Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

motley wrote: »
    Anyone know what was going on with the traffic yesterday evening. It took forever/15 minutes to get across the bridge.

There was a crash on the Tuam Road, one incident in the city during rush hour and the whole city locks up within minutes. That's largely due to motorists running red lights and blocking up box junctions, obstructing routes that would otherwise not be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭McGiver

Of course we could try expecting people to do the right thing even if there's not a parent / teacher / cop standing there watching.

To have consideration for otjer people instead of being selfish a**holes.

Maybeeven not giving licences to people intil they can prove emitional maturity.

Or is that too difficult???

Or simply teach courtesy as part of driving lessons... And make it part of the driving test. It is already there but the weight of it is too small. You can't fail a tear by not showing courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tuesday was diabolical. Motorists taking stupid crazy risks on the roads and then have the gall to give out about insurance costs.
    It normally takes "forever/15 minutes to get across the bridge" when walking.

J o e wrote: »
    There was a crash on the Tuam Road, one incident in the city during rush hour and the whole city locks up within minutes. That's largely due to motorists running red lights and blocking up box junctions, obstructing routes that would otherwise not be affected.

Seriously, blocking junctions? Where's the fecking Gardaí. Watching football in the station probably.

This was at Tesco junction.
    Traffic from Sean Mulvoy Road has the green light and can't get through to the bridge.
    HAONy3Q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Are the 50km zones ever enforced anywhere in and around the city? They are totally ignored in 90% of cases in my experience.

Saw a stream of cars overtaking someone who had the gall to drive at 55 in a 50 zone this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Are the 50km zones ever enforced anywhere in and around the city? They are totally ignored in 90% of cases in my experience.

Saw a stream of cars overtaking someone who had the gall to drive at 55 in a 50 zone this morning.

That seems to be the only use for bus lanes in Galway. If you drive the limit, you will be overtaken by cars on the bus lane who are clearly more important than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

When I was TAKING MY TEST a number of years ago, in the instructor's car covered in signs and massive L stickers, with the tester beside me in high vis and holding a clipboard, at least 2 cars roared past me on Western Distributor Road or one of those roads near Knocknacarra on the hatch marks blaring their horns because I was sitting at exactly 50 in the 50 zone. A lot of people get into a car and all logic, rationality and manners goes out the window.

I passed my test.

benjamin d wrote: »
    When I was TAKING MY TEST a number of years ago, in the instructor's car covered in signs and massive L stickers, with the tester beside me in high vis and holding a clipboard, at least 2 cars roared past me on Western Distributor Road or one of those roads near Knocknacarra on the hatch marks blaring their horns because I was sitting at exactly 50 in the 50 zone. A lot of people get into a car and all logic, rationality and manners goes out the window.

I passed my test.

God help the person who tries going at 60 across the bridge and up Bothar na Dtreadbh during rush hour too, probably more dangerous to actually do the speed limit there given the prevailing driving style.

Zero enforcement of rules of the road results in a total free for all, who knew?

Congrats on passing your test :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Bothar na dtreabh and the bridge need average speed cameras. Well a few places do but I'd start there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Bothar na dtreabh and the bridge need average speed cameras. Well a few places do but I'd start there

Any increase in rules of the road enforcement is badly needed. It's virtually non-existent from what I can see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Yea add in red light cameras aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Bóthair ná Treabh and possibly Quincintennial bridge was properly segregated between the two inbound and outbound lanes, even by just a wire barrier, they could up the speed limit to 60 possibly even 80km/h.

Those roads are in a condition to go at least 80 on anyway. The 50 limit is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Those roads are in a condition to go at least 80 on anyway. The 50 limit is ridiculous.

At the most, not least. 100km/h with unprotected footpaths either side is a bit too dangerous, that's why the last bit of the N4/N6 into Dublin before the M50 is 80km/h. Because of the footpaths and cycle lanes beside it.

I'd tend to agree the limit could be higher, but as it stands it is the *legal speed limit* for the road and the current lawless free for all is absurd imo.

Also if everyone obeyed the speed limit you'd have a bit less pressure getting put on the bottle neck junctions at busy times.

flazio wrote: »
    At the most, not least. 100km/h with unprotected footpaths either side is a bit too dangerous, that's why the last bit of the N4/N6 into Dublin before the M50 is 80km/h. Because of the footpaths and cycle lanes beside it.

Fair point.

They need proper speed limits not enforcement. 50kmh is idiotic, I would go mad sitting at that speed on them roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

They need proper speed limits not enforcement. 50kmh is idiotic, I would go mad sitting at that speed on them roads.

both are needed
    as well as red light traffic cams

As opposed to going at 80+ then sitting in queue of traffic?

• Advertisement

Everyone is always in a mad rush to the next traffic jam or set of lights. Never understood that :D

It is hard to drive 50kmph on that road though. Even with a small car and engine. If I remember right there was a pedestrian killed on the road years ago when a driver lost control and mounted the pavement, so that might explain the limit.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Everyone is always in a mad rush to the next traffic jam or set of lights. Never understood that :D
    It is hard to drive 50kmph on that road though. Even with a small car and engine. If I remember right there was a pedestrian killed on the road years ago when a driver lost control and mounted the pavement, so that might explain the limit.
    The 50kph on BnaT is due to the entrance on GlenburrenPark
    That slaughter was the Bridge in 1999, no?
    DZcmLr0XUAADtzU.jpg

zell12 wrote: »
    DZcmLr0XUAADtzU.jpg
    I was going to ask for details because I heard that the speed limit there was reduced to 50 due to an accident.

zell12 wrote: »

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of, but I seem to remember it happening on Bothar na dTreabh too. Can picture the bent lampost and wreathes laid out. I might be imagining it though. Would have been young at the time.

Very common between the Bohermore roundabout and the two set of lights between Bohermore and after the bridge. What's the fecking point of: speeding, endangering all road and pedestrian users, using more fuel, and then waiting in the queue as an idiot. I seriously don't understand the mindset. It's dangerous and it doesn't reduce the commute time.

I'm no expert but I think steady flow at 50kmh on that road would reduce congestion.

McGiver wrote: »
    Very common between the Bohermore roundabout and the two set of lights between Bohermore and after the bridge. What's the fecking point of: speeding, endangering all road and pedestrian users, using more fuel, and then waiting in the queue as an idiot. I seriously don't understand the mindset. It's dangerous and it doesn't reduce the commute time.

I'm no expert but I think steady flow at 50kmh on that road would reduce congestion.

Like how we're taught not to run for the door in a fire as it'll just create a bottleneck and cause everyone to get out slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It sounds like you don't have the right temperament for taking responsibility for a tonne or two of metal in an area shared with pedestrians and cyclists.
    It is hard to drive 50kmph on that road though. Even with a small car and engine.
    What's hard? Do you have trouble staying under 50 kmph in car parks?

There have been several studies that have shown that reducing speed limits can improve the flow of traffic (for example: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0968090X17300396).

The Dutch use this approach on motorways during busy times, reducing speed limits from 120 to 100 or 75 to improve traffic flow and avoid phantom traffic jams.

I think a big part of the problem is people get competitive behind the wheel and if they see others "getting an edge" on them they follow suit and break the rules too. Proper enforcement would quickly change driving habits and nobody would be in anyway adversely impacted.

It sounds like you don't have the right temperament for taking responsibility for a tonne or two of metal in an area shared with pedestrians and cyclists.

What's hard? Do you have trouble staying under 50 kmph in car parks?

It's difficult to stay at or under 50 kmph on a large open road with cars passing you at nearly twice that speed. I do it out of principle, but it's more difficult than driving at a higher speed. Save your condescending comparisons for someone else. If you can't see the difference between driving in a car park and a two laned open road then you might want to see someone about that.

P.S. If you're doing 50 in a car park, then you're going too fast....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's difficult to stay at or under 50 kmph on a large open road with cars passing you at nearly twice that speed. I do it out of principle, but it's more difficult than driving at a higher speed. .

How does other vehicles overtaking you make it difficult for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement