Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Removed the maf today to give it a clean. Easy job when have a bloody ts25 key spent more time trying to get one then do the job!
    Maf removed
    20160614_195704_zpsknjs0hws.jpg
    Let it soak in IPA for 15 mins
    20160614_182636_zpswrhmemmx.jpg
    Put all back together again. Did a KAM reset also while doing the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Cleaned up the car and got the add ready for Donedeal :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

shietpilot wrote: »
    Working on your car in this weather is crap. Way too hot unless you can work in the shade :pac:

I take that back. I have lots of bits to do but the rain is awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

My 4x4 started leaking at the front output shaft from the transfer box

A8175A99-F56A-4A2D-8218-93EE551191C7.jpg

Thought it would be the normal of dropping the driveshaft, remove a nut and change the seal. No such luck.

You have to drain the transfer box, remove the spring and retaining ball, 6 bolts and then split the transfer case. PITA

D734C98E-0BC7-4540-9614-D1FA2F4D1FF3.jpg

337ADF2B-5149-4B62-8C14-50396C7D831A.jpg

Done.
    Let's hope that stops the leak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Knock Knock....

Who's there?

Anti-Roll Bar drop links...

Oh... I'd better sort that.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/442641/389453.jpg

Rubber bush had popped off... I presume the washer popped over the nut too, they're quite narrow. The replacement nut has a welded washer

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/442641/389454.jpg

Had new poly bushes in the shed, but ordered new drop links to be fitted next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all have 2005 Mondeo tdci and was well over due a service so got all bits and got it done.

Have 2 drive up ramps and put 2 axle stands in for that little extra safety.

I changed wipers, pollen filter which was full of rubbish and black, air filter was filthy also and found a water bottle label restricting the breather so was really causing trouble., drained oil and removed oil filter slowly as to let drain.

Fitted new filter put a little oil into it and tightened back up then filled engine with oil.
    Also fitted new rear pads. There was one on metal rest still had loads of life left.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll just leave this here...
    https://www.facebook.com/cianycat/posts/10153856297744608

As I said a while back, myself and Fancy Pigeon attacked the wiring and won the battle. Simple as it comes now with just a spark, ECU and lights. We'll be attacking it again on Friday to rip apart the old, heavy air con unit and shed that depressing bit of weight!

It's simple, pure driving pleasure I'm after here. No distraction, nothing unnecessary, just driving.

I should really start a project thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here...
    https://www.facebook.com/cianycat/posts/10153856297744608

As I said a while back, myself and Fancy Pigeon attacked the wiring and won the battle. Simple as it comes now with just a spark, ECU and lights. We'll be attacking it again on Friday to rip apart the old, heavy air con unit and shed that depressing bit of weight!

It's simple, pure driving pleasure I'm after here. No distraction, nothing unnecessary, just driving.

I should really start a project thread.

Nice, when will it be road legal?

It needs brakes ( 100) and tyres ( 300) and I owe my girlfriend 150, so probably about 10-12 weeks on my current wages unless I decide to do something stupid like book a week away in October. :pac:

Needs a bit more than that really but it will be a driving project by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

It needs brakes ( 100) and tyres ( 300) and I owe my girlfriend 150, so probably about 10-12 weeks on my current wages unless I decide to do something stupid like book a week away in October. :pac:

Don't be stupid car parts always come before holidays always :pac:

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »

Don't be stupid car parts always come before holidays always :pac:

See I understand that, it's her that would need convincing. :rolleyes:

You know that has crossed my mind, I am thinking of full on weight loss, you can see I've ditched the carpets and door cards and in the future I also plan on buying lexan Windows but I would ideally love to keep the weight 50:50.
    Most of the weight is coming from the centre of the car though and I haven't got access to a 4 point scales so it's be hard to figure out what ratio I'm at.

Short term I want to shed weight, long term I'd like to look at balance... I think.

I also just had my aircon drained... It was empty to begin with. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

You know that has crossed my mind, I am thinking of full on weight loss, you can see I've ditched the carpets and door cards and in the future I also plan on buying lexan Windows but I would ideally love to keep the weight 50:50.
    Most of the weight is coming from the centre of the car though and I haven't got access to a 4 point scales so it's be hard to figure out what ratio I'm at.

Short term I want to shed weight, long term I'd like to look at balance... I think.

I also just had my aircon drained... It was empty to begin with. :pac:

I thought some soundproofing material on the panels would be a good way to add even weight to the rear of the car. The same stuff jozi is using on his e30 touring in the project thread. Stop you going deaf too :P

I see the sense in that, especially in a closed cabin with the weight of a hatchback sticking out the rear. Haha

The way I see it, I'm fairly handy at fabrication so if it comes to the weight being off, I'd rather make my own lightweight parts as apposed to adding weight to balance it out.
    Sure how expensive has aluminium got these days? :o

The noise levels shouldn't be too bad as they wont have anything to bounce off. In a hatch or an estate you end up sitting in an amplifier but in the cabrio the noise has plenty of space to escape. The noise of a 3" straight pipe out the back is more of a concern. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

Lexus Recall.. Well had my car in and sorted for the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe recall.. 3 hours later and job finished, after i dropped my car off, they dropped me to work and picked me up afterwards, also wash and hoovered as well.. well done Lexus..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

robbiew wrote: »
    Lexus Recall.. Well had my car in and sorted for the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe recall.. 3 hours later and job finished, after i dropped my car off, they dropped me to work and picked me up afterwards, also wash and hoovered as well.. well done Lexus..

