Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Cairns' Murder finally confirmed?

Options

Comments

Tbh, it's so incredibly convenient, and abhorrent, that I wonder is there any truth.

People "confess" to strange stuff all the time.

I'd be sceptical. All we have is a claim.

Strange that he couldn't disclose where the body was disposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Strange that he couldn't disclose where the body was disposed.

He was on his deathbed. He could probably barely articulate his own name.

Allyall wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a horrible reason as to why he wouldn't tell them where his body is.. If there are more too.

She must know more than she's letting on.

Or she knows less, and the whole thing is a fabrication. He wants to mess with the Gardai, she has a story that gives some false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Or she knows less, and the whole thing is a fabrication. He wants to mess with the Gardai, she has a story that gives some false hope.

I doubt she knows less..
    The Gardaí have had some of her statement confirmed by Cooke before he died.
    She must know more. She must have asked him questions when she came to in the car, she must have asked him questions at least once over the 30 years.
    She must remember where they were in the car that day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

That was my first impression, but the RTE story says the Gardaí confirmed some of the details with Cooke. We'll have to wait until we get more information to find out whether this woman fabricated the story or not.

Either way, this woman doesn't come out of this well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

How do you know she wasn't a child herself? And a victim at that.

There could be so much more to this, but yeah, keep the pitch forks at the ready.

The boy disappeared 30 years ago. That's long enough for anyone to have gone to the Gardaí and made a statement.

If this story is true its way too little and way too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

She should be locked up for attempting to defeat/perverting the course of justice or whatever the equivalent is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There are a lot of questions on this.

If, as the woman said, Philip knew Cooke, surely, given Cookes history that this avenue was investigated before now.? Or maybe it was at the time.

It's one of those cases where you hope someone somewhere finds their conscience or a breakthrough is made.

I always think of Philip in the photo with his red rosette. I'm only a couple of years older than him and it scared us so much at the time.

I do think we need to know the circumstances to see why the woman kept the secret till now. Or even if as someone said, it's not a fabrication.

I hope for the family's sake that the truth will out and I hope against the odds and pray that the Cairns family (I see Philips Father has passed)find their son and finally lay him to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

There could be so much more to this, but yeah, keep the pitch forks at the ready.

It could be that she's a victim of his, but I also wondered if it was his wife. Perhaps she's one of those brow-beaten, emotionally battered (and possibly physically) women who are under their husband's control, and was too terrified of him to say anything until he was in hospice care and on his deathbed, then she knew he could no longer control her or react to her disclosing info. She'd also be quite elderly if that's the case, and may be having pangs of conscience now.

Whoever she is, I suspect there are complex reasons for her withholding the info rather than her simply not being ar5ed, or not giving a fcuk.

• Advertisement

That was my first impression, but the RTE story says the Gardaí confirmed some of the details with Cooke. We'll have to wait until we get more information to find out whether this woman fabricated the story or not.

Either way, this woman doesn't come out of this well.

As a convicted child abuser, it's highly possible he may have come into some information about the incident that would not be too public. I presume the child abuse ring is fairly tight and info passes between them.

But that's a long way short of saying he did it, she knew, she covered up etc. The one thing we can say with certainty, when he had nothing to lose, when pressed on details like where the body was, he didn't answer.

The whole thing is almost too depressing to think about. Such a dark dark world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

To the morons who are baying for blood, the woman first made contact with the Gardai after an appeal for info in 2011. She then made a statement in May this year. What happened in between we do not know.But the fact is, she made the statement before Cooke died. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-believe-paedophile-dj-eamon-captain-cooke-may-have-killed-schoolboy-philip-cairns-34790504.html

prinzeugen wrote: »
    She should be locked up for attempting to defeat/perverting the course of justice or whatever the equivalent is here.

Only if it is proved that she did so eg. when questioned, she lied.

Coming forward years later is not an offence. And either way I'd be highly sceptical about the entire story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You may have seen that one of Ireland's most well known missing persons case has had a massive break through in recent weeks.
    Convicted paedophile Eamon Cooke may have killed 13-year-old Philip Cairns - reports http://jrnl.ie/2817164

I was very young when Philip disappeared in 1986 but I have read details and updates of his story on several occasions over the years. It was always believed, I think, that someone who know Philip and whom Philip knew was involved in his disappearance.

His family suffered for so many years, never knowing the detail of his fate and perhaps more than anything never had an opportunity to lay him to rest.

According to media reports an unnamed woman recently came forward with significant new evidence that would have painted the full (or at least a major amount) picture as to his disappearance.

It does not yet seem clear as to the circumstances behind the woman coming forward at this time.

It seems that her coming forward was too late to 1) bring the primary suspect to justice and 2)to identify Philip's final resting place.

I don't know why she waited 3 decades to come forward with this key information, and I really don't know how anyone could live with such a thing on their conscience for so long - especially IF she was not involved in the murder.

I have to question her involvement, but even if she did not participate in the killing I hope she's charged with withholding information (unless she had some overriding reason to do so, though I cannot imagine what it might be).

If there is an afterlife, I hope the perpetrator suffers greatly.

I hope that there is some further shred of evidence that could lead to finding Philip's remains for his mother and his family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

would Eamon Cooke have been a well known character/celebrity for 13 yr old schoolboy to know back then???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We need to stop been so good to these absolute scum.

He hopefully died an excruciating horrible painful death may he never rest in peace.

That woman should do time no questions.

How in god's name can that filth get the best of care in a hospice when people who really should be given that care that are in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

So heartbreaking to think his Dad died without them finding his son or who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Didn't they dig up an area of a golf course a few years ago in relation to this case? I wonder if that was based off her info?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,264 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The woman needs to be named and publically identified in the media so she can never enjoy one minute of what remains of her life in this country. The heartbreak of Philips family not knowing what happened to him and the amount of man hours that went in to the search when she knew all along where she last saw him.

We need to stop been so good to these absolute scum.

He hopefully died an excruciating horrible painful death may he never rest in peace.

That woman should do time no questions.

How in god's name can that filth get the best of care in a hospice when people who really should be given that care that are in need.

Turn around that situation and you have an innocent bystander who witnesses a gangland or IRA murder and for 30 years they keep this info to themselves? If they get an attack of the conscience, do they report it and face heavy prosecution or is the actual facts of the situation that are taken into account?

What you suggest would set an awful precedent. The actual facts are important

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The boy disappeared 30 years ago. That's long enough for anyone to have gone to the Gardaí and made a statement.

If this story is true its way too little and way too late.

Would it not just have been her word vs his??

As it only appears to been confirmed by him on his deathbed and he wouldn't have if he was a freeman

There's very little evidence as such only his confession??

......but I do think it's beyond scummy not to have given up the location of the body even if it was to be revealed after his death

The woman needs to be named and publically identified in the media so she can never enjoy one minute of what remains of her life in this country. The heartbreak of Philips family not knowing what happened to him and the amount of man hours that went in to the search when she knew all along where she last saw him.

Again, remember that the woman is a witness and not the.perpetrator. if she is named and shamed where does this leave witness protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Jesus. I remember that old bastard on Radio Dublin. Hope he burns in Hell for eternity

It's easy to take out the pitchforks for her and quite understandable, but nobody knows the background. She may have even been a victim of him and afraid or in receipt of the kind of circumstantial witness information that she mistakenly feared she may be implicated erroneously.

Probably best not to jump to conclusions. Some of the posts here are completely OTT.

Would the cops not have identified a pattern later on when the children he molested in the 70s came forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

philstar wrote: »
    would Eamon Cooke have been a well known character/celebrity for 13 yr old schoolboy to know back then???

Possibly. Remember it was Dublin in the 80s. Bleak. I remember thinking the pirate station djs were these big stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,264 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Again, remember that the woman is a witness and not the.perpetrator. if she is named and shamed where does this leave witness protection?

She's as guilty as him if she held it this long, utter scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I don't buy this, cooke was old , infirm and lets not remember locked up for fcuking ages before this , he was jailed in 2007 that is almost 10 years ago....she had 10 years of freedom from whatever hold you suggest to give this info....

because you are afraid or a victim you don't get a carte blanche on responsibilities.

arayess wrote: »
    I don't buy this, cooke was old , infirm and lets not remember locked up for fcuking ages before this , he was jailed in 2007 that is almost 10 years ago....she had 10 years of freedom from whatever hold you suggest to give this info....

because you are afraid or a victim you don't get a carte blanche on responsibilities.

Fear isn't rational.

That said, nobody actually knows the facts here so we're all hypothesising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's easy to take out the pitchforks for her and quite understandable, but nobody knows the background. She may have even been a victim of him and afraid or in receipt of the kind of circumstantial witness information that she mistakenly feared she may be implicated erroneously.

Probably best not to jump to conclusions. Some of the posts here are completely OTT.

Away with your logical and reasoned posts! Off with her head!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement