Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck today mate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You seem in great shape - may the stars align the way you deserve them to. All the best, A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done.
    Superb performance this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff Alan, delighted for you. Great second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Delighted for you, A. Great run to finish off an excellent training cycle. Looking forward to the report already. Recovery well and enjoy the rest of the trip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Woo hoo! Delighted for ya A and so well deserved! Ya worked bloody hard for this. Enjoy the celebrations!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sub 3 brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Fantastic stuff, delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Fantastic race. Well done, for the lead up in particular as that's when all the work was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Brilliant! well done A, well deserved, fantastic achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Big congrats A - looks like you controlled the whole race very well. Great performance and a smashing time, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Super stuff great result. Really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Delighted for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Brilliant stuff, congrats!! Very well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done, A. Delighted for you and a bit jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good job A, super run ☺ Enjoy the
    celebrations ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Brilliant! Absolutely delighted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You da man! Well done! Very much deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done A, great result and fantastic running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Tell me!

Found the thread. Massive congratulations Alan, that's super. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Massive thanks for the support on here, fb, Strava. Some on all 3 :)

Official time is 2:58:00.
    Should've sprinted the last meter :)

Report to follow during the week.

Jaysus its sore to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done Alan, the result was never in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Well done. It was clear from your log that you were well on target but nothing can be taken for granted. Glad that it went so well for you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done sir! fantastic run and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Build Up
    There is a sign in Dublin Airport that says “it’s better to say ‘ooops’ rather than ‘What if’”.
    This was in my head as I flew out to San Sebastian to tackle the elusive Sub3 for the 2nd time.

My preparation was very good. I had a knee injury over the summer so was starting from a low base.
    The 1st 6-7 weeks were spent building up again, I was utilising the Hansons Advanced plan but after a few weeks of this, the speed-work was aggravating my knee.
    In this 6-7 week period I ran the Frank Duffy 10 at MP with a few miles before hand and felt strong. I also ran a club race on the Munich laps coming 5th overall.
    After 8 weeks I ran a controlled 1:24 in the Athlone Flatline – So all positive signs that I was on progress.

So with 10 weeks to go – I began using a mixture of P&D 55-70 and the Steve Way sessions. This mixture worked out really well.

I ran the race series half at MP with a few miles before hand and had a good run at the Longwood ¾ Marathon where I ran an average 6:58 for the 19.66m. I jumped into DCM at 4m and done 22.5m with the final 13.1 at MP.
    I had also done tough 16m sessions in the same week as those last 2 runs – so I knew what tired legs meant.

So overall my build up had 8x20m runs with 18 runs of 16 miles or more. I peaked at 80 miles.
    TBL asked me during the week how many MP miles (or faster) I had done – just worked it out today at 169MP or faster.

Race Prep

The travel over to San Seb was long – left the house on Friday at 6:30am and got to my hotel at 8PM. A lot of waiting for plans & buses.

The main worry I had with the race was fear of cramp. I had hoped that the sessions and MP miles would help with this but also supplemented with Magnesium shots.

I met TBL on Saturday morning to go to the expo – it was a wondrous experience as we ‘wondered’ “was this it?” – took us about 5 mins and that including visiting all the stalls :D. Nice T-Shirt though.
    Coffee and lunch with the bogger was comical – but that’s for another day.
    Dinner that night – was possibly too late and too much food – felt bloated all night and the next day.
    A learning for the next time.

Race Day

I woke up at 6’ish and went down for brekkie – simple carbs were on offer – no porridge – I was still full from dinner so made sure I had a lot of coffee to help with that…..ahem.

After the coffee helped (3 times :P ) I put on the gear and made my way to the startline – about 400m from my hotel. Done a little warm up & stretching waiting for TBL, but didn’t see him.
    I did discover that Europeans of both genders have no qualms about peeing in public. Anywhere.

I made my way to the start line and lined up right at the back of the 3hr pacers.
    I was going to run my own race and not worry about them.

At 9am the 1st wave started and we crossed the line a little later.
    My first thoughts was how fast the 3hr group took off – my God.
    I didn’t try to keep with them – just settled into it – it was going to be a long race and I had plenty of time to catch them.

The 1st few miles were strange – I had a nagging doubt and was already making excuses for failing. The effort seemed a little high for the pace.
    Despite my best intentions – my 1st 5k was quicker than I had wanted.

Mile 1-3: 6:49/6:45/6:50 (21.10 for 5k)

At this stage I couldn’t see TBL but I did notice how far ahead the 3hr pacers were as we went through the tunnel for the 1st out & back loop. I noticed TBL looking comfortable ahead of me as he came towards me on the far side of the road.
    I caught up to him at about mile 4-5 and moved along – the negative thoughts were gone and I was feeling comfortable. I caught the 3 hr pacers and stayed in the group for a while.

Mile 4-6: 6:54/6:37/6:39 (5k: 21:03) (10k in 42.13)

Running with the pace group was a bit troublesome as there were a lot of people and was certainly a trip hazard. On the plus side I didn’t have to reach for water at the stations as the other runners were offering it around.
    Mile 7 brought us by the sea for the 1st time.
    Took my 1st gel at mile 8 or 9. A thick cliff shot one – took me about 2km to finish it.

Mile 7-9: 6:46/6:48/6:42 (5k: 20.53)

By mile 10 I had enough of the pace group and the trip hazard (me tripping them) so moved ahead.
    Back by the coast again. At this stage I noticed that when in the sun, it was getting warm, despite the various temperature gauges around the city telling me that it was 7c.
    There was a notable difference when running shaded by the buildings. I was pouring water over my neck/back from this point on.
    As we got nearer to the Stadium and the halfway mark – I was getting slightly agitated. I wanted to be past the halfway mark.

Mile 10-12: 6:47/6:44/6:41 (5k: 20:59)

Approaching the Stadium and going through it was cool – plenty of people around – the halfway clock was outside the stadium and ticked by 1:30:10 as I went under it – I knew I was probably 1min or so under that.
    Strange sensation at this point where I felt like I wanted to sleep – I turned off for a bit and relaxed – took a caffeine gel and woke myself up :cool:.
    The next couple of miles were uneventful as we approached the tunnel again.

Mile 13-15: 6:59/6:41/6:35 (5k: 20:52)

The tunnel is an out and back and plays havoc with the pace on the garmin. As I turned around I could see the gap I had on the 3 hr pace group – not a large gap – but enough.
    I was settled in with a group for a couple of miles but when I left the tunnel and the pace showed close to 7:00 I moved past that group and onto the next one.
    At this stage I feared the worst for TBL as I didn’t see him anywhere as we turned on the out and back loop.

Mile 16-18: 6:44/6:57/6:35 (5k: 21.10)

The next few miles are a blur as we went by the coast again and towards the last turn around.
    It’s a strange sensation,similar to waiting for the half way point, I was willing the last out and back point to come sooner. It was a comfort thing for me, knowing that the finish was near.
    At this stage, the usual mantra of “its only a lap of the PP to go” come into play.
    I also took my 3rd and last gel – caffeine and Sodium on tap.

Mile 19-21: 6:41/6:42/6:37 (5k: 20.42) – fastest 5k split

The final turn around happened at the 22m mark – again I was searching for TBL, but no sign of him on this long stretch. My initial thoughts was his niggle became a bit more serious.
    I also noted that the gap I had on the 3hr pace group was large enough.
    I felt good at mile 23, knowing there was only 5k left with no more turn arounds.

My thoughts came to closing out the race. I needed to be a bit cautious to avoid cramp.
    Although I didn’t feel like I was going to cramp, I was paranoid so slowed down a tad.
    I knew I had it in the bag – DFIU came to mind.

Mile 22-24: 6:46/6:50/6:51 (5k: 21:16)

The next 2 miles were wonderful. The crowds were cheering and I was feeling good – tired but good.
    I didn’t want to push the pace, just finish it out.
    I couldn’t see the stadium for ages, but then finally it came into view.
    We rounded the corner and entered the stadium, I had no idea what the time was. I was savouring it.
    I held up my arms and crossed the line.
    Job Done – no cramp, no wall, just damn good execution.

Mile 25-26: 6:56 / 6:59 / 1.54

Official time: 2:58:00 (ave pace: 6:47)

Post-Race:
    Immediately post-race I felt so alone. Didn’t know anyone and had no one to celebrate with. A couple of tears came and I didn’t know if they were from happiness or sadness – maybe both.
    But that only lasted a couple of mins.
    I waited til the 3:15 crowd came in in the hope that TBL was in there, but it wasn't to be.

I didn’t cramp at the end and I could stretch with no fear of cramping.
    This is hugely significant for me as I now have a formula that I know works.

I’m fairly sure I left a couple of mins in San Sebastian – but I’m extremely happy and proud of my training & execution and wouldn’t change it.

So – is it better to say “opps” rather than “what if”?
    Neither - “stick to the plan” works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant result and very smart running on the day... and more to come off that time by the sounds of it. Congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Enjoyed that report and great to see you have such a positive experience as well as the result. Very well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Great stuff, well done on a great race and training block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Your report reads almost a bit casual. Not much went wrong, it doesn't sound like you were in trouble at any stage (other than nearly falling asleep!!!) and you got to enjoy a (slightly conservative and sensible) finish. Well done again, delighted you pulled it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done A - perfectly executed training block and race , so solid all the way. Congrats and enjoy the recovery

Advertisement