Now that's service

top service now i have to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

robbiew wrote: »

Which lexus dealer was this. Credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Did an engine oil & filter change today, first one since i got the car in April it must not of been done in ages by the previous owner as the oil was jet black......got 5ltrs of Fuchs GT1 Pro 5w30 oil and a filter for 35euro from the local Volkswagen dealer.....happy out :D sorry no pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

alta stare wrote: »
    Did an engine oil & filter change today, first one since i got the car in April it must not of been done in ages by the previous owner as the oil was jet black......got 5ltrs of Fuchs GT1 Pro 5w30 oil and a filter for 35euro from the local Volkswagen dealer.....happy out :D sorry no pics.

Petrol or diesel? Especially on a diesel, the oil will be black after about 20km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Petrol or diesel? Especially on a diesel, the oil will be black after about 20km.

Petrol 1.8t MK 4 Golf GTI 2001 with 100000 miles. I put 2k miles before I got to change the oil. I'll keep changing it every 9000 miles or so and that should keep it ticking over :D

Which lexus dealer was this. Credit where credit is due.

Kinsale roundabout in Cork. Lehanes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A much needed brake fluid change was done earlier. I noticed that my pedal wasn't very happy and not very predictable. I'd only replaced it 17k miles ago in February.

Disclaimer: I have bad shakes in my hand, before you complain of my crappy photo skills

The stuff in it was Ferodo, I decided to put in this stuff
    https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7718/27889038026_d7d503679a_k.jpg

I initially tried to change it with a push through system but it wasn't working properly. I changed to a suction setup instead
    https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7311/27889038146_c07a0ef026_k.jpg

The fluid wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but still needed replacing
    https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7568/27889038326_55b7ad3a5d_k.jpg

The stuff in the clutch however... :eek:
    https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7547/27889038396_f31e969c18_k.jpg

My bucket of piss. Granted the clutch stuff didn't help but after 17k miles...
    https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7325/27821830342_90757fcca5_k.jpg

While I had the wheels off I gave them a much needed clean. No point taking pics of all 4 wheels, the result was the same
    https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7467/27889038086_a9c41c495d_k.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7128/27889038256_d19c31890d_k.jpg

A quick test drive confirmed a much better pedal feel :) and the new wheels look well cleaned up :D
    https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7306/27821830362_3932a398e9_k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A quick clean of the car in a Lyon back alley with a coolbox full of water. Brought a washmitt, shampoo and drying towel with me; some things never change... 3000km under the belt, not too shabby.

final_zpsjdrblo8n.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A quick clean of the car in a Lyon back alley with a coolbox full of water. Brought a washmitt, shampoo and drying towel with me; some things never change... 3000km under the belt, not too shabby.

You could put the Irish flag at half mast for the return trip :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've got Recaro seats and I love them. Yay! This particular model really suffers from bolster collapse and I hate that. Boo! So for ages I've been threatening to sort it.

The before… Ye can see how it's all rumpled and saggy.

390059.jpg

I got the genuine replacement bolster from a crowd in the UK, Capital seating. (pro tip; their ebay shop prices are slightly cheaper). Very good service.

This is a thundering prick of a job. At least I found it so. There are various online guides, but there will be blood and cursing and appeals to higher powers.

Old and new bolsters…

390060.jpg

The old was utterly fecked. Half of the foam had powdered and rips all over the place, with the seat frame poking through. Looks like the stuff isn't UV resistant, or at least the bit below the seat frame out of the light looked far healthier. The main problem is how high the bolster is. You can't help but bang into it getting in and out of the car.

After much struggling and heaving(these are not light seats) the result.

390062.jpg

:D Actually after I got the seat back in my car it feels sooooo much better. Way grippier. I mean feels like you could hang upside down in the seat minus a seatbelt grippier. Though if if you're more plush of frame you won't fit easily. Giving J-Lo a lift is out of the question. :D Looks far better too and the creases from the old bolster are smoothing away. Takes years off it. The Alacantara stuff is not made for longevity mind you…

Oh and I found my very first Japanese coin. Most with imports seem to find loads.

390063.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Finally had my New rear LED fogs fitted today.. didn't fit myself though, couldn't be arsed taking off the rear bumper.
    AXeUcjx.jpg?1
    7ei1iIs.jpg?1
    VrKkjVn.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Wibbs wrote:
    I've got Recaro seats and I love them. Yay! This particular model really suffers from bolster collapse and I hate that. Boo! So for ages I've been threatening to sort it.

What car is that seat from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wibbs wrote:

What car is that seat from?
    Looks like from a Honda Type R.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D

Nail on the head from Señor Wotzgoingon, Honda Integra Type R. Same seats in the EK9 Civic R of the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement