Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Currently on holiday and slightly drunk on half a bottle of Vino as a type this in my phone......

- Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?

The training was tough but not as bad as I expected. Sometimes having a singular goal releases you of all pressure. Leave your stresses and worries at home/work. Put ur runners and gear on. Step outside and enter a world that you are fully in control of. Come home and find that those stresses and worries are no longer there or that big. What's not to love about that.

The marathon. Better than I could have dreamed. Just amazing the support. The emotion and yes the pain matched and exceeded my expectations.

- If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?

I honestly can't think of anything. My training went really well. Loved it. Don't get me wrong. There were tough days, days I didn't want to. But I stuck to it and the joy of having structure and an aim together with the belief that it would work was reassuringly simple. Diet went from perfect to terrible during the training and I have gained about 4 pounds. Not ideal but that was me using it as an excuse more than anything else.

Race went perfectly. Beat my original goal of 4 hours and came so close to matching my taper goal of sub 3:55. My advice to next year's novices is simple. Start conservatively. If you are feeling strong start pushing at mile 15-16. At mile 22 go for it. Expect pain at this stage but empty whatever you have. Nearly all this year's novices followed this plan and met their goals.

- Any future plans in relation to running?

Speed. I've never trained for speed. I never thought if myself as a "real runner" but having done a marathon I feel that I can now call myself a runner. I have loved this group. I mostly run alone but the group run in the park and racing with Damo and Conor showed me what I'm missing so I really want to join a running club to help with the training and with the social side. Raheny Shamrocks are local and Crusaders are near work so either of these. Plan is to do some base training over the next month and then do targeted training for 10k, with some parkruns in between. I'm also definitely doing the Raheny 5. Best road race in Dublin.

I see a few are thinking of joining Raheny. I'm thinking of doing one of ftheir Tuesday 2 mile races as a way of getting to know the club is any of ye are around let me know!

Now where is this waiter with the next bottle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Well here we go, better late than never! Goal was 3.30hrs

Run Report
    Week before the marathon:
    Lots of carbs and sleep with a few easy runs. All went to plan but the sleep only barely covered me after a previous week of travelling!

Day before the marathon:
    Had a great sleep and ate well. I went to a Halloween party but was home and in bed at 12. I slept for about 3 hours and “rested” for about 6. Luckily someone posted that rest is almost as good as sleep the day before so that calmed the nerves!

Morning of the marathon:
    Gave up sleeping at around 5 and did a bit of work to take my mind off things. Awkward enough getting to town, I drove to a Luas park and ride and hoped on. It was good to see others carrying the marathon bags and wearing runners!

I got off the Luas at Stephens green and went for a shneaky wee in the Shelbourne. I crossed the road and met some lovely boardsies. I went through the section for athletes only and over to baggage drop. Nerves steadily building but nothing too bad. Another wee on the way and then up to the top of wave two.

The marathon:
    I had created a playlist the night before so pressed play and started Strava. We moved towards the start line and at 9.10 . . . bang we’re off. I focused on running extremely slow for the first kilometre as a warm up. After this I settled in to a pace slightly slower than PMP so I let the 3.40 pacers go on ahead. I stopped in Stoneybatter to tie my shoe which was too tight.

On through the phoenix park and down into Castleknock. A highlight for me was the support at this corner! Sister waved me on and saw a few other familiar faces. I had paced well up to here but the excitement got to me and the few km around Castleknock were too fast. I reeled it back in and then settled to a steady PMP. At this speed I caught up with and overtook the 3.40 pacers in the second Pheonix park section.

On through Crumlin and up to Kimmage. No issues but it was tough keeping PMP and I knew that I would need some negative splits at the end to meet my target. On I went, loving the signs and jellies that were handed out along the way.

The going got tough around mile 20 when I had to drop back from PMP. I felt comfortable around LSR pace so ended up staying there until the end! I found mile 21 to 22 the hardest and the 3.40 pacers passed me at UCD.

On past RTE and there was the home straight. How many times had I ran 3km? Easy right?!! It felt like a 10km but I was laughing inside because I knew nothing could stop me now.

Through the finish line in 3.49 and sat down as soon I passed the stewards moving us on. Snapped a selfie and took in the moment! Baggage collection and met my dad who fed me. To the pub to meet boardsies again. On to dinner with friends and finally home at 7pm for a bath and early bed.

Day after:
    Bank holiday normally means time to relax but I had signed up for a walk in Glendalough with a few international friends. My legs were tired the whole way, but felt smug that I was not slowing the group down! Still feeling a bit tired as of Thursday but that’s okay.

Final thoughts:
    Not once did I feel like quitting and I’m proud to have done this for personal reasons. I can’t recommend it enough for anyone considering it! I underestimated the support from the crowds – this had a big impact on me.

Would have liked to meet my target but I’ve been reassured that it’s not the end of the world :pac:

Questions:
    Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?
    Yes, to both. The challenge was what I wanted, and challenging it was.

If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?
    Train harder, plan the taper weeks in detail including sleep and food. Life gets in the way so this is not always possible.

Any future plans in relation to running?
    Looking forward to a PB in parkrun but that’s as far ahead as I’m willing to plan!

Thanks again Wubble and boardsies, looking forward to the 2018 novices thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

- Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?

Yes I knew training was going to be hard and it was hard, especially as the lsr miles ramped up but I enjoyed the sense of achievement doing them and will miss having a plan to follow.
    I loved every second of the marathon, the day couldn’t have been any better

- If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?

One thing I probably would do differently is try to find people to run by lsrs with. I always thought I liked running on my own until I meet Skyblue & Laraze on the first planned boards run, I then realised what I was missing.
    I would also do more S&C, I had trouble with my ITB and I think I could of avoided this if I had of kept up my weekly sessions.

- Any future plans in relation to running?

I’m definitely going to keep up regular running, maybe start at my local Parkrun. I’ll do the race series minus the marathon next year and try and improve on my half time. I did say I would never ever do a marathon again but I’m now thinking I wouldn’t completely rule it out, maybe 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Guys/Girls I just wanted to thank you for the card and voucher; you didn't need to do that but I really appreciate it.

I really enjoyed being involved with the Novice Group this year and it has been great seeing how you all progressed over the summer.....it sort of feels like an end of a 2 year journey after being part of Nops crew last year!

Rest assured I will pop into the 2018 thread next year.

Hopefully you are all recovering well from Sunday and I hope to see some of you at Jingle Bells in December (I have to do some shameless plugging for the club!).

Keep up the running it really is brilliant for the mind as well as the body.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hopefully you are all recovering well from Sunday and I hope to see some of you at Jingle Bells in December (I have to do some shameless plugging for the club!).
    C

thanks for all the help C. Signed up for JB already!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

100% PB course!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Popped in to see Physio today and mentioned the knee is still sore. He said to give it 3 weeks of complete rest.... feel like I'm going to have lost all fitness gains and I'll have cracked up :(

Still I ran a marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hi All

Just back from a break (physical and mental) - so haven't been online since Monday.

I get home today to a lovely card and gift - I'm blown away by that - it absolutely wasn't necessary!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! (and now I can put names to Boards ID's :) )

Now if only I had heeded my own advice...............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Popped in to see Physio today and mentioned the knee is still sore. He said to give it 3 weeks of complete rest.... feel like I'm going to have lost all fitness gains and I'll have cracked up :(

Still I ran a marathon :)

I bet you won’t loose fitness at all. Think of tapering and how strong you were on Sunday. I do understand how you feel though. I think it’s just we are so used to the routine of getting out running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ariana, I agree with kellygirl I bet you won't and you have 1 week nearly over now, what about swimming or can you cycle instead maybe :)

Still have not done anything apart from swimming myself, I feel great legs are great no soreness the problem are two tiny blisters under toenail same toe on each foot I am hoping they are better tomorrow and I can get out and do something soon.

AuldManKing & scotindublin I think we all would have loved to meet you all in person :)

I will miss the jingelbell run but I know a good few novices graduates:D are planning to run it, I am running a half the same day raging I will miss it.

• Advertisement

I’m planning on the half marathon in Clonakilty on the 9th December - 5 weeks tomorrow. Is it a mad notion to consider doing the full instead that day? Just thinking I have the fitness built up. It’s hillier than Dublin so I wouldn’t bother going out any faster. Just toying with the idea really. Only 375 did it last year so might be a lonely run too. Weather would need to be nice I think running around the hills and fields of west cork on my own!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Looking forward to Parkrunning in Marlay tomorrow. Been ages since I've done one due to LSRs!! Anyone else be out tomorrow?

Amirani wrote: »
    Looking forward to Parkrunning in Marlay tomorrow. Been ages since I've done one due to LSRs!! Anyone else be out tomorrow?

Me too. I’ve missed parkrun. Looking forward to getting back to it in the morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm putting this up here mainly for 2018 novices who might read back on this thread. Your mentor and his/ her merry group of collaborators will most likely drill it into you the importance of sensible pacing. Do not let this fall on deaf ears. It should be the bedrock of your race.

