Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Nova 100FM On Air Now

Options
  • 12-08-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Just Noticed a test for Radio Nova 100 Fm in The Dublin Area On 100.3 Playing some Nice Music.Is This Not A Rock Station Because the test music is like the stuff you`d hear on 4fm And Q102.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

for yee poor hoors outside Dublin The 90s Network are streaming it in 64kbps
    http://the90snetwork.ie/index.php/listen-live/ways-to-listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Bandscan wrote: »
    in .Is This Not A Rock Station Because the test music is like the stuff you`d hear on 4fm And Q102.

Thats the bit i was a bit concerned about....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's a classic rock station. Nothing I've heard on the test so far goes against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Same. Gah give it a break yas skeptical hippies!

Sids Not wrote: »
    Thats the bit i was a bit concerned about....

I have'nt heard it ..but i just hope they're idea of classic rock is'nt Eagles, Who, Mac.....all the time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Yea. the people on another radio forum are getting all erectional over the start of the test tx's

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

for yee poor hoors outside Dublin The 90s Network are streaming it in 64kbps
    http://the90snetwork.ie/index.php/listen-live/ways-to-listen

Ya like we need another radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Yeah, we need another station playing bland middle of the road rock.

I have'nt heard it ..but i just hope they're idea of classic rock is'nt Eagles, Who, Mac.....all the time...

Well I listened today to the test...not really suprised that they played all of the above....over and over....i'd love for some station to have a policy of never playing the same track twice in the same day..(except for promoting an Irish band maybe).....god i hope they dont f**k it up...MOR rock stations has been tried before and failed....fingers crossed they get it right...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Like you, Sid, I also hope they don't fcuk it up, but these are only tests.... On balance I've heard some great tracks and some stuff that I hope is binned before the launch.

The audio is good so far, needs a little more "punch" for a rock format maybe, but I'm sure that will be sorted out. It is refreshing tho that a station is determined to sound good from an audio perspective when compared to 2fm, fm104 and 2dayFM.

I'll be the first person to remove Nova from my preset if it doesn't deliver but lets give it a chance :)

• Advertisement

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Yeah, we need another station playing bland middle of the road rock.
    Hey Troll, care to name another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Yea. the people on another radio forum are getting all erectional over the start of the test tx's

They're tumescent (new favourite word)

Especially so over the return to Irish radio of Pat Courtnay...who I had never heard of before.

The guy says in an interview he left radio for a while to work as a head waiter for a friend's restaurant.

Call me skeptical but i call that "not being able to get another gig"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Now that the dust has settled on the line up, it's interesting to note that by my calculations only Enda Murphy, Pat James and Hugh O Brien transferred from The Rock. that's about 10% of the Rock staff. Are the rest lost to history. I have not included either Messrs Dooley or Courtenay as neither did programmes on that station I think. Bar a couple of jocks on Nova, I see no rock jocks - certainly not Miller, Murphy or Clack.

I'm old enough to have heard of them all...:o..and i'm glad to see the Rock's PJ on board....hope the powers to be dont tie his hands too much...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Btr wrote: »
    Now that the dust has settled on the line up, it's interesting to note that by my calculations only Enda Murphy, Pat James and Hugh O Brien transferred from The Rock. that's about 10% of the Rock staff. Are the rest lost to history. I have not included either Messrs Dooley or Courtenay as neither did programmes on that station I think. Bar a couple of jocks on Nova, I see no rock jocks - certainly not Miller, Murphy or Clack.

You are right that only a tiny proportion of 949 The Rock's staff have surfaced on this station's line up, and that is a shame. However, I must correct a few inaccuracies in what you have said, and, in particular, your statement about lack of rock jocks.

Enda Murphy was involved in both licence runs of 949 The Rock and Pat James the second run. Hugh O'Brien, I'm pretty sure, was not involved with The Rock, although he was lined up for Kevin's other temporary station Choice FM. Pat Courtenay was involved, in a small way, with the first temporary run: he had an entertainment news-type slot.

Okay, I'm not aware of Breffni Clack's rock credentials either. However, how can you say that Murphy (Enda) is not a rock jock, having been involved, as acknowledged by yourself, with The Rock? As regards Marty Miller, he presented "Dad Rock", a classic rock show on Sunday nights, for a few years on Today FM.

No rock jocks? The aforementioned Pat James was only known in radio for playing rock music. Most of his pirate career was taken up with "Rock Shows", the one exception I know of being Capitol Radio, which was heavily rock-oriented anyway.

Both Enda Murphy and Greg Gaughren were involved with Rock104 (now FM104). During the Rock104 phase (1991-1992), the musical emphasis was rock-oriented, although it was not tied to a rock format like Nova now is.

I saw on one of the radio forums that Greg used to host a rock show on '80s superpirate Kiss FM.

