Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I would go with the 24 miles. Right now, I feel, this will benefit you more than the other suggested workouts. If the farthest you have gone is 20 miles, 24 miles is needed. You've done the hard workout for the week. 24 miles easy will not trouble you but it will help you. There is a misconception about doing workouts on tired legs, especially for 'older' runners. The easy 24 miles is the way to go;)

hhmmmm - The Bin Man - 2nd post.
    How do I know what you are telling me isn't 'Garbage'. :P

I'll run it steady (for a total of 22) and will do 24m the following week as I have plenty of time.

Wednesday: Scheduled rest day - Busy in Prague :)

Thursday: The alarm went off at stupid o'clock (6am) as I made my way to the 'State of the Art Gym' in the hotel.
    More like "state of that...My Arse".

I mounted the 1 treadmill (....oh matron) and began my journey into dreadmill debouchery.......ok not really - I just ran on it.
    There was a 'fire safety' notice playing on loop on the TV in the gym - apparently in Cz, you need to leave the room, locate a fire extinguisher, attempt to out out the fire - if you fail to extinguish it, you need to ring reception from the room, to inform them of a fire in your room, then and only then, do you leave the room and pres the fire alarm button!!!!!!!!
    Watching that on loop for 40 minutess

5m @ 7.53

Friday: Up at 6am again - but this time brought my earphones with me.
    Wasn't feeling the love for this as it had been a long few days - bit managed another 5m at about 8min/mile pace.
    Thankfully flew home on Friday night.

5m @ 8

Saturday: I done a nice loop of the PP - throwing in 6x30 sec strides in order to train the FT fibres.
    7m at 8:07 pace.

Sunday: Irish 3/4 Marathon

Was up early enough for this on Sun morning - and arrived in good time.
    I planned to do 2-3 miles before the start, but a mini boards reunion scuppered that and I got 1.3m warm up.

During this - I appeared with Myles, and TBL was there with Tang,Meno & PaulieC - TBL formally introduced himself to me as if I was a stranger - but he is 60 so possibly senile at his stage

The start of the race was a bit chaotic as I was told to go into a car park and was so far back - only to see the race start up ahead and then had to scamper past a few hundred heads to find TBL.

We ran for a few miles together having a good old natter - I had spotted a guy I've ran with a number of times in the PP who beat me by 10 secs in Athlone flatline - he ran in our group for a while before heading off into the distance.

After a few miles TBL had to take a loo break - I was in a quandary what to do as I was enjoying the conversation and the miles were flying by. But I let him off and set off on my ownsome as we were ahead of the pace group at that stage.

Miles 1-7 (6:49/7:12/7:09/7:12/7:09/7:11/7:10)

When I left TBL (or he left me) I was running with a guy from Duleek & District - he seemed very strong and after a couple of miles our pace quickened - after each mile we'd say - "too fast, gotta slow down" - but each mile would be in and around that level.
    There were a couple of groups well ahead of us and I think that this was encouraging us to keep the pace strong - we wouldn't catch them for a good while.
    Even though the pace was sharp - I was feeling quite good - I was hopeful that I could keep it going but mindful to back off if I felt any symptoms of too quick a pace.
    Great water stops that included banana's, water, & oranges that I walked through.

After about 12 miles I was thinking if I should reign it back or keep it going at MP - I decided to keep it going below 7 min/miles and try to creep under an ave of 7 min/miles for the full race - but also to see if I could speed up in the last 2.66 miles.

Mile 8-14 (7:07/6:56/6:53/6:51/ 6:51/6:58/ 6:57)

At mile 15 I felt comfortable, a bit pi$$ed that I was going too fast and thoughts crossed my mind that I'd leave my SS race here in Longwood.
    I had been breaking the race into compartments for a while now and wasn't thinking of 8 miles left or anything like that - it was a case of (for example) 4 miles til 4m to go - or - 2m til 3m to go - things like that really kept me focused.

At mile 16 I noticed my friend from Athlone ahead of me and managed to catch him by the hill at mile 17 - he was suffering, so I moved on - it was at this stage that I wanted to see if I had much in the tank, so I opened it up a little more - by christ, I felt fantastic - I passed the group who were ahead of me and was now in no mans land, but I didn't care - I felt strong and it was a case of finishing strong.

As I approached the last mile 2 guys passed me - I think the only runners to pass me in the whole race - I was running at a good clip, so left them off - it was a training session after all ;)

The last 0.66 was all about finishing it out - Officer Tang was there to offer support - I was feeling strong, but also wanting to finish - I turned the corner and finished into the chute, very pleased with my run, my effort and my time.

Mile 14-19:66 (6:52/6:53/6:56/6:36/6:41 - 6:36 for the last .66)

19.66m in 2.16.59 (6:58 average) - good enough for 40th Place which I'm delighted with.

Very happy with 6:58 average after a busy week - with poor preparation on the Saturday with hydration, nutrition & sleep - I'm now very confident that with a few more weeks good training behind me and a bit more focus on taper & race preparation, I can hold target MP for a full Marathon.

Great to meet up with the gang afterwards and swap war stories - Crisp Sambos were the order of the day, a great addition to any race.

Overall - delighted with the morning - great race, happy with my performance, great on-course stuff and amazing stuff after the race from watermelon to coffee, to fruitcake, to chocolate biscuits - amazing spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice to see you again yesterday, you looked completely at ease with about 600m left when I seen you. Bodes very well for San Seb for you, your right about staying in a different hotel to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ah damn, I didn't realise that was TBL with you yesterday...

PaulieC wrote: »

I'm only realising who you are now, jeez I'm slow. Don't know why, but always imagined you had loads of hair, not that I can talk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Where were you PC, I think I'd recognise you if I'd my glasses on!

TbL

tang1 wrote: »
    I'm only realising who you are now, jeez I'm slow. Don't know why, but always imagined you had loads of hair, not that I can talk!!

Always feel like a bit of a spiv introducing myself as a boards nickname...:o. Nice to meet you yesterday, another member of the aerodynamic running brigade :D

Where were you PC, I think I'd recognise you if I'd my glasses on!

TbL

I was only there for a minute. I'm assuming that you were the bloke leaning on Tang's car talking with AMK and Myles ?

Well done AMK, you're in savage shape, apart from your dodgy tan!

You looked very strong and controlled, and I reckon you should comfortably go sub 3 if you can stay healthy.

Faster finish would suggest you had plenty more left in the tank.

TbL

I was only there for a minute. I'm assuming that you were the bloke leaning on Tang's car talking with AMK and Myles ?

Sauve, debonair and dashing older gentleman, yes that was me :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Sauve, debonair and dashing older gentleman, yes that was me :)

TbL

With a penchant for exaggerating!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Must resist - too.many.jokes. :D:D:D:D

Nice job AMK, a good confidence boost no doubt and enough time between now and San Seb for the slightly faster pace not to matter as much as it would for the DCM crew (I'd imagine!).

Ah lads, thats a disaster. I though everyone knew everyone :)

Paulie - introducing yourself as PaulieC is a bit less of a spiv than saying your a bitter lemon (or AMK for that matter).

And anyway - TBL wouldn't remember - he introduced himself to me despite us meeting on a couple of occasions.

Thanks FD - yes, that thought did cross my mind earlier as I was working reading through others logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done yesterday, by the sounds of it sure it was just a walk in the park;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

"Looking good Billy Ray"

....can you name the film?

RedRunner wrote: »
    "Looking good Billy Ray"

....can you name the film?

Feeling good Louis............:cool:

Monday AM: Woke up with the legs feeling good - it must be the magical properties of red wine that done it as I had a lot of it on Sunday night.
    Ran to the pitches in Porterstown and done a few miles around them.

5.3m @ 8:10

Monday PM: Obviously the wine was wearing off as the legs felt tired on the 2nd run of the day.
    A raggedy 4.3m @ 8.44 pace.

Tuesday: I had 10m in the plan but the legs, body and mental state were feeling very tired. I could definitely feel the race in the body today.
    I ran down to the Run Hub to pick up a new reflective jacket and back up by the canal.

Body wasn't feeling it so just done an additional couple of miles and called it a day at 7.
    Stuffed my face, might even say 'gorged' on Tuesday night - mainly on stuff that isn't good for you.

7.15m @ 8:11

Wednesday: The 'Gorging' diet is obviously effective as my legs felt great on Wednesday.
    I had a session planned - 4x16mins @ MP - but I chose not to do it, given the race at the weekend and just do a plain vanilla 15m instead.
    Sensible is me.

I planned a nice route in my head, but that went out the window after about 5 mins - went back to the tried and trusted down to the PP and back. Actually went OK - I sometimes despise long vanilla runs and would rather have 'stuff' to do in them to keep them interesting.
    But in this case, I enjoyed it and think it as just what the doctor ordered.

Gorged again on Wednesday night. Copious amounts of tea (I always crave tea after long runs or sessions!!) but decent quality food. No bad stuff tonight.

15m @ 7:46

I might keep the rest of the week easy and possibly include the 4x16 mins in with my long run, which I have to do on Saturday morning this week due to 2 GAA finals on Sunday for my girls.

One of those finals will be my last game with my U16's as we will move out of the Juvenile ranks. 8 years with them as a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just catching up here, going great guns man (Great job in Athlone). Keep her between the ditches etc and its looking very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Have to agree with the majority here Alan. For someone who's not running the DCM because of an injury sustained already in the cycle, what's to be gained by doing it now as a training run? Not much if anything, and a major risk of fcuking things up if you go faster than your pre-race plan (which I think you may have already done in Athlone last week? Correct me if I'm wrong?). I don't know any plans that have 26m runs a fortnight out from the marathon, even the 'make you or break you' JD one's.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the majority here Alan. For someone who's not running the DCM because of an injury sustained already in the cycle, what's to be gained by doing it now as a training run? Not much if anything, and a major risk of fcuking things up if you go faster than your pre-race plan (which I think you may have already done in Athlone last week? Correct me if I'm wrong?). I don't know any plans that have 26m runs a fortnight out from the marathon, even the 'make you or break you' JD one's.

point taken.

Just on a detail - San Seb is 4 weeks after DCM, not 2.
    Dont think that makes a difference to your point either way??

• Advertisement

point taken.

Just on a detail - San Seb is 4 weeks after DCM, not 2.
    Dont think that makes a difference to your point either way??

It's probably slightly less risky in that case, but then how much recovery will you need afterwards? It's still 26.2m. Will that impact on the following week's training? Considering you've had a few injuries before, I think the risk outweighs the possible benefits (if there are any?). There must be a reason most (if not all) plans don't specify a training run at the full distance. If it was necessary, surely that wouldn't be the case? I remember aero2k telling me he didn't run further than 16m in training before running 2:48.

Thursday became a rest day as I had a work event on and the concept of free pints and free food was quite an attraction.

Friday: My plan initially was to do a few easy miles - I'm always tired on Fridays - and do the long run (24 miles) on Saturday due to GAA stuff on Sunday. That plan goes out the window when my youngest gets the call up to play up for the U15's in their championship final on Saturday morning.

So I thought about doing the run on Friday with the caveat of stopping at 16 or 18 if tiredness was a factor.

As it turned out, this was my most comfortable 20 miler ever. I didn't do the 24 as darkness set in but getting 20 done was a big bonus.
    Delighted with the run from a mental and physical perspective.

20m @ 7.43

Saturday: Dropped my youngest off for her GAA warm up and set off for a few miles around the giant roadwork that is Clontarf.

I ran down the bridge at Bull Island and as I came towards the seats at the end, I seen someone I knew.
    He was looking at me and I was looking at him. I was committed. He was committed. We couldn't look away.

"I know you" I said.
    "Was thinking the same" came the reply
    "Are you on Boards" I said.
    "Boards? Whats that - you were my manager a few years ago in HP" he said

:):)

6m @ 8:08

Sunday:

I was out on Sat night in the big Schmoke and woke up feeling a bit fuzzyon Sunday.
    Made it down just in time for the club run, but only 2 others turned up - this run varies from 20+ people to about 1 or 2 sometimes.

We done a bit of the park, but broke off down the NCR (Hi Overpronator) and went by Phisboro phisbouragh Dalymount park :) and turned up the canal.
    Nice run - the quads are a bit meh since Longwood 3/4 - so kept it to 10.

10.3m @ 7.47

68m for the week - I took it as a down week - no sessions but 2 good runs with Wednesdays MLR and Fridays long run - the closeness of these 2 together will help the endurance.

Looking forward to next week - 2 main runs will be a 15m session from SW's playbook (25min MP/ 5x4min T / 25min MP)and hopefully a 24m run at the weekend.

The following week I'll run 22m on the DCM course from the Zoo.
    Who's pacing 3:20 & 3:30??

Now - I must actually sign up for SS and book my flights :pac:

PS: my U16 team won the Shield final today - our last ever game together. Delighted and proud for them.I get a few hours back in the week now :)

yaboya1 & snailsong on 3.30 duty I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thursday became a rest day as I had a work event on and the concept of free pints and free food was quite an attraction.

Friday: My plan initially was to do a few easy miles - I'm always tired on Fridays - and do the long run (24 miles) on Saturday due to GAA stuff on Sunday. That plan goes out the window when my youngest gets the call up to play up for the U15's in their championship final on Saturday morning.

So I thought about doing the run on Friday with the caveat of stopping at 16 or 18 if tiredness was a factor.

As it turned out, this was my most comfortable 20 miler ever. I didn't do the 24 as darkness set in but getting 20 done was a big bonus.
    Delighted with the run from a mental and physical perspective.

20m @ 7.43

Saturday: Dropped my youngest off for her GAA warm up and set off for a few miles around the giant roadwork that is Clontarf.

I ran down the bridge at Bull Island and as I came towards the seats at the end, I seen someone I knew.
    He was looking at me and I was looking at him. I was committed. He was committed. We couldn't look away.

"I know you" I said.
    "Was thinking the same" came the reply

:):)

6m @ 8:08

Sunday:

I was out on Sat night in the big Schmoke and woke up feeling a bit fuzzyon Sunday.
    Made it down just in time for the club run, but only 2 others turned up - this run varies from 20+ people to about 1 or 2 sometimes.

We done a bit of the park, but broke off down the NCR (Hi Overpronator) and went by Phisboro phisbouragh Dalymount park :) and turned up the canal.
    Nice run - the quads are a bit meh since Longwood 3/4 - so kept it to 10.

10.3m @ 7.47

68m for the week - I took it as a down week - no sessions but 2 good runs with Wednesdays MLR and Fridays long run - the closeness of these 2 together will help the endurance.

Looking forward to next week - 2 main runs will be a 15m session from SW's playbook (25min MP/ 5x4min T / 25min MP)and hopefully a 24m run at the weekend.

The following week I'll run 22m on the DCM course from the Zoo.
    Who's pacing 3:20 & 3:30??

Now - I must actually sign up for SS and book my flights :pac:

PS: my U16 team won the Shield final today - our last ever game together. Delighted and proud for them.I get a few hours back in the week now :)

Well done on the Shield win. I can say that since it wasn't Erins Isle you were playing against :)

I'll have to hook into the Sunday AM club runs some time after DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

They are both at 3:40. I am on 3:30 duty and BeepBeep is one of the 3:20 group.

Manager of the year material right there...

FBOT01 wrote: »

They are both at 3:40. I am on 3:30 duty and BeepBeep is one of the 3:20 group.

Yeah, that looks the plan atm anyway.
    Was kind of hoping to be in FBOT's group so he could do the cheerleading and I could just run :)

Spent ages typing my update and it didn't upload................gggrrrrrr

Here's the short version:

Monday AM: 5.6m @ 8.00 - nice and easy
    Monday PM: 5m with 8x12 sec hill sprints

10.6 for the day

Tuesday: Session - 25min MP + 5x4min @ 5k-10k pace + 25min MP (faster than 1st rep)

Some confusion on the document arount the pace for the 4min sections - so targeted just under 6min/mile.

2 mile wu with stretching.

1st set 25 mins:
    Mile1: 6:40
    Mile2: 6:35
    Mile3: 6:45
    5 mins: 6:43

3min Jog afterwards.

4min Reps: 2 min recovery
    1. 6:04
    2. 5:51
    3. 5:59 bo11ixed after this
    4. 5:47 this one felt great - strange how that goes.
    5. 5:43 could of done 1 more.

3 min Recovery

2nd set 25 mins:
    Mile1: 6:27
    Mile2: 6:29
    Mile3: 6:31
    5.30 mins: 6:38

2mile cool down back home.

16 miles for the session.

Happy with the effort - liking these sessions.

PS - there was a funny story about a girl, but I'm not going through it again................. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Copy & paste it into something like Notepad first. I've got that "prove you're not a robot" type carry on a few times on this site (and hence lost all my script if I didn't do as above).

• Advertisement

Wednesday: This was one of the toughest runs of the cycle so far. Legs were a bit tired from Tuesdays session, but these endurance builders are certainly making me stronger. Kept it to 10 rather than the prescribed 13.

10m @ 8min/miles

Thursday: A very handy 4m recovery run at lunchtime.
    I've not had free evenings in a long time - there's always a run or GAA training - I was positively bored to tears.
    Was tempted to go and run again, but held off, so I ate everything.

4.2m @ 8:17

Friday: Got out of work late (4pm :) ) and wanted to get this done before darkness set in.
    Ran from the house and managed to do close to 12 miles without going past the Furze road in the Park.
    I've ran out of podcasts, so was listening to the radio (as I have a few times this week), but the bloody news never changes from day to day and at this stage I don't want to hear about another industrial action. There's more things happening in the world.

11.5m @ 7.46

Saturday: Bit of a strange weekend running wise.
    AM: I set out to do a few long strides on Sat morning (was tempted to do a parkrun, but took a lie in instead) - ran 1.5m upto a local park, done 8x40s with ~200m recovery around MSB's grass track and ran the short way home.

Loved the faster stuff - the knee must be fully better now as it gave me no issues before or after.
    A great little session.

4.22m

PM: My plan was originally to run 24m on Sunday - but on Sat evening, my wife was due to be going out, but got let down by her buddies, so there she was, new hair, nice clothes etc looking at me with those doe eyes asking me if I'd reschedule my sunday & go out with her -
    (...Thats not how it happened, she just told me I was going out. )

So whts a guy to do.
    I had a look back at my weekends and seen that out of the last 7 weeks I'd done 6x20m runs and a HM in Athlone. So maybe 24 wouldn't have been the best idea anyway.

With the idea of just doing 17-18 on Sunday, I set out again for a run down to the PP and back.

5.7m @ 7.56

9.9m for the day.

Sunday
    The alarm went off at 8 and was subsequently snoozed about 8 times.
    Eventually got up and pondered getting out later rather than doing it now.
    Reasoned that its best to get it done so off I went.

TMI bit coming up: After a few miles the body got going (in more ways than 1) and I felt like I needed a loo stop - not the sort of stop that a tree would cater for :)
    As I was going through the war memorial gardens, I was frantically looking for places to stop, but it lacked both the privacy or the right sized leaves :o

Going up towards Chapelizod (cant ever spell that place right) I seen the kids out at Donore Harriers and wondered if I'd make it over if I swam, but waited until I actually ran by it.
    But NO the door was closed and locked - no way of getting in.
    $hit I thought, literally, I was frantically looking around for a portaloo or something, only to be saved by a young lady who opened the door as I was leaving.
    Relief.

End of TMI :eek:

Remember the life lesson folks - If you drink the night before a long run, make sure to have your coffee in the morning and wait for a few mins for things to happen before you run. I'm AMK and I approve this message.

Really enjoyed the rest of the run :)

18m @ 7:37

This brought my weekly mileage to 80.4m and yet again I can say, highest weekly mileage ever.
    This might be my peak mileage week of this cycle, but I must say, the legs and body feel great.

Advertisement