So fellow graduates, as a few of you who have met me know I'm a bit of a rain man and love playing around with numbers. Inspired by ariana and kellygirls use of stage positions in their race reviews I decided to look at the group as a whole. I used the bib numbers on the table kindly compiled by RasTa on race day. I think they, more than any times, bear testament to the great advice given to us by the mentors regarding pacing and taking the first 7 miles easy. I know from off boards chats that this advice was something we were all very aware of pre race and was the central plank in almost all our race plans.

Average Position @ 10k: 8785
    Average Position @ Half: 8437
    Ave Places Gained from 10k to half: 348
    Ave Position @ 30k: 7801
    Ave places gained from half to 30k: 636
    Ave Position @ Finish: 7064
    Ave places gained from 30k to Finish: 737
    Ave places gained from 10k to Finish: 1721
    Percentage of Runners caught after 10k: 23%

These facts don't even tell the full story. 10 novices each passed at least 2500 runners from 10k to the end. Two of our faster novices who were in wave 1 and so had less numbers ahead of them passed over 30% of the runners ahead of them at 10k by the end of the day. As a group we passed a runner every 16 metres between 30k and the finish line.

I can never thank WW and AMK enough for their input in this. Their co-collaborators work was also priceless. Yes we trained and we're blue in the face slapping each others backs but as I said this is mainly for the 2018 Novices....slowly slowly catchy monkey! ;-)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm putting this up here mainly for 2018 novices who might read back on this thread. Your mentor and his/ her merry group of collaborators will most likely drill it into you the importance of sensible pacing. Do not let this fall on deaf ears. It should be the bedrock of your race.

So fellow graduates, as a few of you who have met me know I'm a bit of a rain man and love playing around with numbers. Inspired by ariana and kellygirls use of stage positions in their race reviews I decided to look at the group as a whole. I used the bib numbers on the table kindly compiled by RasTa on race day. I think they, more than any times, bear testament to the great advice given to us by the mentors regarding pacing and taking the first 7 miles easy. I know from off boards chats that this advice was something we were all very aware of pre race and was the central plank in almost all our race plans.

Average Position @ 10k: 8785
    Average Position @ Half: 8437
    Ave Places Gained from 10k to half: 348
    Ave Position @ 30k: 7801
    Ave places gained from half to 30k: 636
    Ave Position @ Finish: 7064
    Ave places gained from 30k to Finish: 737
    Ave places gained from 10k to Finish: 1721
    Percentage of Runners caught after 10k: 23%

These facts don't even tell the full story. 10 novices each passed at least 2500 runners from 10k to the end. Two of our faster novices who were in wave 1 and so had less numbers ahead of them passed over 30% of the runners ahead of them at 10k by the end of the day. As a group we passed a runner every 16 metres between 30k and the finish line.

I can never thank WW and AMK enough for their input in this. Their co-collaborators work was also priceless. Yes we trained and we're blue in the face slapping each others backs but as I said this is mainly for the 2018 Novices....slowly slowly catchy monkey! ;-)

WOW! That is seriously impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Yes to parkrun tomo , easy pace like!
    Yes to Clon half as well, not easy pace if possible.
    No way I'd try the marathon in Clon, it is a very hard route, unless you take it really easy and like to run in the countryside on your own!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Has anyone got a link to where you can see your stage position? It's not on the results page

parkrun tomorrow for me too.

Go on, who else is wearing their DCM top to show off?

Lazare wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to where you can see your stage position? It's not on the results page

Chip times.biz I think. Follow the link in the text you got after the race. :)

podgec10 wrote: »
    Yes to parkrun tomo , easy pace like!
    Yes to Clon half as well, not easy pace if possible.
    No way I'd try the marathon in Clon, it is a very hard route, unless you take it really easy and like to run in the countryside on your own!!!

Yes it’s probably a lunatic idea. I’ve done the half there last year and the hills are something else. I should just stick to the half this year and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Definitely!

I've worn it on my 2 little runs. Proud as punch!!!! :D

[url]Http://tdleventservices.co.uk[/url]

Aaargh, no black ink in my printer and can't find a barcode anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Amirani wrote: »

Yep heading to the Parkrun in Carlow tomorrow:) will probably be a slow one thanks to my blisters

Found one buried in the van, phew.

Kellygirl wrote: »

Jaysis, I overtook 3966 people from 10k to the line. :eek:

Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Go anyway!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Now now, let's keep it to averages. ;)

Ah feck, didn't mean to be boasty. Was just shocked when I saw it.

• Advertisement

podgec10 wrote: »
    Go anyway!

Ah I was going either way. Can't wait for it, the first time I can really run it since May.

Advertisement