Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do you like changing oil :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Hal1 wrote: »

I only changed it because it was last done before the track day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hal1 wrote: »

I love changing it, out with the old in with the new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Me too, a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. Pouring the fresh stuff in is the best bit. :)

Me too, a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. Pouring the fresh stuff in is the best bit. :)

Anything is better than a dripping old oil filter :D That's why I love insert-type oil filters, you can pop the cover off and quickly pull the filter out and put it into a bag so it doesn't drip all over the place.

The filter on my car is the metal screw-on type and it's at an angle so every time I have to loosen it it ends up dripping all over the ground and on top of the inner CV boot :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bit of annual tidying on the fathers pajero, do a few bits every summer to keep it in line. None of it is anything too exciting, just small touches. Needs a new set of fog lights really. Might try and find a set of fitted mats too.

As with the focus, the end of them seat rails need painting. I spent about half an hour looking for the can of black spray, but couldn't find it, despite having it a few days prior, it's always the way :rolleyes:

2lw3frl.png

jq2wq9.png

2r3e1vp.png

2hea3v8.png

2lneglw.png

fute81.png

I got number 3 after ;)

2lc9pg4.png

2h2jhh0.png

2hd860j.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Busy with work so had no time to do much. Did change the plastic reg plates to the metal ones. :) The PCV hosing system is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Front coilovers installed, not to everyones taste but I like 'em :)

received_1438983952794162_zpsxprrizf4.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Children at play is fooken right :pac:

Front coilovers installed, not to everyones taste but I like 'em

I like the look of a car that sits low especially a car like yours if it were mine tho I'd raise it slightly, just a couple of mill so the arch is above the tyre. :) but it's not mine so I'll just mind my own business :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Needs more low :)

alta stare wrote: »
    I like the look of a car that sits low especially a car like yours if it were mine tho I'd raise it slightly, just a couple of mill so the arch is above the tyre. :) but it's not mine so I'll just mind my own business :D

Initially I was going to raise it a little and still probably will but at the moment even at that height there's no rubbing or catching!
    YbFocus wrote: »
    Needs more low :)

Once the rears go in there should be some more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Ah I was messing I wouldn't go further with it FN, if you aren't getting scrubbing then I'd leave it.
    Maybe a small spacer though, its a little tucked in there :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Ah I was messing I wouldn't go further with it FN, if you aren't getting scrubbing then I'd leave it.
    Maybe a small spacer though, its a little tucked in there :)

Ah I know, the fronts are as low as they can go as is, they'd probably just settle a slight bit more when the rears go in!

Initially I was going to raise it a little and still probably will but at the moment even at that height there's no rubbing or catching!

I would say it will look better raised ever so slightly. :D cracking car all the same love em in black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I've had an issue with my Avensis D4D since I got it where it doesn't boost properly. I've tried everything, between cleaning, checking and replacing parts. No eml either. I even blanked the egr but still the same. I had changed the vsv for a used one but I still thought that was the problem. I got another off the newer type engine. The block connector didn't fit, but it does now.;)

You can see the original still bolted on but disconnected, and the new one cable tied in place. I only drove 5 miles home from work, most of it in slow traffic, but so far there's definitely an improvement. I'll report back after a bit of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

387347.JPG

New brakes at the back. Checked the ones up front. Calipers cleaned and greased.

All is well.

Don't know where I found the enrgy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

alta stare wrote: »
    I would say it will look better raised ever so slightly. :D cracking car all the same love em in black.

Ye I think it would look better up a tad so you can see the threads of the tyre all round but sure its i not my car and it still looks well :). Seriously thinking of one of them for a next motor, just cant warm to the touring.. but I might go mad and just buy a saloon!

pablo128 wrote: »
    I've had an issue with my Avensis D4D since I got it where it doesn't boost properly. I've tried everything, between cleaning, checking and replacing parts. No eml either. I even blanked the egr but still the same. I had changed the vsv for a used one but I still thought that was the problem. I got another off the newer type engine. The block connector didn't fit, but it does now.;)

You can see the original still bolted on but disconnected, and the new one cable tied in place. I only drove 5 miles home from work, most of it in slow traffic, but so far there's definitely an improvement. I'll report back after a bit of mileage.

There was a similar problem with my mam's Corolla Verso 2.0 D4D. She was driving it for like a year and never complained about the poor performance until I had a shot and it felt very very very slow.

Turns out the hose running onto the turbo pressure sensor had popped off. I bought some small jubilee clips and tightened the hose onto the sensor. It was much quicker and fuel efficient after that :p

Toyota%20Avensis%20boost%20pressure%20sensor_0.jpg

Tackled a niggling issue that's annoyed me for some time now, the sunroof noise of the 740. The sunroof seal is renowned for being noisey above 100kph, the only solution until now was to close the sunshade and the noise disappears.

Transpires there's a revised sunroof seal from BMW, picked one up on eBay for about €50 (for a strip of rubber!).

1_zpsfmtyoke9.jpg~original

2_zpszgbihv2g.jpg~original

3_zpsppotprgb.jpg~original

Package states it needs "coding" which is basically just reinitialising the sunroof by holding down the open button:

4_zpsn4rywi4e.jpg~original

I used a heatgun to peel it off, mostly as one piece:

5_zpsq3nnjoou.jpg~original

6_zpsfdlypjwe.jpg~original

7_zpszkqrns4x.jpg~original

8_zpsrqcmq3wh.jpg~original

9_zpsfppncupm.jpg~original

Cleaned it up, went for a spin and... no more noise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Slideways

So I got new shiney lights for the front of my ute. The old ones were HID but the casings were shagged.

9" LED jobbies off eBay. They are ripoffs of ARB intensity but at a fraction of the price

They appear to be incredibly bright, roll on tonight and I'll head to the bush to see how good they are.

CAB617E0-F9DF-439F-8A27-6E06DD5FC73B.jpg

7C922D66-48D3-428A-99F6-C577BE6D33D1.jpg

E366EA1F-9AC0-4A52-9063-069563719289.jpg

I've hijacked this thread for the week. :)

Tortuous job last night, changed the transmission pan and filter, with all new screws, mechatronic sleeve and a 50% fluid flush.

1_zps6r5sbxak.jpg~original

I went with Mannol for the fluid, which is about the only ZF compatible fluid out there at literally 20% of the price of the ZF fluid. I got a nifty 10 litres, most kits include just 7.

2_zpsspj4nznm.jpg~original

SCT pan is made in Germany, identical to the OEM one:

4_zps3mamnxpq.jpg~original

201_zpshipbetv8.jpg~original

Included a full set of new pan screws and the mechatronic sleeve.

3_zpszxmaempl.jpg~original

The most daunting and time consuming part:

5_zpswjwkactx.jpg~original

6_zpsdxekjbgx.jpg~original

^^ It doesn't look level, but it is. Had to use some steel sheets to level it out from side to side as the floor isn't flat:

7_zps0exbtna4.jpg~original

Protective pan and heatshield removed:

11_zpsabtfavre.jpg~original

Exposing the pan with the infamous "lifetime fluid" sticker:

8_zpsbrdgr8t8.jpg~original

9_zpsqczuov2c.jpg~original

Pulled the plug and started the drain of the old fluid (after checking the fill plug could be undone):

10_zps6flo09lr.jpg~original

Once the fluid was out, could remove the pan. Drill really sped things up:

12_zpsladpl0un.jpg~original

Pan dropped down, with fluid still inside the integrated filter:

13_zpsfw25xina.jpg~original

No metal parts on the magnets at all:

14_zps3j3k9hay.jpg~original

The old fluid, which wasn't as black as I thought it would be after 89,000 miles:

15_zpshlwfomps.jpg~original

Old and new:

16_zpsayasipom.jpg~original

Exactly 5 litres was drained out, including spillage:

17_zpsqcwujttu.jpg~original

The underside of the transmission, a ZF GA6HP26Z, the first 6 speed automatic:

18_zpsyj5ij7xd.jpg~original

19_zps07g25dmq.jpg~original

Now for the mechatronic sleeve, what a nightmare, I lost an hour alone to this. All that's involved is disconnecting a control harness plug, undo a latch, pull out the sleeve and replaced with a new one.

I should really have dropped the transmission to get better access, but managed to get it replaced in the end, they're prone to leaking. The old and the new one:

20_zpspght3zm3.jpg~original

Its location on the side of the transmission:

21_zpsft3b1xvi.jpg~original

Harness plug back in place:

22_zpsudwhtbli.jpg~original

New pan in place with all new bolts and all torqued to 10Nm:

23_zpsulpnyvt1.jpg~original

Then the fill process begins:

24_zpsackh5kkc.jpg~original

Open the fill plug and pump in as much new fluid as it takes before it spills out. Plug back in and start the car.
    Back under the car and open the fill plug, pump in more fluid until it spills out.
    Plug back in.
    Get into the car, up in the air and work through P, D, N, R several times, holding on each for 5 seconds.
    Stick it back in P and climb under again and open the drain plug when the pan reaches 40 degrees Celsius; if fluid drains out, the gearbox is full. If not, pump more until it flows out. Job done.

These things are super handy for the above purpose:

25_zpskxfz1sul.jpg~original

All done, car shifts very well, but kinda did before hand. I'm going to drop the pan again at the weekend and drain another 4 litres or so and pump in the remainder of the fresh stuff, so it should be over 75% new.

A hateful job without a lift, some 4 hours with no breaks. Satisfying all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

We always seem to be tinkering with cars around the same time voodoo. Some nice work and great write ups as usual. Interesting car to see being taken apart. The aul focus not so much!

11m9h76.jpg

2ntloph.jpg

208hcpj.jpg

ddfhaf.jpg

2e3c01s.jpg

Between the new wheels, tires, springs and brakes it actually handles now. How the front pads and disks passed the NCT I don't know. No pics but 6% imbalance will give you an idea of how rotten the other side was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

[/QUOTE]
    All done, car shifts very well, but kinda did before hand. I'm going to drop the pan again at the weekend and drain another 4 litres or so and pump in the remainder of the fresh stuff, so it should be over 75% new.
    [/QUOTE]

Really interesting write up Voodoo, thanks for sharing. Love how obsessive you are with the car.

On above, do you have to drop the pan again, can you not just remove the sump plug and drain? Or are you trying to remove the oil that is retained in the base of the pan? Where there instructions for a specific bolt order to attaching the pan?

You're right the pan doesn't need to be dropped again, just pull the drain plug the next time and refill. You don't get as much out, but should only be about a litre less.

ZF have all the info you need:

http://www.zftranspart.com/images/custom/mecha.pdf

panbolts_zps9g28nb4o.jpg~original

Sorted the breather hoses on the car, had one left to do today as they forgot to place it in with a previous order :mad: Another job done. I may give my wallet a rest for a couple of weeks :D

27424265995_af998e8c07_z.jpg

27325638962_7b828a84f7_z.jpg

Installed my Eonon Android head unit today. Perfect day for the installation after work because all the radio stations were banging with 90s club classics :p

Everything was really plug and play except for the amplifier power cable. Works awesome! I'm tethering my phone's data using WiFi and then I can listen to Spotify while driving.

6qir9cw.jpg?1

th41q3J.jpg?1

NCDAzST.jpg?1

pYYemVW.jpg?1

KSnMyMH.jpg?1

dM0ZIa6.jpg?1

Also changed the post-cat O2 sensor on the Yaris. Emissions improved a bit but will still fail so I will do the pre-cat sensor next. The post-cat sensor was in bits and the cap was loose on it.

You're welcome :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nothing to add(as usual), but I bloody love this thread. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement