Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Canta LX is printed on the side so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xckjoo wrote: »
    You'd think so but I've heard a few of the older owners still maintain it was a mistake as recently as a year or two ago :D.

There is at least one older owner who still lives above the shop. I suspect this person may not be overly thrilled with the amount of noise produced by having large volumes of people on the street in the early hours of the morning. (And yes, this person was there first.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any business worth its salt performs analysis of previous years and projects anticipated future growth so I'm not sure this would classify as anecdotal
    Unless they are producing written details of their analysis of previous years to the researcher, then yes, it is purely anecdotal and subject to personal biases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

80‰ of businesses say traffic congestion is having a negative impact on their business

https://galwaybayfm.ie/80-per-cent-of-galway-businesses-say-traffic-congestion-has-negative-effect-on-business/

80% of how many?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There is at least one older owner who still lives above the shop. I suspect this person may not be overly thrilled with the amount of noise produced by having large volumes of people on the street in the early hours of the morning. (And yes, this person was there first.)

Can't run a city around one person though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CircleofLife

I get off the bus onto a footpath. Unfortunately more than a few cyclists don't realise how stupid it is to ride on the footpath in general, and to undertake bus in particular. Bohermore is one of the worse locations for it.

I'm not sure how many people realise this, but it is actually illegal for an adult to cycle on a footpath or pedestrianised area in Ireland. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it is just getting insane with the amount of cyclists on footpaths- particularly when they jump on them at traffic lights to use the pedestrian lights to bypass red lights.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I'm not sure how many people realise this, but it is actually illegal for an adult to cycle on a footpath or pedestrianised area in Ireland. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it is just getting insane with the amount of cyclists on footpaths- particularly when they jump on them at traffic lights to use the pedestrian lights to bypass red lights.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

Ya its well known - however no FPN for it. Gardai ,Dept of Environment, RSA decided against including it.
    The far bigger problem in Galway City is illegal car parking on footpaths. It it is endemic right throughout the city now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Is there a FPN for cyclists going the wrong way down one way streets out of interest?

See it happening very often on market street these days and is potentially dangerous to the cyclist - I'm not "anti cyclist" by any means but this does annoy me I have to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Is there a FPN for cyclists going the wrong way down one way streets out of interest?

See it happening very often on market street these days and is potentially dangerous to the cyclist - I'm not "anti cyclist" by any means but this does annoy me I have to be honest.

There's FPN for anything if the gardaí bother their hole to enforce it. Cycling against flow of traffic would fall under "Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/331/made/en/pdf

Agree the enforcement of any traffic rules in Galway City is shocking bad, from parking to jumping red lights 2-3 seconds after they've changed to driving a kilometre along hard shoulders to make a left turn (they're strangely bothered about that one from time to time though...)

• Advertisement

Agree the enforcement of any traffic rules in Galway City is shocking bad, from parking to jumping red lights 2-3 seconds after they've changed to driving a kilometre along hard shoulders to make a left turn (they're strangely bothered about that one from time to time though...)

Ya. That and jumping into the bus lane too early for a left-hand turn. I don't disagree with people being pulled up for this, but it's a strange thing to be so focused on.
    Red light jumping is endemic. It's scary how many mornings you see cars flying through red lights while kids are trying to cross the road to school (on a green pedestrian light). How these people look at themselves in the mirror I don't know. A clamp-down campaign for drivers and cyclists is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, it's awful to see it - and awful to think about how many cyclists have been scared off cycling on the road by dangerous driving.

I imagine the majority know but at times it's safer to be on the footpath. I cycle daily, inbound on Lough Atalia I use the footpath on the lake side. The path is wide enough for two bikes and a pedestrian and is so much safer than the road which has a speeding problem and the gully's are also far too deep. The path on the housing side should be removed and a cycling lane put in on a narrower path on the lake side. Simple solution to my mind.

I imagine the majority know but at times it's safer to be on the footpath. I cycle daily, inbound on Lough Atalia I use the footpath on the lake side. The path is wide enough for two bikes and a pedestrian and is so much safer than the road which has a speeding problem and the gully's are also far too deep. The path on the housing side should be removed and a cycling lane put in on a narrower path on the lake side. Simple solution to my mind.
    Agree re speeding, this is a big problem at off peak. This is a 50km/h road.
    I see alot of people cyclng on the footpath here as well when the road gets clogged by all the cars in both directions which occurs alot now. (right now on a Friday afternoon this is happening) Cars they take up so much space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Safer for the cyclist, less safe for the pedestrian. It's right that it's against the law for adults to cycle on a footpath.

Cycling against flow of traffic would fall under "Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/331/made/en/pdf

Which is reasonable, I think most Gardai would consider it as such here. 30km/h road and would be a 1km detour via Nuns Island. Many Country's in Europe - One Way Streets like this are Two Way for pedal bikes.

Safer for the cyclist, less safe for the pedestrian. It's right that it's against the law for adults to cycle on a footpath.

It already is...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

What has been going on the last two days that caused the whole place to come to a halt? Did everyone forget how to drive in the rain?

On some footpaths 100% but Lough Atalia has ample capacity. Easy solution available as I suggested above. I'm certainly not going to endanger myself by cycling along that road versus speeding motorists, poor infrastructure and the large amount of HGVs.

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    Did everyone forget how to drive in the rain?
    Or are they driving because of the rain....

• Advertisement

It is at most, a harmless activity.

On some footpaths 100% but Lough Atalia has ample capacity. Easy solution available as I suggested above. I'm certainly not going to endanger myself by cycling along that road versus speeding motorists, poor infrastructure and the large amount of HGVs.

We need a Port Tunnel for Galway. The Galway Bay Port Tunnel has a nice ring to it. On a serious note - your 100% correct. Lough Atalia is one of the busiest roads for HGV's and Coach Buses in Galway City. Not a pleasant road to cycle on.

FWIW: I have seen one very near miss as a result of this practice with someone pulling out of a parking spot who obviously had not anticipated a cyclist coming in opposite direction on their side of road

Like a lot of these minor cycling infractions that seem to get motorists riled for whatever reason , I think that if the rules were changed/clarified to allow for common sense to prevail then there'd be less of an issue - as it stands people (i.e. motorists) see it as breaking the rules of the road and get up in arms (rightly or wrongly) - see also cyclists treating red lights as a yield sign.

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    What has been going on the last two days that caused the whole place to come to a halt? Did everyone forget how to drive in the rain?

Rain + concerts on in town in evening I think

ok - try again.
    It is a Mostly Harmless activity.

On a serious note - yes I agree.
    Unless all road users now about it - then it can be a problem for sure
    Never do it myself in Galway City on a bike - but I can see why people do it because of the One Way road systems designed for cars that we have in the City.

ok - try again.
    It is a Mostly Harmless activity.

Friday afternoon and mind is elsewhere :pac:

I've been wondering why there isn't a cycle lane on Lough Atalia recently too. Plenty of space for one on both sides if they use some footpath space. I won't cycle on the footpath out of principle, but it can be quite hairy on that road sometimes.

I've been wondering why there isn't a cycle lane on Lough Atalia recently too. Plenty of space for one on both sides if they use some footpath space. I won't cycle on the footpath out of principle, but it can be quite hairy on that road sometimes.
    Madness not to imo. You're putting yourself at risk.

I usually avoid that road for just that reason. Although it's usually safe enough at about 6pm because traffic can be backed up the length of the road :D

• Advertisement

I usually avoid that road for just that reason. Although it's usually safe enough at about 6pm because traffic can be backed up the length of the road :D
    Ya it's a handy inbound road for me but I'd always go out the Team Rd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement