Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,027 ✭✭✭✭zell12

motley wrote: »
    One leaking water pipe and the whole city has grounded to a halt. I have never experienced the traffic as bad as it is this evening.
    It's been worse during schoolbook buying season, during dead saint relics visiting, during novenas, that time a car crashed into Newcastle lights control, that time the Bodkin junction lights failed, or when the minister was two hours late, or this thread ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    What happened?
    Lights were off at the Briarhill/Parkmore junction - dangerous chaos, no garda directing traffic.

And a water main problem on the Headford Rd.

And a crash on either the Tuam or Headford rds (I know I saw info on Twitter, can't remember which).

During the day, I went to Ballybane and back, then Oranmore and back, by bus with no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,027 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Our esteemed Mayor has apologised on radio for the motor traffic upset yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

What mode of travel are ya using?

I'd take a guess at helicopter. What's your guess?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Twas fairly gridlocked in the city yesterday evening alright. Traffic jams places you'd never normally see them. Took the bus so was fine. Got out a bit before Eyre Square and walked. Don't sleep on the bus when available folks! Would probably still be trying to get home if I was in the car :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I'd take a guess at helicopter. What's your guess?

:rolleyes:

Let me see. Public transport? i.e One of the Galway City Bus Services

xckjoo wrote: »
    Took the bus so was fine. Got out a bit before Eyre Square and walked.
    How far was the walk from Eyre Sq?

How far was the walk from Eyre Sq?
    The bus hit traffic before Yates on College Road. Definitely worse than normal.

xckjoo wrote: »
    The bus hit traffic before Yates on College Road. Definitely worse than normal.

Have often seen people get off the 409/403 Bus's at the junction of Lough Atalia / College Road and walk into Eyre Sq. Daft that bus users have to put up with this.

Have often seen people get off the 409/403 Bus's at the junction of Lough Atalia / College Road and walk into Eyre Sq. Daft that bus users have to put up with this.

Ya they regularly hit traffic around the council buildings and start letting people hop off if they want to. Not too much of an issue for the young able, bodied among us, but not great if you're stuck on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Driving into the city this morning was a breeze with the schools off.
    Streets almost empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

biko wrote: »

Streets almost empty.

QFT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Very frustrating for Citylink and Gobus passengers coming down the final leg through College Road with it chock a bloc. Could be twenty minutes from Council to station. Some drivers will oblige and let you off if you have no luggage. Others won't. This adds to stress.

You could probably see the passengers from BE who got off at L Atalia and decided to leg it from there walk past you while you are stuck on bus.

zell12 wrote: »
    Our esteemed Mayor has apologised on radio for the motor traffic upset yesterday

The City Council apologised for delays due to the demolished traffic lights at Briarhill.

The apology was to motorists specifically, for some reason.

Of course lack of office space is a factor: that's why Bonham Quay is being built. And there are plans for the Crown site at Mervue, a whole new office park in Ballybane industrial and in Doughiska, and likely others I haven't remembered.

But the mentality of "oh no, we're losing jobs" to Limerick is nuts.

Limerick is a city: a far bigger one than Galway if you look at the proper (as opposed to official) boundaries. Of course Limerick will get some jobs - because people who live there or close to there should be working there.

Galway has a traffic problem precisely because there are lots of major employers in the city. Lots of employers means lots of potential jobs. Job opportunities mean people wanting to live in or near the city, enjoying all the amenities and perhaps raising a family.

That's where the traffic problem starts. Both Galway City and County Councils have spent decades organising everything around car ownership.

Want to live out in the countryside and commute into Parkmore, NUIG or UHG? No problem! Just have a car. Or two. Or even three.

Want to live in suburbia and have Johnny or Mary travel a relatively short distance to school? No problem! Just have a car. Or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Heard the mayor on galway bay fm this morning .
    what they need to do is LISTEN .
    Listen to people who are dealing with this issue 24x 7x 365 .
    (1) traffic lights need to be monitored 7.30 am to 9.30 am
    4pm to 7pm Monday to Friday or when there's event on in city at weekends ( pearse stadium events )
    (2) keep foster street/ eglinton street free from parking from 9am
    Let delivery ONLY vecihcles deliver their goods up to 9am
    (3) a strong zero tolerance (gardai / traffic wardens ) visable around the city
    (4) turn mill street / Dominic street / back the west into a one way system
    (5) remove the following roundabouts
    Bohermore / corrib park / corrib great southern / castlelawn heights / fort Lorenzo
    (6) bus lane from tuam road out to parkmore
    (7) cameras on all traffic lights to fine ALL Red light breakers
    .... What galway city needs above anything else is a traffic manager
    Someone with commonsense
    Someone with a vision
    If it's left to the local politicans or those already in city hall ... Well they have already proved that they are not up to the job !!!

biko wrote: »
    Streets almost empty.

Its even better when you walk or cycle on such days. The air is cleaner with less pollution, less noise from motor vehicles.
    It is the future.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Very frustrating for Citylink and Gobus passengers coming down the final leg through College Road with it chock a bloc. Could be twenty minutes from Council to station. Some drivers will oblige and let you off if you have no luggage. Others won't. This adds to stress.

You could probably see the passengers from BE who got off at L Atalia and decided to leg it from there walk past you while you are stuck on bus.

The City Council really need to get going on that BUS Gate for College Road. New signage, automatic bollards - could be done in weekend if they put there mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Heard the mayor on galway bay fm this morning .
    what they need to do is LISTEN .
    Listen to people who are dealing with this issue 24x 7x 365 .
    (1) traffic lights need to be monitored 7.30 am to 9.30 am
    4pm to 7pm Monday to Friday or when there's event on in city at weekends ( pearse stadium events )
    (2) keep foster street/ eglinton street free from parking from 9am
    Let delivery ONLY vecihcles deliver their goods up to 9am
    (3) a strong zero tolerance (gardai / traffic wardens ) visable around the city
    (4) turn mill street / Dominic street / back the west into a one way system
    (5) remove the following roundabouts
    Bohermore / corrib park / corrib great southern / castlelawn heights / fort Lorenzo
    (6) bus lane from tuam road out to parkmore
    .... What galway city needs above anything else is a traffic manager
    Someone with commonsense
    Someone with a vision
    If it's left to the local politicans or those already in city hall ... Well they have already proved that they are not up to the job !!!
    Council elections are coming, fancy standing for office?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Flazio ....as a taxpayer who contributes to the salaries of these people what I would expect is... FOR THEM TO BE CAPABLE TO DO THEIR JOB .
    I'm self employed .
    I'm good at my job .
    As a country we take poor service in every aspect of Irish life .
    This traffic fiasco has been going on for the past few years .
    What has been done ???? NOTHING
    Do you actually beleive that one person elected in local elections is going to make a DIFFERANCE to galway traffic ???

• Advertisement

Red light breakers must cause so much congestion. I know they think they aren't but the knock on effect of them blocking a junction must be massive. Repeat offenders should be made swap their cars for a tricycle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Groundhog Day
    Same ol same ol.
    I genuinely feel for the people stuck in yesterday's mess.
    It took me 12minutes to do 6miles home @1730 yesterday. I counted up to 62 single occupancy vehicles as I passed them then just gave up.
    People come on here and moan then do nothing about it and get shafted day in day out.
    I see a small minority that have copped on and started using 2 wheeled electric transportation and breezed past with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I'm usually on 2 wheels these days but have to drive across town today at 4 o clock. Have the lights been fixed and the burst pipe sorted?

I'm usually on 2 wheels these days but have to drive across town today at 4 o clock. Have the lights been fixed and the burst pipe sorted?

Lights are fixed.

I see a small minority that have copped on and started using 2 wheeled electric transportation and breezed past with no issues
    Started noticing this trend recently as well. Alot more of them about.

Started noticing this trend recently as well. Alot more of them about.
    A lot of the food delivery guys seem to be using them these days. Some of them even seem to be supplied by the company. Noticed a big increase in the last year. They're great by the way. Complete game changer for commuting by bike

Groundhog Day
    Same ol same ol.
    It took me 12minutes to do 6miles home @1730 yesterday. I counted up to 62 single occupancy vehicles as I passed them then just gave up.
    You on a motorbike or a helicopter? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

You on a motorbike or a helicopter? :D

2 wheels and a battery
    €5/week cost of commuting
    Free parking
    Then something more powerful for fun at the weekends

2 wheels and a battery

Presumably a footplate as well?

I'll never ride a bicycle, for multiple reasons. But if the legal situation was cleared up, one of those electric scooter things could start to look very attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Heard the mayor on galway bay fm this morning . what they need to do is LISTEN . Listen to people who are dealing with this issue 24x 7x 365 . (1) traffic lights need to be monitored 7.30 am to 9.30 am 4pm to 7pm Monday to Friday or when there's event on in city at weekends ( pearse stadium events ) (2) keep foster street/ eglinton street free from parking from 9am Let delivery ONLY vecihcles deliver their goods up to 9am (3) a strong zero tolerance (gardai / traffic wardens ) visable around the city (4) turn mill street / Dominic street / back the west into a one way system (5) remove the following roundabouts Bohermore / corrib park / corrib great southern / castlelawn heights / fort Lorenzo (6) bus lane from tuam road out to parkmore (7) cameras on all traffic lights to fine ALL Red light breakers .... What galway city needs above anything else is a traffic manager Someone with commonsense Someone with a vision If it's left to the local politicans or those already in city hall ... Well they have already proved that they are not up to the job !!!

You forgot light sequence on all lights must be Red-Red&Amber-Green-Amber like everywhere else in Europe (including the UK) not Red-Green-Amber which is ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement