Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wow nice job, will you be fitting a reversing camera / rear dashcam in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Hal1 wrote: »
    Wow nice job, will you be fitting a reversing camera / rear dashcam in the future?

I was thinking of getting the reverse camera but decided against it because:
    1. It would look stupid at the back of the car on the outside
    2. I'm actually a competent enough driver to not need one

I don't need a rear dashcam because nobody's ever behind me and if they are they get blasted in smoke, hai. Am I doing the culchie thing right, fancy pigeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

shietpilot wrote:
    I was thinking of getting the reverse camera but decided against it because: It would look stupid at the back of the car on the outsideI'm actually a competent enough driver to not need one I don't need a rear dashcam because nobody's ever behind me and if they are they get blasted in smoke, hai. Am I doing the culchie thing right, fancy pigeon?

You need a big cb aerial and dirty massive rubber mats of mud flaps to get real in on the culchie thing!

You need a big cb aerial and dirty massive rubber mats of mud flaps to get real in on the culchie thing!

I was hoping the reg would be enough... :D

• Advertisement

I'm cringing at the thought of having weaker registration plate lighting on one side :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nothing to add(as usual), but I bloody love this thread. :)

Some savage work going into a lot of cars here. Summers here, time to get to work I guess!
    shietpilot wrote: »
    I'm cringing at the thought of having weaker registration plate lighting on one side :eek:

Ah you'll never be looking at it!

It's a toughened acrylic as far as I know.

Ah you'll never be looking at it!

Trust me, I always look at my registration plate lighting after months of struggles with flashing LED bulbs :eek:
    Hal1 wrote: »
    It's a toughened acrylic as far as I know.

By weaker I mean the festoon bulb will output more light than the 2 small LED chips on the reversing camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some savage work going into a lot of cars here. Summers here, time to get to work I guess!

Just goes to show what a difference the weather makes and why Ireland isn't really a motoring nation. It's so glum all the time, no one really tackles anything themselves and there's less motoring pride here than in warmer climates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Almost 2 years drove with fuel tank leaking slightly.

Just to remind you, here's the fuel tank replacement short story:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92089181

Appeared that PVC seals I had were not good enough and caused fuel to escape when tank was full (so actually once a week).

Finally, yesterday I took the tank off, squeezed some silicone off the tube and replaced the whole thing.

Spent entire day fighting against a tank, exhaust and other bits and pieces under a car - modifications I've done made fuel pump inaccessible from the top - I'm gonna post a photo later and ask ye all for advice.

But now - time for well deserved barbecue and a couple of Polish craft beers anxiously waiting for me in a fridge. :D

Just goes to show what a difference the weather makes and why Ireland isn't really a motoring nation. It's so glum all the time, no one really tackles anything themselves and there's less motoring pride here than in warmer climates.

Working on your car in this weather is crap. Way too hot unless you can work in the shade :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

reattached the drivers side splitter that was hanging off since I changed the indicator bulb last month.

Civic ownership is so uneventful.

Picked up oil and filter today so will at least have something to do on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

I got the famous failure in the Megane MK2's rear electric windows. The right one has gone crazy and went down randomly, so I found the window open when going to the car. Would not go up using the button. I did the trick of getting it up with the sequence:
    1- double lock with the key card, this gets the window up a notch.
    2- take out 40 amp fuse, put it back again
    3- go to 1-, repeating until window is completely up
    4- take out 40 amp fuse, thus locking up the rear windows, until you repair the issue.

Now I have to find time and tools (mostly screwdriver and WD-40) to do this trick:
    suggys. co.uk/renault-megane-mk2-windows-stuck-open-fix/

Wish me luck, lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

fmcato wrote: »
    I got the famous failure in the Megane MK2's rear electric windows. The right one has gone crazy and went down randomly, so I found the window open when going to the car. Would not go up using the button. I did the trick of getting it up with the sequence:
    Wish me luck, lads!
    Crazed_woman_attac_2772610n.jpg

Changed the pre-cat lambda sensor on the Yaris today so now it has fresh Denso post and pre-cat sensors. I noticed it idles much better with the new pre-cat sensor. It used to idle a bit rough when warmed up and now it's super smooth. The fumes coming out the exhaust don't stink like unburned petrol anymore. Maybe she'll pass the NCT now! :p

shietpilot wrote: »
    Changed the pre-cat lambda sensor on the Yaris today so now it has fresh Denso post and pre-cat sensors. I noticed it idles much better with the new pre-cat sensor. It used to idle a bit rough when warmed up and now it's super smooth. The fumes coming out the exhaust don't stink like unburned petrol anymore. Maybe she'll pass the NCT now! :p

Just had the emissions checked at the local garage and she's passing with flying colours :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I got a set of genuine used Toyota wheel trims this evening off a young lad on adverts.ie. Her old wheel trims were robbed off the car a few weeks ago and she was giving out about the horrible black steel wheels. Her sister in laws car blew the head gasket recently and she went out and bought a brand new Hyundai i5 or something.

There's nothing like the thought of a 15 or 20k debt to spur a man into action. 40 quid later and she's happy with her car again.:D

Drip drip
    image.jpg

Durrrty
    image.jpg

No expense spared
    image.jpg

Glug glug
    image.jpg

I wonder - who makes the oil filters for Halfords?

• Advertisement

Where made by Fram as far as I know, even the halfords one for the civic isn't that cheap with the trade card. €7 as far as I know.
    Filter for a k11 micra is like €3.63 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

How easy is it to get a trade card if youre not in the trade? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How easy is it to get a trade card if youre not in the trade? :D

The official way... http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15554_productId_722615_langId_-1_categoryId_211014

But I do recall someone posting on here some years back getting is much much easier, basially blagged it.

What is the trade discount like? I always use the 10% off from Group Schemes :)

Think the oil (5l 5w30 synth) worked out at €26 instead of €35, filter €7 instead of €9.50
    The discount used to be more, but the RRP on oil used to be a lot more than it is these days.
    I could often get Total Quantum fully synth from Micksgarage a little cheaper, but it was handy to just pick it up in the shop.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think the oil (5l 5w30 synth) worked out at €26 instead of €35, filter €7 instead of €9.50
    The discount used to be more, but the RRP on oil used to be a lot more than it is these days.
    I could often get Total Quantum fully synth from Micksgarage a little cheaper, but it was handy to just pick it up in the shop.

Around 25% off then! Not too bad. €26 is good going for 5 litres of oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

Say you work in whatever retail park the Halfords branch is in and do they offer park workers a discount and youll get 15% off, better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Re-replaced the rear wiper arm on my car today. The replacement I got that was made by Lucas was a pile of crap. There was no tension so it was missing half the rear screen. I swapped out the blade from the new one into an older arm. I thought Lucas were a good brand but apparently not.

Also, I sorted out the squeaky clutch pedal with some lithium grease spray. Nice and easy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Driving home yesterday evening and all of a sudden my speedo, rev counter & odometer stopped working. The backlights of the cluster & warning lights remained fine though.

Quick google showed me the way back from estimating my speed.

How it looked to begin,
    20160613_200814.jpg

1st I disconnected the negative on the battery, I have a strong justified fear of airbags so I nearly always do it when I'm flooting around near steering wheels.
    Bezel off with just 2 screws:
    20160613_201528.jpg

Cluster out with a further 3 screws -:
    20160613_202209.jpg

Now to remove the digital odometer unit, just takes 2 screws & carefully peeling back of the flexible circuitry and pull out the plug.
    20160613_202853.jpg

Needed a little drop of solder on the little box with 4.000 on it nearest my index finger, seems like someones been in here before, some slight melting going on too.
    20160613_204054.jpg

Odometer back in:
    20160613_204630.jpg

And now the cluster is back telling me to slow down to fupp.
    20160613_210006.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

After turning A/C off there was a stink, caused by bacteria. I guess the previous owners did not use A/C much.

So at Halfords I bought one of those A/C cleaning sprays that are easy to use (10 minutes running with A/C at max, all vents open, air on recirculation...) and worked. Though the smell of the cleaner is a bit too strong, it is wearing out with time and now there are no more weird smells when using A/C.

Still have to fix that pesky rear right window regulator...

Advertisement