatever that is!).
    But the thing with Midshire is, when you select Ireland as your delivery address (+£18), they knock the VAT off! ;)

Cheers. Looks similar to what Amazon are selling, but gives the option of adding the *MID Approved Meter kWh.

Zenith74 outlined what the DC monitoring module and TT earthing are above.

Seems the options so far are:
    Amazon @ €380 - no metering, DC monitoring, or earthing.
    www.midselec.co.uk @ £390 - With metering. No DC monitoring or earthing.
    evonestop @ £376 - With metering. No DC monitoring or earthing.
    evonestop @ £472 - With metering, DC monitoring and earthing. And includes £10 to change colour.
    evonestop @ £334 - no metering, DC monitoring, or earthing.

Need to talk to my sparks and see how necessary the DC monitoring and that 18th edition earthing are.

Well I have neither, and nothing has blown up yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The metering is an inbuilt kWh meter so you can monitor your usage. Its useful.

The DC monitoring is a new thing that has been added to the regs in the UK this year. I dont know if it applies to Ireland or not. Its extra safety. It doesnt mean all existing installs are unsafe but any new EVSE's going forward are supposed to have it (in the UK anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Very happy to report that I have got the charger fitted, and the €600 grant has been received into my bank account.

I bought all of the parts off eBay, at good discounts to price list. I went for original Porsche equipment (I have a Cayenne e-Hybrid) as I think it looks really well, compared to generic chargers. This is the same as what I now have on my wall https://www.plugincars.com/sites/default/files/home-dock-620.jpeg

I got the charger for £275 (with a 5M cable; the standard one is 3M but thats too short)
    I got the Porsche-branded wall unit, which houses the charger, also for £250
    Fitting cost about €220, but it was a very easy install as it is mounted on the wall directly outside where the fusebox is. Very happy to recommend the electrician who fitted it and filled out all the paperwork - PM me if you want his details.

So with conversion costs and parcelmotel charges, the total cost was about €850, with the grant reducing this to €250.

I had spent some time looking for the kit (at the right price) on eBay, and I know I got great bargains, but its good to know that SEAI will fund stuff that is purchased privately off eBay. I supplied copies of the eBay invoices to SEAI.

Thanks all.

Think i'll end up going for the Rolec, 32A with the KW metering only.
    Might put in an order for an 8 meter cable too. 5M might just about do at the house if I park a bit awkward, but the 8M cable should be put to good use.

This crowd have a sale on at the moment too:
    https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/by-car/hyundai-electric-cars/hyundai-ioniq-charging-cable/coiled-euro-type2-type2.html
    8meter coiled Type2, 32A cable for £170

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Hi folks

Is there a home charger that you can set charge schedules on, see kWh usage and app to see and set the above?
    Also connects by WiFi?

Not very obvious when I have gone looking. Think the zappi does this bar the WiFi?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

gar wrote: »
    Hi folks

Is there a home charger that you can set charge schedules on, see kWh usage and app to see and set the above?
    Also connects by WiFi?

Not very obvious when I have gone looking. Think the zappi does this bar the WiFi?

Cheers

Garo does an optional wifi module for their chargers. Looks like a raspberry pi too. Hmm.
    http://www.garo.se/en/accessories/wlan-communication-card1

OpenEVSE also has wifi and does what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

KCross wrote: »
    The metering is an inbuilt kWh meter so you can monitor your usage. Its useful.

The DC monitoring is a new thing that has been added to the regs in the UK this year. I dont know if it applies to Ireland or not. Its extra safety. It doesnt mean all existing installs are unsafe but any new EVSE's going forward are supposed to have it (in the UK anyway).

You'd want to ask that in the electrical forum on boards.
    There are new Irish regs published and coming into force later this year. They're called IS10101

Mostly these days regulation in Europe is somewhat more harmonised and new innovations tend to come from cooperation between national regulatory bodies at CEN, CENELEC and IEC. So you'll tend to find if there's a new rule in the UK it's very likely to appear elsewhere too, especially if it's to do with something like EV chargers, PV etc. The wiring rules here are laid down by the NSAI.

Ireland also has rather more restrictions on DIY work than the UK. Doing works that involve anything beyond work on an existing circuit here requires a registered electrical contractor. There have actually been criminal prosecutions for this.

Basically adding a new circuit to the distributon board (consumer unit) is classified as restricted work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Has anyone got a price from Electric Ireland for a 7kw installation? I'm not a customer at the minute but might switch over if the price was right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ET101 being updated in the next few months too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

kceire wrote: »
    ET101 being updated in the next few months too.

It was published for public consultation and those have now closed.

Also, if you're looking for it it's no longer called ET101 as NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland) took over the role.

It's now "I.S. 10101" so the next version would be I.S. 10101 : 2019

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anteayer wrote: »
    It was published for public consultation and those have now closed.

Also, if you're looking for it it's no longer called ET101 as NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland) took over the role.

It's now "I.S. 10101" so the next version would be I.S. 10101 : 2019

Cheers.
    Yeah we get sent a copy of it by RECI as we inspect building sites and the wiring of particular installs come up for question a lot. Particularly around solar PV on roof tops in apartment blocks.

Not much in the draft version on EV’s. Just load diversity IIRC.

Got my grant approval in the post today. At first glance, they don't seem to require proof of costs. Do they?
    It just seems to require the cost of labour, and cost of materials. I assume this is a combo of the electricians material expenses, and my expense when purchasing the charger?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,172 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Got my grant approval in the post today. At first glance, they don't seem to require proof of costs. Do they?
    It just seems to require the cost of labour, and cost of materials. I assume this is a combo of the electricians material expenses, and my expense when purchasing the charger?

Yup that's correct.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup that's correct.

Sweet! Now to briefly move money to revolut... :(

Got my grant approval in the post today.

Can I ask how long from application to approval?

marketty wrote: »
    Can I ask how long from application to approval?

I applied on Saturday/Sunday.

I applied on Saturday/Sunday.

That's great thanks, I'd heard 2/3 weeks!

marketty wrote: »
    That's great thanks, I'd heard 2/3 weeks!

Same. Had to read it a few times to be sure it was the offer letter.
    Titled "letter of offer to electric vehicle home charger scheme application"

Got my approval for the ESB card, so just waiting on that now. I guess may isn't a busy busy car buying period, compared to the rush of January/July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭randombar

Can someone PM me reasonably priced installers in Cork. Got an electrician friend of mine to install a while ago but he did as a nixer and cant sign off and I cant find someone to sign off on it for me for a reasonable amount.

Advertisement