Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Possibly people got a licence issued which purported to be for a "pump action rifle" but in fact actually referred to a bolt action or semi auto. Or even a pump action shotgun.
    They then had to get this licence wording changed and the system somehow flagged this action as a revoked licence.
    In general you are dealing with Gardai who simply don't know the difference between different loading systems.

So the entire figures for the number of revoked licences could be inaccurate by a factor of hundreds of percent??:roll eyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Possibly people got a licence issued which purported to be for a "pum action rifle" but in fact actually referred to a bolt action or semi auto. Or even a pump action shotgun.
    They then had to get this licence wording changed and the system somehow flagged this action as a revoked licence.
    In general you are dealing with Gardai who simply don't know the difference between different loading systems.

I don't buy that either. People know what they are buying/licensing and the small small percentage that might have made a mistake would be negligible when seen against the back drop of revoked licences.
    Bovine excretions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Zxthinger wrote: »
    There is surly something wrong with the number of pump action rifle licenses revoked.
    I don't think I ever seen a pump here in Ireland.

Fudgy figures me thinks..

So you think the figures are incorrect, but my line of reasoning, also agreeing that Gardai figures are wrong, and a speculative reason why, is somehow bulls☆☆t ?
    I'll tell you what lads, work away yourselves.

I got a renewal form for a firearm I sold to a dealer 2 years ago. I have explained this in a letter to the firearms officer,whats the bet the licence is "revoked"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Did you think to fill in and submit a FCA2 to cancel the licence when you sold it to the dealer because without this how would the guards know it was sold.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    Did you think to fill in and submit a FCA2 to cancel the licence when you sold it to the dealer because without this how would the guards know it was sold.

No, I filled in a substitution request, on a like for like basis. - that was messed up and I had to pay the full 80 euro. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tuesday, 26 January 2016
    James Bannon (Longford-Westmeath, Fine Gael)
    508. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the ownership and the sporting rights the National Parks and Wildlife Service has on lands in County Westmeath; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [2912/16]

Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael):

[Mod]Some non-shooting-related stuff deleted for space[/Mod]

The Irish Land Commission was dissolved in 1992 and I understand that its successor in law is the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. In 1988, the then Irish Land Commission nominally transferred management of shooting rights to the Wildlife Service, which is now the National Parks and Wildlife Service, a constituent part of my Department.

I am advised that there are no actively managed leases of shooting rights by my Department in County Westmeath at present.
    Michael Fitzmaurice (Roscommon-South Leitrim, Independent)
    280. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of applications that were made for non-resident firearm certificates and issued by the Garda Síochána to a gun club (details supplied) in County Sligo during the 2014 season and during the 2015 season; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [2907/16]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I can advise the Deputy that there were 53 non-resident Firearm Certificates issued in 2014 and 91 issued in 2015 by An Garda Síochána to persons who had permission to shoot on the lands of Tubbercurry Gun Club.

The non-resident Firearm Certificates are issued to individuals who use the lands of Tubbercurry Gun Club to shoot on and are not issued to Tubbercurry Gun Club itself.

Thursday, 14 April 2016
    Willie Penrose (Longford-Westmeath, Labour)
    340. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of firearms licences that have been revoked or withdrawn in the Garda Síochána district of Longford and Roscommon and the number that have been subsequently returned on appeal or direct application in the same district; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7077/16]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am informed by An Garda Síochána that since January 2015, three firearms licences have been revoked in the Garda Síochána District of Roscommon. These revocations were not the subject of appeals to the District Court. No firearms licences have been revoked in the Garda Síochána District of Longford.

Thursday, 21 April 2016
    Maureen O'Sullivan (Dublin Central, Independent)
    99. To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the reason animal shooting clubs are being allowed access to schools and pupils for public relations exercises; and if there are any restrictions on the type of groups which may access school grounds and pupils. [7877/16]

Jan O'Sullivan (Limerick City, Labour)
    Schools may invite visitors to support the work of the curriculum where appropriate.

My Department has issued best practice guidelines to schools which include specific guidance relating to the role of any visitors in supporting the implementation of the Social Personal and Health Education (SPHE) programme. These guidelines require that visits are carefully planned with the relevant school personnel, and that the content of talks/programmes by outside facilitators are consistent with school policies, and with the SPHE programme.

It is a matter for each school authority to decide on the suitability of any proposed visitors and to determine the suitability of the support materials and resources to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

Im guessing this was asked because one of the deer groups is running a primary school education module to teach kids about our native deer.

I expect that since the minister has said its up to each school to decide then ICABS will be starting a campaign to have it banned with help from Maureen O'Sullivan (former ICABS president)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We could always get a question asked on the policy of the dept on letting militant and radical animal rights groups spokes people w ho espouse violence and militant tactics and whose members are known to AGS with criminal records into our schools or are allowed teaching positions in our 3rd level education system who have known records in the UK for militant animal rights extremeism and have served jail time for bomb making.
    Do they reall want to go there????:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thursday, 26 May 2016
    Michael Healy-Rae (Kerry, Independent)
    170. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the status of an application by a person (details supplied) for an out-of-season licence for shooting deer; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [12390/16]

Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael)

An application was received in my Department last month from the individual in question for a permit under Section 42 of the Wildlife Acts to hunt deer out of season. The permit has issued to the individual.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016
    Michael Ring (Mayo, Fine Gael)
    77. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality when a reply will issue from her office to a query submitted on 23 May 2016 (details supplied). [16809/16]

Frances Fitzgerald (Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

As indicated to the Deputy in the response issued on 16 June 2016, Section 3D of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 provides that only those centre fire short firearms licensed before 19 November 2008 remain licensable. Therefore, it is not possible to substitute another centre fire handgun for a handgun licensed before 19 November 2008. However, it is open to the certificate holder to replace a part of the licensed handgun, for example, if the part was faulty.

Thursday, 21 July 2016
    Thomas Byrne (Meath East, Fianna Fail)
    59. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of holders, annually, of licensed firearms who had their firearms removed from them by the Garda as a result of producing a firearm during a trespass on their dwelling or in the course of a crime being committed at their dwelling. [23888/16]

Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1925, as amended, provides for the revocation of firearm certificates by an issuing member of An Garda Síochána. I am advised by An Garda Síochána that they are not in a position to provide the information in the manner requested by the Deputy as it would require a disproportionate amount of Garda time and resources to collate the data requested.
    60. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the circumstances in which a superintendent of An Garda Síochána is entitled to remove a firearm from a holder of a firearms licence. [23889/16]

I can inform the Deputy that Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1925, as amended, provides that an issuing person may at any time revoke a firearm certificate granted by the person if satisfied that the holder of the certificate—
    (a) has not a good reason for requiring the firearm to which the certificate relates,
    (b) is a person who cannot, without danger to the public safety or security or the peace, be permitted to possess a firearm,
    (c) is a person who is declared by this Act to be disentitled to hold a firearm certificate,
    (d) where the firearm certificate limits the purposes for which the firearm to which it relates may be used, is using the firearm for purposes not authorised by the certificate,
    (e) has not complied with a condition attached to the grant of the certificate, or
    (f) where the firearm is authorised to be carried or used by a holder of a firearms training certificate, has, without reasonable excuse, permitted the holder of that certificate to carry or use the firearm while not under his or her supervision.
    58. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if a householder is entitled under law to use reasonable force to repel a trespasser or an assailant at a dwelling; the circumstances a firearm is allowed to be produced by the same householder in self-defence. [23887/16]

The first course of action for any householder faced with a trespasser or burglar should be, where circumstances permit, to call the Garda Síochána who are best placed to deal with violent offenders and to investigate offences.

The Criminal Law (Defence and the Dwelling) Act 2011 clarifies the law concerning the defence of the home. The premise of the Act is the use of reasonable force by a householder against an intruder entering the dwelling with criminal intent. Section 2 of the Act sets out the criteria for use of reasonable force by a householder against an intruder entering the dwelling with criminal intent. The householder must believe that the intruder has entered the dwelling to commit a criminal act. The force used against the intruder must only be such as is reasonable in the circumstances as the householder believes them to be, to protect people in the dwelling from assault, to protect property, to prevent the commission of a crime or to make a lawful arrest. Section 2(4) provides that it is a matter for a court or jury to decide whether the householder's belief with regard to the amount of force used was honestly held and provides as follows: It is immaterial whether a belief is justified or not if it is honestly held but in considering whether the person using the force honestly held the belief, the court or the jury, as the case may be, shall have regard to the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for the person so believing and all other relevant circumstances.

That last question's subject matter is outside the scope of this forum; I include it only to point out that the question has been asked, which is a worrying development because it implies the possibility of someone seeking to claim a problem exists where one does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Sparks wrote: »
    Thursday, 21 July 2016

That last question's subject matter is outside the scope of this forum; I include it only to point out that the question has been asked, which is a worrying development because it implies the possibility of someone seeking to claim a problem exists where one does not.

Or it could be because every farmer in the country wants to know can they shoot someone if they break into their house.

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Or it could be because every farmer in the country wants to know can they shoot someone if they break into their house.

Which is the same thing as far as I can tell based on actual statistics.

Either way, the potential end result - and the main concern for us as sportspeople - is the same: a healy-rae type chancer using this as a source of free publicity and painting everyone with a firearms licence as a threat to public safety in the process because it's a lot more publicity if you're seen defending the indefensible than it is if you defend something seen to be worth defending. It's why everyone heard about a healy-rae defending the idea of drink driving, but relatively few people hear about TDs decrying contract conditions in (for a recent example) deliveroo.

End practical result: Publicity for a TD who has no intention of supporting our interests, and we pay for his publicity with a subsequent crackdown from Minister in response to the other TDs who latch onto the chance to be the TD-for-law-and-order (and that row between them just gains the healy-rae TD more publicity because if there's one thing papers love more than a TD defending something idiotic in a speech, it's a TD defending something idiotic in a row).

Friday, 16 September 2016
    Brendan Griffin (Kerry, Fine Gael)
    137. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if firearms dealers will continue to be permitted to deactivate firearms here; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [25557/16]

On 8 April 2016, European Commission Regulation 2015/2403 establishing common guidelines on deactivation standards and techniques for ensuring that deactivated firearms are rendered irreversibly inoperable came into effect. The Regulation was introduced as a result of an ongoing review of the Firearms Directive. The Charlie Hebdo terrorist attacks and later the Paris shootings involved reactivated firearms being used. This Regulation involves a significant tightening of arrangements across the EU Member States to ensure that standardised arrangements are in place to ensure that deactivated firearms cannot be reactivated for use.

It consists of a two step process whereby the firearm is firstly deactivated in accordance with the technical requirements of the Regulation followed by an independent verification of this deactivation by a competent authority appointed by Member States within each jurisdiction. There are currently more than 40 such competent authorities throughout the EU. The initial first step may still be carried out by a Registered Firearms Dealer in this jurisdiction. Only such Registered Firearms Dealers persons may carry out this work. The owner may then choose which competent authority to utilise in order to verify the deactivation.

Ireland has not appointed a Competent Authority to verify the deactivation of firearms in accordance with this Regulation because there is no significant firearms manufacturing industry in this country and no formal training for a gunsmith is recognised by the State. However, the Department of Justice and Equality has received statements of interest from five interested parties who wish to be assessed to be appointed as a Competent Authority for the verification of the deactivation of firearms under the regulation. The applicants are preparing formal applications at present and these shall be assessed upon receipt. The firearm must then be submitted to any one of the current 46 national competent authorities within the EU for verification and certification. The Birmingham Proof House has been approved by UK authorities to verify the deactivation of firearms in accordance with the Regulation and they have indicated their willingness to undertake such verification work for Irish customers.

The possession of any firearm, even after deactivation, will continue to require authorisation by An Garda Síochána.

79. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on a matter (details supplied) regarding a new EU deactivation regulation on firearms; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [24997/16]

On 18 November 2015, the European Commission proposed a revision of the Firearms Directive (Directive 91/477/EEC as amended by Directive 2008/51/EC). This proposal was based on the conclusions of studies the European Commission conducted evaluating all provisions of the Firearms Directive and their implementation in EU countries. The reports highlight a number of weaknesses and loopholes in the current legislation which the Commission's proposal aims to address.

The Firearms Directive allows the Commission to adopt standards and rules on the deactivation of firearms. The Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/2403 of 15 December 2015 (Deactivation Regulation) establishes common guidelines on deactivation within the EU with the objective to address problems due to the illegal reactivation of firearms by using pieces of other deactivated arms, home-made pieces or pieces acquired via the Internet.

The Commission Implementing Regulation has been developed in discussion with EU country experts and is based on technical specifications for deactivation developed by the Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms (the CIP). This Regulation sets out common and strict minimum criteria for the way EU countries must deactivate weapons so that they are rendered irreversibly inoperable. This Regulation came into effect on 8 April 2016 and has direct application within this jurisdiction. It permits both firearms owners and registered firearms dealers to carry out the work required to render the firearm irreversibly deactivated in accordance with the regulation. The firearm must then be submitted to any one of the current 46 national competent authorities within the EU for verification and certification.
    Ireland has not appointed a Competent Authority to verify the deactivation of firearms in accordance with this Regulation because there is no significant firearms manufacturing industry in this country and no formal training for a gunsmith is recognised by the State. However, the Department of Justice and Equality has received statements of interest from five interested parties who wish to be assessed to be appointed as a Competent Authority for the verification of the deactivation of firearms under the regulation. The applicants are preparing formal applications at present and these shall be assessed upon receipt. In the meantime, the Birmingham Proof House has been approved by UK authorities to verify the deactivation of firearms in accordance with the Regulation and they have indicated their willingness to undertake such verification work for Irish customers.

The possession of any firearm, even after deactivation, will continue to require authorisation by An Garda Síochána.
    981. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht her views on the case of a person (details supplied) regarding shooting rights on land; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [26013/16]

Officials of my Department have become aware of a potential historical agreement relating to the lease of the relevant shooting rights to a local gun club as part of a then initiative to protect a wildfowl sanctuary. The matter is being investigated further with a view to bringing more clarity on the position.

Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Ceisteanna - Questions - Priority Questions
    6:40 pm
    Jim O'Callaghan (Dublin Bay South, Fianna Fail)
    12. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her plans for updating and strengthening the sentences that can be imposed on persons convicted of possession of firearms with intent to injure and-or kill; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [27625/16]

The reason I put down this question about firearms is that, a number of months ago, Deputy Declan Breathnach introduced me to a postmistress from a post office in County Louth who had been through an extremely harrowing experience when she was subjected to a raid on the post office, not once, but twice. I am sure the Minister will agree that offences which are committed with the use of firearms are astonishingly serious. They are distinguished from other criminal offences where individuals on the spur of the moment may not involve themselves in a premeditated act, although they involve themselves in criminality nonetheless. We need to have greater codification and increased sentences in respect of the possession of firearms.

There are very severe penalties in place for firearm offences under the Firearms Acts 1925 to 2009. A person possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life is liable to a minimum of ten years imprisonment and up to a maximum of life imprisonment and a fine at the discretion of the court. The court has some discretion in applying these minimum sentences in the case of a first offence, depending on the circumstances concerned, but not in the case of a second or subsequent offence. This and other mandatory minimum sentences for firearms offences were introduced on foot of concerns regarding the impact this type of offence had on society, on individuals and on communities.

I want to put on record that much progress has made in tackling gun crime in Ireland and the statistics are as follows. The number of offences relating to the possession and discharge of a firearm fell by 52%, from 745 in 2005 to 356 in 2015, while incidents of assault, burglary, robbery and murder involving a firearm are down 28%, from 455 to 329. Of course, if one is the person being assaulted in this way, one case is one too many, which I accept. However, the sentencing regime is quite tough and I am not sure there is scope for any further strengthening, although I am happy to consider any specific suggestions the Deputy may have.

Gun crime must be tackled aggressively by An Garda Síochána and this is being done through a range of targeted and intelligence-based operations, which often disrupt incidents and ensure we detect and prosecute those involved.

The Minister is correct to state there are certain offences associated with firearms which carry very serious sentences, such as the ones she has identified. However, there are other offences which do not carry the same sentence, such as reckless discharge of a firearm or possession of a firearm or ammunition in suspicious circumstances. We need to have a codified and consistent approach to offences with the use of firearms.

As I mentioned at the outset, when somebody gets involved with possession of a firearm for the purpose of illegal activity, there is no doubt but that the person is going to be involved in predetermined criminal activity. We need to send out a message that the use of firearms in criminal activity is an offence which carries very special and serious penalties. It is for that reason we should look again at this issue. It is not just the Minister's responsibility to introduce new laws, which is something any member of the House can do. However, I believe the other offences in association with the use of a firearm need to be strengthened so, for example, persons who are holding onto a firearm or minding a firearm, or using a firearm for activities which they may not think are going to result in the death of an individual, are aware there are very serious criminal sanctions. It is simply unacceptable for people in this society to have firearms for illegal activity. We do not want to find ourselves in a situation where it becomes acceptable over time. We need to stamp down on it promptly.

The House might be interested to know that a High Court judgment of 9 May 2016, with which I am sure the Deputy is familiar, upheld the constitutionality of the mandatory minimum sentence provisions for repeat firearm offences. Mr. Justice Twomey adjudicated it is within the rights of the Oireachtas to make such provisions, having regard to public safety and the protection of citizens. He also made reference to the fact the Garda Síochána is a unarmed force and that strong legal provision for firearms offences acts as a deterrent. Indeed, in regard to some of the particular issues the Deputy has raised, section 27A of the Firearms Act 1964 provides for mandatory minimum sentences of at least five years, with the possibility of up to 14 years for those convicted of possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances. Under section 27B of the 1964 Act, it is also an offence to carry a firearm with criminal intent, and that also attracts a minimum sentence of five years, with a possible maximum sentence of 14 years.
    Therefore, if some codification is needed, or if there are any issues the Deputy would like to forward to me in this regard, I will certainly ask the Department to examine them. However, I am satisfied there are strong sentencing deterrents available for people who would carry firearms in this jurisdiction. The reduction in offences shows that people are getting that message but it is an ongoing issue.

Written Questions
    31. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will consider updating and strengthening the sentences that can be imposed on persons convicted of possession of firearms with intent to injure and or kill; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [27377/16]

As previously stated, there are severe penalties in place for firearm offences under the Firearms Acts 1925 to 2009. A person possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life is liable to a minimum of 10 years imprisonment and up to a maximum of life imprisonment and a fine at the discretion of the Court. The Court has some discretion in applying these minimum sentences in the case of a first offence, depending on the circumstances concerned, but not in the case of a second or subsequent offence. This, and other mandatory minimum sentences for firearms offences, were introduced on foot of concerns regarding the impact these type of offences had on society and individual communities.

On foot of the introduction of these penalties in the Criminal Justice Act 2006 much progress has made in tackling gun crime in Ireland. The number of offences relating to the possession and discharge of a firearm fell by 52% from 745 in 2005 to 356 in 2015; while incidents of assault, burglary, robbery and murder involving a firearm are down 28% from 455 to 329. Given the severe sentences in place with the potential for a maximum of life imprisonment, I am not sure there is scope for any further strengthening of sentences. However, I will be more than happy to consider any specific suggestions which the Deputy may have.

Gun crime is and must be tackled aggressively by An Garda Síochána by means of a range of targeted and intelligence based operations, disrupting and preventing incidents before harm is caused, as well as detecting and prosecuting those involved. Against this background and in the context of recent organised crime activity, a number of targeted additional measures have been put in place in support of the work of An Garda Síochána. These include the recent changes to the Proceeds of Crime Acts, the allocation of an additional €55 million to An Garda Síochána this year, and the establishment of a Special Crime Task Force. A dedicated Armed Support Unit for the Dublin Metropolitan Region is also being established.

Road Traffic Bill 2016 [Seanad] [Second Stage]
    My brother raised other issues to do with safety but he left out one item, which is the number of accidents caused on a daily basis by deer roaming onto the roads late at night and early in the morning. I know of a number of people who have been seriously injured and of a number of accidents because where I am from the deer population has soared in recent years. If people hit a deer and their vehicle is damaged or the driver or passengers are injured and they go to the National Parks and Wildlife Service because the deer came from land under its control, it will tell them it has nothing to do with it. At the same time, this is the body which, if an honest to God person goes out at night with a gun and goes shooting a deer, will tell the person he or she cannot do it. Will it make up its mind? If it is responsible for the deer it is responsible for them and if it is not it is not, in which case it is our business what we do with them.

In the past I have called for a 70% cull of the deer population in Ireland. One might think this is a lot but it is very factual and correct. If we are to go back to the figure we should have in Ireland, we should lose 70% of our present deer population because it is outrageous. Farmers are being affected. Their fences are being broken and their grass is being eaten and it is all because of this problem spiralling out of control. The number of people who get seriously injured because of deer roaming onto the roads is enormous. I am aware of one case where two people lost their lives and it was put down to the fact there were deer on the road and they swerved to avoid them and unfortunately lost their lives. Something must be done to address this very serious situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What is O'Callaghan skirting around?

He is calling for stricter penalties for firearm offences which is understandable. However he keeps on circling around a point without actually saying what he wants. Criminality involving firearms already has penalties, sentences, fines, etc. Everyone knows if you rob a post office, threaten someone, shoot someone, etc that you're going to jail so why the "tip toeing" around?

I'm either not getting his point or it's so plainly simple, and already covered in law (just not enforced enough) that it essentially required no questioning in the Dail which would mean his only point for saying it is to appear as though he is spear heading some sort of crack down.

As for Healy-Rae. Yes car accidents involving deer happen, and any death occurring from such an accident is tragic, but to hold the NPWS responsible or liable for them is ridiculous. The NPWS don't own the deer. They are the state body responsible for the management, protection, and enforcement of the deer and the legalities surrounding them. They don't have the money to properly fund their own body let alone have some sort of "slush fund" for repairing cars, personal claims, damage to property, etc.

I'd be interested to know the death toll for RTAs involving escaped livestock. I've had a few close ones, especially at night, when cattle and horses are on the roads due to poor maintenance of lands/fencing. Difference with livestock is they are owned. Deer are not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Tuesday, 13 December 2016
    Thomas Pringle (Donegal, Independent)
    602. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the reason there is no competition licence here for younger shooters that wish to compete at international skeet events on behalf of Ireland unlike in other jurisdictions in which younger shooters can acquire a special licence while under special guidance of a team manager; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [39434/16]

Patrick O'Donovan (Limerick County, Fine Gael)

Neither I nor Sport Ireland have any responsibility in relation to the matter raised by the Deputy. The Deputy may wish to enquire with the Irish Clay Pigeon Shooting Association (ICPSA), which is the National Governing Body for clay shooting. All National Governing Bodies, including the ICPSA, are independent, autonomous bodies and are responsible for the competition rules for their sports.

Martin Ferris (Kerry, Sinn Fein)
    393. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the circumstances under which red deer stags were shot and killed by trophy hunters in Killarney National Park; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [39600/16]

There is an annual Open Season during which deer can be legally shot under licence. The Open Season generally operates from 1 September to 28 February, depending on the species and gender of deer. Hunters need to have permission from the landowner and/or the sporting rights holder where they hunt.

The hunting of both male and female red deer in county Kerry is prohibited under the Open Seasons Order. However, there is a facility under the Wildlife Acts whereby landowners may apply to my Department for a special permission to cull deer where this is necessary outside the annual open seasons. These permissions offer a facility whereby a person can obtain a permit, on a case-by-case basis, to prevent serious damage caused by individual deer on specific lands. Permissions are only issued where there is evidence of such damage. Such permits are granted to a particular landowner and specify the person (deer stalker) who is permitted to carry out the cull.

As such, the permits are non- transferable and may not be sold.

Officials of my Department have investigated the allegation that an overseas hunter reputedly “bought” a permit to shoot red deer in the Killarney area. It is my understanding that this allegation has also been reported to An Garda Síochána. To date, my Department has found no evidence or concrete information in relation to this allegation. If, however, the Deputy wishes to forward any specific information he may have, I will be glad to have the matter given further consideration.
    John Brady (Wicklow, Sinn Fein)
    394. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht if her attention has been drawn to the fact that permits that have been granted to a person to shoot an animal have been sold on; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [39610/16]

Under the Wildlife Acts, there are various hunting activities which are licensing by my Department, including the hunting of deer. Deer hunting licences are issued by my Department on an annual basis to individuals to hunt deer during the Open Season. The annual Open Season during which deer can be legally shot under licence generally operates from 1 September to 28 February, depending on the species and gender of deer. Some 4,600 deer hunting licences have been issued by my Department in 2016 to date. Licences are granted to a particular individual and are non-transferable and may not be sold. Investigations by my Department have not, to date, uncovered evidence regarding the reselling of any license. If, however, the Deputy wishes to forward any specific information he may have, I will be glad to have the matter given further consideration.

• Advertisement

Thursday, 19 January 2017
    Niall Collins (Limerick County, Fianna Fail)
    73. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the progress that has been made to date to establish a firearms licensing authority following her announcement on this matter in Dáil Éireann in September 2015; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [2510/17]

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)

As the Deputy is aware, the Tánaiste announced her intention to make fundamental long term reforms of firearms licensing by establishing a new Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority. The primary function of the Authority will be to determine, on the basis of an objective assessment of all the issues, with safety of the public being paramount, whether particular forms of firearms may be licensed in the State, whether there should be any limit on the number of such firearms and what safety conditions might properly be applied to their licensing. The functions of the Authority will be subject to further consultation in advance of the preparation of the necessary enabling legislation, which will be subject to pre-legislative scrutiny by the Joint Oireachtas Committee.

A range of submissions have been received from interested bodies in relation to the shape of the proposed authority. I am in consultation with the Garda Commissioner in relation to those proposals. When that consultation has concluded proposals for changes to the firearms licensing regime will be the subject of consultation with stakeholders to ensure a robust system for access to firearms where public safety is paramount.

Was there an answer in there somewhere?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Cass wrote: »
    Was there an answer in there somewhere?

Is there ever

David Stanton chaired the review committee (Oireachtas) and was very fair, impartial and eager to learn so i have the upmost of respect for the man.

However the answer above has simply reiterated the Minister's intention to set up such an Authority and why. Now you never receive a straight forward answer, but i'd have thought at the very least a "we're on it, and it'll be coming soon" would have been thrown into the answer. At best a possible date even if it were only a month.

However with the fear and untruths her (Minster Fitz) statement has created she has effectively banned semi auto rifles without a Bill, Act, or SI because people are nervous to license one in case it's banned/grandfathered or because they believe (as i've been told recently by some) that they are already banned. I even had a gun dealer tell me they are now banned.

So why would she hurry to bring in a group that would essentially destroy this "carte Blanche" she has to keep them from being licensed without the need for legislation?

I think it's more a "I'm not the Minister and I'm not committing her to a timetable on behalf of a minor functionary in another party so soon after the Government lost a vote in the Dail" answer to be honest (especially since I'm now seeing Fine Gael putting up those not-election election posters all over the place in my neck of the woods, which suggests an incoming election).

It's the "range of submissions" bit that caught my eye, given the kind of submissions we've seen in the past from various groups to the DoJ (the NASRPC and the Sports Coalition's submissions specifically). Those are something I'd like to see myself.

I'm a little naive when it comes to politicians and while not so much so that i expect a straight answer i would expect an answer that conforms to the actual question.

Also if Mr Stanton is answering for the Minister then he should be prepared for them. Again my naivety is assuming she actually gave him an answer, but hey, we can dream.

As for the proposals i was assuming they were the ones received during the review process and never considered that new ones could still be submitted up to this date.

That is slightly worrying given previous proposals that have been kept secret. However things have changed slightly in some organisations since then and i'm hoping the closed door policy is not so closed anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Be interesting to see the NRAI & NTSA submissions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

As I have a recent self-imposed ban on watching RTE/Irish news, I didn't hear that the govt't lost a vote.

Oooooooh.

Until you said that, sparks, I thought he was hedging until the EU Firearms Directive firms up.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0119/846216-dail-vote-farmer-compensation/ yubabill. That's the third time in the last eight months. And the vote just before that one (on a bill which would have made it illegal to evict long-term tenants with little notice) was tied and had to be decided by the Ceann Comhairle, which hasn't happened in years.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    And the vote just before that one (on a bill which would have made it illegal to evict long-term tenants with little notice) was tied and had to be decided by the Ceann Comhairle, which hasn't happened in years.
    Amazing that such a bill would be defeated.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact nearly a THIRD of TDs are landlords

Advertisement