The lineup includes two rock musicians - Tommy Walsh and Rick Wakeman. The latter is a presenter on U.K. classic rock station Planet Rock. Tommy Walsh, as far as I know, was a guest presenter, along with musical project buddy Neil Hannon, on 2FM. I'm guessing, but I could be wrong, that this was a rock-oriented program.

The PD of the station and presenter Carol Dooley has nine years experience as a presenter and station manager of an American classic rock station - KISM.

So, in summary:
    1. Some people have a bit of rock radio experience and some have a lot. On the face of it, Pat James certainly seems to have more rock radio experience (in Irish radio anyway) than anyone else in the lineup, while Carol Dooley probably has more experience of same abroad than anyone else (not sure about Rick Wakeman).

2. The following have question marks in relation to rock radio experience: Hugh O'Brien, Mike Maloney, Breffni Clack, possibly Tommy Walsh, Barry Egan, Robbie Foy and Steve Downes. To be fair, I have no idea who the latter two are and it should be acknowledged that Barry Egan is a journalist.

..........................................................................................................................

It should also be bore in mind that the number of people involved at presentation level is quite small, which may skew the figures somewhat and obviously reduces the opportunities to take on more people with rock radio experience.

Looking at the lineup, there is an emphasis on experience over type of radio, and, clearly, Nova want an established breakfast presenter with a unique style which is what they got with Pat Courtenay - 98FM breakfast presenter (with Elaine Geraghty) from November 1989 to February 1997.

Just to put things into perspective and to illuminate.

Either way, does it really matter if any of them are rock jocks? They're going to be following a playlist anyway. Perhaps the true rock jocks,like Pat, will have a certain amount of discretion but not as a rule.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Either way, does it really matter if any of them are rock jocks? They're going to be following a playlist anyway. Perhaps the true rock jocks,like Pat, will have a certain amount of discretion but not as a rule.

Not if he wants to keep his job...................:eek:

Been listening to the test again...pleasently suprised with the varied selection ,hope its not spoiled with the dj's waffeling on about politics or traffic etc...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Declan, you've selectively quoted me which is a shame as I never said that there were no rock jocks on the stations. I fully acknowledged a few including Pat J.

As for Downes, the prog like Wakemans in undoubtedly syndicated as he's one of the top rock jocks stateside.

Ms Clacks last involvement this neckmof the woods was love songs I think on today fm

Courtenay like Carol Dooley did about 30 mins of talk for Rock Mach 2.

From talking to a few who worked for the Rock, they're obviously disappointed not more of them featured on Nova. They were for the most part v good,without doubt helped nova get a licence and were passionate.

But you know while I really do wish them the best of luck I'm baffled about the logic that thinks we need the likes of PC back on Irish radio after all these years. Heart ruling head ....maybe

Btr wrote: »
    But you know while I really do wish them the best of luck I'm baffled about the logic that thinks we need the likes of PC back on Irish radio after all these years. Heart ruling head ....maybe

I liked most of the jocks on the Rock tbh...but imo its the "big names".:o..that bring in the $$$$....just hope they can cut the mustard...;)

Not if he wants to keep his job...................:eek:

See? You are a budding Chris Cary.....:)

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    See? You are a budding Chris Cary.....:)

If only...............:D

It'd be great if it had the in your face, fuuck you attitude that most rock stations in the US have.

Fago! wrote: »
    It'd be great if it had the in your face, fuuck you attitude that most rock stations in the US have.

A lot of listeners here would'nt be able for that sort of carry on...........:)

A lot of listeners here would'nt be able for that sort of carry on...........:)

Pussies the lotta them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I like what they are playing so far, it's a nice mix of vintage rock and 80's pop and coverage is ok (it does drop out in places like Vico road etc). I won't miss those 'on fm, on digital, on line, on prancer' adverts every 2.8 minutes that certain other stations play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

Had a listen today between 3 and 6 and have to say i liked what i heard. Good mix of songs, hope it stays the same when it goes offical. Was driving south down the N11 and it started breaking up around Glen o Downs.

I remember 10 odd years ago when spin came out the test sounded good (for my ears at the time :) ) but oh how it wasnt the same when it aired.

I'm likin the mix too....although if theyre playing Pearl Jam and REM i'm wondering why i havent heard Foo's ,Metallica, The Pixies, Wedding Present yet...heres hoping...;)

I hope they play classic metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm likin the mix too....although if theyre playing Pearl Jam and REM i'm wondering why i havent heard Foo's ,Metallica, The Pixies, Wedding Present yet...heres hoping...;)

Played some Iron Maiden earlier now that i think about it

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear a version of Dusty Springfields Goin' Back played yesterday between 4.30 and 5 pm? Female singer (not Dusty). Great version and would love to get me mits on it if anyone can tell me who it's by.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement