Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Another stunning lie from the man who has come back to not care about stuff. :rolleyes:
    So SF cannot be seen publicly with a loaf of Kingsmill on the day of the anniversary nobody connects the bread to?
    Because that is all he did, showed himself publicly with Kingsmill bread. He did nothing else.
    'Most' IRA soldiers obeyed the law too and engaged with the British Army, only a few bad apples did stuff they shouldn't have. i.e. Kingsmill, Jerry McCabe etc.

We can all play the 'bad apple' game.

Fcking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Fcking hell.

I know right.

This was also the same guy who was calling all Catholic's Paedo lovers or words to that effect during the Pope's visit....

I like having him around though, makes me look quite sane.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,288 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fcking hell.

I have no problem standing over those posts...in which there is NO failure to condemn the Kingsmill atrocity nor any condoning of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would anybody let alone an Irish person want to do this?

Weird.

I'd drink to your health too.
    I have no animosity personally to the Queen, a symbolic role at best, though quite why any state would want a monarchy is beyond me.
    I wouldn't bow or curtsy to any person either.

Kingsmill....meh, just a few bad apples, eh Francie? :) ROFL

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    I'd drink to your health too.
    I have no animosity personally to the Queen, a symbolic role at best, though quite why any state would want a monarchy is beyond me.
    I wouldn't bow or curtsy to any person either.

If you wouldn't bow or curtsy, why do you have a problem with not using deferential titles?
    Toasting the queen is not a toast to her personally, it is a toast to her position and the institution itself.

I have no problem standing over those posts...in which there is NO failure to condemn the Kingsmill atrocity nor any condoning of it.

FrancieBrady completely shredding his credibility himself. Amazing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its not the poppy per say just those who insist everyone else must wear one and jeer those who refuse to do so as James Mcclean has found out to his cost which in the circumstances is the correct stance to take.

Berserker wrote: »
    Are you a judge FrancieBrady? You sound like one. Tommy has one hundred convictions but he obeys the law most of the time, so I'll give him a suspended sentence.

...Good Republicans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I know right.

'Most' IRA soldiers obeyed the law too and engaged with the British Army, only a few bad apples did stuff they shouldn't have. i.e. Kingsmill, Jerry McCabe etc.

We can all play the 'bad apple' game.

Are you a judge FrancieBrady? You sound like one. Tommy has one hundred convictions but he obeys the law most of the time, so I'll give him a suspended sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

FrancieBrady completely shredding his credibility himself. Amazing to watch.

his what?

The concerted effort to drag the thread off a topic the monarchists don't like being discussed continues. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I won't be aiding you lads.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Its not the poppy per say just those who insist everyone else must wear one and jeer those who refuse to do so as James Mcclean has found out to his cost which in the circumstances is the correct stance to take.

McClean has found to his cost what happens when you reject what the poppy charade has now come to support. He isn't the first either and won't be the last as British jingoism rises again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So much anger in this thread. Wasted lives apparent. Groups living in the past. Sad drunk men sitting in at the weekend refreshing the thread furiously so they can respond. Depressing.

If you wouldn't bow or curtsy, why do you have a problem with not using deferential titles?
    Toasting the queen is not a toast to her personally, it is a toast to her position and the institution itself.

I haven't, I just said how I'd refer to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Mutant z wrote: »

He's his own biggest enemy. Channel Four had presenters and guests who did not wear one last week on the broadcasts, no issue. Matic didn't wear one and on explaining why there was no issue. Waiting for him to stir up trouble on Thursday night when he warms the bench against NI.

Berserker wrote: »
    He's his own biggest enemy. Channel Four had presenters and guests who did not wear one last week on the broadcasts, no issue. Matic didn't wear one and on explaining why there was no issue. Waiting for him to stir up trouble on Thursday night when he warms the bench against NI.
    Indeed Matic got plenty of abuse for his decision 'Break the c**ts legs' being one charming tweet. The only reason he got off lighter than McClean is because he didn't criticise only the British Armies actions, but those of NATO's.
    What about the queen, who the poppy fascists are now beginning to attack for not wearing a poppy, when they think she should?
    Is she 'her own worst enemy'?

So much anger in this thread. Wasted lives apparent. Groups living in the past.

I'm reminded of a certain Cranberry song.

If this is representative of Sinn Fein voters in general it is concerning. We've had posters reveling in dead Irish men, feeling joy in their hearts at the rise of Fenianism, say that anyone who has a dissenting opinion is a member of the DUP or English. We've heard from the professional angry old man himself
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Hopefully with this brexit thing driving a further wedge between us and the Brits we'll see less and less of these sympathisers. I was fearing for the country under the next generation for a long time.

The rage against the British Empire as if it still exists is all pervasive. The poppy, which doesn't even really exist outside of Commonwealth countries, is used as the excuse by the far-right who as usual live in the past, with romanticized visions of bloodshed, defined by their antipathy rather than sympathy.

Of course this living in the past isn't exclusive to the republicans. I think we had one or two pro-union (with UK) people here too. It's as if this thread genuinely were from 100 years ago. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

If this is representative of Sinn Fein voters in general it is concerning. We've had posters reveling in dead Irish men, feeling joy in their hearts at the rise of Fenianism, say that anyone who has a dissenting opinion is a member of the DUP or English. We've heard from the professional angry old man himself

Get a grip! Our President and nearly the entire Irish establishment did not wear the British poppy yesterday, they are all SF voters now? :rolleyes:

klaaaz wrote: »
    Get a grip! Our President and nearly the entire Irish establishment did not wear the British poppy yesterday, they are all SF voters now? :rolleyes:
    The strategy is always to deflect it to SF. Predictable and tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

murpho999 wrote: »
    According to whom? To British monarchists.
    Well, yes. But you seem to have missed the point entirely. If you ever get the chance to address any member of the Royal Family, you will be advised on how to do so, and if you don't agree, you're out on your ear. Using the correct form of address is not a show of allegiance, it's good manners and respect for the office, like calling Donald Trump "Mr. President" even when he's being distinctly un-Presidential. Royal house, royal rules, like it or lump it. :rolleyes:

If you're so anti-monarchy or hate the UK so much that the traditional forms of address are offensive to you, you're never going to be in a position where you'd have to use them anyway - so your being offended is pointless. The UK Monarchy, like the UK as a whole, is not going to change or go away because you don't like it. The level of deluded self-importance on here is hilarious. They couldn't give a flying fig what the Irish commentators think about them.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    They couldn't give a flying fig what the Irish lumpenproletariat think about them.

And it seems to upset some Irish that other Irish don't give a fig, flying or otherwise, about what the house of Windsor or it's willing subjects at home or abroad thinks .
    It is quite clear that the HoW and it's subjects think very deeply about these title matters and protocol surrounding their 'class' and how the subservient interact with them. You have that protocol all written down for you to follow even. :rolleyes:

And it seems to upset some Irish that other Irish don't give a fig, flying or otherwise, about what the house of Windsor or it's willing subjects at home or abroad thinks .
    It is quite clear that the HoW and it's subjects think very deeply about these title matters and protocol surrounding their 'class' and how the subservient interact with them. You have that protocol all written down for you to follow even. :rolleyes:

given the amount of time you dedicate to these threads, you clearly do give a fig.

Aegir wrote: »
    given the amount of time you dedicate to these threads, you clearly do give a fig.

Not about what the HoC or it's loyal support thinks.

I do care about poppy fascism though and the rise of British jingoism that has so damaged the world.

Not about what the HoC or it's loyal support thinks.

I do care about poppy fascism though and the rise of British jingoism that has so damaged the world.

anti poppy fascism is every bit as irritating as poppy fascism to be honest.

People like you who rant on and on about it (whilst defending a memorial to an IRA bomber) are just as bad as those that give James McLean abuse for not wearing one to be honest.

Everyone has the right to either wear one, or not wear one, don't you agree?

klaaaz wrote: »

This thread. The poppy is not used outside of Commonwealth countries, you eejit. Most of the people who are thanking each other here explicitly define themselves as Sinn Fein supporters. I don't know about you specifically, although the likelihood would point to you being a SF voter, if you're old enough that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

The irony is seems to be lost here,republicans are told they are sad drunks who wont let the past go,they are told they should move on,yet the same loyalists are defending "rememberence" sunday and the selling of that vile poppy icon.move on lads,forget the past

https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-mcguinness-the-queen-handshake-belfast-northern-ireland-501388-Jun2012/

A big man MMG was, slan agus beannacht he said.
    Pity there weren't a few more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

This thread. The poppy is not used outside of Commonwealth countries, you eejit. Most of the people who are thanking each other here explicitly define themselves as Sinn Fein supporters. I don't know about you specifically, although the likelihood would point to you being a SF voter, if you're old enough that is.

I stopped taking your posts seriously when you said polish people were german when they were invaded,comedy hour is upon us

• Advertisement

The irony is seems to be lost here,republicans are told they are sad drunks who wont let the past go,they are told they should move on,yet the same loyalists are defending "rememberence" sunday and the selling of that vile poppy icon.move on lads,forget the past

And speak of the devil.
    Why would Ireland be looked upon in a bad light by the rest of the world if sinn fein got elected and ran the country? The British conservatives have governed Britain many times and there's fewer governments in the world that have committed more atrocities and have more blood stained luggage than them over history and I don't think the world frowns upon them too much.

Note his putting rememberence (sic) in inverted commas, painting everyone but themselves as loyalists, and claiming an ownership of history. And they say that Ireland doesn't have the same sort of populism as is infecting most of Europe?
    I stopped taking your posts seriously when you said polish people were german when they were invaded,comedy hour is upon us

Comedy..
    I hope that irish rugby team fails miserably. Its a disgrace that they can go on the world stage and call themselves ireland they are an embaressment to my country and unfortunatly the whole world will see it now. If they are gonna masquerade as "ireland" then they should sing my national anthem with pride., until then i think there should actually be a legal challange to them calling themselves ireland. Disgusting and embarressing in front of the whole world

As for your ignorance, I can't help you I'm afraid.

Advertisement